Attention!!

Please do not copy and repost series from Novellatte. Please ask for permission first. Let's respect each other.

WMHMS - Chapter 84




Upon seeing the blue flames rising, the guards realize that this is not a simple fire.

It was a fire caused by a magic tool.

'Because if you use a magic tool, the fire spreads quickly and strongly even without using oil.'

The observation deck was engulfed in flames in just one minute, and assassins were guarding all the entrances in case the Crown Prince tried to escape.

On top of that, the rest of the security personnel also arrived late due to the fireworks.

'However, Linea finds an escape route.'

"Carcel, I'm really sorry to say this, knowing you have insomnia."

"Yes?"

"Please call Mr. Isar."

At those words, Carcel slowly raised his upper body.

“At this hour?”

"I could just not go to the fireworks tomorrow, but..."

Refusing Lucian's invitation outright could also be an option.

'And honestly, I'm not even sure that the incident will happen.'

In the original story, Linea was half-confined inside the house, so the setting was that she went to see fireworks with Lucian for the first time when she was 14 years old.

But coincidentally, the situation changed, and this happened to be the day Linea and Lucian went to watch fireworks together for the first time?

And even the place you were invited to is the same place where the fire happened?

So, I had no choice but to prepare.

Besides, considering that attempted assassinations will keep happening tiresomely for the next 10 years, and that I know who is behind it.

'If we can get clues about the mastermind beforehand, it might end faster.'

I know the future, but this is reality.

In other words, you cannot predict the ever-changing future every time.

So, it wouldn't be a bad idea to turn a crisis into an opportunity.

And even if I decline the invitation, Lucian might go to the observation deck alone,

If that happens, it is more dangerous.

If Linea were here, we could at least find an escape route, but since we don't know what would happen otherwise, it's always better to be 100% certain when it comes to lives.

I asked Carcel once again.

"Carcel, I think it would be better to call Mr. Isar." 

It didn't seem like Isar would come just because I asked.

"All right."

Thankfully, Carcel nodded without asking any particular questions.

***

And the next evening.

Pop! Puff!

The fireworks had begun.

Linea opened her eyes wide in surprise at the sound of firecrackers exploding.

Then, Lucian, who was taller than Linea, approached and covered her ears tightly.

"Thank you."

"No. You might be surprised if you hear it for the first time! I was scared when I first saw it, too."

Lucian spoke maturely.

I stood behind Lucian and Linea and watched the children marvel.

"Wow! It looks like the stars are dancing."

“Isn’t it pretty?”

“It’s really pretty, thank you!”

Linea smiled brightly and gripped the railing of the observation deck tightly.

I warned Linea from behind.

"Linea, you might fall! Watch out!"

"Yes!"

It was then.

Bang!

A huge explosion was heard from somewhere.

And thick smoke rose up, just like when setting off fireworks.

"Wow, there's smoke over there!"

"There was a really loud noise."

I calmly explained it to Linea and Lucian.

"Does it make a sound? When we have fireworks, we set them off on the ground, you know? That's why they make this sound."

 "That's fascinating."

However, what the children did not know was that the place where the explosion occurred was the place where they were originally supposed to meet.

'So, that incident ended up happening after all.'

I took precautions just in case, but to think it actually happened.

My mouth tasted bitter at the thought that something might have happened to those cute children if I wasn't careful.

"By the way, that's near my palace. It looks like they're setting off firecrackers over there, too."

"Then it would have been even more spectacular if seen at the Crown Prince's palace."

"Come visit next time. My palace has peacocks and giraffes too."

"Really?!"

The children innocently exchanged conversations even in a situation where their lives might be in danger.

That’s understandable, since the two of them think they’ve been playing ‘secret hide-and-seek’ all day long.

All of this goes back to early this morning.

Carcel and I exchanged glances, unable to get a wink of sleep.

And I approached Linea, who had just finished breakfast, and made a suggestion.

"Baby, shall we skip studying today and play some fun games?"

"Yes! What kind of game is it?"

"Hmm... Today, Linea is playing a secret game of hide-and-seek, hiding her identity all day long."

"Ah. I've heard of that! You go around wearing a mask, right?"

The one saving grace was that people even wore masks at the spring flower festival where the fireworks took place.

Because on that day, everyone hides their identities just to have a wild time.

Perhaps that is why Linea nodded, finding it amusing.

"Then I shouldn't let anyone find out that I'm Linea Rivandel?"

"Yeah, so you'll wear something a bit more ordinary, and Lucian will play with us too."

“This will be fun!”

And so, Lucian and Linea spent the whole day wandering around and playing in the market, which was filled with a festive atmosphere.

And finally, when evening came, the game of hide-and-seek began in earnest.

The only difference is that it is a bloody game of hide-and-seek where lives are at stake.

"Phew..."

My fingertips trembled with tension.

Even though I know nothing will happen, if someone might get hurt.

And then, while the fireworks were still bursting.

Shhh!

A streak of red light shot up with a thin metallic sound.

Linea spotted it first and chattered away at Lucian.

"Look at that, Lucian! Have you ever seen flames like that?"

"No? It's the first time I've seen it."

A red beam of light rose up from the side close to the inner palace.

"But why does that light keep coming out near my palace? Is something wrong?"

As expected, Lucian wasn't a clueless kid either.

The child gradually began to have doubts.

And I, too, trembled faintly at that beam of light.

I called their names before the children noticed anything more.

"Linea and Lucian, the fireworks are winding down; shall we come inside?" 

"Yes!"

The children obediently approached me.

"Aren't you hungry?"

The children went around the market stalls today and bought and ate a huge amount of snacks.

So I hadn't had dinner yet.

I managed to smile at the children.

However, Linea, who was always by my side, had a look on her face as if she had noticed something strange.

"Mom?"

Linea reached out her hand toward me.

I gently knelt on one knee to meet the child's eye level.

"Huh? What's wrong, baby?"

"Mom, your expression looks strange..."

"Yes?"

“What’s going on?”

As expected, I couldn't fool Linea.

As Linea started to worry, even Lucian, who had been laughing cheerfully until then, came over with a worried look on his face.

"Marchioness, are you alright?"

“Yeah, it’s okay.”

Linea snuggled into my arms, perhaps out of concern.

And she patted my back with her small hand.

Lucian came into my view, watching Linea and me with a mixture of anxiety and envy.

"Lucian, do you want to come over here too?"

“Can I do that?”

"Of course! If Lucian is Linea's friend, then you're my kid, too."

Then, Lucian, who had been hesitating for a moment, also snuggled into my arms.

Checking on the children's safety somehow made me feel my nerves, which had been on edge, relax a little.

Even so, I couldn't feel at ease, so I turned my head to the side.

There were two wizards there.

They appeared to be earnestly communicating something using a magical communication tool that only they possessed.

It seemed like an ancient language I couldn't understand, presumably used by wizards, was being exchanged busily.

That's right.

The place we were in was a magic tower.

It was the tallest tower in the capital and one of the impregnable fortresses that were difficult to breach with any defenses.

After all, the Magic Tower would be much safer than the Imperial Palace, which is as vast as a small city and therefore not 100% secure.

And since it occupied high ground, it could clearly see the capital and was suitable for defense.

For various reasons, we tricked Lucian and Linea all day into playing here.

'The children probably thought they had been playing at the market all day.'

Even that was an illusion magic similar to Apricot Nest.

However, the fireworks were real since they saw them from the magic tower.

'Since teleportation into the Imperial Palace isn't possible in the first place, I hope we get news soon.'

The safety of not only Carcel and Isar but also Lucian's bodyguards was a concern.

Even if all preparations were thorough, the fact that the assassins entered the Imperial Palace in person shows they are not in their right minds.

It is virtually no different from a suicide squad act.

It was then.

"I have a message for the Marchioness."

The wizard approached me, glancing nervously at the children.

I nodded.

"Can you stay here for just a moment, kids?"

"Yes!"

"There are snacks, so eat them."

Still, perhaps because they seemed hungry, the children welcomed the snack.

And as I watched them amicably sharing snacks, I approached the wizards.

"Is everything okay? I just saw a red light..."

Today, Carcel and I promised one signal.

If everything is resolved successfully, give a green signal.

'I decided to shoot red if anything happened.'

My heart pounded with anxiety.

Just as I managed to compose myself, the wizard delivered the news.

"It is reported that there was one injured person and one fatality."


Previous                     Next


Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments