IHMEB - Chapter 81 < Bark >



“Did you tell the Duke of Vermont that you would help him attack Rowen?”

She did not take her eyes off Valquiterre's face. If the King had lied because he had a plan for some reason, it could have been a fleeting moment during the surprise attack that gave her a glimpse of his hidden intentions.

“He knew I would die from herzole. That after death, Vermont will empower me to attack Temnes.”

However, upon hearing Claudel's words, Valquiterre opened his eyes a little wide and burst out laughing as if he were dumbfounded.

“Do you mean me?”

“This is a story I heard directly from the Duke of Vermont."

"Haha. Is it so. I knew you might get sick and die.”

He spoke calmly.

“Valmonde was going through a long drought. Kaian was fully prepared to crush Vermont. You know that.”

“I know.”

Claudel roughly nodded at Valquiterre's unpredictable attitude.

“It was a difficult and important decision for me. I just thought it would be nice if our enemies, who fight tirelessly, could make peace with this.”

Valquiterre did not avoid her gaze.

“If we solve the food problem, we will reduce the burden of feeding Valmonde for over five years with the grain collected in the capital.”

“Then the reason His Majesty took the Duke of Vermont’s side...”

"Hmm. As a result, isn’t it right that you sided with the Duke of Vermont?”

When Claudel made a surprised face, he seemed very amused.

“The Duke of Temnes gained nothing from this, right? Instead, Valmonde’s most troublesome problem has been solved, so the Duke of Vermont has benefited greatly.”

...I had nothing to say.

'All he got from this marriage was me.'

An unwanted, red-haired bride from a family of enemies.

“Besides, Temnes suffered a great loss. Preparations for war were over. Armament expenses were spent, but since there was no war, weapons, and provisions were left to rot.”

My gaze slowly turned downward. Now it was Valquiterre who was sending sharp eyes that seemed to pierce into my heart.

“It’s just a courtesy invitation. I never thought you would come to the capital. So tell me, Duchess.”

"Yes?"

“What did the Duke of Temnes have in mind when he came to the capital?”

I was speechless.

“Even if I call him that, he suddenly came to show his face at an event he had no intention of attending. What is he planning in the name of celebrating the King’s Birthday?”

“Such nonsense... No, Your Majesty."

When I was embarrassed and didn't know what to do, the man, who had unusually cold and solemn eyes, burst into laughter.

"Ha ha ha."

He burst into laughter when he saw me making a strange expression as I bit my lower lip inside my mouth.

“How long has it been since I laughed like this? Haha."

“...”

“He is my friend and brother. There’s no way I would do that to Kaian.”

After hearing Valquiterre's firm answer, I finally felt relieved.

“Were you paying attention to such nonsense?”

“If that’s the case, my fate could have been a factor in my life.”

It was a more serious problem than the Duke of Vermont sending Irena away for the position of Duchess.

If, as the Duke of Vermont claimed, the King had some other agenda in the middle.

It would be very heartbreaking if I survived and Kaian was put at a disadvantage or in danger.

'I don't want to be a burden to Kaian.'

I wanted to be a good wife, I wanted to be a Duchess.

At least until I was kicked out for being quite officially barren.

Once, when Kaian saved my life, he spoke of me 'disgrace of having my bride's funeral as soon as we was married.'

He seemed like a person with great pride and would not accept any flaws.

'I didn't think there would be an opportunity to ask out loud like this.'

There was another reason why I pretended not to resist Valquiterre's recommendation to go for a walk.

This is because there are very few opportunities to speak privately with the king like this.

“The reason you live is a variable. What does that mean?”

“If things assumed to happen when I die don’t happen, things get messed up.”

Things like trading me to get food and using my death as kindling to fuel the fire of the war.

“Do you have such sad thoughts? I’m glad you’re alive and well.”

As Valquiterre walked slowly again, I followed him.

“Isn’t it said that Kaian became stable because of you?”

Even after hearing what Kaian said a moment ago, I still felt doubtful.

Because he wasn't the type of person to say something like that in front of others.

“I can’t believe he's happy. I'm envious. I want to feel that way too.”

Valquiterre's soft voice reached my ears, carried by the cold wind flowing across the plain.

"What a relief, really."

“What are you glad about?”

“When I came to the capital, the relationship between the two seemed very special. So I felt like what the Duke of Vermont had told me wasn’t true.”

“He is like the King of the North. He may have said things in his own favor, or he may have said what he thought was ideal.”

To the Duke of Vermont's remark, which seemed to be an excuse for fear of putting him in trouble, Valquiterre responded as if it was no big deal.

“Don’t blame or resent him. Those who rule over people sometimes have to say and do things they don’t want to say.”

"Yes, Your Majesty."

“Bark.”

He quickly corrected his title.

“Didn’t you decide to call me that?”

“Because I’m not used to it.”

“It will be hard to see you often. We have to work hard to get closer.”

Valquiterre stopped in his tracks and lowered his head to be at eye level with me.

“Then may I call you by your name?”

"Ah...”

Come to think of it, Kaian also conveniently called Princess Bianque by her first name.

If the royal family tradition was to be friendly enough to call each other by their first names rather than treating each other with courtesy, it was difficult for me to continue to draw the line.

'...He'll be okay, right?'

In making that decision, Kaian, who dared to call the Princess's name 'Bianque', had a large stake.

"Yes, Bark.”

"Great, Claudel.”

For a moment, brilliant joy seemed to appear on Valquiterre's face.

Is there anything to be happy about just because the dignified being of the Kingdom of Oberon is allowed to call my name?

Still, it felt that way.

'You treat me like this because I'm Kaian's wife.'

I was embarrassed but grateful that Valquiterre welcomed me as the wife of his cross-cousin.

When I first arrived at Rowen Castle, I was not welcomed even by the Temnes family, so it felt meaningful that Valquiterre, who was related to Kaian by blood and who said that he was like a real family to him, was kind to me.

Naturally, he was the star of the event, so he must have been busy, but the fact that he personally guided me around showed that he was taking care of me so that I would not be left out at a social event in the unfamiliar capital.

"By the way. How is your marriage to Kaian?”

I blinked at the sudden question.

“I never thought the word ‘happy’ would come out of that kid’s mouth.”

“I’m happy too...”

I was about to answer.

Valquiterre stared behind me and furrowed his brow.

I looked back at him in confusion and froze in place.

***

A familiar figure was seen behind a building made of logs.

Kaian stood with his arms crossed with a cold face, and Bianque stood with his shoulders pressed against her cheeks as if she were flushed.

The two people seemed to be exchanging words, but because of the distance, I couldn't hear them clearly at first.

But I wanted to know what they were talking about.

As I quietly moved her feet towards them, Valquiterre stopped her.

“Let’s pretend we didn’t see it and go somewhere else.”

"But...”

“If Kaian finds out that you came out of the tent, won’t he be angry?”

I heard earlier that there were two people, including Grand Duke Luxen, who could stop him. I felt more suspicious of Valquiterre's actions of avoiding this place as if he had seen something I could not see.

'Is there something I shouldn't know? Between the two of them, Kaian and Bianque?'

Valquiterre gently urged me.

“Claudel.”

“Bark. He's my husband’s..”

I spoke firmly and took a few steps towards the two people without warning.

Then Kaian's voice was heard clearly.

“I hope something like this doesn’t happen again in the future.”

Even as he spoke to Bianque, I felt as if all the blood in my body was draining out of my fingertips.

That facial expression and tone of voice.

A voice without recognition and warmth.

I had an eerie feeling of déjà vu, as if her memories of one day, which had been fine for a while and hidden under the cover of everyday life, were being dug up.

Thud. thud. thud.

My heart was beating anxiously.

Just as he had done to me when I first came to Rowen Castle, Kaian harshly criticized Bianque. Her attitude was so overbearing that it could not be expected that he would treat a Princess of a country.

“You probably don’t know that being rude to my wife would be a disgrace to me.”

“It’s really too much.”

Bianque looked indignant as if her teeth were shaking.

“You hugged another woman in front of me as if showing off. You said you were happy and that it was a gift from her.”

“Do I seem like a leisurely person who would even bother to do something like that?”

“To make me feel bad. To make me give up on you. Do you think I don’t know that you're doing this on purpose?”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about. You probably don’t know that this marriage was ordered by Valquiterre.”

Throbbing.

A small blade passed through my chest.

I pressed my fisted hand to my chest.

Then Bianque got angry at Kaian.

“Why didn’t you propose to me?”

“Why?”

“I asked you that, right? Kaian, I sent you ten or twenty telegrams, and you never responded.”

“I want to marry you. I’ve never done it before.”

"Lie. If you really didn’t care, you should have definitely refused.”

“I did. Aren’t you the one who didn’t accept it?”

Bianque's face became pale.

“The marriage has already occurred. This is a marriage that took place according to the King’s command. It is enough for me to show my loyalty to Valquiterre.”

Kaian glared at Bianque.

“Don’t bother me with something like this in the future.”

As he coldly turned around to walk away, Bianque clung to his arm with both hands.

“Who else should I marry? I don't like it unless it's Kaian, please."

Bianque sobbed softly.

“If you just change your mind, Valquiterre will annul the marriage, huh?"



Previous                Next



   Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments