"It is your coming-of-age ceremony. Bee, there is no way it would proceed without the protagonist's permission."
Perhaps my expression was too raw, because he laughed silently.
"...You have told a preposterous lie. Erharc Hall? How do you intend to fix this?"
"It is not a lie. His Majesty indeed intended to hold your coming-of-age ceremony at Erharc Hall."
I hardened my expression. As expected, the Emperor planned to proceed with the wedding ceremony along with my coming-of-age ceremony. Was I to marry him again like this? At the sight of me, he let out a quiet sigh.
"Bee, as I said before, nothing proceeds without your permission."
The Crown Prince was looking at me with a serious face.
"I know you are reluctant about the coming-of-age ceremony. To be precise, it would be the wedding with me."
His golden eyes, staring at me, grew dark. I didn't think the Crown Prince wouldn't know. He was as perceptive as he was intelligent. He must have guessed my intentions just from my refusal to hold the coming-of-age ceremony.
Nothing would change just because he knew. I did not want to marry him. Instead of answering, I met his gaze straight on.
"So, how about we both yield? I will yield as much as you do."
"What would you give up in exchange for giving up the coming-of-age ceremony?"
"I will grant you what you wish."
His answer was unconventional. I looked at him suspiciously. His face showed no emotion whatsoever.
"Would you break off our engagement?"
"Breaking off the engagement is not possible."
His answer was quick and firm, as if he had anticipated my question.
"Didn't you say you would grant my wishes? I want to break off the engagement."
"You are well aware that breaking off the engagement is impossible, aren't you?"
Wrinkles formed between his eyebrows. It was evident that he was holding back his anger.
"Tell me what is possible, Bee. I will do my best to accommodate you."
I did not answer. I wanted only one thing. I needed nothing else. However, judging by the Crown Prince's reaction, it was clear that my words would not work at all. I hadn't particularly expected it, but I couldn't help feeling a sense of disappointment.
"Haa, what on earth are you!"
He tried to say something to me but closed his mouth. As if frustrated, he roughly ran his hand through his hair again. His silver hair moved back and forth with his touch.
"Alright. I admit defeat. I can't break off the engagement, but let's try postponing the wedding."
He spoke in a slightly suppressed voice. I instinctively knew that this was the best he could offer me.
I did not like the location where the coming-of-age ceremony was to be held, but since I had already spoken to the First Consort, it seemed difficult to change it. It was practically the same as the Crown Prince making the maximum concession within his capabilities. I decided to step back at this point. For now, the fact that it was not a wedding was enough.
"Understood. Let's each yield a step."
He stared intently at me. His face was complex and nuanced, as if he were facing a difficult problem.
"Do you have anything else to say?"
“You are such a strange person.”
"I think it's ordinary, though."
He laughed and shook his head at my answer. His reaction annoyed me. I hadn't revealed my nasty nature like I did back then, nor had I caused any trouble. I believe I haven't done anything unbecoming of a noble lady's dignity so far. Isn't that normal enough?
"Well, that isn't important right now. Bee, avoid the First Consort as much as possible. She is a woman like a venomous snake. It is too early for you to handle her."
"I am merely a Marquis's daughter. I have no power to refuse the First Consort's summons."
If the Empress or the First Consort summoned me like today, I had no way to refuse. He smirked at my answer.
"Oh dear, my fiancée is quite humble."
He came very close to me. He had a look on his face that said he found it amusing.
"You were quite skilled at teasing the Consort."
"Were you listening?"
"They say the most entertaining thing in the world is watching a fight. There is no need to spoil the mood beforehand."
He smiled and slowly leaned his face in as if to kiss me. The moment his face came right up to my nose, I stomped my right foot forcefully onto his. For today, I ordered high heels that I don't usually wear.
"Cough, I won't fall for the same trick again... Ugh!"
My shoes not only had high heels but also pointed toes. It was a design that reflected my requirements 100 percent.
The Crown Prince I knew had good athletic ability. The fact that I stepped on his foot without any resistance meant that he was going easy on me to some extent. Unlike the day I wore low heels, today the height of the heels was terrifying, high enough to twist my ankle.
I expected the Crown Prince to avoid me from the start. Moreover, I did not like the fact that he was letting me off the hook. I felt I would only be satisfied if I struck him in the back of the head with a surprise attack.
As I lowered my raised right foot and stepped on the ground, I kicked forward with my left foot. He didn't seem to expect me to use a feint, as he took a direct hit. He winced and clutched his shin.
"I do not use the same tactics either, Your Highness."
***
"You are so beautiful, older sister!"
Landt's eyes sparkled as he looked at me. I, who had been sitting with my hair being styled by the maids, beckoned to Landt. He scurried right up close to me. I grabbed one of Landt's sticky, mochi-like cheeks with my finger and stretched it.
"Did I tell you not to speak like a gigolo? Did I not? You listen immediately to everything else, so why can't you fix that?"
“S, sorry but..."
"What do you mean 'but'? Where on earth did you learn that cheesy way of speaking?"
The soft and elastic cheek stretched out as much as I applied force. Landt could not bring himself to shake me off and moved his head back and forth as my hand moved.
No matter how much I thought about it, Landt's way of speaking seemed to be a result of his environment. All of Landt's mentors were old. In my search for people outstanding in their respective fields, I unintentionally ended up gathering only elderly men on their deathbeds. Since the youngest of Landt's mentors was Sir Tilt, who had retired from active service long ago, it went without saying that the others were no different.
"Hehe, at this rate, young master's cheeks won't last long."
"Anasha, do you happen to know a young and capable teacher?"
"Well, I'll look into it."
Anasha approached me, smiling. She was holding a velvet box in her hand. She opened the lid of the box.
"It is a necklace called 'Morning at Dawn.' I thought it would be perfect for your coming-of-age ceremony."
Inside the box was a diamond necklace made of dozens of fingernail-sized diamonds connected together.
"It is a coming-of-age gift from me."
She personally put the necklace around my neck. The necklace matched the dress perfectly, as if it were part of a set.
"And this is a gift from Evan. He was really sad that he couldn't give it to you in person."
She put transparent red earrings on my ears. They were teardrop-shaped earrings made of red diamonds. They also harmonized with my dress and matched perfectly.
The dress was primarily white, with a tight bodice resembling a morning glory and a skirt that flared out from the waist. Instead of clearly revealing the curves of the figure, the bodice covered the area from the neck to the back of the hands with fabric and was decorated with fine lace and cream-colored pearls.
The designer stated that the skirt features a red hem that gradually fades towards the top, creating a gradient to completely white around the waist. The skirt is also decorated with small pearls to express purity and elegance.
When I announced that I would hold a coming-of-age ceremony, Anasha came to meet me accompanied by a few people. They were the key figures of Louisha.
Louisha was still only in the preparation stage and was not yet known to the public. Anasha was planning to make Louisha widely known starting from my coming-of-age ceremony. Although Louisha had created a buzz through a different method back then, there was no particular need to stick to that approach. I agreed to Anasha's plan.
From the dress I am wearing to my accessories, everything was a Louisha product. They did their utmost to style me. There wasn't a single part of me, from head to toe, that hadn't been touched by their hands.
"I knew it'd be a good match for Young Lady!"
Louisha's head designer finished all the work by adjusting the hem of my skirt. She looked at me with a pleased expression, as if she were very satisfied.
"I'm done styling my hair, too."
Sure enough, one of Louisha's designers took their hand off my head. Anasha smiled and closed the empty box.
“It’s perfect.”
It was perfect, just as Anasha said. Everything I am wearing right now was made by everyone connected to Louisha, pouring all their efforts into creating it exclusively for me to suit me. It would have been troublesome if it didn't fit perfectly.
"Since I am personally serving as a promotional tool, surely there will be a reward, right?"
"Oh my! Everything at the top is yours; you are being too greedy, Bjornne..."
"I am greedier than you might think. I might nag everyone, saying that even having all the money in the world wouldn't be enough. I don't know. Everyone, step up your game."
Anasha and Louisha's people giggled.
I reached out my hand toward Landt. Landt quickly grabbed my hand and helped me stand up. As Landt escorted me and tried to go outside, the child's face darkened rapidly. I ruffled Landt's navy blue hair with my fingers.
Landt, who was not yet an adult, could not attend my coming-of-age ceremony. The child seemed disappointed that he could not accompany me to the party.
"Just bear with it for four years. By then, even if you run away saying you don't want to, I'll catch you and make you escort me to the party venue."
Landt blushed and nodded. I stroked Landt's head.
"Am I really allowed to attend?"
Anasha looked at me with an anxious expression. Those who are not invited cannot attend a party. At that time, I did not invite her to my coming-of-age ceremony and my wedding. It was only natural. After all, I didn't even consider her a fellow noble. At that time, she could not attend my coming-of-age ceremony.
Support Novellate!

Comments
Post a Comment