IHMEB - Chapter 127 < Something That Kaian Would Hate >




“I missed you.”

Valquiterre's voice was soft and friendly as if it had cut through the mood of the night.

"A lot."

The lights of Rowen Castle fluttered in the waves of the lake, like the marks of a painter's brush. As the light darkened and brightened as if caressing her white face, I felt my heart flutter.

"I missed you."

Feeling my cheeks getting warm for no reason, I unconsciously grabbed the hem of my dress.

'If someone sees it, they'll misunderstand it.'

I put on a nonchalant expression to appear resolute.

'It's like a confession, isn't it?'

Of course, I had never received a serious confession from a man in my life, but I had read quite a bit in books.

What is the fun of a novel? Isn’t it about imagining what it would be like if it were me?

‘Look at me. Why are you panicking?'

His face, bathed in night shadows, strangely looked more like Kaian. At that moment, it felt like a very similar person, as if the deep colors had been taken from Kaian's strong appearance and moved to a dark background.

It felt strange to hear words I had never heard from my husband before, in a tone that was so out of place that I couldn't imagine it.

'I can't believe they feel similar even though the colors are completely different.'

Maybe that's why my mind calmed down in an instant and I was able to regain my composure. Because it reminded me of Kaian, who had casually pushed away my heart and built a wall.

'It's not the time to think about this.'

My husband's cousin, whom I had only met a few times, was a difficult person, regardless of his status as the King. I quickly made light and small social conversation.

"Yes. I guess so. The last time you visited, you couldn’t enter the castle and only stayed in the back garden for a short time.”

Even though I could barely say something in agreement, I felt dizzy.

'If Kaian had said something like that, how nice it would be for me to hear it.'

It was quite impressive to see Valquiterre speaking to me, with a face that resembled my husband's and a gentle and friendly expression - although I knew full well that the subject was Rowen Castle, not me.

Since Kaian didn't give me the answer I wanted, it felt like he had touched my inner feelings that I couldn't quite change.

Valquiterre let out a light laugh and put his index finger in front of his lips.

"Shh. That should be kept a secret. Is the promise still valid?”

“A promise?”

“Didn’t you ask Kaian to keep her swimming practice a secret?”

"Ah...”

Valquiterre asked as I made a small noise as if I had belatedly remembered it.

“Is it no longer a secret?”

"No. It’s a secret, right?”

“Are you saying you haven’t shown Kaian your swimming yet?”

To his question, I nodded my head.

"Yes."

“I enjoy teasing him.”

Valquiterre’s words came out of nowhere.

“So it’s interesting that you and him are sharing some kind of secret that he doesn’t know about. Kaian will definitely hate it.”

He looked innocent when he mentioned Kaian.

Did someone say that the new King is as flawless as a code of laws engraved on gold plates?

The monarch, of whom rumors spread widely throughout the kingdom, had never seen him strictly commanding his subjects, and since she had only seen Valquiterre in a private and flexible manner while attending the royal ball, I felt that he was less difficult to deal with.

“You two have the same personality.”

I was dumbfounded and spoke honestly without realizing it.

“It’s the same?”

"Yes. Yiu wants to make fun of me too.”

"Haha."

Valquiterre l smiled with his wide face whiter than the moon.

“Should I be happy or sad?”

The lakeside had a unique, quiet atmosphere under the curtain of night. I, who was standing looking at Valquiterre, who was laughing heartily at what was so funny, made up my mind and opened my mouth.

“Actually, there’s a reason I couldn’t show Kaian how to swim.”

“Is there a good reason for that?”

He showed interest, the smile still not fading from his lips.

“I confessed, but I got dumped.”

"I beg your pardon?"

“I honestly said I was getting better, but Kaian said that just because you don’t like it doesn’t mean you like it.”

What I could not confess to Hannah and Madame Marcel, who had encouraged me to confess, I was able to easily reveal to Valquiterre, who was less close to me and whom I rarely encountered.

“I don’t think he would be happy to see that I practiced swimming or something like that.”

Suddenly, the night breeze flowing around them felt a little cooler. When Valquiterre could not say anything to me willingly, I was the first to open my mouth.

“Shouldn’t you be happy?”

I was embarrassed as Valquiterre opened his eyes wide in surprise.

“Because this is what you wanted when you ordered me and Kaian to get married. Vermont’s daughter had set her heart on Temnes.”

I had never defined my relationship with Kaian in this way, but after talking about it, it felt so heavy that it made me feel sad.

“Who would dare defy His Majesty the King’s foresight? The two families will have peace for a long time, something that previous generations of families were unable to achieve.”

Time will pass, and one day Irena, her husband, and their children will become the heirs of Vermont.

“My heart has been held hostage. What could end a long-standing feud more clearly than this?”

Just as Irena and I cherished each other and got along well, I had no doubt that our children would get along as well.

“Why do you talk like that?”

Valquiterre asked the playful tone from a moment ago gone.

“Are you okay?”

"Yes?"

I suddenly raised my head and faced Valquiterre.

'Are you okay?'

Of course, it wasn't okay. After that, I was with Kaian in the narrow carriage all the way back to Rowen.

I shared the same bedroom at night, looked at his face every day, and when he extended his hand towards me, I couldn't refuse and was dragged around like a hunted animal with a snare around my ankle.

Every time that happened, a cup of tears poured into my heart, filling it with salty sadness, but those days were to be every day from now on.

'It's not okay though. Does he care?'

I was on the verge of bursting out in tears when the person who ordered our marriage from the top of the world for political reasons spoke to me as if he would console my emotions and comfort me.

“I am the Duchess of Temnes.”

In the end, I ended up giving an odd answer to avoid Valquiterre's question about whether I was okay.

“Because I am a Duchess. I’m going to try to make him like me more.”

“Are you overdoing it?”

“That can’t be right.”

“I don’t think there are many people who would feel comfortable opening up. Am I not like your friend?”

Valquiterre spoke softly.

“If you have any difficulties, it’s okay to tell me anything.”

I thought over the words he had just said.

'I guess I said it for no reason.'

Originally, in the north, grand events were not held often due to the cold. I, still unmarried, would sneak back to my bedroom, with only my face illuminated, as the Duchess of Vermonte disciplined me.

So I got on my nerves a lot because I wasn't used to being the hostess and greeting the guests in person, and the fact that my casual conversation wasn't just for everyone was painfully felt.

'I need to talk about something else.'

I smiled brightly, completely changing the mood.

“By the way, when are you returning to the capital?”

“You mean me?”

“I haven’t heard exactly how long you will be staying yet.”

"I am...”

Just as Valquiterre was about to open his mouth, Kaian's voice was suddenly heard.

“What are you doing here?”

The castle was so noisy that the loud noise could be heard outside, and we were so focused on talking that we didn't even know who was coming. Kaian, who approached with a cold, stern face, pulled me into his arms and frowned.

“Since when have you been with him? Your body is cold.”

“It hasn’t been that long.”

I, watching Kaian unbutton the jacket he was wearing, tried to stop him.

“Don’t do that. It's a welcome banquet for His Majesty the King, so you have to be polite...”

“It’s Your Majesty’s welcome banquet, but there’s no guest, so why bother saving face?”

He wrapped the shirt he had removed around my shoulders. The difference in his physique made me look ridiculous, like an ungainly scarecrow, wearing the man's clothes.

“What should I do if you leave the room for such a long time?”

Kaian spoke gruffly and Valquiterre shrugged his shoulders.

“Everyone was so unusual, I just wanted to get some air.”

“I’ll take Claudel to the bedroom and then go. First, go to the banquet hall and accept at least some of the drinks offered by the retainers.”

“The lord’s orders. I will follow.”

When Valquiterre finally responded playfully, tendons were seen growing on Kaian's forehead. I quickly clung to Kaian's arm.

"Let’s go quickly.”

It's not that Kaian would treat the King very poorly, but for some reason, after looking at his expression, it seemed like that couldn't be guaranteed.

When we got to thr bedroom and closed the door, Kaian frowned.

“What did you talk about when you two were alone?”

“What are you talking about? Just this and that...”

I was intimidated by Kaian, who spoke sternly as if he was yelling at me and automatically answered with an excuse.

“Is there anyone other than me who can speak to His Majesty the King? You said it first, right?”

“Why didn’t you take Hannah with you?”

I was dumbfounded by his words.

“You ordered that no one but me be included in the sponsorship.”

I was annoyed when I saw the man's eyes change as if he had missed my words.

“I didn’t leave the dinner party to go together or talk. I was just getting some fresh air by myself when His Majesty the King came.”

I was so frustrated that my voice grew louder.

“I can’t kick out His Majesty just because you blocked his access to the patronage.”

“Okay, calm down. Okay. I guess we can’t stop Valquiterre from going.”

As I got excited, Kaian finally broke my spirit.

“As long as Valquiterre stays here, make sure you always stay with Hannah.”

“..."

“No matter how close Valquiterre is to me and we have a special relationship with him, be careful how you behave so that other people don’t spread rumors.”

“...Is that what comes out of your mouth?”



Previous            Next


   Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments