Moonlight - Chapter 17




But how could I, a mere woman, be seen as a threat?

I couldn't understand that part.

Of course, I am suspicious enough, but that doesn't mean I can accept this treatment now.

How could a King of a country, a man who was even a living God, have committed such a heinous act that he needed to be personally watched over?

I hesitated for a moment and then lowered my gaze.

Even if he was a spy, it was absurd that he would go through such trouble.

Up close, my long brown eyelashes fell.

For a moment, Behidat's red eyes flashed.

A large, strong hand lifted my chin.

Behidat lowered his head at the forced gaze.

Red eyes approached slowly.

The moment the distance became so close that I held my breath, a low voice descended coldly.

"Your eyes have changed color."

"..."

Is this what it feels like to have your heart pounding?

I had that thought as well I looked at the red eyes that were right in front of me.

My expression almost clouded without me realizing it.

Fortunately, my breathing did not become interrupted.

I asked calmly, suppressing the feeling that my heart was about to burst out.

"Is it so?"

I reacted with curiosity as if I was hearing this for the first time, and calmly pushed away Behidat's arm that was close to me.

"Have I really changed? Really? Wait a minute. Let me look in the mirror."

The gaze that showed a sharp light was not easily taken away from my eyes, but surprisingly, Behidat's body retreated even with the small force I pushed away.

I, who had barely escaped from his embrace, hurriedly looked for a mirror.

No, I pretended to look for it and let out a sigh of relief..

I love you, mother.

I was grateful to my mother.

Because I always had to lie to my mother and sneak out of the mansion to go on a trip. I wasn't very good at hiding things due to my personality, but I was very good at pretending nothing happened.

Thinking back to my mother, who would easily fall for this act every time but could not help but look at me with suspicion, I felt grateful for my mother's extreme determination for the first time in my life.

I'm glad I'm my mother's daughter 

Nur, who had not yet left her seat, handed the hand mirror over to me.

I looked at my reflection in the mirror.

In my eyes, I looked exactly like me.

The hair and eyes had changed so slightly that you wouldn't notice it unless you really paid attention, so how did you notice this?

I pretended to look closely and sighed inwardly.

Now I can't do anything that wouId break the spell anymore.

This too had raised suspicions, and if it changed once more, it was obvious that the disguise would be exposed.

Anyway, I was calm.

"I don't know."

I, who had put down the mirror, looked at Behidat and asked.

"Has it changed?"

I felt tense under the gaze that just stared at me without saying anything.

Did you notice?

The moment that thought occurred to me, Behidat moved.

After walking only a few steps, the two quickly became close, and Behidat's gaze quickly fell on my chin.

A gaze that looks straight up at oneself.

There was no way he could miss the deep, hazelnut-like brown tinted with a hint of red.

Because when he looks at this woman, what he always looks at is these eyes.

He thought it had changed, but the color of the pupils had changed, and the light they had remained the same.

A gaze that sees only what it sees transparently.

Yeah, I'll fool you.

Behidat's lips twisted slightly.

"I guess it was a mistake."

"..."

It's amazing how when he approaches her, she is wary but doesn't push him away.

Behidat laughed softly.

It seems like she's going to swear, but instead, she stares at the intruder with a haughty look and makes them back off first.

Whether it be a man holding a sword, a man holding a pen, or a King of a country.

What a courageous gaze this is.

The gaze of someone who has never truly bowed her head to anyone else.

It was an eye with no history of surrender.

That's funny.

This woman lied about nothing, denied nothing, and yet at the same time hid a great deal.

What is that?

A familiar silence.

White eyebrows furrowed slightly as if anxious.

At the same time, Behidat stretched out his hand.

His own hands felt excessively thick as they touched her thin, round eyes.

One of her eyes is really pretty.

He didn't know why these seemingly insignificant eyes made it impossible to take his eyes off them.

He wanted to watch those shining eyes, which seemed to know nothing, fall into endless despair, but he also wanted to protect them.

What on earth should he call this feeling?

Behidat laughed at his unfamiliar self inwardly.

"It suits you." 

I felt the gaze scanning my body and immediately opened my eyes.

It still felt like I was standing naked when I met Behidat's gaze, but I got used to it after experiencing it a few times.

Even though I was still trembling, I did not give in.

"Of course it suits me. Did you think it wouldn't suit me?"

I was satisfied with myself for perfectly pulling off Pesian's clothes.

Since it's a clothes hanger, whatever you wear will look pretty.

Behidat laughed instead of answering.

"Your skin is so amazingly pale, to tell you the truth, I thought it wouldn't suit you."

Are you discriminating against people based on their skin color now?

I thought I would have said more if the other person hadn't been a Ra Kun.

Do you think I'm not strange?

Oh, I can't stand it because it's a Ra Kun.

It was not Behidat who would miss that sign.

Behidat noticed my strangely frowning expression and lifted my chin slightly.

"I guess you're in a bad mood."

I wanted to answer that it wasn't that bad, but that I wanted to hit him once.

But I held back because he was my opponent.

This isn't the North Continent.

As he watched Ashina, who glared at him once and then immediately looked down, Behidat felt an inexplicable feeling.

A mysterious feeling of wanting to touch it a little more, but also wanting to comfort it like this.

The initial doubt has not yet disappeared, but the more he encounters it, the more strange it becomes.

That was Behidat's honest heart as he watched Ashina.

"Your hair is long."

Her light brown hair was as light as a hazelnut.

When he encountered it in the desert, it was so golden that it reflected the hot sunlight.

Of course, it wasn't solid gold.

It was a color like sand.

"Isn't it inconvenient to travel?"

When he first encountered her, he didn't think much of it, but now that he's looking at it, he wants to touch it.

Looking at her own hair caught in Behidat's fingers, Ashina wondered again why the man was acting like this.

"It's uncomfortable. That damn head."

Her long, well-groomed hair fell along her shoulders and covered her chest.

Her hair, which reached her waist, did not grow any further than that, but even though Ashina did not take special care of it, the ends did not split easily.

"But it has its own uses."

Ashina shrugged.

Behidat asked if the answer was correct.

"Why don't you cut It?"

Why don't I cut it?

I imagined when I cut my hair.

Dad will cry. Mom will make a fuss. Cousin Aices will say. "If you have any complaints about the world, tell me," Ikein will laugh until Sung disappears, and Tenain will say, "Cheer up your life."

I guess it's better not to cut it.

Above all, if my grandfather had known this fact, I might not have been able to go on the trip at all.

Well, that's a little scary.

I swallowed a groan without realizing it.

"If I cut it there'll be chaos. Long hair is a lady's life."

I meant it sincerely, but Behidat laughed when he heard that.

I felt very offended at that moment.

Are you laughing at me now?

This guy is real!

In fact, when I started traveling in earnest, I tried to cut off my hair.

Because I was so beautiful, I looked pretty even with short hair and more than anything, it was easier to dress up as a man when my hair was short.

I thought that I would be able to travel more comfortably if I dressed up as a man, but I also didn't like having long hair that was of little use and took up a lot of time to maintain.

But despite all those reasons, I was ultimately unable to cut my hair.

Even though there was nothing to be afraid of in the world, I couldn't bear the shock that would come back to me if I cut my hair and showed up.

Why do men like long hair so much?

Even women like it.

I couldn't understand.

"Why do you travel?"

"Then why do you stay at home?"

Behidat's gaze narrowed.

I bit my tongue at the words that came out of my mouth without warning.

"You?"

"...Your Majesty?"

The momentum suddenly subsided and I couldn't help but laugh at the voice correcting me.

What on earth is this woman made of to be so demanding?

It was cute how she blurted out everything and then took the time to try to sort it out.

Yeah, it was surprisingly cute.

As Behidat closed his mouth, Ashina, oppressed by the silence, spoke desperately.

"Oh, Ra Kun? Can I call you that?

"No."

"Then, briefly, Kun?"

“Nо.”

Even the slightly frowning expression, as if she was about to cry, was cute.

Is this why the chieftains keep pets?

Of course, she was neither an animal nor a truly beloved concubine, but Behidat understood the feeling a little.

Ashina rolled her eyes.

Even though it was so obvious, he wasn't that bothered by the trick.

"Hmm. Oh, so you're Shihad? I think Nasir called you that before."

"Does that mean you recognize me as your God?"

"..."

Ashina's body froze at the smiling voice.

Then a small, cautious voice was heard.

"If you don't mind, may I ask what you mean?"

"It is the name of God, so it means 'my God."

Ashina groaned as if she had seen a disaster.

An expression that is hard to tell whether it is sadness or annoyance.

The fact that she can express her expression so honestly probably means that she is not accustomed to the world or that she does not care.

A little closer, Behidat pulled the woman in front of him.

He doesn't hate the feeling of body heat from their arms touching.

Behidat was a little puzzled by his feelings.

It's not that he hates women, but he finds warmth that isn't what bothers him.

That was the hidden reason and another reason why no woman could give birth to Kun's child.

He couldn't stand being close to other people because it was so jarring when his body temperature came into contact with them.

One, what is this feeling? It didn't bother him.

Rather, he wanted to reach out more.

It was obvious that Ashina was thinking about how to overcome this situation while standing close to the product.

Behidat smiled slightly. He clearly thought he couldn't know what was on his mind. but strangely, the more I mixed up the conversation, the more my boundaries became blurred.

The woman in his grasp was recklessly confident in everything as if nothing in this world could harm her.

"Then what do you call me?"

“Behidat.”

As soon as I heard the short reply, something occurred to me.

"Sihad Zen Behidat. Behidat is your name?"

There was no separate answer, but I understood even without an explanation.

Sihad is the name of God, and Ra Kun is the name of the master of Pesian.

But Behidat was a name in itself, meaningless and without any significance.

I can't just call him Behidat, so what should I do?

I, who had been pondering for a moment, raised my gaze again.

"Then. Lord Behi? Can I call you that?"

"Good to hear."

At that faint smile and that sweet voice that seemed to melt my heart, I could understand what it meant when my heart fluttered for a moment.

I was excited.

It was only a brief moment.

As I was wondering whether I should look away because my cheeks were flushing without me knowing. I heard Behidat's voice again.

"What is your name?"

"You know. You heard it before."

"No. You real name."

Ibshrugged my shoulders at the intense gaze asking if that was my real name.

"That's my real name. In ancient Shihana, it means light and blessing."

No response was heard.

I thought for a moment and then asked again.

"Shall I also explain to you what ancient Shihana is?"

"Did you say it was decided through a family vote?"

I thought he just heard it and passed over it, but he remembered it.

I nodded in agreement, feeling both curious and strange.

"That's right. It was so Intense. Ashina, Arietta, Iril, Anaje. It went up like this, but in the end, my mom said she liked Ashina, so she chose Ashina. I like it too. The sound is nice, and more than anything, I can feel my mom and dad's love whenever I hear the name."

Behidat also smiled slightly as he looked at Ashina, who was smiling beautifully.

Even mentioning parents is like that, but he can tell just by looking at it like this.

"You grew up being loved."

Ashina looked up as if asking how he knew, but Behidat did not explain further.

Rather than an evaluation, it was closer to admiration.

There are no wrinkles and no shadows.

The fact that she was a child born with love and raised with happiness was revealed in her attitude of not hiding anything. And Behidat couldn't be more suspicious on that point. A girl who grew up so pretty is going on a trip?

"Are you an only child?"

He asked in passing, but Ashina opened her eyes wide as if she was curious.

"How did you know?"

Easy.

It was easy to break down the boundaries.

Rather than pushing hard, it was easier to dig in slowly to get the desired response. Behidat's fingers tangled in Ashina's hair.

Ashina didn't seem to mind even though he was playing with her hair.

It seems like it just grew up, but it's used to being handled by people.

Besides, the response to him was also favorable.

It didn't seem like she grew up locked up.

But, strangely, it has a precious feel to it.

The more he tries to figure it out, the more he gets stuck in the maze.

Behidat narrowed his eyes.

"Usually, stories about parents are accompanied by stories about siblings. Since that part is not hidden, if there is no separate mention, it means that there are no siblings."

"I have a cousin who I grew up with. I don't have any siblings, but my mom and dad have a lot of siblings. I grew up without feeling lonely because I had a cousin."

Ashina smiled brightly.

Behidat's gaze was instantly drawn to the white hand that was grabbing his hand.

"But why are you suddenly so interested in me. Behi?"

"Well."

Arms as white and slender as her white hands, and a neckline that traces a delicate line across her round shoulders.

Ashina flinched as she felt Behidat's gaze.

Behidat looked up, thinking that kind of reaction was cute too.

"Because I fell in love?"

"Don't say things you don't mean."

Ashina frowned.

At that moment, Behidat's hand grabbed Ashina's arm.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments