TFLCM - Chapter 28




Have you seen it?

I swallowed the words I couldn't bring myself to say. It wasn't like I could ask, "This is a sudden question, but have you noticed that I'm a wolf?"

As I stammered, unable to say anything, Noelier tilted his head and spoke.

"Ah. Come to think of it, you went out for a walk, didn't you?"

"...What?"

Walk?

"I was very surprised that you suddenly disappeared. You must not have been feeling well."

"..."

Away?

What are you suddenly talking about?

I tilted my head, not understanding. Soon, I nodded vigorously, saying, "Ah!"

"Yes! That's right! I had a really high fever, so I wanted to go for a walk."

"That is why you were out until such a late hour."

“That’s it!”

"You fell asleep right away after returning because you were so tired."

"Right, right! They are all correct!"

Judging by those words, it was clear that he hadn't noticed I had turned into a wolf. How could the timing be so perfect!

I smiled broadly and kept agreeing with him.

"..."

Then, the corners of his mouth began to twitch.

"...?"

What's funny?

I tilted my head with a bewildered look.

Noelier covered the corners of his mouth with his hand.

"Why?"

At my question, Noelier shook his head apologetically and lowered his hand. However, a smile still lingered on his face.

"I'm sorry. Something else suddenly came to mind."

"...?"

"Hmm, so have you felt a little better?'

Right, I was sick.

I checked my physical condition. My head, nose, and throat were calm, just as usual. It seemed like my cold was completely gone.

"Yes, it's okay."

"That's a relief. It looks like going for a long walk had an effect."

“Yeah, that’s right..."

It feels like I put some emphasis on the word 'walk'... but it's probably nothing.

I tried to smile, thinking that.

As if my forced smile didn't bother him, he smiled back at me.

"I would like to go with you next time as well."

“Together?”

"Yes."

Saying that, he slowly reached out his hand, as if asking for permission. His white fingers lingered near his face.

I quietly waited for his next move. His hesitant fingers touched my cheek. The warmth I had felt before waking up flowed in.

I thought his face would turn red again, but contrary to my expectations, he looked calm.

He tidied up my hair, which had been a mess while I was sleeping, and with a small smile, he pulled his hand away.

"It means that if you catch a cold again, please don't just go out aimlessly but find me."

"..."

"Because it is dangerous to go out while sick."

"..."

The sunlight coming through the window was pouring down onto Noelia.

A gentle tone of voice, a soft touch, a warm body temperature.

I felt strange. It was to the point where I couldn't even say "Yes."

Perhaps because I was by his side, it seemed to have gotten a bit hotter.

"Eve?"

"..."

It was when I was staring at him blankly, like someone possessed by something.

"Ruby, I can't breathe..."

“Be quiet!”

"But..."

"It’s perfect right now. Don’t ruin the mood!"

Whispering voices squeezed between the two of us. It jolted me awake, as if cold water had been poured over me.

I turned my head toward the squirming children. They were whispering something with serious expressions on their faces.

"I told you, we need to be quiet for the mood to set."

"But Ruby covered my mouth, so I can't breathe."

"I'm just worried you might say something weird again, right? Read the mood, the mood?"

"Too bad..."

What are you trying to do now?

It hasn't been that long since you sneaked out and caused that mess!

I crouched down toward the children with a fierce glare. The children continued talking as if they didn't even realize I was listening.

"But Ruby, I don't think you necessarily have to do it."

"Why?"

"Your brother is perfect in every way, isn't he?"

"It's still not enough. My brother doesn't cry much..."

"What are you two talking about?"

“Ugh!”

At my interference, the children trembled as if struck by lightning.

The sight of them hurriedly pulling away from me was quite a spectacle. I shrugged one eyebrow with my hands on my hips.

“Uh, sister...”

“Sister...”

"What ulterior motive are you plotting again? Huh?"

I narrowed my eyebrows with a deliberately serious expression.

Zion stammered, unable to say a word, and Rachel glanced at Noelier behind me with a bewildered look.

“Rachel?”

When I asked again, Rachel flinched and looked up at me.

As I nodded as if urging her to answer, Rachel wrapped her arms around my waist in a playful manner.

"Haha."

"Do you think I'll fall for this?"

"Yeah, it's hot."

"..."

"It feels like fire is going to come 
out..."

"Stick tight with your arms; it'll be a big problem if you fall."

Since the fire is coming out, it can't be helped.

I hugged Rachel tightly. Rachel clung to me like an affectionate cat.

“Are you cool?”

"Yes, I love it so much. You really are the only one like you."

I patted Rachel's back, letting the cold air flow out. A giggling voice, sounding pleased, spread from behind me. I patted Rachel for a long time with my back to Noelier.

"..."

Then, I suddenly turned my head at the sight of a gaze.

"..."

"..."

"What are you two doing?"

Rachel and Noelier seemed to exchange a gaze that only siblings could understand. Their eyes felt as hot as their magic.

At my question, the siblings' gaze fell. They smiled at me and shook their heads as if by prearrangement.

"Nothing..."

“I didn’t, sister.”

Rachel quickly interrupted Noelier's words. Then, she nonchalantly rubbed her face against my chest.

"You're the best, sister."

Ugh. So cute!

Where did such a lovely child come from?

Before I knew it, I had long forgotten the red cloak from the bleak novel. Smiling contentedly, I wrote about Rachel.

I touched it.

"I like it best when you stroke my hair, sister."

"Yes?"

"Yes, what about me, sister?"

"Me too. I like you too."

I rubbed my face against Rachel's head. I could do this for such a lovely child as much as I wanted.

"Hmm. I see. So you like this, big sister."

Rachel peeked her head out from under her arms, glanced at Noelier, and muttered.

Then, she turned her head away coyly.

"..."

Noelier looked at Rachel without saying a word.

I wonder if he'll be a little upset? Even though Rachel follows me well, her real family was Noelier.

I glanced at Noelier, trying to gauge his reaction. When our eyes met, he flashed a beautiful smile again.

As I met his sunny smile, I suddenly remembered falling asleep in his arms, oblivious to the world.

'It's crazy!'

I quickly spun my head away. Whether it was because of Rachel or not, I felt my face burning up.

Then, a click of the tongue was heard.

"Without needing this or that, the answer is..."

“Rachel?”

"yes?"

Rachel looked up at me, blinking her big eyes as if to ask what was wrong. Her infinitely pure and clear eyes were sparkling.

"Cute!"

I groaned and hugged Rachel tightly.

“Uh oh!”

At that, Zion sprang to his feet. There was also a hint of betrayal on his face.

“Sister, me?”

“You’re cute too.”

"Really?"

"My mouth hurts, Zion."

"Then hug me too!"

“Wait a minute, ah!”

True to his nature as a wolf, Zion ran toward me and hugged me tightly. Caught off guard, I found myself holding two children and struggled to break free.

"I can't breathe, guys..."

Just as I was flailing about, I met Noelier's eyes. Noelier, who had been looking at the children in my arms with a strange gaze, soon smiled faintly.

'Why is he acting like that?'

I was about to ask if anything was bothering him, but I had to turn my head back because of the children who were urging me on and whining.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments