TPITT - Chapter 117



After hurriedly walking, I arrived at the Emperor's office located in the main palace.

“Your Highness, the 7th Princess?”

Elijah, who was waiting outside, found me and looked surprised. His presence confirmed that Brigitte was in the office right now.

As expected, I was able to gain permission to enter the office without difficulty.

I am alone at the threshold, leaving Cedella and Michael behind.

“Oh, Eve. You came at a good time.”

“...Come in, Eve.”

The faces of Desmond II and Brigitte were in stark contrast. I greeted them both politely.

“I came to see Father and Betty. I came to give Father some nutritious food. I didn’t know you had a conversation with my sister.”

At the words that suddenly stopped the clock, Brigitte narrowed her brows and Desmond II looked curious.

“Health food?”

“Yes, Father. It’s summer. Here, the extract made from the cor and stem of the centenarian Nepenthes, which was subjugated from Lake Melud.”

“Wow, the purple liquid really looks good for stamina.”

“I added grape flavor, so it will be easier to drink. I made it with filial piety, so please try it.”

“Yes. Come here.”

Inside the bottle, a purple liquid with a lump of gum is a living organism.

It was just squirming. It looked like it would be inedible to anyone who wasn't very picky.

Desmond II was very pleased with the reception.

This was enough to give me a reason for visiting. I began to move toward my original purpose.

“By the way, what were you talking about? If it’s okay, I’d like to join in on the conversation.”

“Ah, yeah.”

It was Brigitte who answered. She wasn't an idiot who would just sit there blankly in the face of an unexpected situation.

“I was giving my opinion on the use of rechargeable magic stones.”

“I’m also curious about your opinion, sister.”

“Then why don’t you give your opinion first?”

I meant to start with level verification. Here, I had to speak royally.

“It is very unfortunate that prices are skyrocketing due to magic stones these days. However, the issue of utilizing rechargeable magic stones must be approached from a long-term perspective.”

“Long-term perspective?”

"Rechargeable ground stones are primarily used to create high-end artifacts, such as alchemy and magic stones. It is a huge loss to temporarily release materials that can bring out added value into the low-value field because of the immediate crisis. We need to make sure that we have thorough control over supply so that we can be a source of money for the imperial family for a long time to come.

“Oh, Eve. Do you think so too?”

“Yes, Father.”

“But the people are already full of expectations that the magic stone will be released. If we leave it like that, the public sentiment won’t be friendly, right?”

I couldn't have known. Wasn't I the one who was treated as a hero for developing the magic stone?

'If the imperial family does not release the supply of magic stones, we will be at the forefront of the backlash. I'm the right one.'

It was likely that Brigitte would not have talked about follow-up measures, as it could bring my reputation down.

I offered my opinion.

“That problem could be alleviated by rebuilding the infrastructure.”

“Hmm? Tell me more.”

"All you need to do is switch large infrastructures, such as sky Ark and magic-powered trains, from carry knowledge to rechargeable. This alone will reduce the cost of transporting and moving goods, so there will be some price stability. Although initial costs will be required, most of the large infrastructure is owned by the imperial family anyway, so there is nothing to be desired."

“Huh?”

“And if successful, we will expand the conversion project to private-public facilities as well. The well-laid foundation of the Father Tower has been in place for hundreds of years and has enjoyed significant cost-saving effects. I will make it so that the people of the country will praise my Father's achievements for generations to come.”

“Oh, right. That’s exactly what I had been thinking about. You explained it well.”

I didn't mention it, but there was one more positive effect.

When the infrastructure is built to allow mana to be recharged and used, the amount of magic stone mining required will also naturally decrease.

'Many homunculus are in the mine will be able to get it out.'

They will be sent to another workhouse, but the conditions will still be extremely poor.

It would be easy to create a better environment than a mining farm.

“That’s a good idea.”

At that time, Brigitte intervened. She steered the conversation in her favor.

“Let’s sort it out. Eve, your words are rechargeable. The magic stone should be used for high value-added business, that is, making magic tools, as before. That’s what it means.”

"Yes..."

“And to control the price, you have to use that added value magic stone, right? Does this mean that we need to continue preparing for the Dragon Suppression War to develop the Magic stone?”

“Yes, Sister.”

Now my words will become Bridget's justification.

I knew that, but I was willing to answer.

I am satisfied with the board that Brigitte made.

She said with a smile.

“It’s a good thing, Father. You have a strong will to subdue the dragon. It is necessary to have a magic tool. Now is the time to specialize in fighting against the magic dragon. We need to invest in the military supplies business. And in this area... wouldn’t Marquis Beltheor be the right person for the job?”

Brigette brazenly pushed her fiance's family. There was no minimal excuse for the part where neutrality was undermined.

"There's no way to replace Beltheor anyway."

At a glance, Desmond II also seemed to agree with the name of the right person.

Brigitte has prepared what she wants to show to Desmond II.

There were many. She began to introduce magical tools that would be good to develop and produce for subjugating the demon dragon.

Many things seemed very powerful and useful at first glance.

And among them, there are those that Brigitte herself invented, living up to her reputation as a genius magician.

Also.

“Oh, right. So that’s what you’ve been researching. That’s great, Betty.”

“You compliment me, Father.”

“But why is it that all I hear is what you want to develop? These are only the advantages of magic tools. Are there no disadvantages?”

“On the downside... Ah, there is one issue that concerns me.”

Brigitte pretended to be honest, though she didn't answer.

“What is it?”

“It’s not a problem with magic tools, it’s a problem with rechargeable public goods. This is a problem that can arise when using magic stones. Since the people in charge will change frequently, the probability of mana clashes occurring will increase.”

“Mana clashes? That’s more than two types of mana drain. Isn’t this a phenomenon that occurs when mana is mixed?”

"The rechargeable magic stone is like a mana core in itself. So even a magic stone embedded in it can cause a mana crash. This can wear out the mana circuit and seriously affect the life of the mana. Worst of all, it could break down."

“So? Is there a solution?”

Desmond II didn't know his daughter well enough to know that there was no solution.

It was Brigitte who didn't even mention the problem.

“A common sense approach is enough. Isn't it the safest way to inject only one mana into a rechargeable magic stone?"

Desmond II's eyebrows furrowed at the simple answer. I thought about it too.

'Whenever my sister brings up common sense or theories, there has never been a time when she spoke sensibly.'

It was when I started to get nervous as signs of the country's downfall began to appear. The conversation between Brigette and Desmond II continued again.

“There’s no need to be puzzled. This can be easily solved by using Homunculus.”

“Even though their mana is nearly infinite, you can’t use the same ones to recharge every time.”

“Of course. That’s why I suggest it.”

I took a deep breath at Brigitte's deep smile. It was a very wise choice.

“Now, homunculus are classified into three classes based on their qualifications and abilities. I think we should create one more category here. That's why we're selecting and 'improving' the right people to put in the mana charge."

“Improvement? Be precise.”

"According to a famous study, when two or more different are fused, their strengths are strengthened."

“I know about that research, but..."

“Yes. I think we can apply this to the homunculus. First, we remove the mana core of Homunculus, which is determined to be an enemy grid, and then we can synthesize it with several magic cores, strengthen it, and transplant it again. Then, it will be reborn as a power source for generating vast amounts of mana."

That is, the intention was to conduct biological experiments on homunculus and use them as tools.

I, who understood the essence, felt my fingertips tremble slightly. In order not to be caught in the commotion, I held the hem of my dress tightly.

'Isn't that what it means? It's horrible.'

It crossed the threshold of disgust. This was absolutely inhuman.

'I didn't know Betty was such a crazy sorceress.'

In the past, I didn't think I was a person who had fallen to this point, but when I established myself as a great adversary, the bottom seemed to disappear from the means.

Anyway, I couldn't just sit by and watch my step-sister's character gradually deteriorate.

“Sister Betty.”

My voice lowered on its own.

"What you're talking about is the study of chimeras. They're supposed to be black alchemy that was banned a long time ago because of their brutality. And a homunculus instead of a monster? Please refrain from speaking."

“Oh, now that I look at it, you’re not only good at magic but also at alchemy. It's not deep. Chimera research is about synthesizing living organisms. How can it be? Are you saying that Manacore is a living organism? Speak clearly so that Father does not misunderstand.”

“Don’t dress it up with fancy words. The core is the heart.”

Brigitte ignores me and goes back to sweet-talking Desmond II.

She whispered a word.

“Homunculus is a being that should be used for the prosperity of the empire. How glorious it is to become a source of mana that will serve the Empire for a long time to come.”

“Hmm... Chimera research is a bit like that.”

Disappointingly, Desmond II did not give a flat-out no.

'When did I ever expect that?'

I took a deep breath, trying to push away my emotions.

I was shocked and choked up because Brigitte's ideas were beyond my imagination. But this was a problem that didn't require emotion.

This is because it was well predicted that Brigitte came up with the homunculus exploitation method concerning rechargeable mana stone.

So, naturally, I had a countermeasure.

“There’s no need to go that far, Father, Sister.”


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments