IHMEB - Chapter 80 < The Good Thing About Getting Married >






“It’s the Duchess’s preference.”

Bianque raised her eyes at Kaian's words.

He looked down at me in his arms, as if he didn't pay any attention to Bianque.

“She made it for her husband’s first birthday after she got married.”

"What? Nonsense. I heard that you absolutely hate the trends that everyone else is doing. Since when did you listen to others like that?”

“After I got married.”

Between Kaian and Bianque, who responded casually, it felt like a battle of spirit that was hard to describe.

When I was embarrassed, unable to get between them, Grand Duke Luxen laughed heartily and tapped Kaian on the shoulder.

“It’s pretty good. Men change after they get married.”

“That’s too much praise.”

“There is no harm in listening to your wife. You always walked around like an old man. Now that you’ve dressed up like that, the Duke looks like he’s in his twenties.”

“Hmm, no. I just thought I couldn’t ignore what I received as a gift.”

When Kaian cleared his throat as if embarrassed, Bianque screamed in rage.

“Did you purposely wear a hat like that to show off?”

“Bianque.”

“I hate it so much! I hate you all to death!”

Bianque stomped her foot and ran out of the barracks. After that, the maids who were standing outside the barracks hurriedly followed her and disappeared.

“When will she grow up?”

Grand Duke Luxen sighed slightly and apologized to me.

“It looked like you couldn’t see it at first glance.”

"No Your Highness the Grand Duke.”

“Everyone just says she’s pretty, so even when she grows up, she’s immature. It’s a shame.”

Instead, when she saw the Grand Duke of Luxen, who apologized but whose eyes were full of affection for her daughter, I felt a little envious of Bianque.

'Everyone is so stupid.'

The Duke of Vermont and the Grand Duke of Luxen are the same.

A child who grew up receiving a lot of love from her parents felt as if her strength had been concentrated as much as she had received, like a stone in a heating stove.

'It's different from me.'

The sparkling eyes and energetic energy that I lack.

It was easy to tell as soon as I saw it that I had never had it before.

“But she's not doing it with a bad mind. Please understand.”

In the end, wouldn't a strong father like this step forward and save his daughter's face rather than be disparaged even if she was not polite? 

Just pass it by and understand.

“Don’t worry about it.”

"Yes."

When Grand Duke Luxen saw me answering calmly, he asked Kaian.

“It must have been sudden. You seem to be on good terms with the Duchess.”

“It’s pretty good.”

“Is it worth staying with Vermont?”

“My wife is Temnes.”

Grand Duke Luxen, who had been joking, chuckled.

“That’s a correct answer to a question. She's Temnes.”

He asked, looking extremely satisfied with Kaian's answer.

“The King of Oberon needs to get some good wif soon.”

“Do you want me to run out of the tent like Bianque?”

Phew.

I couldn't help but laugh at Valquiterre's joke, which shamelessly responded to the Grand Duke urging him to get married.

“S-sorry.”

“That won’t happen. The Duchess didn’t do anything wrong, so there’s no need to apologize.”

Valquiterre sighed.

“If it’s wrong, I guess I did it. I should have gotten married before Kaian.”

“I’m glad you know now, Your Majesty the King. Please work hard for the future of the Oberon royal family.”

“The Duke of Temnes knows something. What is good about being married?”

When Kaian drew a line and joined the party to promote the marriage, Grand Duke Luxen was happy.

“Why do you get so disgusted whenever the topic of marriage comes up? You don’t even look at the bride I brought from my principality.”

I perked up his ears.

The good thing about being married.

I was very curious about what Kaian thought was good about marrying me

If I think about what he likes about myself...

'...My body?'

It was clear that Kaian loved spending his nights with me.

'You're not going to say that honestly, are you?'

However, Kaian's answer was something I did not expect at all.

"I'm happy."

The other three were unable to open their mouths at the metaphysical answer that came out of nowhere.

Meanwhile, Kaian spoke in a tone that seemed unfamiliar for his age and showed the depth of the passage of time.

“What happened to your parents, becoming the head of the family, and going to war were all sudden, weren’t they?”

"Yes."

“Even the marriage took place with a telegram sent by the King.”

Valquiterre crossed his arms as if to continue.

“Now that the position of hostess in Rowen Castle has been filled, you feel settled and at ease.”

Even so, I never imagined he would say he was happy.

My heart was touched.

By Kaian's side, I was always worried that my daily life would collapse in vain.

I feel like the warmth and happiness he gives me will disappear.

The fact that the man also told me that he was ‘happy’ about spending time with me made everything feel like a dream.

Grand Duke Luxen said to Valquiterre.

“Look at that, Your Majesty the King. Don’t you feel something?”

“It’s nice to see and I’m jealous.”

“At most, I only see you once a year, but I want to be a primary caretaker.”

“...”

I was completely unfamiliar with the atmosphere of pressure for the young King to marry.

“Let’s go hunting with the nobles.”

"I held you back too long.”

When I tried to follow Kaian, he stopped me.

“It’s too cold outside. You can rest here.”

“But I want to see you hunt.”

“I don’t hunt.”

When I looked like I didn't understand, Valquiterre said.

“The Duke is being overprotected.”

"Yes?"

“The Duke of Temnes made such a fuss about the dangers of hunting animals. He says he won’t even show his face unless he catches carnivores with sharp teeth, so their only prey is rabbits.”

When I saw Kaian, he whispered softly in my ear.

“If you want to wear rabbit fur.”

Ouch! What is this man saying?

I felt the urge to grab Kaian by the collar and shake him, my face red.

"Do not. Something like hunting. Don’t do it!”

“I see you like it, so I guess I should catch a few. I’ll be back soon.”

Kaian lightly kissed my forehead and disappeared out of the tent.

When my husband, who had been by my side reliably, disappeared, the tent suddenly felt quiet and desolate.

It didn't seem that spacious when Kaian was there, but now I see that the tent was wide enough for 15 men to lie down.

'Ha. What should I do?'

It was a time when I didn't know what to do in an awkward atmosphere.

Valquiterre picked up his fur cloak.

“Why don’t we take a walk together? Now is the only opportunity to look outside without Kaian knowing.”

"Yes?"

“Isn’t this your first time coming to Holdereiround?”

"But...”

When I expressed my disapproval, concerned about going against my husband's words, the Grand Duke Luxen nodded.

“It’s a royal hunting ground, so it’s worth a look around at least once.”

“Then the Grand Duke must stay alone.”

Grand Duke Luxen responded to those words with a face full of laughter.

“Are you worried? Thank you. I have been living alone since my Queen passed away.”

“I didn’t mean it that way.”

He gave a generous look to me, who was jumping up and down.

“Isn’t this a long-awaited outing to the capital for the young Duchess? Don't worry about Duke Temnes. There are two people here who can dissuade him.”

“Let’s go.”

At Valquiterre's urging, I eventually stood up.

“Take off that cape and cloak.”

I, who had been wearing everything Kaian had tied up, quickly took off the clothes as soon as the King's order was given.

***

The outside of the tent was warmer than when the carriage arrived, perhaps due to the afternoon sun.

'It would be nice if I could avoid Kaian's nagging with this.'

What a nag. It was an expression that really did not fit with Kaian, including overprotectiveness.

'Is all this of interest?'

I didn't want to go against his words.

I was in no position to simply refuse the union of the King and the Grand Duke.

I put aside my thoughts about Kaian for a moment and slowly looked around me.

I had walked along the Valquiterre for some time until I came upon a gentle curve of a shallow hill that was not much of a hill.

Because the surrounding area was so flat, I could see all directions quite clearly.

A place where nobles enjoyed themselves while showing off their colorful outfits could be seen in the distance.

“This is an event to celebrate His Majesty’s birth. Do you mind if I stay here?”

Valquiterre laughed at my words.

“What is the meaning of the day that comes every year? It’s boring.”

He looked at me with a bright smile on his face.

“For me, this birthday feels special because you and Kaian are together.”

“If you think so, I appreciate it, Your Majesty."

I bowed my knees and bowed my head politely.

However, when I raised my head, I made eye contact with Valquitter, who frowned as if he was displeased with something.

“There’s no need to go that far.”

So, are you asking me to speak informally to the King like Kaian does in private?

I thought that would never work.

'We're not that close yet.'

It took more than two years for me to feel comfortable dealing with my adoptive older sister, Irena.

I was not the type of person who could comfortably rely on someone.

“It hasn’t been long since I met Your Majesty.”

“It would be difficult to feel comfortable all of a sudden. Then how about this?”

When I hesitated, Valquiterre added to his words.

“Please feel free to call me when no one is around like this. ‘Bark’.”

Bark.

When we first met at the lake, he told me that was his name.

'Is this the name you used to call yourself when you were young?'

Rather than speaking to the King in a friendly way, I thought it would be better to change his title to something he liked, so I nodded slightly.

“Hey, Bark.”

When I obediently called to him as I was told, Valquiterre looked satisfied.

“Can I ask you something?”

“Anything, as much as you want.”

I stared at him and opened my mouth.

“Did you tell the Duke of Vermont that you would help him attack Rowen?”


Previous                Next





   Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments