ICTFF - Chapter 54





Your taste is (4)

Before he knew it, his hand went to his lips. He felt heat where her lips had brushed against mine.

Heat rushed to his face again. Rahon raised his head and let the icy wind cool his cheeks.

"Aren't you going to explain?"

Rahon's eyes sharpened at Ian's deep voice.

Who the hell are you to act like Millenia's guardian? You said you only saw her a few times when she was little, so do you really think you're her brother or something?

I have quite a few memories with Millenia, don't I?

"Ian, if you're a loyal dog, act like one."

Ian sighed.

A while ago, in front of the mountain lodge, he imitated a dog, saying he thought it was her loyal dog. Is that the same story again?

"Stop talking nonsense."

"I'm telling you to draw the line. You're being overly sensitive right now."

Ian felt that too.

A little while ago, Millenia did not reject Rahon.

He didn't know if she fully understood the situation, but she definitely trusted Rahon.

'So that's why you followed him to the villa. Knowing that no one was there.'

Since she had already broken up with Oslo, there was no problem in developing a romantic relationship with Rahon.

Even though Rahon has personality problems, isn't his adoptive father Pope Shancretia his guardian?

'Not bad as a marriage partner...'

Ian's eyes, which had been thinking that far, became cold.

"You are the one who keeps the line."

"What am I?"

"Why did you bring Millenia to the villa? You know it's not like you to do that."

"..."

Rahon's expression became blank.

As Ian said, he had an obsessive dislike of letting others into his territory.

'But why is Millenia different?'

He liked that she was quiet. He also liked that she didn't flirt with him because she couldn't see ahead.

However, it's not like there weren't any such people until now. He used to stay away from them, but Millenia didn't care.

Rahon suddenly felt uneasy. At the same time, the fate of the 'savior' flashed through his mind.

'The people who are most precious to you cannot be healed.'

Rahon snapped at Ian.

"What! Why are you saying such strange things to me? If I get ruined because of you, will you take responsibility?"

"Are you crazy? What are you talking about?"

"Say no! Say no!"

Unable to calm down, Rahon grabbed Ian by the collar. Unlike the weak beating he had just received, the force was quite strong.

"Haa, why are you having a seizure again?"

As Ian was pushing Rahon away with an annoyed expression, a singing voice was heard from somewhere.

It was Nicola riding a donkey.

"Oh, the beautiful grace of God, which permeates all things..."

Nicola arrived in front of the villa slowly, got off the mule, and forced his hunched back to straighten.

"Oh, God, look upon your servant..."

He stopped in front of the two men, groaning and pulling a large load off the donkey's back.

"Huh? What are you doing?"

The two of them let go of each other's collars and fell apart. There was an unusual murderous look in their eyes as they glared at each other.

"Shall I go in first?"

Nicola, who sensed the mood belatedly, slowly took a step back.

Only then did the two turn their heads away from each other and return to the villa.

Even as Nicola took out the herbs and laid them out neatly on the living room table, their expressions did not soften.

While talking to Millenia, they never accidentally spoke to each other.

The two of them were so friendly and joking that it felt warmer outside. Nicola couldn't stand it anymore and screamed.

"Are you kids? You're so childish I could die!"

But Ian and Rahon didn't say a word until the end.

***

Late the next morning, Ian and I set off for the cottage.

Snowflakes began to flutter in the gloomy sky.

I sighed, my eyes fixed on the carriage floor.

Yesterday, I had sorted the herbs into three types, so now I just had to check if they would work on lower-level monsters.

Things are going well, but I still feel frustrated. This is because there are more than a few questions that remain unanswered.

The atmosphere between Ian and Rahon yesterday was really tense.

I knew what they were doing outside the villa because I could hear their sharp conversation.

Moreover, Rahon's lips, which had been fine until he left, were cracked.

'Ian must have hit you.'

Rahon is a blue-haired man.

I was sure of it until yesterday, but now I have doubts.

How can a man be so embarrassed just because his lips brushed against a woman's?

If it's not a blue-haired one, then what is that tattoo on his back?

And what about that conversation we had last time?

"Don't worry. I won't reveal your secret, Rahon."

"...Are you okay?"

"What is it?

"I... that's it."

I assumed he meant the blue-haired, but if not, then what on earth was he talking about?

No matter how much I thought about it, I couldn't come to a conclusion.

"I have to come back before the sun sets today."

I raised my head at the sound of Ian's voice that I suddenly heard. 

"Why?"

"It's snowing heavily. Judging by the momentum, it looks like it won't stop for a few days."

"It's strange. The capital is relatively warm, so it's rare for it to snow for several days."

"It rained for a month."

"A month? That's really amazing."

The moment I let out a sigh, my hat tipped over.

As I try to pull up the fur hat that half covers my eyes, he takes my hand down and puts the hat on properly.

"I guess I'll have to order something a little smaller next time."

"Did you order it separately? Then this shawl too... ?"

"I hunted a few foxes last year. I remember storing the furs away."

The moment he leaned back in his chair, our knees touching, the ribbon tied tightly.

"..."

In fact, our knees were touching from the start, and Ian never moved his legs away once.

Don't you know?

No way. It feels so obvious, how can he not know?

No, what concerns me more than his knees is his gaze. Ian had been staring at me ever since I got in the carriage. That was why I kept looking down at the carriage floor.

Golden eyes silently wandered over my face. Unable to bear it, I squeezed my eyes shut.

I hope we get there before your face turns red.

While it was raining, the carriage entered the narrow road. The vibration became stronger as it ran on the rough dirt road.

The moment I raised my hand to grab my hat, which was slowly tilting, the carriage shook violently.

"Ugh!"

Ian quickly caught my body that was jumped back in reaction. My face was buried in his firm chest as I was hugging him.

Silence flowed inside the carriage.

Even though the coachman slowed down, Ian didn't let me go.

The sound of a pounding heart. I don't know whose it is.

"Your Highness...?"

"... Excuse me."

Ian belatedly let me go. He sat me down properly on the chair and then suddenly unbuttoned one of the buttons on his shirt that was all the way to his neck.

He always looks perfect when he wears uniforms, but he looks very stuffy now.

'Well, the carriage is small compared to his body size.'

I fumbled to open the window. The wind mixed with snow blew into the carriage.

I was enduring the cold when he suddenly closed the window.

"You have a cold."

"..."

The carriage finally arrived at the villa, slowed down, and stopped.

I got off the carriage and stood there for a moment, and snow piled up on my shoulders. The sleet had already turned into sleet.

Ian chuckled and shook my head and shoulders.

As the snow piled up so quickly, he took off his coat and covered my head. The smell of soap was strong.

"Let's go."

The cottage was warm. There was a pile of new firewood next to the fireplace.

Rahon, who was lying on the sofa reading a book, spoke without even raising his head.

"Are you here?"

His lips, which had been wounded until yesterday, were now clean. It seemed that they had been healed by the power.

Ian, who had me sit across from Rahon, asked while hanging his coat on a hanger.

"The priest."

"Errands. We're out of food."

"It's snowing a lot."

"I'm sure he'll figure it out."

Rahon answered calmly, got up, took off my hat and shawl, and handed them to Ian, Ian took them and hung them near the fireplace. 

"Filled?"

"I'm going to boil it now. The blanket is over there."

"I saw it."

While Rahon brewed tea, Ian put a blanket on my lap.

The two of them looked so natural together that it was a little absurd.

It wasn't like this until yesterday. Has it gotten better since then?

Since they're been together for a long time, even if they fight, it seems like things get better quickly.

To me, who was feeling relieved, Rahon handed me four sealed bottles of warm tea.


Previous            Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments