FYERIL - Chapter 10 < A Funeral Song For You (4) >



“Who are you?”

I heard the voice of the butler, Wilhelm, asking for the guest’s identity.

“...A jeweler? From Pierre? ...Please wait a moment. I will check with the master and come back.”

I suppressed a smile at the voice that followed.

It was perfect timing. It was almost ghostly.

***

“Oh my, I think the jeweler has arrived.”

Ariana smiled brightly and turned around before leaving the living room.

Lucas blankly stared at her fluttering steps like a butterfly.

“Marquis...!”

Elena tugged at Lucas’ sleeve.

Her sad face looked pitiful enough to make any man feel sorry for her.

“What’s going on? I think my sister misunderstood something... What should I do?”

“...I guess I should go out for now.”

Lucas swallowed his embarrassment and followed Ariana.

The jeweler Pierre, who was standing in the hallway, noticed Lucas and made a delighted expression.

“Ah, Marquis Pedegrin! Good evening. I came here after finishing the work.”

“Why did that idiot crawl all the way here?”

Lucas gritted his teeth. He said he would come to get the jewels when they were finished, and he never said anything about bringing them.

“...How did you get here?”

“Ah! I thought it was a good thing that the Marquis was headed to the Lopez mansion, so I went to the lady who would be the owner of these jewels.”

The jeweler Pierre opened the jewel box with a big smile.

A dazzling blue light appeared like waves, teasing his vision.

“Oh my.”

Ariana smiled happily as she looked at the topaz necklace.

“It’s really beautiful.”

“Hehe, I’m glad you like it.”

Pierre smiled happily and carefully lifted the necklace.

“Even the initials you ordered were perfectly engraved.”

True to his words, there was a delicate calligraphy engraved near the halo surrounding the topaz. Ariana’s eyes flashed with a smile as she saw the AL initials. The smile, which seemed cold enough to be a mockery for a moment, blossomed into a full-blown smile before it passed. 

“Even my initials were engraved. When on earth did you prepare something like this? I’m so touched, Your Grace.” 

A crack. 

A sound like teeth grinding came from behind Elena. However, Lucas didn’t hear it. He was staring at Ariana’s bright face, thinking at an odd moment. 

‘She’s a woman who can smile so brightly.’ 

Ariana Lopez was a boring woman, strictly speaking. He couldn’t help it, since she didn’t know how to gently embrace him or how to steal a man’s soul with her coquetry and charm. However, the music that her cunning hands drew was real. 

The Marquis Pedegreen had a somewhat empty coffer due to previous investment failures, but his honor was no less than that of any other family. 

As the only son of a prestigious family, Lucas grew up surrounded by precious things. It was only natural that his taste would naturally grow. Even with Lucas’ artistic sense, which was honed to the highest standards, Ariana’s music was special. If he invested well, he could hear the sound of gold coins piling up. Her pretty face was a bonus. 

However, that pretty but boring face had a bright smile on it, which felt different. 

‘This isn’t bad,’ 

Lucas licked his lips. He felt quite good when her usually quiet face smiled at him. She didn’t feel as flashy or sly as her younger sister Elena, but her pure love for a single topaz necklace was quite attractive. 

‘Anyway, it’s not bad to win Ariana’s heart.’ 

She wasn’t completely on a leash until they entered the wedding hall. Lucas swallowed hard and said with a smile on his face.

“That’s right. I prepared this with great care for you. I’m so happy that you’re so happy.” 

“Marquis!” 

Elena shouted sharply but quietly in a breathtaking voice. Instead of answering, Lucas wrapped his arms around Elena’s waist and let go. Elena, who was trembling with anger, barely managed to calm down at the blatant gesture. 

‘It’s not easy to satisfy both women.’

It was a bit of a misunderstanding, but it was enough to give Elena another necklace. The treasury of the Marquis Pedegrins was not what it used to be, but it was not a sapphire, and a topaz necklace or two.

 If you can’t give a woman that much, you’re not a man.

‘Instead, since there was an unexpected expense, let’s visit Ariana’s room today.’

Lucas was thinking that at that moment.

“What are those on the side?”

Ariana asked innocently. Her eyes were scanning the other accessories hanging next to the necklace.

They weren’t the jewels Lucas had ordered.

However, Pierre, the jeweler who had strategically displayed other accessories that would go well with the necklace, was delighted.

“Oh, you mean this bracelet and earrings? They look like a painting next to the topaz necklace, don’t they?”

Lucas’ eyes flinched.

The bracelet and earrings were set with high-quality aquamarines, and although they were small, they were all more expensive than the necklace.

“Yes, it’s very beautiful.”

“You really have an eye for it. You really have the eye for it of the future Marchioness Pedegreen!”

The future Marchioness 

At those words, Elena’s heart fluttered once.

Ariana smiled brightly as if she didn’t feel the sharp gaze like a thorn at all.

“Not just the necklace, but this full set... Thank you so much, Marquis!”

Pierre, the jeweler, rolled his eyes secretly. Since the future Marchioness took the bait as planned, the only thing left was whether the Marquis would pay for the bait.

Lucas gritted his teeth slightly as everyone’s eyes focused on him.

‘...How much is all that?’

That damn merchant.

Pierre’s words made him grit his teeth, but it was already too late.

Lucas clenched his fists as Ariana stared at him.

If he bought all of them, he would definitely bleed a lot.

However, his pride as a man did not allow him to say, “It’s too expensive to buy that.”

In the end, Lucas gritted his teeth and said,

“...Of course, it’s all a token of my sincerity for you.”

“Oh my, you’re the Marquis after all! Your fiancée must be so happy with such a big distribution!” 

Pierre, who had secretly included it out of greed but had not expected to catch such a big fish, immediately smiled brightly.

“...Ha!”

Elena grumbled briefly and, unable to control her anger, stormed off.

No one caught her as she left.

Elena was dumbfounded by even that fact.

She existed, but she wasn’t the owner of the jewels or the center of attention.

This was the first time in her life since her debut as a soprano.

“You stole my jewels!”

Before climbing the stairs, Elena glared at Ariana, who was surrounded by jewels, until her eyes hurt.

The jewels she had obtained with all her coquetry and charm were stolen by a momentary misunderstanding. Even a thieving cat that steals fish from a stall would have a better conscience than that.

“I’ll get them back. And I’ll give them back.”

The jewels will definitely be returned, and this disgrace will definitely be returned.

Elena made a firm resolution and left the stage in loneliness.

***

“How strange.”

I muttered quietly, looking at the chest full of jewels.

The jewels I had ripped off today alone would have been enough for several months of living expenses for the Marquis.

It was really funny.

When I was the Marchioness of Pedegrin, it was very difficult to open Lucas’ wallet even when I asked for basic expenses because we didn’t have enough money for daily necessities and the salaries of the servants.

“I am also happy that the Marquis has shown you proper sincerity.” 

The butler Wilhelm said quietly, perhaps thinking that I liked the jewels.

Wilhelm looked back and had a strangely relieved expression.

I suddenly recalled an old memory.

“I think I hear a sound in the office, ma’am.”

“A sound?”

“Why don’t you stop by and take a look?”

If Wilhelm hadn’t told me that before he died...

I would probably still be living my life being fooled by my family.

“Wilhelm.”

I said in a calm voice.

“Yes, ma’am.”

“These jewels. How much would I get if I sold them all?”

“...Yes?”

Wilhelm blinked.

“Ah, um. I think about 50 million cadinas will be enough.”

“Okay, that should be enough.”

“Miss, by any chance...?”

“You’re really going to sell them?”

Instead of answering his question that I couldn’t bring myself to ask, I smiled brightly. 

“Do you know of a pawn shop that buys jewels at a reasonable price?”

Wilhelm looked extremely confused but answered my question like a loyal butler.

“Thank you. This is both an introduction fee and a silence fee.”

When I said that while handing over a small jewel, Wilhelm’s face turned pale like a corpse, beyond embarrassment. I looked at the butler who had been guarding this mansion since my maternal grandfather’s generation and whispered secretly.

“It’s a secret for the time being that I sold all of the Marquis’s gifts.”

This little commotion was definitely not something I had planned.

However, I was going to make good use of the opportunity that had come my way.

‘I also have a place where I can put the money to good use.’

***

The next day.

I stuffed the gold coin pouch, which was quite generously weighted, deep into my clothes.

The jewels Lucas had gifted me were exactly 50 million cadinas, and went into my pocket.

As I left the pawn shop, I headed to my next destination.

When I traded with the pawn shop owner, I gave him one more small jewel and received a recommendation for a useful information guild.

Places that handle expensive items like jewels are always thirsty for good information.

'This is it.'

Although I had passed through a winding alley, the address I was looking for was a building that looked quite neat.

I let out a sigh of relief inside. I was a little nervous because it was my first time coming to a place like this, but fortunately, it wasn't as dangerous as I had imagined.

'Well. These days, information guilds are said to be so out in the open that they even take on trivial tasks like finding cats.'

Squeak.

When I opened the door to the building, there was a rather ominous sound, contrary to its appearance.

Fortunately, there was someone inside.

The shadowy figure of a person turned toward me at the sound.

“Ah, the owner is out today, so we’re not doing business... B-up?”

B-up?

I tilted my head at the strange greeting.

As I looked at a man standing at the counter, I saw the man quickly pull his hood up.

I slowly stepped inside and asked.

“I came here because I have a favor to ask. You’re not doing business?”

“Lee a favor from the lady?”

‘What? The voice seems strangely louder than before.’

Now that I think about it, it seems like I’ve heard it somewhere before...

“Uh, um, uh. Please, sit down. My name is Le... ornard. I’m the owner of this guild, yes.”

I saw the man who identified himself as Leonard strangely glancing to one side.

I almost fainted as I absentmindedly turned my gaze.

‘...Was there someone else?’

If I hadn’t paid attention, I probably would never have noticed.

The man who had permeated the shadows of the shady area seemed to be one with the darkness.


A New Series, Regret Become the Mother-In-Law of the Heroine is out now!
You can check it HERE!


Previous                    Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments