TFLCM - Chapter 29






A red sunset settled over the winter forest. Noelier stood up from his seat, saying he had to go now.

After finishing tying Rachel's hair, I patted her bottom.

"Now, Rachel, you have to follow your brother too."

"..."

"...Rachel?"

I called out to her once more, urging her on, but Rachel remained motionless. She kept her bottom glued to the floor and showed no intention of getting up.

I looked at Rachel with a bewildered expression.

“Why, sister?”

"..."

“Hmm?”

Rachel tilted her head as if she knew nothing.

...Didn’t your memories come back?

I looked at Noelier with a troubled expression. He smiled as if to say it was fine and shook his head.

"I guess she still feels awkward."

"But..."

I looked at her with a troubled expression. I thought her memory might have returned a little...

Anyway, it seemed Rachel had to stay here longer.

When on earth will that damn memory return? I had no choice but to get up from my seat alone.

"I want to be your boyfriend too!"

Then Zion suddenly stood up.

"Zion."

Then, Rachel called out to Zion in a dry, emotionless voice. It was an expressionless face, one rarely seen on Rachel.

"Huh?"

"Let's not go out; let's just sit here."

Rachel gestured to the side with her eyes and hand. Zion tilted his head with a bewildered expression.

"Why? I want to see you off too."

"It's getting hot without you. Please help me out."

"I can't use ice! So, see you off with my sister..."

"Ear."

“Heeek!”

At Rachel's words, Zion trembled. Then, like a puppy given an order, he quickly sat down. His face was filled with fear.

Ears? What do you mean?

I tilted my head and bent down toward the children.

In the meantime, Rachel glanced at me for a moment and began whispering something to Zion.

"What? Tell me, too."

Rachel shook her head with a coy expression at my words.

"We didn't say much. Right?"

"..."

"Right, Zion?"

"Ugh..."

At Rachel's urging, Zion smiled awkwardly and nodded.

Are these little rats already making up a secret?

I glared at the children without being mean. Rachel giggled and covered the corners of her mouth as if to say she wouldn't speak.

It can't be helped. I chuckled at the innocent look and stood up from my seat.

“Goodbye.”

“Goodbye, bro..."

Two voices of different pitches saw Noelier off. Before leaving, Noelier took in her younger sister, Rachel.

"..."

"..."

The siblings' eyes met. They seemed to be having a silent conversation.

Just then, Rachel raised her hand and tapped the corner of her eye. Then, she nodded with a serious expression.

It was an action whose meaning was unclear, but Noelier nodded along with a serious face.

Is it a greeting between siblings? I left the cabin with Noelier, lost in such nonsense.

"I apologize again today."

"No, not at all. The one who should be..."

Before leaving the cabin, Noelier turned to look at me and said.

I felt uneasy because they ended up staying a few more days unexpectedly due to me.

Noelier, noticing my feelings, shook his head as if to say it was okay.

"I am the one who should be apologizing for staying without permission."

"Please don't say that. You went through a lot of trouble because of me. Um, you suddenly hugged me, too. I am the one who should be thanking you."

"...Well then, Eve."

"Yes?"

"Could you grant me just one favor?"

Noelier asked politely. When I tilted my head, he took a step closer to me.

"Please give me a small reward as well."

"... Reward?”

Reward? What does he want? I have nothing.

Surely you aren't going to take back the money you gave me, right?

I made a tearful face and shook my hands vigorously to show that I had nothing.

He chuckled at my pleading expression and shook his head.

"It's not material. It's very easy."

"If that's the case... then what is it?"

"...Could you stroke my head just once?

"Yes?!"

I let out a surprised sound involuntarily.

Then, a crashing sound was heard from beyond the thin door.

I quickly turned my head toward the window. I saw black and silver hair hurriedly disappearing as if trying to vanish.

No, those little rats...!

"Eve."

I was about to ask what they were peeking at so secretly when Noelier called out to me once more, as if urging me on. I turned my gaze back toward him.

Before I knew it, he had moved even closer. I looked at him with a flustered expression. Then, with a flushed face, he stammered.

"When Eve's hand touches me, the heat circulating in my body subsides."

"Th-then, why don't we just hold hands instead? Your head is a bit..."

I also stammered along with him. It felt strange because it was the first time I had heard such a request.

"As for my hands, I'm not quite ready yet..."

"..."

"Uh, of course, it’s not that I dislike it. I would like you to make it for me, though..."

Noelier shook his head, trailing off. Before I knew it, his face was flushed red all the way to the tips of his ears. I just gaped, unable to say a word. Then, Noelier lowered the corners of his eyes and asked pleadingly.

"...Isn’t it possible?”

"...!"

At the sight, I gasped.

The moist, reddened corners of his eyes made my heart sink.

It looked as if tears were about to stream down at any moment.

My heart began to beat faster than when I woke up in his arms. My nostrils flared involuntarily.

However, perhaps thinking I was refusing, he spoke with a sullen face, looking upset.

"...Was it an unreasonable request after all?"

"R-rather than saying it's impossible..."

"But last night, when Eve touched me, it felt so good..."

“Wow!”

No, you! What are you saying in front of the children! What do you mean, touching?!

I waved my hands vigorously and stood in front of him.

"O-Okay. I'll do it!"

His face lit up at my consent.

...It’s really okay to do this, right?

I hesitated and reached out my hand. As if he had been waiting, Noelier bent his large body down to match mine.

His soft black hair scattered through my fingers. His face relaxed even more.

"W-will it be okay if I do this?"

"..."

Noelier nodded with his eyes tightly closed.

'How can I not grant your request with a face like that?'

I stared blankly at his face. My fingertips were burning. Feeling ashamed and embarrassed, I clamped my mouth shut.

"Ruby, you're right!"

Just then, a softly whispering voice burrowed into my ear.

"Didn't I tell you? This is the best way to win you over."

"Ruby is a genius."

"But it's just the head. It's too weak. At this rate, when will it ever..."

I turned my head away at the sound of the children whispering.

The children looking out the window were looking at us with sparkling eyes.

"..."

My face flushed for a moment. Overwhelmed by embarrassment, I quickly lowered my hand.

As the touch withdrew, Noelier slowly opened his eyes. Disappointment spread across Noelier's face, but he did not beg for more.

"...Thank you."

Noelier sat up again. As our eyes met, we averted our gazes as if by prior agreement.

"It's nothing special."

Even as I said that, the end of my voice trembled. My heart fluttered as if I had been caught doing something wrong.

"I will really be going now."

He greeted me with a smile, looking much more relaxed. I hesitated and bowed my head in response. A moment later, just as he turned to go down, he paused and looked back at me.

"Eve."

"Yes?"

"...Be careful not to eat strange food."

“Anything strange?”

"Yes."

What does that mean? I blinked blankly and tilted my head.

I am so thorough about things like that.

Of course, I did have a hard time yesterday because of the strange medicine, but it wouldn't have happened if that merchant hadn't given me the strange herbs.

“Yes. Don’t worry.”

I nodded and spoke confidently.

"..."

It seemed as though a hint of worry had crossed Noelier's face.

No, really! Noelier seemed unaware of just how wary a wolf I was.

Noelier, who had been gazing at me intently for a while, smiled and nodded.

"Yes, understood. Then I will be going now."

He bowed politely, turned his back, and walked away from us. I stared at his retreating back and waved my hand blankly. Suddenly, my gaze fell upon a hand.

"..."

I felt as though a soft sensation still lingered at my fingertips, so I hurriedly lowered my hand.

A wolf stroking a dragon's head? And on top of that, blushing...

I felt strange. My whole body felt like it was tickling, so I scratched the back of my neck for no reason.

“Brother, he’s gone.”

"It's okay. He'll come again."

Then, a whispering voice was heard again.

'Yeah. It's all because our little rats were staring.'

I glared at the children, blaming them for everything. As soon as I turned my head, the frightened children let out a gasp and hid under the window.

"You!"

I entered the cabin with loud footsteps.

"Wow, let's run away quickly, Ruby!"

The sound of Zion whispering as he pulled Rachel closer was heard.

"You little rats! Aren't you coming over here?"

I chased the children, making loud noises like a fairy tale monster that eats children.

The children ran around the small house, making sounds that were half fun and half fear.

A game of tag that wasn't quite tag continued. I tried to think of something else, but the fingertips where Noelier's hair had touched kept feeling like they were burning.


Previous                Next



Comments