TPITT - Chapter 116




As expected, the biggest concern at this point was the martial arts competition. Everyone at the table turned their eyes toward Michael.

“Not yet.”

“Oh, then may I give you some advice?”

“Of course, Lord Redmon.”

It is already difficult to make a wish come true without any selfish intentions.

It was really hard to the point of feeling inferior. Michael was not selfish.

Michael was very curious about Alben's opinion, which was even acknowledged by Eve.

Alben opened his mouth.

“If possible, a romantic and provocative wish would be better.”

"Yes?"

“As you know, the purpose of the martial arts competition is to show off the imperial power and majesty to the people, right?”

“Yes.”

“In other words, the martial arts festival is a great place to show something to the people and get a response. Her Hignesss must win the hearts of the people as it is a rare public appearance. The key to this is how to win the hearts of the people. Actually, it is not much. Our people..."

“I can’t help but feel awkward when it comes to the love story between royalty and knights.”

Alben laughed wickedly. He was serious.

"These are the power of theatrical and musical narratives consumed in the art world. Wouldn't it be embarrassing for a children's fairy tale book to be the main character of a knight who goes to rescue the royal family who was captured by the dragon? This is why early education is scary."

“Anyway, Sir Agneto will satisfy the expectations of the people. You can do an exhibition performance. Romantically! And provocatively!”

Alben, who had been gesturing exaggeratedly like a maestro, finally placed a hand on Michael's shoulder.

“This is something only Sir Agneto can do. I will trust you and leave it to you.”

“...I will try.”

“You’re ready. If I may give you some more advice, you don’t have to be creative. The more cliche it is, the better.”

Alben, who was thought to save Michael from his suffering, instead caused him to fall into even greater suffering.

At that time, Julia came up with an important fact and made it a topic of conversation.

“Oh, by the way, on my way here, I saw an outdoor tea party hosted by Her Highness the Third Princess.”

“Wow, it’s rare for Betty to host a social gathering herself. Who was invited?”

I thought Chansley was trying to attract nobles who would become new sources of funding.

But my prediction was wrong.

“It was almost all the Princesses and Princes."

“Hmm?”

Brigette's wasn't a waste of time. There must be a reason why she is the ones who work hard on hosting a social gathering that they don't usually do.

“I see that Your Highness did not receive the invitation.”

“Yes. I thought she would share her family affection without me. This is sad.”

Although I spoke as if joking, my face was deep in thought and quite serious.

After a while, I spoke my thoughts in a serious voice.

“I guess I should be grateful for Julia’s observation skills. It seems that the great power will have to build up its power among the royal family.”

Olivier, who had been mostly listening until now, spoke cautiously.

“It is certainly necessary to form a royal family. Your Highness's battlefield is the imperial palace, and it is easier for the imperial family to be empowered in it than for the nobility."

“Um, yeah.”

"To be honest, I wondered if Your Highness, who aggressively saved the aristocratic power in a short time, had no imperial power yet. Is there a reason why you're reluctant to bring the royal family together?"

It was a sharp observation. I hesitated for a moment before answering.

“That’s because there are no good people in the family. Everyone’s character is also lacking.”

“...Actually, you didn’t have a good relationship with your family.”

There was a murmur on the table. I almost forgot, but the woman in front of me was treated like a nuisance until a few months ago.

“Lady Yegrin, why are you attacking Her Highness’s painful family history?”

“Huh? Oh, no, that’s..."

"It is famous that there are no characters in the imperial family. Didn't you know that Your Highness did not deal with them because they were not on the same level? Young Lady, are you on our side?"

“I, I, I’m sorry! I’m sorry!”

Olivier stands up in embarrassment at Julia's blow.

She tried to show her apology, but I raised a hand to stop her.

“No. I admit my mistake. Please take a seat.”

“Thank you, Your Highness.”

The mood at the table quickly recovered.

Alben organized it.

“Excluding those whose power is certain, I will select those with potential from the remaining people.”

“Let’s do it together.”

I quickly became lost in thought. Other than Euclid, no one else came to mind who could be recycled.

Suddenly a bad possibility crossed my mind.

“Oh, no. If Betty is going to take Rosie in, it’s going to be a bit, no, a lot of trouble. I'm losing."

Although her status in the imperial social circles had diminished somewhat, Rosenite was still loved by her subjects.

The influence of the Imperial White Rose was unparalleled in capturing the hearts of the people, if not in anything else.

Even Brigitte went to great lengths to present herself as a good sister to Rosenite in public.

'What Betty lacks the most is the public sentiment. If this brings them together...'

Although my popularity has risen considerably these days, it is difficult to deal with the two people who joined forces.

Especially if it comes to a battle of public opinion, it will be extremely disadvantageous.

That was when my face darkened.

“Oh, but Her Highness the 7th Princess wasn’t at the tea party.”

"Uh?"

This was unexpected.

'Could it be that Rosie turned down Betty's hand?'

But soon I put the guess out of my mind.

“It must have been due to personal reasons that she had to be absent. It probably doesn’t mean much.”

From the beginning, Brigitte's intentions were seen through and blocked in advance.

It was hard to believe that Rosenite had any sense or judgment.

Since Rosenite was on the topic, Cedella asked for information about her.

“Her Highness the 8th Princess recently attended a function held outside the palace. It seems that she is actively participating in the social gatherings of the nobles.”

“She's expanded her scope of activity.”

It was said that she was more devoted to socializing. Rosenite, who was stimulated at the last banquet, seemed to be trying to stand at the top of the social circle.

This was enough to think about Rosenite at a meeting prepared to cope with Brigette's move. After a few more talks, the meeting was finished.

That day was the day when the punishment for those who had traded magic stones was officially confirmed.

When we identified those whose private property holdings had exceeded a certain amount, an interesting result emerged.

Most of the 30 or so families caught were noble families connected to Chansley.

As for Brigitte, Chansley dared to reveal the information she had secretly shared with her subordinates.

It seems that she had not expected that it would spread little by little. Brigitte could not help but feel astonished.

The punishment was a fine, but it started at a minimum of 10 times and depended on the amount of private property.

It wasn't something to be taken lightly as it was added to the list.

Considering the enormous amount of the fine, the deadline for full payment has also been extended to before the winter rainy season.

It was given generously.

Perhaps before the end of the year, many families will own townhouses.

They will have to sell all their assets and move back to their country estate.

Some families were forced to sell their lands and titles and go bankrupt, leaving them stranded on the streets.

And some people still do not pay the fines even after using all the methods mentioned above.

If you can't do it, you'll have to go to jail.

'It worked well, as it also had the effect of purging the corrupt nobles.'

They were far from being first-time offenders who had the bad luck to get caught. They had been involved in corruption here and there.

I thought calmly since they were finally the ones who had been struck by the hammer of the law.

Chansley was by far the dominant-place family in hoarding. Chansley's penalty was 100 times higher. From a common-sense point of view, bankruptcy and imprisonment were unavoidable.

'Since there is a black money source, they will probably struggle to survive with that. I have no intention of staying still either.'

Count Sanchez's decision was also made at Alben's discretion. The family avoided the death penalty in exchange for providing evidence for every corner of Chansley. However, the title, estate, and property were confiscated, and Hosen Shancez himself was imprisoned in Devonnea prison for the rest of his life.

The crime of attempting to damage the homunculus, the Emperor's property, and the crime of attempting to murder the Imperial Family were serious. Even if I had leniency for the latter crime, he was strictly governed.

'You messed with Alben for no reason and you're going to be ruined, Sanchez.'

Of course, this time it was not worth sympathizing. It would have been a little cleaner with the departure of the corrupt nobles.

I sipped my cool tea, thinking of the empire.

It was a time when I was enjoying my afternoon tea time in a leisurely manner. I felt impatient.

There was a knock and Cedella came in.

"Your Highness."

“What's going on?”

Cedella delivered the news with a serious face.

“I heard that Her Highness the Third Princess has just entered His Majesty the Emperor’s office.”

"Yes?"

I put down my teacup and got up from my seat. It resembled the green leaves of June.

The hem of my dress fluttered with my movements.

“Ah, I suddenly can’t help but want to see Father. I have to go and get him a filial piety gift right away.”

I reflected in the mirror on the wall and was already dressed up from head to toe.

'Betty, you weren't like that before, but now you're trying to do things in a cowardly way and in secret.'

It was the first movement Brigitte had made since she had summoned Count Fritz to the palace. It was clear that she was trying to force through a bill that was advantageous to her and disadvantageous to me.

'That won't do.'

What Brigitte would advise was already half figured out through the last meeting at my residence.

And Brigette was still giving me information.

'I think there must have been some ulterior motive behind the move made at a time when the martial arts competition was just around the corner.'

It was still kind of vague.

I just hoped that Brigitte wouldn't whisper any more policies to Desmond II that would ruin the country.

“Let’s go, Cedella, Michael.”

I went out of the residence solemnly, seeing off the remaining members to the residence.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments