Moonlight - Chapter 16




"... That's similar to Ra Kun."

"Yes?"

"Our Kun is the same. Regardless of their mother's bloodline, anyone who is of Kun's bloodline can participate in the battle for the throne. Of course, only one person can inherit Sihad's name. However, once they inherit, they exercise absolute power as a living God."

As I tried to counter that Emperor Cromwell had no absolute power, I just smiled.

So that's how the Ra Kun was inherited.

It was refreshing to learn that no book in the Cromwell Library had anything to say about that part.

By the way, the fight for the throne.

The feel of it is not very good.

"You know more about Cromwell than I thought, Lady Ashina."

"Oh, this is common sense. Ask any northerner and they'll give you this straight answer."

"No, it's not like anyone can give a simple answer that only summarizes the main points. You seem to know quite well."

It wasn't even that sharp.

I was embarrassed.

"Just... When you travel, you need to be aware of things." 

"Is that so?"

Nasir didn't miss my gaze as I turned away.

There was no sign of deception, but something felt off.

Is it because of this suspicious nature that you can't let it go easily?

Nasir thought for a moment and then smiled.

"There's still a lot I want to know. That's enough for today."

"Today?"

A look of confusion appeared on ny face.

"Wait a minute, so when are you going to return my luggage?"

"I'll give it to you when I've heard as much of your story as I want."

I got scammed!

I clicked my tongue.

"What, then I'm not going to tell you! You're such a conman!"

Nasir was momentarily taken aback by my strong reaction, as I had assumed he would only ask and give it to me today.

"I'll just ask you one or two more times and then I'll return it to you."

He spoke soothingly.

Anyway, there's nothing to be gained by being stubborn in this situation. I rolled my eyes for a moment.

So, how do we take advantage of this opportunity?

"Then at least let me see my luggage once. I'm worried about its well-being."

"Underwear?"

Nasir asked back as if he was astonished, but I rebuked him in an airy manner.

"Don't you know how important underwear is to women?"

Was that so important?

A moment of conflict crossed Nasir's face.

How should we overcome this predicament? 

Unfortunately, Ashina's piercing gaze was not something that could be easily rejected.

Nasir sighed as if surrendering.

And he got up from his seat to take out the small pouch he had been keeping.

"Here it is."

My book of shame!

I snatched the pouch from Nasir's hand and took it back, briefly checking to see if the magic hanging from the pouch had broken.

Thank goodness it hasn't broken yet.

These damn time-limited magic spells.

There was no clear evidence anywhere in the contents that I was a Cromwellian, but it was still important. Well, it contained the history of my life.

"You're safe. That's a relief."

What I was worried might disappear disappeared like melting spring snow.

I looked up at Nasir with a softened attitude.

"Where are you going to put this?"

The gaze that looked up blankly was pure.

Nasir sweated internally at the suspicious gaze as if he were secretly looking at my underwear.

There's nothing he can do.

"Then I'll leave it here like this from now on. Are you relieved now?"

A small pouch hung on a hook on the desk.

"Yes, I like it."

My smile was so sweet.

***

As for me, I don't know about anything else, but I really liked the fact that the night comes early in the desert.

It was only about six o'clock in the afternoon, but the desert was already turning red, ready for the coming night.

I climbed to a high place and hid, trying to avoid being noticed by people as much as possible, and briefly observed the activities around the harem building.

Although not as elaborate as Cromwell's, the ornate patterns and carvings that covered the entire building helped me hide.

I couldn't go out last night because of Ra Kun, but today was different.

It was for this moment that I went into the bathroom under the pretense of taking a bath and kicked Nur out because I was embarrassed.

Let's see.

Still, since I had been there for about two days, I was able to get a general idea of the palace's structure at a glance.

First of all, the palace was very large and there were a lot of guards, but it didn't matter.

There may be a way out of this palace, but it's not like there's no way out.

Usually, guards would stand where they were supposed to stand, and even when they patrolled, there were always blind spots.

So, Isn't it possible for me to roam around the palace like this?

"First of all, the security is more lax on that side than on this side." 

The number of guards and patrol times were fixed.

Shift times are also fixed.

It seemed like evading the guards would be easier than I thought.

So now the important thing is where can I escape to?

I looked down calmly at the road along which I had been captured and dragged two days ago. I thought I ran a lot when I was dragged in, but looking down like this, I could see how hidden the place I was was. It was impossible to go back out the way I came. Well, then there's another way out.

The first thing that caught my eye was the waterway where I had collided with the Ra Kun.

It looked like a lake, but the water in the canal was flowing.

If I do it right, it seems like it might work out.

But there must have been places where the size of the waterway was reduced to prevent intruders.

In fact, the water flowed through the entire palace.

Since it is connected to all the palaces, it must have been built with great care.

I rejected the idea of escaping by diving neatly into the water.

It's too dangerous.

"What should I do?"

A castle was built in the middle of the city.

A city was built for the castle.

How on earth do I get out of this structure?

A familiar tower is seen in the distance.

Even the prison I had clearly been locked in looked small when viewed like this.

Is that the infamous Jehenem?

"It was easy to get out."

Above all, there was only a guard who came around to sprinkle water, so as long as I was careful about that, there wouldn't be any major problems.

The structure of the prison was also simple.

Because prisons treat people so poorly that they are so weak that they can't even get up, if you know how to pick a lock, all the doors open easily.

Of course, the fact that there were many tightly locked doors made it difficult to escape.

Just opening the door will be difficult.

This palace should be like that too.

I sighed and looked back absentmindedly.

In front of the palace, a city spread out, but behind the palace, all that could be seen was a vast desert.

Beyond the high walls, a vast sand desert called the Desert of Death stretched out against the pale moon.

"..."

Now that I think about it, I didn't pay much attention because I was thinking of running away to Kracha If I kept leaving this palace...

My eyes sparkled.

It was like the expression of an ascetic who had been wandering with questions for a long time and finally found the answer.

Then should I run away towards the desert for now?

It was a vast place, and the desert sand easily erased traces, so even if they knew my destination, it wouldn't be easy to catch me.

The most direct route to Surtr was through the desert, so if I turned around, I would definitely arrive later than if I went across the desert.

Oh, that's okay.

So, the place to escape to has been decided.

Now all that remained was how to turn away the gaze of surveillance focused on me. What should I do about that?

It was when I was deeply worried.

I felt the gaze of the moment.

I unconsciously bent down and held my breath, but for some reason, I felt the eyes looking up at me.

What the heck, how did you find out what was here? 

The roof where I was located was very high.

It's not a height where someone passing by below can tell who's there with just one glance...

But even though he was suspicious, I tried to keep her presence quiet as much as possible.

Rotten, what bad luck.

I took a quick glance, but it was the first time had seen him.

Of course, it was my first time seeing him, but the energy I felt was a little different.

It's cool...

Who is that?

I bit my lip, thinking that I had somehow been caught being here.

"Why is that, Chieftain?"

"...No."

Fortunately, even though it was quite a distance away, a voice could be heard in the wind.

No, rather, it was something he said consciously as if I was being told to listen.

"I said it because I thought I saw a cat."

The man smiled and passed by, but I, who was leaning against the wall, couldn't smile.

Cat, cat?

"Why is this guy and that guy call me 
a cat?"

***

Fortunately, since I had strongly advised me to take a leisurely bath, there was no sign of Nur coming in when I left the bathroom.

I washed it quickly and simply.

Because my hair was long, it took a while to wash it, but other than that, there was no problem washing it.

"The problem is these damn earrings."

The problem is that the magic of the bracelet may wear off at any time.

In fact, it was still a bit tricky.

I watched my reflection in the water and quietly touched my earring.

After a bit of vibration, the earring fell out of my ear.

In an instant, my hair was dyed with an ecstatic light from the crown to the tips of my hair.

Even without looking at it, I knew that my pupils had returned to their original state.

I pouted as I watched the earring fall from my ear and roll around on my palm.

It was an object that could recharge its own magic power if left alone, but it took too long to do so.

"But this is the most effective. Does that mean I'll have to go back and wrestle with those disposables again?"

I knew it all too well.

If I were to wander around the Northern Continent in my true form, I would be caught in less than a day and taken to the mansion.

The bounty my mother placed on me was so enormous that I was actually caught and imprisoned in the mansion the first few times.

Even though I was caught and locked up like that, my mother threw me in prison because I kept running away.

"Oh, this is expensive, really."

The bracelet rolling on my palm was still dangling.

I was afraid that the magic would suddenly be broken. This little break should do you some good.

Of course, it would have been better not to even dream.

There's nothing I can do.

It cost me a whole year's allowance to get this.

I wish you could hold out for one more week. It might be a crowd.

So I had to escape before that.

I sighed.

"There's nothing we can do, it's a temporary measure."

I, who had changed my clothes, looked at my reflection in the bath water.

It wasn't clothes that showed my stomach.

Thanking Nur, I put the earrings back in my ears.

As soon as the bracelet vibrated, my hair slowly turned brown.

I deliberately kept my hair color slightly light so as not to be noticeable.

The pupils also had a slightly reddish tint, but it was so red that you wouldn't notice it unless you paid attention.

I exhaled and examined myself.

"If I do it like this, I can stay like this for a little longer, right?"

I hope no one notices.

I was anxious, but I couldn't delay any longer, so I came out of the bathroom.

I was surprised to see Nur approaching me as if she had been waiting for me, but I didn't show it.

It's a surprise.

I didn't know, but it seemed like they were really waiting for me to come out.

"Your hair is very wet."

"Give it to me. I'll dry it."

When I held out my hand, Nur handed me a towel with a displeased expression.

Although I felt bad about taking away the maid's work, I just smiled prettily and didn't return the towel.

Although I was used to being looked after by someone, I preferred doing things on my own.

It was because of my habit of traveling for a long time.

I headed towards my room, roughly drying my hair with a towel.

How much money do you need to have to make your towels silk?

"Excuse me, Lady Ashina."

"Yes?"

The pressing looked somehow cautious.

I entered the room without paying any attention.

And as soon as I entered, I stopped dead in my tracks.

"The Ra Kun has arrived."

If you were going to tell me, you could have told me earlier!

I looked back at Nur with eyes filled with resentment, but Nur averted her gaze.

I was so surprised that even the towel fell from my hands.

I'm not mentally prepared yet.

If I'm going to deal with that guy, I need to prepare myself mentally for at least 30 minutes!

This is truly a prison without bars.

A silent scream echoed.

I really wanted to cry.

Less-dried hair flowed down my shoulders.

I bit my lip, not knowing that this might have caught Behidat's attention.

"When did you come?"

"Should I tell you?" 

Contrary to his annoyed attitude, his red eyes scanned my appearance at a glance.

The place where his gaze stopped was the still-wet hair.

What's so interesting. Behidat smiled lazily.

I quietly held my breath as I watched the Behidat slowly approaching me.

"Why do you come here so often?"

"Does Kun need a reason to come to his beloved concubine?"

Crazy. I almost swore.

You're really just sitting there talking nonsense. 

I frowned immediately.

"Are you kidding me?"

I was genuinely annoyed. This guy kept me up last night, and now he's doing it again!

How beneficial is a good night's sleep to humans, and how dare you try to disturb it! 

I couldn't help but feel wronged.

I sent a resentful look, but soon realized it was useless and put my hand on my head.

No matter what I say, I will do as I please and then go.

Because I kept bumping into things like that, I got used to this unfamiliar situation.

My body was still shaking slightly from tension, but I could now hide it quite well.

I looked up at Behidat, who had quietly approached her.

Even if I try not to feel like a woman, I can feel that I am a woman just by looking at the strong shoulders that catch my eye.

Was the man this big? Was this creature something that felt so huge?

I was genuinely curious.

Is it just my imagination that whenever this guy stands this close, It feels like a huge wall?

"Why did you really come here?"

A slightly softened voice asked.

Behidat's gaze fell on my cheek.

There was something about the scent of flesh emitted by a woman who had just washed up that unconsciously drew men's attention.

"Have you forgotten?"

"What is it?"

Behidat twisted his lips as if he really didn't know.

"It's like a burglar cat is running around the palace while everyone is asleep."

What a thieving cat.

Are you talking about me?

I kept my mouth shut quietly.

Well, the reason it was placed here in the first place was probably for surveillance.

But it was a bit surprising that he was conducting direct surveillance.

Does that mean he looks that dangerous?


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments