IHMEB - Chapter 126 < I Missed You >




“Isn’t a man who doesn’t have the eloquence to please a Lady’s heart a good idea?”

Ny back felt tickled as I saw the tip of his tongue slowly crawling out from between the beautiful lips to lick his thumb. It was as if the spot that Kaian licked was not the tip of his thumb but my waist.

“Are you doing that on purpose?”

Even though he knew everything about me, there was no doubt that he was using his talent to captivate me. At this point, there was no way he didn't know that I was extremely weak to him, and Kaian was sincere in teasing me at times as if rolling me in the palm of his hand.

“Do you understand now? I thought I would feel better if I gave you something sweet, but you were sore the whole time.”

Kaian came over to me, and he lifted me up and held me in his arms.

“I have no choice but to give you something else that my wife likes.”

Cmibclosed my eyes as I watched Kaian approach me with his head tilted. I could vividly feel the taste of melted chocolate on the tip of my tongue between his lips. The sweet and rich taste gradually became blurred between the exchanged kisses, and only when the familiar scent of Kaian became stronger did our lips finally separate.

"You are... There is no need for eloquence.”

There were women everywhere who would shower Kaian with affection if he just stood there and glanced at them.

No matter how much I thought about it, I couldn't imagine a person like that writing a letter asking for love, as if desperately pleading with someone. Kaian was someone who could easily have whatever he wanted.

“Don’t do poetry or anything like that. Who do you want?”

I was in a situation where my confession was rejected. I could bear it to this extent because I thought that Kaian was not very passionately clinging to Madame Marcel.

'To think he's into someone and is copying poetry.'

Just thinking about it made my blood pressure rise.

“I’m glad my wife isn’t pleased. I guess Temnes’ sword is stronger than the pen.”

Looking at him working brilliantly as a Lord, it did not occur to me that he would be weak in literature since he was a military officer. However, when I realized that he thought of himself like that, I felt like Kaian was more human.

'There are some things he can't do.'

As I was pondering what I had just heard, Kaian called my attention.

"Anyway. It is meaningful to me that Valquiterre came like this.”

“Because he is the only person you consider family.”

If we follow the logic, I am not yet part of Kayan's family. I was just jealous that he was so close to Valquiterre.

“Treat him so that he can be comfortable. The butler will do the rest, but is there anyone else the King can talk to but me or you?”

"Yes. I will do that.”

When I answered obediently, Kaian looked satisfied. The man with his bad temper likes me when I obey him, and teases or presses me when I get angry or rebel.

“But I can’t take my hands off work in the castle. Please let me do it.”

I spoke with today's event in mind.

“I won’t overdo it.”

The reason I deliberately gave him an answer that he would like was so that I could get one too. It would be difficult for him to refuse my request right away, given that I agreed to help Valquiterre with his work.

"Yes. As long as you don’t overdo it.”

I sighed softly.

'It's usually like this for an aristocratic couple.'

Even conversations with my husband couldn't help but think of the political implications.

***

That night, a grand banquet was held in the castle.

Putting to shame the old saying that where there are no ears to hear, even the King curses, they were busy gossiping about Valquiterre even as they set foot in the King's main residence.

“How dare our Lord come and go as he pleases, but he is the King and invades Rowen?”

“Let’s show them an example. Don’t let Temnes be ignored again.”

“How about we all skip the King’s Welcome Ball?”

Their master, Temnes, was the ruler of this land who left a great mark on the history of the Kingdom of Oberon.

Originally, those who were ruled, whether family vassals or territorial subjects, believed that the lord in front of them was greater than the King far away. This is because they are much more afraid of the power that can directly affect their lives.

“I heard that 10 years ago, he could even eat a meal.”

“His Highness Kaian was even greater in terms of height and physique.”

Aside from the lack of respect, it is not enough to bring up the weight of the Duke and the King from 10 years ago and say that the Lord was greater.

“Why is he still single?”

“If he were to be alone at that age, he would have some eccentricity or something lacking as a man.”

"I know. Look at our Lord. After getting a good deal from Madam, he feels much more stable.”

He talked as if forgetting that just half a year ago, Kaian had also been single and that the entire castle family had come together to treat Claudel as a bride who had been pushed out of an enemy family. Even though the person who organized this marriage was Valquiterre.

“I thought I would forget for the rest of my life that I sent my Lord into battle!”

In the Kingdom of Oberon, isn't Rowen the place where public sentiment toward the young King is the strongest?

The Rowen estate was a large land shaped like a long diamond, and it was a three to four-day ride by horse from the castle located south of the center to the northern end of the estate.

Because the advance party was sent three days later, the family vassals gnashed their teeth as they departed in a hurry even after a telegram was sent and barely arrived on the day of the banquet. It was like the already hateful guy had done something hateful.

However, when they saw Valquiterre sitting at the head of the banquet hall, everyone fell silent and became quiet.

“I am very grateful for your hospitality.”

The vassals of Rowen Castle all respected and admired the deceased Lady Elise.

Antipathy toward Valquiterre had been percolating ever since Queen Silvia died and Kaian left for the battlefield.

In front of the portrait of Madame Elise, which still stands tall in the center of the entrance hall of Rowen Castle, there was a steady stream of people who stopped by during work at the castle, took off their hats, placed their hands on their chest, and prayed for her eternal rest.

“I missed Rowen. I could not easily leave the royal castle due to my heavy responsibilities.”

The Crown Prince, who played with a wooden sword in the back garden with the young Lord when he was young, returned as a full-fledged King when he grew up.

“Rowen was always a special place for me. I think my mother will be happy to see me return to Rowen.”

The young man with pale lemon-blond hair and blue eyes was elegant and beautiful. Even to those who have never seen the Queen or Madame Elise in person, his unique aura is so similar that he looks at least like a person walking out of a portrait of the previous Duchess.

The young King said this land was a special place to him. He did not say that he had come, but that he had ‘returned.’

With just one word, they could feel how special he cared for Rowen and how he regarded it as his heart's home.

Those who had so much to criticize Valquiterre were influenced by a few words of his and sat down in front of the table where a mountain of sumptuous dishes was laid out, taking out handkerchiefs to wipe away tears, and sobbing sounds could be heard here and there.

“Let us raise our glasses today for Rowen’s prosperity. Let's drink! Rowena!”

There was no one who would refuse a cup not for the glory of Oberon's kingdom but for the prosperity of Rowen.

At that point, the anger toward Valquiterre disappeared as if it had been washed out of everyone's minds, and the bold decision to boycott the ball welcoming him flew by without a trace.

"Oh my God. I wonder why you haven’t had a partner until now.”

“There can’t be two angels in this world. Right. It would be nice if wings grew on my back.”

The people who had been criticizing him until just now, asking if he was alone because he had problems at night, narrowed their eyes and praised his beauty, and convinced him that it was because it was difficult to find a partner suitable for someone as beautiful as Valquiterre.

While the blood relatives and retainers of the Temnes family who participated in the banquet were making a fuss.

“Who cleans Your Majesty’s bedroom?”

“She went home earlier. I ran away because I was afraid they would ask me to change seats.”

"Alright. I want to serve you tomorrow morning.”

The maids of Rowen Castle also didn't know what to do as their hearts swelled in anticipation of an unexpected 'accident'.

Leaving behind the excitement and noise of the castle, I headed to the castle's back garden.

“Whoa.”

Although Rowen is warm all year round, the night air is a little different.

Due to the season, the air felt lukewarm even at night in the summer, but now that it is winter, the night is definitely cooler and the coldness becomes more evident.

“Everyone is upset. Really."

I felt as if Rowen Castle had now become a seething furnace.

Everyone was swept away by the unknown heat, excited, and noisy.

While I was suffering from morning sickness, the garden which is had not visited for a while, was filled with flowers I had never seen before as I illuminated them with my lantern.

I went to the lakeside and sat down with my back down.

Because the lights of Rowen Castle, which forms a nighttime castle, were reflected on the water, it didn't feel that dark. Because it was the first time I had seen the entire castle lit up like this, I was also taken in by the beauty of Rowen Castle.

At that time, I heard the sound of stepping on the grass behind me.

“What are you doing here alone?”

“Ah, the King is gone...”

I hurriedly got up and tried to call him, but stopped talking.

“I asked you to call me when it’s convenient for you two.”

“...Bark.”

“Fortunately, your memory doesn’t seem to be bad.”

“Why did you come out alone?”

The star of today’s dinner was Valquiterre. It was not common for the person sitting at the head of the table to leave his/her seat.

“Then should I come out alone and take Kaian with me? One of the two will have to keep his position.”

When the answer that sounded like a play on words came back, I became embarrassed.

“Your Majesty speaks well. I heard several people ringing the bell earlier.”

Valquiterre laughed loudly at my words.

“It must have been sincere.”

Valquiterre's voice became serious.

“I missed you.”


Previous            Next


   Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments