Moonlight - Chapter 15




The moment he noticed my gaze fixed on Karim, Behidat opened his mouth.

"Is Tamura your type?"

"...Yes?"

I wanted to ask what that meant, but the atmosphere was so tense that I didn't.

No matter how hard my life was, I had enough sense, thought, and self-control to do that.

What on earth should I say?

"A man who is good at holding a sword is every girl's dream. Of course,"

No.

That's not the answer.

Miss Ashina...

Nasir tried to persuade me, but I couldn't take back the words that had already been spoken.

Next to me, Karim was suddenly dying, but I just shrugged her shoulders as if I knew nothing.

"Yes?"

"Yes."

"Is it enough to just hold the sword well?"

"..."

Why is the conclusion reached like that?

I thought for a moment and then shook my head.

"No, Karim is handsome."

It was a completely innocent answer, but it didn't seem to make sense to the listener.

Karim was dying even though he was suddenly complimented on his handsomeness.

I didn't know why I was doing that.

As he said, isn't a handsome man who is good at holding a knife every girl's dream?

That was evident from the fact that most of the male protagonists in romance novels floating around Cromwell were knights.

Of course, I didn't understand why the proportion of male protagonists being the Red Knights, who are so hopeless, is so overwhelming.

I understand the elite white knights, but why are the enemy knights so popular?

"But is that what you came here to ask?"

Behidat looked at Nasir without saying anything, wondering what on earth he was planning.

Nasir remained silent for a while and then smiled awkwardly.

My gaze swept over Nasir.

Nasir sighed inwardly at the obviously wary gaze.

"I came to see Lady Asina."

"Should I cover my face?"

The look of annoyance was clearly evident.

Nasir looked back at Behidat.

Behidat gave the order with one stroke of his sword.

"Cover."

"..."

It's annoying.

But I did not reject the abaya that Nur brought me. Seeing I obediently covered my face, Behidat stepped back with a look of satisfaction.

How happy are you that my face is covered?

Putting aside my complaints, I turned to Nasir and asked.

"Why are you here?" 

"I have a question for you. Since you are from the North and a traveler, I think you would know a lot. I have a great interest in the North."

"What will you give me if I tell you?"

"..."

Nasir's smile hardened.

He didn't think I would tell him readily, but he had an expression on his face that said he didn't expect me to openly ask for a price.

I furrowed my brows in disappointment.

"You're not asking me to go through all that trouble bare-handed, are you, Nasir?"

Nasir looked at Sihad.

Behidat didn't react much to that.

In the end, it was Nasir who stepped in to negotiate.

A thirsty person digs a well!

It was one of the laws of the desert.

"Anything you want..."

"Give me back my luggage."

I demanded with sparkling eyes.

"A small pocket, that one."

Who would have thought that I would get my hands on the wallet I had thought I would get back no matter what, and now I have the chance to get my hands on it so easily?

I wanted to cheer at this unexpected opportunity, but I tried to appear calm on the outside.

Behidat, who had been quiet, joined in on our conversation.

It was so slow and languid that I didn't even think to interrupt.

"What's in it that makes you react like that?"

"There's something in there that I don't want others to see!"

Behidat asked back without hesitation, perhaps intrigued by the sensitive reaction.

"What is that?" 

"Underwear!"

"..."
In an instant, the air became still as if cold water had been poured over it.

I continued to speak shamelessly in front of the three men.

"I put a locking spell on it because I was worried someone might see my underwear and other stuff. Do you know how much money it costs to put that one locking spell on it?"

Behidat couldn't help but laugh at my determined expression, which showed my strong will to convert the money into Persian money right away.

Unlike their lord, who covered his face with his hand and smiled, Nasir and Karim were completely frozen in front of the weapon that was women's underwear.

'What did I just hear?'

They both looked at each other with that expression.

"Why are you laughing? What's so funny!" 

I questioned Behidat as if I was displeased with the fact that he was laughing, but Behidat only gave me a laugh in return.

After laughing for a while, he said.

"Okay."

Nasir was rather surprised by the cool Ra Kun's permission.

Karim wondered if this was okay, but Behidat looked back at Nasir with a gaze that could not completely hide the smile and asked.

"Is this enough?"

"Yes, Sihad."

The place where our conversation took place was Nasir's personal secretary's office, which I had visited before.

It was decided because I said I would not tell anyone in the harem even if I died, and he was very satisfied with that.

Of course, I was a little prickly because of the requirement that my face be covered.

Aside from having to hide my exquisite beauty, I hated the clutter in my abaya.

For me, who hated wearing earrings, necklaces, rings, and bracelets because they were all bothersome, Abaya really required a great deal of patience.

If you tell me to wear a mask, I'll wear it.

But where else can you leave a harem like this?

Although it was a short liberation, I never missed what I had seen on my way here.

As soon as Nasir sat down, he placed a thick book from some unknown place on the desk.

I was terrified by the dust, which was so thick it was more than the thickness of the book.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I don't take it out often..."

"What is this?"

"This is a map of the Northern Continent that I studied before."

A huge continent located above the Mediterranean Sea.

In reality, Cromwell monopolized most of the territory, but the land itself was so vast that numerous countries were founded and destroyed during that time.

"You said before that Cromwell is not the only one in the North Continent. Then what other countries are there?"

"There are too many. If I were to list them all, I would have to stay up all night."

"Is it that many?"

"Well, first of all, they are divided into kingdoms recognized by Cromwell and kingdoms not recognized as countries. All kingdoms are basically subordinate to Cromwell and are vassal countries. So let's divide them into Sepia, Cromwell, and Penn."

If you were to draw it in a picture, the center of the North Continent would be Cromwell, below that would be a small Sepia, and above that would be a thin, long Pen tribe. Nasir's eyes sparkled at the name of the country he was hearing for the first time.

"This is my first time hearing about the Pen tribe. First, can you tell me about Sepia?"

"That country is led by a Queen. Sepia is a bit different. This country, what should I say, has a very different culture. It's a country that is friendly to Cromwell but doesn't mix at all. It's unique. That's why it's fun."

Although I was only able to travel there once due to personal circumstances, I really liked Sepia.

Above all, it was impressive that women could freely participate in social activities, perhaps because it was the Queen's country.

It was a culture that arose because women had no choice but to take care of the households, as men often died fighting in the forest of despair that Sepia was born with. Although it is a small country, its identity is strong.

"I've heard of it. Isn't it a country in the Forest of Despair?"

"The mood in the country is good. You can't find the word despair."

Even though the Forest of Despair was the only land connecting the North and South Continents, no one was able to enter it.

I was also very curious, but I could not bring myself to travel to the Forest of Despair.

But I just vaguely thought, 'I should go there sometime when my parents pass away and I'm alone.'

I just had that thought.

"I would like to know about Cromwell. Can you tell me what you know?"

As far as I know...

Knowing so much, I furrowed my brows for a moment.

I should say just enough to avoid seeming suspicious.

In fact, I feel guilty for not knowing why I am doing this now. Oh, is that because I was born a Cromwellian?

"It is a country where the four seasons are evenly distributed and, above all, the land is fertile. Cromwell is rich in everything because it has the land that will reward your efforts with just a little bit of care. When you see that, it is not a lie to say that it has received the blessing of the Goddess."

"Are you talking about the Goddess Limea?"

"You know. That's right."

My gaze softened at the name Limea.

Nasir's curiosity was further fueled by my gentle response as if he were talking to his own mother.

"I find it interesting that the God they worship is a Goddess. What does that have to do with Cromwell's culture?"

"Well, well. Harmony?"

As a large and vast landmass, Cromwell contained a great variety of things.

Now, forgotten things of the past are considered myths, cherished as legends, and made into everyone's history.

A work of art said to have been created by a dwarf, a sword gifted from a clan blessed by the Gods, and even a book containing ancient wisdom.

I really liked Cromwell.

I liked It before, but I fell in love with it while traveling...

"It's nothing compared to the old days, but the priests' sacred power is still sacred and a great blessing of Cromwell. Above all, the scenery is beautiful. I like the colorful trees and the thick greenery that is refreshing to the eyes. I like it too."

"It's hard to imagine. Such green meadows."

Nasir said, stroking his chin.

I smiled broadly.

Because I had a hard time Imagining the term golden sand before coming here.

"It has a different atmosphere from the grasslands here. It's really refreshing. I want to show it to Nasir Iater."

"I really want to see it."

Nasir may have thought it was a formality, but I was sincere.

I wanted to show Nasir the refreshing scenery he had seen and grown up with.

But then I'll die.

I woke up from my dream and returned to reality.

"The best thing about Cromwell is that the politics are stable. Even though they often fight among themselves to the point of chaos under the dukedom, everyone is absolutely loyal to the royal family. Do you know that in the thousands of years of history, there has never been a single rebellion? All Cromwellians are proud of that."

"That's curious. Wasn't Cromwe's Emperor a human being?"

A deep smile appeared on my lips.

"Of course he is human. He is obviously an ordinary human. He doesn't have any special magical powers or anything like that in the royal bloodline."

"Then is there another reason?"

Nasir showed interest.

It was surprising that such an unremarkable family had been respected and loved as the royal family for such a long time.

As Nasir took the bait, I paused for a moment.

"Shall I tell you?"

"..."

This looks familiar.

The moment Nasir felt a chill, I flicked my fingertips.

"With my mouth closed?"

"What would you like me to give you?"

I  laughed softly at the voice that had given up.

I found myself laughing along with the refreshing laughter.

I put my index finger on my chin as if thinking.

"Hmm. I suddenly want to eat some sweet cake."

Of course, there was no way that such a thing could exist in Pesian.

I added softly, slowly looking at Nasir's bewildered face.

"If you don't have that. I'll forgive you even with a date palm."

That damn date palm.

If Behidat had heard that, he would have questioned whether I really wanted to eat it, but fortunately, the person sitting in front of me was Nasir.

At the playful glance, Nasir realized that he was being teased.

He was surprised that he didn't feel bad about it.

I immediately smiled brightly.

"I will send it to the harem later."

"Really?"

Nasir nodded with a smile.

I didn't know you would actually send it to me.

I wasn't eating it right away, but I was still looking forward to it.

Wasn't that the number one reason you came to the Southern Continent?

Well then, can you tell me the price you pay for dates?

"There are two absolute houses in Cromwell. The Sadien of Mu and the Astartea of Mun. That's what everyone calls them."

“Astartea?”

"You know?"

"I know."

I didn't miss the moment when Nasir's expression changed strangely.

Well, it would be strange not to know.

In fact, anyone with even the slightest interest in the North would hear the name of the family Astartea before the name of the country Cromwell.

"Then do you know what each of the two families are like?"

"I don't know much about that."

"Then I'll explain. Sadien is a family of great knights by tradition. They are a great family that has produced many great heroes, to the point that there are even knights who gave their lives for the royal family. On the other hand, Astartea is a political family. They are a great political family that has held sway over the grand history of Cromwell that spans thousands of years."

In fact, Cromwell's real power.

It never rose above water, but Cromwell's nobles always had that so and on their lips.

If you go against Astartea, you will not survive.

It's not like the Astartea family did anything particularly outrageous, but everyone was always cautious like they were dealing with a crouching beast.

My words stopped, but Nasir figured out the significance of Sadien and Astartea's existence from that small hint.

The Western and Eastern Duchyes divided a huge map with Cromwell written on it.

"I see. So those great families established the authority of the imperial family by being absolutely loyal to it, and that is why no one has been able to challenge its Majesty."

"Yes, that's why the Princes' fight for the throne is so fierce. No matter how weak a Prince may have been before, the moment he becomes the Emperor, he receives tremendous protection from both families."

Nasir remained silent for a moment as if he was pondering something, in response to my explanation.

I looked at Nasir, who was lost in thought.

Although he was not a particularly handsome man, his neat appearance left a very neat impression on people.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments