With a serious expression, he tilted his head.
Merchen frowned as if trying to understand Nike's intention behind his question, then stroked his chin.
He said it soon.
“You’re wondering whether I consider Vania my lover.”
“...”
"Don't worry. In fact, if I were to marry Vania, it would be a great thing for everyone in many ways..."
What?!
"I was brutally rejected a long time ago. Vania said she had another lover."
Merchen got up and continued speaking.
"That lover is you, isn't he? So you might have misunderstood what I said and been concerned. I understand."
“That’s not it...”
Nike tried to make an excuse, but then closed his mouth.
You're not wrong, are you? Because I was worried.
But why do you care?
So what if Merchen likes Vania, and so what if Vania likes another man?
Nike thought about his own feelings, which he was unaware of.
Memories of being passionately in love with Vania? He's forgotten. Does he feel any sexual attraction towards young Vania? No.
But strangely enough, ever since he got to know Vania... he had been thinking of it as ‘natural’.
So, humans, when they're born, have parents and siblings, right? Just as we naturally accept them as our "parents" and "siblings," we're treating Vania as if she were our destiny.
So he was confused by Ryan's request not to meet other women.
He wonders why you're asking such an obvious question.
'That's amazing.'
Before returning, he had told Vania not to meet him again. Of course, he doesn't remember.
But it's funny that after saying that, he's instinctively envisioning a future with Vania.
Funny, but...
Anyway, that's what happened.
Nike admitted it plainly.
“It’s true that I asked because I was worried.”
“Oh, I think I’m crazy!”
Ryan, who had been watching with interest, started to fuss.
“I’m sorry if my question offended you, Merchen.”
“I’m not offended at all. Of course, you would be concerned.”
"And going into battle is a momentous decision, one that will put your life on the line. I'd like to know exactly why you made that decision. Based on that, I'll decide whether to persuade you or not."
"Aha."
"If you say you have no choice but to sacrifice yourself for your country, I'll keep trying to dissuade you. But if it's a noble desire to stand up for someone else, I don't think I have the right to stop you."
"The latter. But let me be clear, for your sake, it's because I cherish Vania as family. If I don't help this time, that little girl will have to fight the monsters."
Ryan, who had been listening, chimed in, picking his ears.
“...For being small and young, Vania is the biggest monster, but let’s move on for now.”
"Yes, let's move on. And as you know, the monster inside me has committed many sins. I believe it must do something as atonement for those sins."
Merchen added with a smile.
"Don't think you're using me. The monster and I share a body, but we're separate entities. All I have to do is summon the monster."
And then he looked back at Ryan and said.
“Finally, I understand your concerns, but I think your family should respect your opinion.”
“Yes, that’s right.”
Nike listened to Merchen silently, then nodded and shook his hand.
"Then I guess I'm the one who has to persuade her now. Make sure you convey your thoughts clearly so Vania doesn't worry."
“I will do that.”
"It doesn't matter if you change your mind. You can think about it more, so take your time and decide."
Merchen, holding Nike's hand, laughed loudly.
"You truly are a generous and kind man. I can see why Vania chose you as her lover. While we're on the subject, may I ask you a favor in advance?"
“Anything.”
"I can't leave Vania's side, because there's no way to permanently shake off this monster. So, when you marry and settle down, I'll have to join you."
“...?”
Nike blinked blankly.
“Please understand me with a broad mind, then as you do today!”
Ryan's compassionate voice was heard at the end of the cheerful Merchen's words.
“Oh my...”
About three weeks after that.
Glatt is a cursed land in the western part of the continent.
Kikrik, kirik, kirik.
A large cage covered in black cloth was pushed in by several imperial knights and placed to one side.
Ryan watched the scene with his arms crossed.
[Haaah. There's really no turning back now...]
A voice rang in his ear. It was Vania, hiding in the shadows.
“You’re still saying that? I told you not to come, but you keep following me, sighing in my ear several times.”
Ryan whispered quietly.
[What? What on earth can Dad do without me?]
“The Prince is doing everything, so there’s nothing left to do. Just don’t let the Third Prince catch you hiding.”
At that time, the surroundings were noisy.
Ryan's head turned.
[Don't let your guard down. You never know what that trickster might do.]
Ryan muttered, looking at Elliot, who appeared with an arrogant face.
“...That bastard just showed up.”
Merchen frowned as if trying to understand Nike's intention behind his question, then stroked his chin.
He said it soon.
“You’re wondering whether I consider Vania my lover.”
“...”
"Don't worry. In fact, if I were to marry Vania, it would be a great thing for everyone in many ways..."
What?!
"I was brutally rejected a long time ago. Vania said she had another lover."
Merchen got up and continued speaking.
"That lover is you, isn't he? So you might have misunderstood what I said and been concerned. I understand."
“That’s not it...”
Nike tried to make an excuse, but then closed his mouth.
You're not wrong, are you? Because I was worried.
But why do you care?
So what if Merchen likes Vania, and so what if Vania likes another man?
Nike thought about his own feelings, which he was unaware of.
Memories of being passionately in love with Vania? He's forgotten. Does he feel any sexual attraction towards young Vania? No.
But strangely enough, ever since he got to know Vania... he had been thinking of it as ‘natural’.
So, humans, when they're born, have parents and siblings, right? Just as we naturally accept them as our "parents" and "siblings," we're treating Vania as if she were our destiny.
So he was confused by Ryan's request not to meet other women.
He wonders why you're asking such an obvious question.
'That's amazing.'
Before returning, he had told Vania not to meet him again. Of course, he doesn't remember.
But it's funny that after saying that, he's instinctively envisioning a future with Vania.
Funny, but...
Anyway, that's what happened.
Nike admitted it plainly.
“It’s true that I asked because I was worried.”
“Oh, I think I’m crazy!”
Ryan, who had been watching with interest, started to fuss.
“I’m sorry if my question offended you, Merchen.”
“I’m not offended at all. Of course, you would be concerned.”
"And going into battle is a momentous decision, one that will put your life on the line. I'd like to know exactly why you made that decision. Based on that, I'll decide whether to persuade you or not."
"Aha."
"If you say you have no choice but to sacrifice yourself for your country, I'll keep trying to dissuade you. But if it's a noble desire to stand up for someone else, I don't think I have the right to stop you."
"The latter. But let me be clear, for your sake, it's because I cherish Vania as family. If I don't help this time, that little girl will have to fight the monsters."
Ryan, who had been listening, chimed in, picking his ears.
“...For being small and young, Vania is the biggest monster, but let’s move on for now.”
"Yes, let's move on. And as you know, the monster inside me has committed many sins. I believe it must do something as atonement for those sins."
Merchen added with a smile.
"Don't think you're using me. The monster and I share a body, but we're separate entities. All I have to do is summon the monster."
And then he looked back at Ryan and said.
“Finally, I understand your concerns, but I think your family should respect your opinion.”
“Yes, that’s right.”
Nike listened to Merchen silently, then nodded and shook his hand.
"Then I guess I'm the one who has to persuade her now. Make sure you convey your thoughts clearly so Vania doesn't worry."
“I will do that.”
"It doesn't matter if you change your mind. You can think about it more, so take your time and decide."
Merchen, holding Nike's hand, laughed loudly.
"You truly are a generous and kind man. I can see why Vania chose you as her lover. While we're on the subject, may I ask you a favor in advance?"
“Anything.”
"I can't leave Vania's side, because there's no way to permanently shake off this monster. So, when you marry and settle down, I'll have to join you."
“...?”
Nike blinked blankly.
“Please understand me with a broad mind, then as you do today!”
Ryan's compassionate voice was heard at the end of the cheerful Merchen's words.
“Oh my...”
***
About three weeks after that.
Glatt is a cursed land in the western part of the continent.
Kikrik, kirik, kirik.
A large cage covered in black cloth was pushed in by several imperial knights and placed to one side.
Ryan watched the scene with his arms crossed.
[Haaah. There's really no turning back now...]
A voice rang in his ear. It was Vania, hiding in the shadows.
“You’re still saying that? I told you not to come, but you keep following me, sighing in my ear several times.”
Ryan whispered quietly.
[What? What on earth can Dad do without me?]
“The Prince is doing everything, so there’s nothing left to do. Just don’t let the Third Prince catch you hiding.”
At that time, the surroundings were noisy.
Ryan's head turned.
[Don't let your guard down. You never know what that trickster might do.]
Ryan muttered, looking at Elliot, who appeared with an arrogant face.
“...That bastard just showed up.”
***
As always, the punitive force had been waiting at the demonic haunts for as long as two weeks.
But Elliot Wassenberg sauntered in just in time.
“Young Master, you have come!”
“You’re here!”
As the soldiers greeted each other, all eyes were focused on Elliot.
Commander-in-Chief Nike Valencier, who was inspecting his weapons, also turned his head towards Elliot.
"Hello."
Elliot greeted him with a gruff grin.
Nike also just nodded and accepted it.
‘...Cheeky little brat.’
Elliot was furious. A person with supernatural powers dared to appear on the battlefield, yet instead of offering a word of thanks, he gave them that unsympathetic stare.
He honestly didn't want to come here today.
Who is he? He's on a different level from the soldiers who spend their entire lives running around in dirty battlefields.
But now, he can't help but feel wronged and miserable that he's in the same situation as them.
'You're annoying people.'
Nike Valencier, it's all his fault.
To Elliot, he was just an ordinary, capable soldier, but his father, who was worried for nothing, ordered him to investigate.
He was also given instructions to kill Nike if that didn't work out...
'Let's take it easy.'
He's just going to kill Nike without any fuss. He's so arrogant that he doesn't even want to reconsider.
What can't happen on a battlefield where people die frequently?
Of course, since Nike is a member of the royal family, the aftermath will take some time to process. He'll probably have to go through several trials, too.
But that won't be a problem.
The judges can be bribed, that's all. And how dare the royal family convict someone with supernatural powers?
“Hwaaam.”
Elliot yawned and looked around.
The cursed land he was visiting for the first time in his life, the center of the battlefield.
'But what is that?'
A huge, cubic structure, about 5 meters tall, stands on one side of the battlefield, covered in cloth.
'Is it like an armory?'
The scenery of the battlefield he was seeing for the first time was unfamiliar, but there was no need to get used to it.
As soon as the demon appears, let's take a quick look at the situation, then burn it with the Third Prince and go home.
...He thinks so.
"Brother!"
A familiar face came running.
'Ryan?'
You'll be the disgraced fifth brother.
Elliot frowned.
Several soldiers around him glanced at Ryan, who was approaching him and calling him “brother” in a friendly manner.
“Is this crazy? Why is this criminal pretending to be friendly?”
“That’s too much. It’s been so long, aren’t you happy to see me?”
“Yes, so get out of here.”
Elliot clicked his tongue as he watched Ryan with all his weapons dangling from his body.
He heard a rumor that he was working as a mercenary because it was hard to make a living.
'Come to think of it, this kid is going to fight without any special abilities?'
A person from a family of power users fights without using their powers. It seems like the neighborhood is rumored to be powerless.
What a real pain in the ass.
Didn't the Crown Prince even say that he was using that child to engage in a war of nerves with his father?
He personally bestowed titles on criminals.
Now that they've realized that there's another culprit behind the Konrad Massacre, they've done the unlucky thing of bringing up something that's long past.
'In many ways, Ryan, this kid is a pain in the ass... Huh?'
Then, Elliot had a good idea.
‘Should we send him away together?’
Ryan has incompetent step-siblings who are left to his care. And they're still causing him headaches.
Because Richard and Christa are rebelling, saying they want to see their younger siblings.
What if we deal with Ryan now?
Those kids have nowhere to go.
Let's bring him here and give him a suitable place to stay in the capital. Then they can please Richard and Christa.
From the outside, it seems like he is morally taking in his nephews who have lost their guardians, so it is not particularly suspicious...
'Wow, I'm smart?'
Ryan's needs are over.
Turning a crime from 13 years ago around.
And by adopting his incompetent half-brothers under him, he prevented gossip about his family.
That was all that was needed.
It would be perfect if he could just step down so that the royal family doesn't continue to use him for no reason, or the fact that he's incompetent isn't known.
“Ryan!”
"Yes?"
Elliot, who had come up with a suitable plan, waved excitedly at Ryan.
“Come here!”

Comments
Post a Comment