ICTFF - Chapter 55



Your taste is (5)

"The small bottles contain each of the three herbs you told me about, and the slightly larger bottle contains a mixture of all three. Smell them."

"Um... not all four bottles are exactly the same as the perfume."

"I'll try that first and then try different combinations."

"How do I take the test?"

"Of course, I should try using it on monsters."

As I said that, Rahon smiled mischievously.

"Ian, you heard? Just catch four of them. Alive, of course."

"I know where they are."

"You should take care of that yourself. Are you just going to sit there and receive it?"

It was an absurd order. It was impossible to predict the path of the monster's appearance without being 'the one who walks first'.

But Oan nodded and took the map hanging in front of the door, spread it out on the table, and looked at it.

What are you checking? Are you wondering where to catch the monster?

Rifts were mainly opened in border areas, cold places, and around rugged mountain ranges as passages for monsters.

Eldern borders the Grand Duchy of Romenya, and is surrounded by rugged mountain ranges. It's also cold, making it an ideal environment for the emergence of monsters.

"Ah!"

Only then did I think I knew what the X on the map was?

'The location of the cracks that opened in Eldern so far.'

That's why it felt familiar when I first saw the map.

"Your Highness, what are you doing now?"

"I'm looking at the map. I've recorded the cracks that have occurred so far, so I think I might be able to catch some monsters if I go near them."

"But monsters only appear in new cracks."

"I have to try."

Of the cracks I had told Oslo about in my past life, there was one place on the map that wasn't marked with an X.

"There are even rumors going around that a curse has fallen on Eldern."

"They couldn't even solve the epidemic, and many of the residents of Orquidwood died from monster attacks."

At the time, Oslo did not warn Eldern, and of course, there was a lot of damage. That's why I remember the name of the place clearly.

"A rift will open up a little to the southwest of Orquidwood soon. Fiends will pour out of the rift and overwhelm Orquidwood."

lan stared at me intently...

"The damage is extensive because the knights couldn't arrive on time. It snowed heavily just before and the roads were blocked."

"Do you happen to know the date of the attack?"

In my past life, I didn't know the exact date, but now I do.

"Around the end of August."

lan drew an X near Orquidwood and wrote Late August.

"I don't know if the crack has already formed. The crack usually opens just before the monster attacks."

"Just letting me know is enough. Please take a break."

When Ian went outside to check something, Rahon, who had been watching silently, finally opened his mouth.

"The prophecy of the previous one 'who walks first' was vague, but yours is very detailed?"

Prophecies are indeed vague.

However, since I synthesized the future I saw in my past life and the information I experienced directly, it had to be detailed.

"I heard the date from a conversation the victims had. Sometimes I get lucky."

"Yes?"

At that moment, Ian, who had returned with a cold wind, spoke with a serious face.

"I can't go today."

"What are you talking about?"

"Look outside."

Rahon walked to the window and pulled back the curtains.

A blizzard was raging outside. Whoosh, the sound of a sharp wind was streaming in through the crack in the window.

I asked as if I didn't know anything.

"Is there a problem?"

"The snowstorm is so bad that I don't think the carriage will be able to come."

The carriage we rode in had already returned to the castle.

They were supposed to pick us up around dinner time, but the weather was so bad. We probably won't even be able to leave.

"Can't we go by horseback?"

"Rahon, do you have anything to say?"

Rahon shook his head.

"There's only a mule now. Nicola rode the horse that was left."

The mule looked tough even though it carried Nicola yesterday. There's no way it could carry Ian and me.

"I don't know if the priest will be okay."

"Why are you worrying about a guy who went out in the morning when the weather was fine? He'll just stay at the inn and come back. You guys worry about him." 

"Then I'm sorry, but can I be in your care just for today?" 

"Can you sleep in a dress? Do you want to wear my clothes?"

"I would appreciate it if you could do that." 

"Oh my."

Rahon let out a deep sigh and headed to the second floor. It seemed like he was enduring it because he couldn't kick us out in this weather.

Ian knelt down on one knee in front of me.

"I'm sorry. I didn't take the weather into account."

"Don't take responsibility for everything. The weather isn't your fault, Little Duke."

"..."

"You seem worried because I don't have a servant, but I can do it on my own. How many years have I been like this?"

Ever since I moved into the villa in Oslo in my last life, I've been completely alone.

Of course, he did send servants, but they didn't help me very much.

If I ask for bath water, you sigh. If I ask for food, you sigh.

It would have been easier for me to just figure it out myself since she was showing her annoyance so openly.

'I did get some help.'

Thanks to that, I learned how to live alone without being able to see ahead.

At that moment, Rahon, who had come down from the second floor, threw some clothes at Ian.

"Ian, change Millenia's clothes and come down. I'll prepare a meal in the meantime."

As Ian came out of the second-floor bedroom where I had changed my clothes, the living room was filled with a delicious smell.

Rahon, wearing an apron, pointed to the table with a ladle. There was meat stew and warm toasted bread on it.

"Sit down and let's eat."

Ian's face became embarrassed when he saw the soup dish.

"Isn't there anything else besides stew?"

"If you're going to complain about the food, get out."

"It's okay, Little Duke."

I felt around in the stew bowl with my hand and tore the bread into small pieces and put them in.

Only when I carefully ate it with a spoon did his expression lighten.

Rahon, who realized the situation belatedly, muttered awkwardly.

"I'm sorry. I don't have any ingredients."

"It's delicious, Rahon."

As night fell, the snowstorm grew more intense. Nicola, who had gone into town to buy groceries, never returned.

As Rahon said, I wonder if he'll be sleeping at the inn. I'm worried If he'll be okay.

The two bedrooms would be used by me and Rahon, and Ian would sleep in the living room.

Nicola's bedroom, without a fireplace, was cold. I could almost smell the steam coming out of my mouth.

I carefully drew the curtains and quickly dove into bed. Even though I covered myself with two blankets on top of the comforter, I was still cold and couldn't sleep. I was shivering for a long time, rolling up my blanket.

"Ugh... Huh..."

A strange sound was heard from somewhere.

'Did I mishear?' 

I strained my ears, thinking I might have mistaken it for the sound of the wind. After a while, the sound came again.

"Uh, I made a mistake..."

This time it was clear. It wasn't the sound of the wind, but Rahon's voice.

It seems like he's in pain and also sobbing.

Where does it hurt?

I woke up without realizing it. I put on a shawl and went outside. It was pitch dark.

I walked slowly, leaning against the wall, and reached the doorknob. It was Rahon's bedroom.

Knock knock.

"..."

"Rahon."

There was no answer from inside. As I was wondering whether I should go in, a muttering sound came out from inside.

"It hurts..."

I guess he's really sick.

I opened the door carefully and went into the bedroom.

I pulled up my shawl as the chill suddenly rushed in. It seemed colder than Nicola's bedroom.

"Rahon?"

In the middle of the desolate bedroom, there was only one narrow bed. On it, Rahon was lying curled up, wrapped in a blanket.

I quickly went to the bed.

"Rahon, where does it hurt?"

I shook his shoulders gently, but Rahon didn't open his eyes.

I felt his cheek and it didn't seem to be hot, but he was covered in a cold sweat. His wet hair was sticking messily to his forehead.

"Rahon, come to your senses. Rahon?"

Rahon turned around. Slowly opening his hazy eyes, he looked up at me.

"Who is this...?"


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments