I clung to her, touching her white cheeks with my fingertips, which had been pressed down from being held in Carcel's arms.
Then Linea opened her mouth and answered.
"I am happy that my wish came true today."
"Did you make a wish like that today?"
"I prayed that I could become family with my mom and the Marquis."
A birthday party where I am congratulated by people for the first time.
The wish the child made in front of the flame, signaling the beginning of a new life, as if born anew, was 'family'.
Linea said with a happy smile.
"They say birthday wishes always come true, and it seems it's really true!"
Although her eyes were watery, there was no longer any sadness in Linea's eyes.
I could see only pure happiness in those eyes, and it felt like I would become happy too.
I hugged Linea tightly once again.
I made up my mind that I would make this small, lovely child, who still has a long way to go to grow, happy, even if it meant risking my whole self.
Until the day my life ends.
***
"...The giant phoenix said, 'I will never forget the warmth you showed me.'"
I read a fairy tale book to Linea, even changing my voice like a storyteller.
“So Leah..."
At the sound of someone sleeping soundly that I suddenly heard, I glanced at Linea.
'Sleep!'
You played all day and even cried, so there's no way you wouldn't be tired.
The child, who had been looking at the fairy tale book received as a gift and listening with great interest just moments ago, suddenly fell into a deep sleep like a wind-up doll.
It was cute, so I chuckled softly while holding my breath as I pulled myself out of bed.
After pulling the blanket back up to Linea's neck and patting her, I kissed her forehead, and the child stirred slightly.
'I'm going to wake up.'
The moment I hurriedly stepped back, quietly opened the door, and stepped out.
"Kya... Ugh."
I swallowed the scream that was about to burst out because of Carcel standing right in front of me.
Carcel smiled silently, only his eyebrows curving.
And then he reached out his hand to me.
I let out a snort of laughter and took Carcel's hand.
It didn't take long to get to the bedroom. It was only after closing the bedroom door that I was able to speak.
"Carcel! Why were you waiting today? I thought my heart was going to stop!"
"Just... because I missed Asha?"
Carcel smiled gently as usual.
Seeing that, I made a suggestion to him.
"Next time, have Carcel come in too and put Linea to sleep."
“Is that okay?”
"You're a father legally now, so is there anything you can't do?"
Carcel had been keeping his distance, perhaps out of concern that Linea might be afraid of him.
"In that case, starting tomorrow, I would like to ask your daughter and have her sleep with me."
“But.”
As I looked up at Carcel, he had a nervous look on his face.
I asked, narrowing my eyes.
"How long are you going to call Linea your daughter?"
"I was worried that calling her name might make her feel unfamiliar since she isn't used to it yet."
"Linea is also a very considerate person, so if you keep your distance like that, you won't be able to become close quickly. Once you get to know each other to some extent...Since I lost, call her Linea."
Even in the original work, Linea was a child who prioritized the other person's perspective so much that it took time for her to get comfortable.
Now that trust has been built, it would be better for Carcel to be the first to drastically close the distance.
"I'm not used to it yet."
"The beginning is always the hard part, but once you start, things go much faster than you'd expect."
I added mischievously.
"Carcel, do you remember when we started calling each other by our names?"
"Isn't that the first time I ate at a restaurant with Asha?"
"Honestly, I thought it was a ploy back then, but haven't we definitely gotten closer quickly since then?"
At that question, Carcel gently stroked my hand with his thumb.
“I did.”
His voice, lowered, was sticky.
The way Carcel looked down at me seemed somehow like he was admiring it.
"Car...cel?"
"Ah. Asha. Come to think of it, I have something to give Linea tomorrow."
As if noticing my gaze, he changed the subject.
Only then did I nod, feeling a little relieved.
“What is it?”
"She doesn't have an account, do you? I've prepared an allowance ledger and a bankbook."
"Were you serious about giving her allowance back then? I could have given it to her myself."
"Didn't Asha say the same thing? That I'm Linea's father."
He took my hand and led me to the table.
"This is her first allowance for this week. I asked around, and they said this is the going rate for allowance these days."
I lifted the passbook with a suspicious look on my face.
"Ca, Carcel! What is this?"
“It’s pocket money.”
"What on earth is this ridiculous amount I see?"
"I said this is the average."
Carcel was shameless.
"Have you heard of the trap of averages? How many people are there around you anyway!"
"Honestly, isn't about 100 gold okay?"
You're saying you'll give your child about 10 million Korean won every week?
I shook my head.
"You shouldn't give her too much! For one thing, I feel bad, and Linea needs to learn some financial sense."
"I, the father, am giving my daughter an allowance, so why should Asha, the mother, feel sorry?"
Carcel has now retaliated with the words I said.
His eyebrows curved gently.
"Didn't Asha say that? That we are family now. And that a married couple is an economic partnership."
"Th-that's true, but didn't you say it was a contract? I was wondering if you're pushing yourself too hard."
“I’m sad.”
What, sad?
I opened my eyes wide because it didn't seem like something Carcel would say out loud of his own accord.
However, there was a look of genuine disappointment in his eyes as he stood before the table.
I bit my lip several times at the look that seemed to be secretly resentful.
"Ah, no, uh, what is there to be upset about? Carcel said it was a contract marriage."
"At one time, you called me family and raised expectations, but now, behind the name of a contract, it feels like I'm pushing the relationship away and drawing a line."
"No, that can't be true!"
Carcel stuck to me as I was shouting like that.
"Asha, do you really only intend to take my body and mind?"
"Yes?!"
This person!
Before I knew it, Carcel let go of my hand, turned his head to the side, pretended to be frail, and made a sad face.
I shook my head and vehemently denied it.
"No, and besides, when did I ever take Carcel's body in the first place!"
"You may take it now if you wish."
He harped on about how to take him, as if he were a single flower.
"...Carcel. You are too big to take."
"Anyway, if you intend to use me and then throw me away, I would be very disappointed."
"Where on earth did this story start? Allowance?"
"Yes. Since you wouldn't even let me, her father, give her this much allowance, I told Asha that it was okay for you to take my body."
I answered, clutching my throbbing head.
"Okay. I don't think trying to stop you will work anyway."
Honestly, it was incredibly burdensome, but when it actually came down to it, I had nothing to say in rebuttal to Carcel.
To think that we call him family in front of the child, yet behind her back refuse, saying it is burdensome for Carcel to give Linea a huge sum of money.
'I don't think I'll divorce Carcel anyway.'
Now that the major matters were settling down, my feelings for Carcel were also surfacing.
"Asha, and I have one more thing to show you."
"Surely not again..."
He shook his head at my suspicious gaze.
"It's not like that; it's a list of mining companies. I'd like to pay for everything myself, but I know Asha doesn't like that kind of thing."
“I’m glad.”
"No matter which of these you choose, they will manage just fine on their own."
I nodded because Carcel had never been wrong since the last time.
"I'll decide after seeing it tomorrow. I'm tired too, having hosted an event all day today."
"I know being the lady of the house isn't easy. Being a mother is one thing, but on top of that, Asha has to work."
Carcel told me.
"I think it's amazing that Asha can handle all those different roles."
"It's nothing special."
"That is amazing. Asha is not only taking care of her own affairs but also looking after others."
At those words, I felt embarrassed for no reason.
“Thank you.”
“But Asha.”
Carcel looked at me and opened his mouth.
"Don't try too hard. You are already perfect enough, even to the point of being excessive."
"Oh, come on. I only had a hard time today."
"From now on, you don't have to hold social events unless they are related to Linea. I've always been far removed from socializing. Because I'm a distant person.”
Carcel continued speaking calmly.
"Asha, you can do whatever you want. Just give me everything you don't want to do."
"Who can live like that?"
He smirked as if he had heard something funny.
"Asha can do anything by my side."
For some reason, it seemed like the phrase 'by my side' was being particularly emphasized.
Finally, he whispered softly to me.
"So... Asha. Never, ever think about leaving my side."
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment