WMHMS - Chapter 21




I covered my head with both hands and struggled to recall the memory of yesterday.

'I remember everything, but I can't remember if I got out of the carriage and walked on my own two feet!'

I must not let my mother-in-law find out that I am acquainted with Carcel yet.

If I'm going to meet a stranger, they'll probably think it's a good thing and try to kick me out, telling me to just go live at their house.

But nothing has been confirmed yet, so what will Linea do if I get kicked out of this house?

I turned my head to look at the side table and saw a bouquet of roses.

I took out the card stuck in the center of the bouquet and unfolded it.

<I prepared this because Asha and pink roses go well together. I will be tending to the rose garden amidst the spring light of the Marquis's mansion, waiting only for the day Asha contacts me.>

That's right. Carcel told me yesterday to come take a look at the new house.

I wasn't sure if it would actually become our newlywed home, but since I had to modify the contract through a lawyer, I had to meet him again anyway.

For some reason, I felt that it was typical of Carcel to keep creating reasons for us to meet.

I got up.

Looking at the old clock in the room, it was already 10 o'clock.

'I overslept!'

My heart sank.

I wondered if Linea had had a meal.

Suddenly feeling worried, I went into the adjacent bathroom and washed lightly with cold water.

"Come to think of it, since it's a date, should I buy a few more outfits?"

When I went to change my clothes, the wardrobe did.

I didn't really need to meet anyone before, so I didn't have a reason to.

"Still, I have to take Linea to social events and go on dates with Carcel, so should I buy just two more outfits?"

I pondered as I looked at my reflection in the mirror.

Since he is a sensitive man, he will probably notice that it is new clothes.

The dress I was wearing before was so worn out that anyone with a keen eye couldn't possibly miss it.

'Do I look like I'm trying too hard to make a good impression?'

Suddenly feeling embarrassed, I averted my gaze.

'I wonder why he likes me.'

Asha Delmore was not objectively a great beauty.

She did look gentle and elegant.

'Carcel might have my taste.'

But he said he didn't like Asha before I possessed her, right?

So, he fell in love at first sight with the me after I was possessed...

'Ah'

As soon as that thought crossed my mind, my lips relaxed.

Suddenly, Carcel from last night began to rise in billowing clouds.

His black hair flowed softly over his forehead, his red eyes flared up like sparks, and his sturdy physique combined with a face as threatening and elegant as a wild beast...

'He used to be handsome.'

To think that a man like that has never met anyone else, just like me.

I was out of breath. My heart was pounding so hard it was embarrassing, so I ended up shaking my head vigorously.

After shaking off the lingering image of him that seemed to be right before my eyes, I took a deep breath.

"Let's feed Linea first!"

I cautiously opened the door with a creak and looked around, but there was no one in the hallway.

Fortunately, it seems I walked in on my own last night.

If I had even the slightest flaw, my mother-in-law and the maids would have pounced on me long ago as if they had been waiting for it.

I knocked on the next door and called out to Linea.

“Are you awake?”

Fortunately, Linea was in the room. I handed an apple to Linea as she opened the door and came out.

"I'm sorry. I must have been tired from going to an appointment yesterday because I passed out and just woke up." 

"Are you feeling okay?"

Linea asked me, full of worry.

Perhaps my cheek looked red, because she even stood on tiptoe and held out her palm to me!

Then, as if coming to her senses, she quickly stepped back.

“S-sorry.”

"Why? Aren't you worried that I might have a fever?"

Linea nodded.

I gently took Linea's fidgeting hand. Then I leaned down and lightly tapped Linea's hand against my cheek.

“Do you have a lot of work to do?”

"...Just a little.”

"I wouldn't have known if it weren't for Linea. I need to take good care of myself today."

"Shouldn't you be resting?"

Linea asked, measuring the temperature of my cheek with a serious expression.

"No. I slept soundly and woke up feeling great—I don't have any aches or pains. Anyway, Linea, did you eat?"

"Yes. I had a simple sandwich."

"Well done. Great job!"

I guess I'm just a Korean after all.

I was proud of her just for making sure to eat her meals, so I patted her on the back and praised her.

"Linea, this is the time when you need to grow big and strong, so eat plenty." 

"Yes."

Linea nodded nicely at my words.

I let go of Linea's hand. Then the child neatly gathered her hands again and looked up at me intently.

I asked first, seeing those gentle eyes that seemed to have something to say.

"Why? Is there something you want to do?"

"I know it might be a hassle, but could you possibly go to Pecia Square with me today...?"

It was obvious how much she had agonized over saying just that one word.

"Linea said she wanted to go first, so it’s not a hassle at all. Do you want to go to the market held there?"

"Yes."

A large market is currently being held in Piazza Pecia in the Lombardy district amidst flowers in full bloom.

It was an event large enough to be practically a festival, so it was worth wanting to visit at least once.

"Then, shall we get dressed and go out?"

"Yes!"

"Would you like to pick out a dress Linea wants to wear today?"

Linea, who had been staring for a long time into the closet packed with more than ten dresses, finally chose a light yellow dress.

‘It’s like a beep.’

Because she was blonde, she looked more like a chick.

Today, I tied her hair into a bun and put pins on both sides, which doubled her cuteness.

"Oh, so pretty! Let's go now!"

I headed to the Lombardy district with Linea, who had become much more accustomed to going out holding my hand.

'Why on earth did she want to come here today?'

I chuckled to myself.

“Wow.”

As Linea looked around in wonder, a sight she had never seen before was reflected in her eyes.

I hoped that the new experiences reflected in the child's eyes would be valuable.

"Shall we go over there? It's crowded, so be careful."

"Yes!"

At the sound of her voice becoming more energetic than before, I gripped Linea's hand even tighter.

Linea was half-dazed in the crowd, looking at the stall next to her.

"Don't let go of my hand."

"C-can't you let go for just a moment?"

Desperation was reflected in Linea's eyes as she looked down.

'Is there anything you want to buy?'

I readily nodded.

Instead, I stuck close behind Linea and made sure not to bump into people.

Linea cautiously glanced at me and approached a stall.

'Huh?'

It was an item I hadn't expected at all.

"Beads? Did you want to try making jewelry?"

"... Yes."

Judging by the brief silence that lingered before the answer, it seemed that she did not intend to make the jewelry herself.

However, seeing the beads that certainly emitted a dazzling light, I thought the children would be tempted.

'In the original work, there wasn't a hobby like making jewelry.'

However, since not everything about Linea in the original work was mentioned, this might be a newly developed preference.

Maybe her peers told her about this when she went to the last tea party.

“Please give it to me like this.”

While I was waiting with such thoughts, Linea had already picked out a bead and handed it to the merchant.

"It's 3 Bronze."

“Here.”

Linea emptied her entire fortune from a crumpled chick coin purse she had brought at some point and handed it over.

No, I was going to buy it for you!

I said to Linea in surprise.

"I could have bought it for you, so why did you buy it?"

"I want to buy it."

Linea, holding the wrapped beads close to her chest, glanced at me cautiously.

'To think Linea bought beads with her entire fortune of 3 bronze.'

I shook my head, feeling a bit sorry that her entire fortune was only 3 bronze, considering she is a 10-year-old at an age where she has many things she wants to buy.

"No, living is fine, but Linea, do you usually get an allowance?"

"Sometimes Uncle gives it to me."

"Should I give you some allowance too? Come to think of it, I didn't think to give Linea some allowance."

"No!"

Suddenly, Linea's voice grew louder.

“I have a lot of money!”

"Uh... uh."

I just saw that she emptied her wallet completely and pulled out 3 Bronze...

However, at the desperate words of the child, I eventually had no choice but to back down.

"It would be fun to make pretty jewelry, wouldn't it?"

"I'm sorry for shouting."

"No. Come to think of it, picking things out and paying for them yourself is an experience worth trying."

It is something that must be taught for educational purposes, so it is fortunate that you already know it.

That moment, as I walked away with Linea again, thinking that.

Puck!

A small figure wearing a cloak appeared unexpectedly and bumped roughly into Linea.

"Are you okay?!"

I bent down and helped Linnea up first.

After dropping the beads she was holding, Linea fell on her bottom.

And the child who had bumped into her was also rolling on the floor.


Previous                Next


Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments