IHMEB - Chapter 82 < Husband's Family >



“If you just change your mind, Valquiterre will annul the marriage, huh?"

The moment I heard Bianque's 
words, I felt a little dizzy.

'What?'

What on earth are I just hearing?

It felt like the whole world was spinning.

Still, if I say that I am fortunate that it is Bianque who clings to him and Kaian who coldly pushes her away, she must be such a pitiful woman.

"Ah."

“Claudel.”

As I stumbled, Valquiter held my back.

Then, at the sight of me, Kain and Bianque saw them at the same time.

Bianque, whose eyes met mine, turned to face her with an expression that did not conceal her hostility.

“Let go.”

As Kaian spoke and half-struck her away, Bianque stamped her foot as if her pride had been hurt.

“I was already planning on letting go. It's annoying."

Whether she did it or not, Kaian walked towards me with his cold face still intact.

The kindness I had felt these days had disappeared as if it had dried up in his eyes, and they were full of unpleasant emotions. My heart sank.

'Why?'

He may be upset because of Princess Bianque, but does it feel like the arrow has come back in my direction?

Kaian came over, took off the cloak he was wearing, and wrapped it around me.

“Why did you come out?”

“I wanted to take a walk and look around Holderei Round.”

“I would have told you not to come out of the tent because it was cold. Why did you take your clothes off again?”

I glanced at Valquiterre.

For some reason, I had a feeling that even if I told him that Valquiter had suggested that it would be better for me to take off my clothes, he would not be able to get his money back. Moreover, I may not be considered loyal to Valquiterre.

“It’s daytime and it’s warm. I took it off because it was hot.”

"I’ll take you back.”

“I haven’t been able to look around everything yet.”

Valquiterre, who had openly criticized Kaian as 'overprotective', came forward.

“I will return to the tent with you. Never mind, stay with the nobles, Duke."

Then Kaian's eyes became sharp.

“I think it would be better for Your Majesty to go with Princess Bianque.”

"Yes? Do you really think so, Peacock?"

"What? I hate you both. I’ll go on my own, so you can do whatever you want!”

Bianque disappeared around the corner of the building.

'I envy you.'

If possible, I wanted to go somewhere on my own like Bianque.

However, it had only been a few hours since I arrived and I had no idea of ​​the buildings or directions to Holderei Round, so I needed someone to guide me.

I sighed slightly and looked at Kaian.

“Kaian, I’ll go back to the tent and wait.”

I didn't want to start a fight and create a strange atmosphere over something that wasn't a big deal.

'I can ask about Princess Bianque separately later.'

He did not hide his disapproval of something.

"Is it okay for Lord Rowen to fall into a situation like this?”

Kaian finally answered my question.

“You shouldn’t overdo it.”

"All right."

“If your leg hurts, call me right away.”

Next to me, Valquiterre could be heard muttering quietly, ‘If it hurts, you should call a doctor,’ but I responded obediently, trying not to offend Kaian’s feelings.

"Okay."

As Kaian retreated, Valquiterre began walking slowly toward the tent again. However, the pace was much slower than before.

'I guess it bothers Kaian that he talked about my legs.'

I called Valquiterre.

“It’s okay if you don’t walk that slowly.”

“I forgot for a moment that you hurt your leg.”

“There is no problem with walking normally.”

“Is there a problem any other time?”

“If I try to run or run fast, it hurts, but it’s okay if I don’t run.”

“Thank goodness.”

I composed myself internally.

It was my first time participating in a hunting festival held in an unfamiliar place with my husband.

But as I heard all kinds of unexpected stories from people I had never met before, I became distracted.

“Bark. There is something that Princess Bianque said earlier that bothers me.”

“What is it?”

“She says you may invalidate my marriage with the Duke.”

"Aha."

Valquiterre made a mischievous expression.

“Are you hoping for that?”

"No!"

“The Duchess is truly honest.”

I could hear the sound of leaves crunching under my feet on the forest path I was walking alongside.

“A marriage made by royal order can be canceled by the King’s ex officio. But I promise.”

Valquiterre stopped in his tracks and made eye contact with me.

“It will never happen if you don’t want it to.”

Without realizing it, I looked into blue eyes that seemed to have been cut from the sky of a clear day.

And I naturally wanted to believe everything he said.

'There's no reason he should lie to me.'

Indeed, I was nothing short of a novice in social circles.

I had no idea how many masks the seasoned young King, worn and tumbled by rolling and tumbling among so many, could change.

Valquiterre, who treated me without any fault, felt sincere and holy like a messenger sent by God to do so.

"Thank you, Bark.”

Seeing me expressing my heartfelt gratitude, Valquiterre extended his hand.

“Do you just say it?”

"Yes?"

“If you’re thankful, shouldn’t you at least get a gift?”

Valquiterre certainly had some similarities to Kaian.

I think I heard him ask me to give him a kiss as a thank you yesterday too. He paid a lot of money to go see the opera in the best place, but I couldn't remember anything about the performance.

I bent down and picked up a small acorn that was rolling among the fallen leaves.

“If you don’t mind something like this.”

“...”

“You would think it was just an ordinary acorn.”

I said seriously.

“But contrary to what it looks like, there is wood inside. It’s very rare.”

Valquiterre asked, taking the acorn from my palm.

“Are you saying this to Kaian too?”

I smiled shyly.

"Yes? Is there anything I can’t do?”

"Yes."

Suddenly his mood seemed to sink.

“Everything I can give you is yours.”

The words of excuse flew out.

“I don’t think it’s a good idea to spend my husband’s money to express my gratitude. If I have the chance later, I will prepare a gift with my own hands.”

"No. I like it. It’s better than what you bought with that guy’s money.”

Valquiterre shook his head.

“You received a tree unexpectedly. I should at least plant it in a public garden.”

He seemed to like the gift and threw the acorn, caught it, and put it in his pocket.

I sighed inwardly, feeling that I had passed a certain turning point.

'My husband's family is really difficult to deal with.'

Whether it is a King, a Princess, or a Grand Duke. There was no one who had it easy.

I truly felt fortunate that the Rowen estate was far from the capital.

***

Walking Claudel to the tent and heading to the hunting ground, Valquiterre tried to control his rumbling stomach.

How he looked forward to meeting Claudel.

When he learned that she was not the woman that Princess Irena had been rumored to be in her patronage.

From then on, the wait until Claudel came to the royal castle was nothing compared to before.

What if he checks it?

What is he going to do with a woman who has already been married by royal order?

Actually, he hadn't thought about it in detail.

He just hoped that the storm he was experiencing for the first time would catch his heart and flow somewhere.

‘Claudel. Claudel.'

He thought over that woman’s name in his mind.

He repeated the name of the Duchess of Temnes over and over again, something he was not allowed to say out loud.

The hunting festival held during the King's Birthday celebration was an event that was embarrassing to even call it hunting.

There was no significant game to hunt around the capital, which was located on a wide plain, except for small animals.

The reason Valquiterre sometimes goes hunting at the Promhunt in Rowen territory is because he knows how to enjoy the authentic taste.

As he often visited Rowen with Queen Silvia from a young age, his first hunt was a fox hunt at the Promhunt, and there was no way he could see the ridiculous hunting at the royal hunting grounds.

However, it was an annual event that the capital's nobles eagerly looked forward to, but in order to see Claudel one more time, he threw in all the animals with sharp teeth and claws as Kaian requested, making it even more ridiculous that there were only rabbits and squirrels in the already boring hunting festival...

Nevertheless, Valquiter endured it.

'I overlooked that Kaian should also be seen.'

He mocked himself. If Claudel came to the hunting ground, it was natural for Kaian to come along as well.

When Valquiterre heard that the Duke's carriage had arrived, he couldn't wait any longer and went to meet her.

Then he saw a ridiculous sight.

Kaian, who had never served anyone in his life, was dressing Claudel with his own hands.

It was Claudel's attitude that made him explode.

Riding Kaian's hand seemed so natural.

Valquiterre felt something was wrong with him.

It feels like his mind is split into things that work and things that don't work.

It felt like day and night, light and darkness were separate and seeping into the left and right sides of his heart.

His world was divided in half by strange standards that did not allow for a middle ground.

He was so upset that he couldn't express it.

'What's good about being married?'

He was very curious as to what Kaian would reply to Grand Duke Luxen's words.

As the saying goes, “Marriage is the grave of life,” wasn’t this marriage ordered in the first place to push Kaian into the abyss?

'I'm happy.'

But Kaian is happy.

Happiness.

Valquiterre had never in his life felt such a positive emotion that condensed everything good in the world into two words.

It was clear that he did not feel that way even when he became King of Oberon and held his coronation ceremony.

The nobles were sitting side by side at a table set up outdoors. When he appeared, they quickly bowed their heads and welcomed the King's appearance.

When everyone who had been greeting each other sat down, someone handed him a glass filled with red wine.

Among those sitting at that time, the hat of Kaian, who was sitting at the head of the table, caught his eye.

It was right in front of him where he was planning to give a toast.

A hat that Claudel boasted that she had made for him as a birthday present.

Kaian, who was said to be the Duchess's favorite, must have been busy watching Bianque and couldn't see it.

At that time, Claudel looked up from under her chin at her husband, who was embracing her, her beautiful golden eyes sparkling.

"Your Majesty. Come on and have a toast...”

Valquiterre raised his glass high.

“I’m glad to congratulate you on the birth of me. I will award a gold coin to the person who catches the most rabbits.”

The nobles cheered ‘Oh’ at his words.

“I pray that His Majesty the King may live forever. Cheers!"

Valquiterre raised the glass high to the sky and poured it over Kaian's proud hat.


Previous        Next


   Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments