"You have grown so much. Crown Prince, I am deeply moved by your appearance."
Unlike her proud tone, the First Consort's gaze toward the Crown Prince was fierce. The Crown Prince smiled at the First Consort while remaining in the position with his arms wrapped around my waist.
"It is all thanks to the First Consort."
A tense battle of wits ensued between the Crown Prince and the First Empress. Both glared at each other without blinking.
"You mean Duchess Garfield will be Lady Elliott's chaperone?"
"Yes, that is correct, First Consort."
The Duke of Garfield was the former Empress's family and, privately, the Crown Prince's maternal family. Unlike the Crown Prince's maternal grandfather, who was still active as a Duke on his behalf, his maternal grandmother had remained in seclusion, never showing her face in society after the former Empress's death. The only time I saw her face back then was on the day of my coming-of-age ceremony and my wedding to the Crown Prince.
"It seems she's changed her mind after staying secluded in the mansion all this time?"
"To her, isn't Young Lady someone who will privately become her granddaughter-in-law? It is only natural."
"That's a relief."
Unlike the faint smile on her face, the fan held in the First Consort's hand was bent as if it were about to break due to her grip strength.
"The coming-of-age ceremony will be held at the Elliot family, won't it? It is truly a pity that I won't be able to see the young lady's coming-of-age ceremony."
It was extremely rare for members of the royal family to attend parties held outside the imperial palace. It was because it could lead to the misunderstanding that they were very close to the host of the party. Even if it were the truth and not a misunderstanding, the royal family attending a noble family's party privately was the perfect subject for gossip.
In particular, the royal family members who held the central position of power were well aware of the impact their actions and words had. They exercised maximum restraint in their behavior to avoid becoming the subject of gossip for trivial reasons.
However, my case was a little different. Regardless of the reality, I was officially scheduled to marry the Crown Prince. It made sense for the members of the royal family, excluding the Emperor and Empress, to attend my coming-of-age ceremony, as I would soon become the Crown Princess and belong to the royal family. Refusing to attend such a ceremony was tantamount to saying that they would stand on the opposite side of me publicly.
"Surely you didn't know?"
The Crown Prince put on an exaggeratedly surprised expression, as if teasing the First Consort. One side of his red lips curved gently upward.
"His Majesty is already preparing a coming-of-age ceremony for my fiancée at Erharc Hall. It seems there will be no regrets about not being able to attend her coming-of-age ceremony."
"You mean Erharc Hall?"
The Empress let out a shrill sound as if she had heard something she shouldn't have. I was also so surprised that I couldn't even compose my expression and just stared at the Crown Prince.
Erharc Hall was the largest hall in the Imperial Palace and a venue opened only for national events, such as New Year's parties, founding parties, or royal weddings. At that time, I, too, held my coming-of-age ceremony and wedding at Erharc Hall. Just like the First Consort, I felt the urge to scream at a single remark the Crown Prince made.
"Erharc Hall for a mere Marquis's daughter's coming-of-age ceremony! Is that even remotely acceptable?"
The fan the First Consort was holding finally broke. Under her strong grip, the ribs forming the frame of the fan shattered and flew away.
The First Consort could not contain her anger and trembled, clenching her teeth. I, too, was just as unable to remain calm as she was. According to the Crown Prince, it meant that the Emperor was once again preparing my coming-of-age ceremony and wedding at the same time.
"A mere Marquis's daughter? Lady Elliot is my fiancée. She is set to become the Crown Princess. She is fully entitled to hold her coming-of-age ceremony there."
The Crown Prince also held his coming-of-age ceremony at Erharc Hall. As he said, it would not have been strange for me, who was to marry him, to have my coming-of-age ceremony there. The question was whether my ceremony was the only one being held there.
The Empress also seemed to share my thoughts. Otherwise, she wouldn't have gotten so worked up just because of the fact that my coming-of-age ceremony was being held at Erharc Hall.
"A party held without even the Empress, the head of the Inner Court, knowing? This is impossible. Is that so, Empress?"
The First Consort seemed to have regained her senses in that brief moment. Without taking her eyes off the Crown Prince, she spoke to the Empress. At the First Consort's sudden remark, the Empress merely gaped and rolled her eyes. It made sense for the Empress to host all the parties in the Inner Court. However, this was a party hosted under the direct supervision of the Emperor. There was no way for the Empress, who was merely a figurehead, to say anything.
"No, I asked if that was true!”
"Hah. But..."
The Empress teared up at the First Consort's shout. The First Consort was still glaring at the Crown Prince. The Empress fidgeted, looking back and forth between the Crown Prince and the First Consort.
"This is the doing of His Majesty the Emperor. No matter who you are, Her Majesty the Empress, you cannot go against his will. Is that not so, Her Majesty the Empress?"
"Y-yes, that is correct. Absolutely. The Crown Prince is right."
The Empress responded enthusiastically to the Crown Prince's gentle voice as if she had met a savior. The First Consort took her eyes off the Crown Prince and glared at the Empress, but the Empress responded by averting her gaze.
The Empress was powerless. Moreover, her family was dependent on the First Consort faction. The Empress had almost no chance of bearing a Prince. Even if she were to give birth to one, forming a new power base among the already grown Princes would be as difficult as plucking a star from the sky. For such an Empress to refuse the First Consort's words required great courage, even for her. Of course, that courage was borne because she feared the Emperor more than the First Consort.
"The Empress, the head of the Inner Court, says it is alright."
There was clearly a hint of mockery in the Crown Prince's tone. The First Consort bit her lip. Her lips, which had been so nicely positioned, were hideously distorted.
"This is a party personally hosted by His Majesty the Emperor with the consent of Her Majesty the Empress. An act of disloyalty. Please do not commit this, Your Highness the Empress."
The Crown Prince walked past the First Consort with his arm around my waist and left the reception room.
As he left the Empress, the smile vanished from the Crown Prince's face in an instant. As soon as he stepped out of the Empress's reception room, he lifted me up and held me in his arms. The palace maids waiting outside the door blushed and screamed at the sight of us. I struggled to break free from him, but his strong arms gripped my body tightly.
"Stay right there until you get out of here."
He seemed thoroughly angry about something. It was none other than the Empress’s palace, where the First Consort resided. I could not possibly fight him in a place with so many eyes and ears watching us.
I stopped struggling and covered my face with both hands. I had never been held by a man like this in front of others before. Amidst the stinging stares, the princess carry was more embarrassing. He strode quickly out of the Empress's palace on his long legs.
The Crown Prince let me down only after arriving at his palace—specifically, deep inside the rear garden. He dismissed all the attendants and court ladies who were waiting nearby. Only the two of us remained in the wide-open space.
I missed the timing to slap his cheek while trying to compose my flushed face. He sighed and roughly ran his hand through his hair. His always neat silver hair was disheveled by his rough touch.
"Why on earth did you come into the palace!"
"... Yes?"
At his sudden shout, I had no choice but to stupidly ask back. As if frustrated, he unbuttoned the clothes that had been neatly fastened up to his neck. It was the first time I had seen the Crown Prince so disheveled, both then and now.
"Didn't you receive my message telling you not to come?"
“I didn’t receive it.”
I frowned and shook my head. I hadn't received any contact from him. Don't come to the palace.
If I had received that message in advance, there would have been no reason for me to go out of my way to come all the way here.
"Shit!"
At my answer, he muttered a low curse, as if something displeased him. He was just like a commoner.
I widened my eyes at his appearance. He was not the Crown Prince as usual, who always treated people with refined manners and a noble tone. Standing before me, he looked as if a completely different person had merely donned the shell of the Crown Prince.
"Is there a problem?"
"It seems the First Consort has started to make a move."
"What do you mean by moving?"
He just stared at me without answering my question. Keeping his gaze fixed on me, he told me to calm down.
He breathed out evenly, as if sitting down.
He was a man who had grown up as the Crown Prince his entire life, from birth until now. As the future Emperor, he had learned how to control his emotions and manipulate others according to his intentions. The Crown Prince was more adept than anyone at restraining his own feelings. In an instant, he returned to the face of the Crown Prince.
"Could you please explain it to me in a way I can understand?"
"It means someone interfered with my communication with you."
"Are you saying that someone is the First Consort?"
"Few people know that I am leaving the palace today."
I had forgotten, startled by his sudden appearance, but the attendant at the Empress's palace had clearly said that the Crown Prince was not at the palace today. I looked at him anew. The fact that he is here when he had been away from the palace means that he rushed to me as soon as he heard the news that I had entered.
Why did he come to me? Is it because he is worried about me suffering at the hands of the First Consort? Or is it because I am getting entangled with her?
Was it because he was worried? I couldn't even guess what his intention was.
"Since things have come to this, there is nothing we can do. Bee, you will have to yield."
"What are you asking me to concede?"
“Your coming-of-age ceremony.”
I frowned. I couldn't understand why my coming-of-age ceremony was being brought up out of the blue in this situation.
"How can you ask me to give up my coming-of-age ceremony?"
"It means I intend to hold your coming-of-age ceremony."
The Crown Prince's words didn't add up. He had clearly told the First Consort that the Emperor was proceeding with preparations for my coming-of-age ceremony. Yet now he was telling me that he had to hold the ceremony. It wasn't that I had absolutely no idea what was going on, but it wasn't the kind of behavior expected from a Crown Prince who had walked the straight path to the point of appearing rigid.
He opened his mouth with a sense of disbelief.
"Surely, you weren't lying about what you said to the First Consort, were you?"
Support Novellate!

Comments
Post a Comment