ICTFF - Chapter 14




I came to find flowers (7)

The training grounds were as bright as day even after the sun had set thanks to the lanterns erected on poles in the center of the lawn.

A dozen or so mats were spread out on the lawn. On them, the knights and employees who had arrived earlier were sitting together and sharing snacks.

At first glance, the food looked like it was all bite-sized and easy to eat.

It looked like it was made in the kitchen to eat it while watching the show.

The atmosphere was like a group picnic, and the Eldern knights happily joined in. It seemed like they had become quite close at the dinner last night.

Our seats were right under the pole. Nadia must have been paying attention, but we were a little farther away from the other seats.

As we sat on the mat, Nadia straightened my dress.

Then, she started nagging at Chevio, who was twirling a wooden sword next to me.

“Please stay still! If you don’t, our young lady will get hurt!”

“Oh, sorry.”

Chevio, who had been quiet for a while, could no longer stand it any longer and began fiddling with his wooden sword.

It seems like his body is aching because it's been a while since he last practiced.

“You don’t have to stay by my side. Go and stretch.”

“I don’t need any warm-up exercises. Even if I wake up and fight, I’ll win.”

Oh my, I sighed without realizing it.

As I waved my hand in the air, Chevio suddenly leaned in and whispered something secretly in my ear.

“The Little Prince hasn’t stopped training.”

"...Really?"

“Yeah, He has a ton of calluses on his hands.”

“...But my brother still wins.”

I grabbed his shoulder, who was pretending to be strong until the end, and gently pushed him away.

“Go and relax. Don’t let your guard down and give up.”

“Is that so?”

I handed a handkerchief to Chevio, who was slowly getting up.

“I couldn’t embroider. But I wish you good luck.”

“Oh no? When did you prepare something like this? Huh? I told you that even if you don’t do this, your brothers will win, oh my!”

Chevio, who had been raising his voice so that everyone around him could hear, quickly ran towards the knights.

“He was gloomy a moment ago, but now he's so excited to show off. Am I right? I told you that if you gave him a handkerchief, the corners of our little Master’s mouth would hang up to his ears.”

The handkerchief was Nadia's idea.

It is based on the tradition of a wife giving an embroidered handkerchief to her husband and children before they go off to war, praying for good luck.

Even though it's not a war, luck is needed even in sparring.

“I didn’t know he’d like it that much, but I think he did a good job. When do they start sparring?”

“Well, there’s about 20 minutes left.”

“They all came early.”

“There are some kids who came to see it before the sunset. Would you like some jelly?”

“Do you have jelly?”

“The kitchen kids made it. When you see something so tense, you start to crave something chewy.”

“That’s amazing.”

“We’re serious about playing. Here, eat.”

As I was munching on jelly, it was already time for sparring.

When Chevio and Ian appeared in the center of the training ground, the crowd erupted in cheers.

“Youngest one, yayaya! Brother will definitely win!”

Chevio shouted, waving his handkerchief wildly.

“Oh, please.”

I understand that you want to tell your blind sister, but I am too embarrassed to raise my head.

Two men, each holding a wooden sword, shook hands and then distanced themselves.

The room became quiet.

The two of them raised their wooden swords and aimed them at each other, then began to slowly circle around while keeping each other in check.

The next moment, the two stopped. Chevio's fierce attack continued.

Exactly!

“...What? Am I the only one who can’t see it right now?”

"So do I."

Because the two of them moved so fast, we couldn't keep up with how they were attacking or blocking.

All we can hear is the sound of wooden swords clashing, and then for a moment, the two of them lock swords and engage in a contest, and we can only guess that they are fighting.

Is it just us?

I glanced around and saw that while the knights were watching in a daze, the employees were in a similar situation to us.

“Would you like a snack?”

"Yes."

Before the match started, the food prepared by the employees was piled high on the mat.

We gave up on watching the invisible duel and started eating the snacks.

I couldn't help but laugh.

In the past, I would never have thought of eating out...

That was when.

Puck!

An ominous cracking sound was heard, and the two that had been flying without stopping stopped their attack.

Instead of confronting each other for a moment, they just stand there dumbfounded.

“Huh? Why is our little master’s wooden sword like that?”

By the way, the wooden sword that Chevio was holding was short.

It seems that the wooden sword broke while trying to block Ian's blow.

'Is that a draw?'

As I was absentmindedly thinking about this, both of them turned their heads in this direction at the same time.

Their expression is strange. Why is it like that?

Instead of me sitting still and unable to react, Nadia tilted her head.

“What are they looking at like that? What’s behind us... Huh? Huh?!”

Nadia's eyes widened as she looked back.

An expression full of shock. I turned my head without realizing it.

“...!”

The pole was tilted toward me. A broken wooden sword flew out and struck the pole.

“Youngest!”

“Millenia!”

Chevio and Ian started running towards me like crazy, calling me.

From then on, my ears started to ring, and every scene flowed slowly.

Nadia screaming, employees who still haven't figured out the situation, and knights who wake up late.

In it, I was still sitting.

The pole was so heavy that it took five men working together to move it. Anyone who got caught under it would not be safe.

But I couldn't avoid it. I was afraid that if I did, people would notice that I was seeing things.

What should I do?

In the meantime, it was instinct that I pushed Nadia away with all my might. She was someone who would have been crushed instead of me.

"Miss!"

Time began to flow properly again with Nadia's scream.

It's too late to avoid it now. All I can do is hope I don't die.

'If you wanted to kill me like this, you wouldn't have brought me back to life.'

I held my trembling hands. The moment I closed my eyes tightly and prayed to God, a tremendous shock came over me.

“Ugh!”

At first, I thought I was stuck on the pole, but I wasn't. Chevio threw himself on me and hugged me.

It all happened in an instant. I couldn't even react before I was crushed under Chevio.

Suddenly, a pole fell diagonally on his back.

Bam! Bam!

“Whoa!”

The light on the end of the pole broke, igniting the fire on the mat.

People were shouting to put out the fire, people were struggling to lift the pole, and all kinds of noise was going on.

“Youngest! Are you okay? Are you hurt anywhere?”

Even though Chevio asked urgently, I couldn't answer.

Because a scene from the past was superimposed over his voice.

Chevio carrying me, the constant smell of blood, the suppressed groans.

“It’s not hard at all. It’s just that I'm out of breath. Phew, I just rest for a bit.”

At first, I didn't know that he had been injured while trying to break me out of prison.

After realizing it later, I begged him to run away alone, but Chevio never abandoned me.

He held out tenaciously, trying not to be taken away by the soldiers who arrived late and was eventually taken away only after his right arm was completely cut off.

At that time, I held that hand and sat there for a long time.

Skin that is cooling down and feels like rubber that has lost its elasticity.

Even though Chevio's hand was cut off, he still held on to me tightly.

So I couldn't run away. I couldn't bring myself to shake off that hand.

The lips moved on their own.

"...It hurts?"

“Oh no? I'm not in any pain at all? I'm out of breath because I ran around like crazy, not because I'm in pain.”

You might have been able to fool me with those words in the past, but not anymore.

'I can see blood coming out of your head!'

Instead of pouring out the words that were filling my mouth, I shut my eyes tightly.

Something hot dripped onto my cheek. I could tell what it was without looking.

The blood of Chevio.

The smell of my family's blood that was shed for me. The pain that was buried deep inside came back vividly.

My mind quickly became dizzy.

“I’m cleaning it up right now, so even though it’s frustrating, just bear with it for a little while. If you move, you might get hurt.”

You’re already hurt, you idiot...”

With those words, I lost consciousness.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments