IHMEB - Chapter 22 < The Reason I Get Angry Every time I see You >

IHMEB - Chapter 22 < The Reason I Get Angry Every Time I See You >

Having An Enemy's Baby




“...Medicine?”

My pupils opened wide like yellow flower petals blooming, and then immediately returned to their original state, as if they had withered.

“There is no medicine.”

It has been 300 years since Herzol was cured of the disease.

The disease that had bound the people of Valmonde like a curse in a land where half the year was frozen was now an opportunity to have a year's worth of taxes written off when a child was born.

Past heads of the Valmonde family gave a firm warning to their successors. No matter how difficult the situation is or how difficult it is, the baptism of ice must not stop.

Because there is such a great reward, there is no one who does not receive it.

If, for one reason or another, they reduce it to only paying half a year's worth of taxes, the number of people who want to come will decrease and they will become discouraged.

If Herzol starts again in that land, the number of residents will decrease.

Vermonters have known since ancient times that the power of a fiefdom is determined by the number of people residing in the fiefdom.

Herzol was not completely without medicine. However, there was no need for medicine for the disease that was being treated.

Materials that were expensive, difficult to make, and hard to find disappeared on their own because no one was looking for them.

Most of the recipes for various medicines were lost.

“I really can’t stand it. Is everything so negative?”

The voice of the man who had been acting as if he would leave me alone for a few days grew louder.

“It’s not negative, it’s realistic.”

"Ha. You are truly amazing at speaking well. How have I tolerated this for so long?”

"Cough, cough.”

I also had to keep my mouth shut because I would cough if I talked too much.

As I coughed, my eyes became bloodthirsty as Kaian looked at me.

I suppressed my pain by pressing on my chest to stop the bleeding.

After seeing me display my illness, Kaian went crazy like an exploding volcano.

'How dare cunning Vermont deceive Temnes!'

No matter how many times I thought about it, it seemed like the person who had been stabbed in the back could not be forgotten.

'Do you come here with the intention of dying and then save yourself? Isn't this enough when you think about the children you might be able to fill?'

Even though I overlapped his body a few times, I couldn't bear to see him because he was so angry.

'Death will not be your resting place.'

As if he had read my mind, he spoke coldly.

Even though he knew I was sick, when I coughed or saw me coughing up blood, it seemed to Kaian that the anger he felt when he first found out I had Herzol was repeated one after another.

I couldn't understand.

Can't he just let me stay in a corner of this large castle?

He doesn't bother to come and get angry like this.

When the coughing stopped, the room was as cruel as Valmonde's ice castle during the ice age.

I couldn't bear to look at Kaian, so I couldn't raise my head and speak softly.

“It’s okay to move rooms.”

“What do you mean by that?”

“Because this is the Duchess’ room. I can go to the guest room or somewhere else before I die here.”

If I die young here, the next Duchess might not be in a good mood.

I even had a vague premonition of who the next Duchess would be.

“That’s not even funny! Are you really..."

Every time Kaian got angry, his red eyes became clearer, as if they were not human.

He seems like a devil who came to earth through the flames of hell.

It looked as if the legendary fire dragon would emit a breath of infinite heat.

“I finally understand why I get angry every time I see you.”

What is it?

Is there another reason other than because I'm Vermont?

While I was afraid of him, I was also a little curious about it.

“Say whatever you like. Without fear in front of me.”

Kaian gritted his teeth.

“You were thinking cunningly and cowardly that you could do something like this and die. I hate people like you. Want to change rooms? Do you think you have something to ask me now?”

He roughly grabbed my skinny shoulders, rocked my body, and made eye contact with me.

“This is where the self-indulgence ends. Remember.”

It was my ears that listened to Kayan's words, but now they seemed to be engraved on my retinas along with his terrifying expression.

“There is nothing in the land of Rowan that does not go my way.”

As he stormed out of the bedroom, I started coughing again.

The cough that started out slowly ended up being very long.

***

As soon as he came out of the Duchess' bedroom, Kaian screamed loudly in excitement.

"Alright!"

The sound of something breaking was heard from somewhere in the castle due to the shouting coming from a tremendous force.

He smiled and headed to his office.

“I’m going to see something good happen.”

Kaian said he was pathetic.

Every time he went to see Claudel, he showed her one by one what he was hiding inside.

It seems like there is no need to hide it anymore.

As if he was relieved that she didn't have to cheat on him.

He was afraid she was going to die. So he couldn't just leave it alone.

“Is there anyone who isn’t afraid of dying?”

As he entered the battlefield, Kaian was not afraid.

He was confident that he would not die.

Most people would be puzzled or unable to understand when he said this, but he was confident that he would come back alive.

Kaian lived a life without failure.

He had never felt bitter and he believed he never would.

The only one who caused a stir there was Claudel.
 
His marriage to the enemy and the death of his wife were about to become a stain on his only brilliant life.

But the woman he considered small and insignificant took off her mask of indifference.

She was clinging to him, speaking as if nothing had happened, as if what was about to happen to her was natural.

'I'm scared so please do something.'

Still, she did not ask to be saved.

It was his first time like this.

Those whom Kaian faced with his sword begged for their lives.

Then, it was he who would decide whether to save her or not.

He lost the initiative to Claudel.

The woman who had been alone for months with the fear of her death inside her gave up everything.

She says that if a drowning person touches anything she will cling to a straw.

Claudel was an amazing woman who was able to turn the great and strong Lord of Temnes, Kaian, into a mere straw.

She was so scared and lonely that she was clinging to the hem of her enemy's clothes.

“Are you asking me to change my place? Are you moving the room?”

There was a moment when Kaian wondered what on earth was going through that woman's tiny head.

He knew for sure now.

There is something very strange in Claudel's mind that cannot be guessed by common sense.

As soon as he sat down in the office chair, the butler spoke.

“My Lord. The doctor would like to meet with you.”

“Let him in.”

After a while, a middle-aged man with gray hair came into the office.

“Greetings to the great Lord of Temnes.”

“What happened to something I asking you to find out?”

"That is....”

It was understandable to see the doctor's evasive attitude and unwillingness to speak up.

Kaian placed a large bounty to find Herzol's medicine. However, no significant results have been achieved yet.

Herzol was a disease that only spread in the area near Valmonde Castle, which was the coldest in the Valmonde territory.

He can only guess that this is something people develop when they live in a cold land for a long time.

In the south, where it is warm and temperate all year round like the Rowan estate, there has never been an outbreak in history, so there were limits to learning about indigenous diseases in the north.

Kaian, who believes there is nothing money can't solve, did it his way.

He had already raised the bounty twice, and it was the several doctors he had entrusted to analyze or review the drugs received or brought in for information.

However, because all of the prescriptions were false or frustratingly messed up for money, there was still no way to cure Claudel.

“I haven’t found it yet."

"Then raise the bounty further.”

"No. The acquisition process is a bit suspicious, but I found a reliable prescription.”

What is this? The acquisition process is suspicious, but it is trustworthy.

Kaian's doubts were soon answered.

“Well, the envelope has the Vermont family seal on it.”

"What?"

“I brought him in now, but there are a lot of suspicious aspects.”

“I’ll meet him.”

Soon the doctor brought in an old man dressed in shabby clothes.

As soon as he saw Kaian, he trembled with tension, his eyes fixed on the floor.

He was different from those who came to collect large bounties out of curiosity.

“Is it true that you have a prescription for Herzol?”

"Yes, My Lord. That's right."

“Show me here.”

With trembling hands, the old man placed an old, worn-looking envelope on his desk.

Kaian picked it up and looked around.

When he saw the seal on the seal above, Kaian instinctively frowned.

It was the seal of Vermont, an enemy that would not be relieved even if it were replaced.

“Did you steal it?”

"No!"

“Then where did you get these items?”

“Well, that is....”

The old man wet his dry, cracked lips with saliva.

“I’m not much of a person now, but until a few years ago, I ran a large herbal medicine store.”

“Hmm.”

“At that time, there was a person who often came to sell medicinal ingredients collected from the mountains, and one day he handed me money and this prescription and asked me to get medicinal ingredients to make Herzol medicine.”

He trembled with his hands as if he was afraid of Kaian's eyes looking at him.

“That’s right, but you brought an unopened prescription. Did you extort me?”

"Oh my. My Lord. No. Absolutely not.”

The old man jumped up.

“Actually, there was a fire in the village where he lived. I searched, but I couldn't find him again. Ten years have passed since I kept putting things off.”

“It’s not a lie?”

"Yes. Yes. That’s why.”

“You must have stolen that money.”

When Kaian pointed out the old man's shabby appearance, his wrinkled face turned red.

“I have never done anything shameful to heaven. Please believe me. The person who squandered the family fortune is the child I raised incorrectly.”

He said, trembling.

“Ahn Saram is suffering from many hardships in his later years. He was hoping to get a bounty just in case.”

"Butler."

As Kaian made a gesture, the butler bowed his head to his master's call.

“Pay the bounty twice.”

"Ha. thank you, thank you, My lord.”

The old man seemed moved and repeatedly bowed deeply and greeted him.

It was then.

Tuk.

It seemed as if something had bounced out of the inside pocket of his shabby clothes and fell to the floor. It was like a decoration made by carving a flat piece of red jade into a round shape and engraving a strange pattern in the center.

Kaian's eyes narrowed when he saw that.

“Are you a survivor of Flogne Village?”

Then the old man was scared.

"No! Not me! I took care of this because it was the belonging of the person who entrusted it to me.”

“Leave that behind too.”

The old man hastily put it down next to the envelope and stepped back.

“Keep quiet about this. I’ll give you three times as much.”

“Okay, thank you.”

As soon as he left, Kaian opened the envelope with the enemy's seal pressed on it.

What was inside was a prescription.

Even the paper inside was a gold leaf, which is said to be used by the Vermont family to make military records.

“This looks real.”

The doctor nodded.

“Let’s collect the medicine as quickly as possible.”

“But I’m embarrassed.”

He made a serious face.

“I don’t think I can get a single ingredient.”

“Why?”

“It’s an ingredient that was only used as Herzol medicine, so we don’t have it anymore, so there won’t be any.”

The butler, who was looking sideways at the doctor's prescription, nodded and said that he understood.

“The heart of a young wild buffalo.”

The wild water buffalo was the source of the proverb, 'You can't even remove a bone.'

These creatures, which are nearly 3 meters long and live in groups, are extremely affectionate towards their young.

If a young buffalo feels even the slightest danger, they become excited and crush the object they attacked until it becomes an unrecognizable pattern on the dirt.

A lion, the king of the fields, or a knight on horseback wearing armor.

They crushed it with hooves weighing more than a ton until not a single bone fragment could be recovered.

“There would be no way to hunt now.”

“Are you saying the impossible in front of me?”

Kaian raised his eyebrows.

"Find it."


Previous            Next


        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments