TFLCM - Chapter 26




I stared at him blankly, forgetting even to act cute.

Did you get tricked?

Really?

"It does look a bit unique, though."

Noelier smiled languidly and tickled my chin.

"Cute. Zion, just as you said."

A puppy.

He added with emphasis to his last words. It was puzzling, but there was no falsehood in those red eyes as he spoke. He really seemed to think of me as a puppy.

It was such a relief, but on the other hand, my pride was hurt.

'I'm a wolf, you know. Why is my life like this!'

But if only I could live. This was nothing.

I looked up at him with sparkling eyes. The wagging tail was a meme.

Noelier covered the corners of his mouth with his hand as if trying to hold back a burst of laughter. He thought I looked cute, transformed into a puppy—no, a wolf.

Meanwhile, Rachel was looking at her brother with a confused expression.

Noelier's smile remained the same. Instead, he tilted his head, wearing a face that seemed to ask if there was a problem.

He turned his gaze back to me.

"You really didn't have to go this far..."

Noelier let out a small laugh, trailing off. Perhaps it was because I had turned into a wolf, but the warmth and the touch stroking my neck made my body feel weary.

Ah. Just when I felt like it was perfect, someone suddenly lifted me up in their arms.

“...It’s mine.”

Rachel said that and pulled me into her arms.

I felt uncomfortable being held as a dog—no, a wolf—so I squirmed a few times.

"I like dogs too!"

“I can’t give it to you”

Rachel answered Zion curtly and burrowed into bed. It meant she didn't want to lose her puppy.

“I’m sleepy, so I’m going to sleep.”

“Then I’ll sleep with you too!”

Zion followed Rachel into the blankets, saying he wanted to play with the puppy too.

"Are you sleepy? All of a sudden?"

Rachel nodded like a stubborn child at Noelier's voice full of laughter.

“Yeah, I’m sleepy.”

"You slept soundly earlier."

"...I suddenly feel so sleepy."

"Do you not have to look for your sister?"

"My sister will come on her own!"

After answering up to that point, Rachel pulled the blanket over her head. "It's suffocating!" Zion grumbled softly, having ended up pulling the blanket over himself. Rachel closed her eyes tightly, as if she really wanted to fall asleep. Then, her voice could be heard from beyond the thick blanket.

"It can't be helped. If I get sleepy, I should just sleep."

"..."

"Then I'll go get more firewood."

At Noelier's voice full of laughter, Rachel peeked her head out from under the covers. So, are you going back outside? I, too, quietly lifted my head.

"...Firewood?"

"Why? Why don't you go and stay by my side?"

“Oh. No!”

Rachel shook her head vigorously and shouted in a loud voice.

"You have to stay for a long, long time!"

“How long?”

"A lot, for a long time!"

"Okay."

Noelier approached us with a small smile.

“I’ll be back.”

Noelier smiled faintly while meeting my eyes.

Shortly after, the door closed, and Noelier disappeared from sight.

'I survived!'

Only then was I able to relax my body.

"Ha..."

It seemed that the same was true for Rachel.

Thank you for saving me, my lovely little mouse. Even though you think of me as a dog, thank you anyway. I really almost died.

With that thought in mind, I gently stroked Rachel's hand.

"..."

As she looked down at me, Rachel hugged me tightly once again. Just the right amount of warmth flowed into my body.

Whether it was because I had a cold, or because I had transformed into the body of a dog—no, a wolf—my eyelids began to droop heavily again.

This shouldn't be happening; I need to run away. I shouldn't sleep until I turn back into a human...

However, the sudden release of tension dragged me into the world of sleep. I could not overcome the stifling heat and the overwhelming drowsiness. I eventually closed my eyes in Rachel's arms.

***

Before he knew it, the day had turned dark again.

Noelier gazed quietly at the winter forest where darkness had settled, then stepped into the cabin.

 As he carefully opened the door, the sound of breathing and crackling firewood reached his ears. 

The children, with angelic faces, were lost in their dreams. Noelier adjusted their positions so they would not be uncomfortable while sleeping.

"..."

The end of his gaze was Eve, who was sound asleep.

Before anyone realized it, Eve had returned to being a human again.

Was she feeling better? Besides, she must have been surprised to suddenly turn into a beast.

Suddenly, the silver tail that used to sway gently came to mind. The corners of his mouth twitched uncontrollably. She was making it so obvious; who wouldn't know?

Laughter kept escaping his lips. He covered the corners of his mouth with his hand, as if afraid someone might see. However, the curve of his lips visible through his fingers still formed a soft line.

"...You didn't have to go that far."

Noelier muttered to himself.

'Am I that scary?'

As he thought that, the curve of his lips slowly sank downward.

He carefully ran his fingers over Eve's hair. A soft touch enveloped his fingertips. Unlike his tender touch, Noelier's eyes held Eve with obsessive intensity. 

"It's cold..."

Suddenly, she shivered slightly. It seemed her cold hadn't completely worn off yet.

Noelier carefully placed his hand on Eve's shoulder. As the warm touch reached her, her face relaxed as if she had been waiting for it.

"..."

As he kept looking at her face, he felt strange.

His one and only heart beat wildly on its own. It felt as if it were settling heavily, yet at the same time, it felt as if it were becoming light enough to float away.

How would Eve react if he told her he knew she was a wolf? Would she burst into tears like she did when she lost the children?

What if she got really scared and ran away?

"..."

The thought that she was leaving cracked deep within his peaceful heart. He felt as if the hand wrapped around her shoulder was about to tighten. He pulled himself together. The heat that had surged within him in an instant subsided due to Eve's coldness.

Eve might have been the wolf from the legend that stole his heart.

'If not that, it doesn't make sense.'

He had vowed that if he ever met the legendary wolf that had stolen his heart, he would rip it out without hesitation.

The thing you stole from me.

It wasn't strange to get it back.

But he didn't want to hurt Eve. The mere thought of it made his face contort.

'Is it really necessary to do such a cruel thing?'

Actually, he just needed to ask directly.

He asked if she wouldn't take responsibility for her actions since she's like the wolf from the legend.

But if they stick together like this, she'll probably run away.

The very fact that she lived hidden away in the forest gave it all away. She was clearly avoiding him, the dragon. She didn't even seem to know that she was the legendary wolf.

In fact, Eve had nothing to hold her back. On the contrary, she would have nothing to say even if he used this as leverage to threaten her.

Noelier couldn't kill Eve, and he couldn't cruelly rip out Eve's heart as he had vowed to himself.

There is an easier way than that. A way where no one dies.

Dragons shower the person they wish to take as a mate with all sorts of flattery and beg them to choose them.

In that case, there was only one thing he had to do.

It was to become the man Eve liked so that she could choose him.

If that happened, everything would return to its place. Perhaps he might even be able to prevent his inevitable death.

He doesn't know how long it will take, but for the sake of a lifelong companion, this much of a wait was nothing.

Noelier gently stroked Eve's cheek.

The only person who won't die from contact, a woman with eyes who can soothe the heat.

'My Companion.'

As he thought that, his fingertips grew hot. It was a sensation different from the heat raging within his body.

Noelier slowly pulled his hand away.

"Ugh..."

Then, Eve reached out her hand again with a tearful expression. It was an instinctive gesture seeking what she wanted. It seemed the warmth that had touched her had been quite pleasant.

As he hesitated, Noelier slowly reached out his hand.

Their fingertips touched. The warmth and cold body temperature flowed from their fingertips into each other's bodies.

"Yes."

As their hands touched, Eve pulled with all her might.

"..."

Noelier hesitated. The strength of a person intoxicated by sleep is frail. Even if he ignored and shook her off, this sleep-drowsy Eve would not remember it.

But to a sleeping person, is it really acceptable to do this?

It was a time when he was wrestling with himself for quite some time.

The wind began to blow fiercely. The small window in the cabin rattled loudly.

"Cold..."

Eve whined and pulled the clasped hands toward her.

"..."

Half by choice, half by circumstance, Noelier approached her side.

Then, as if she had been waiting for this, Eve hugged him tightly.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments