WMHMS - Chapter 19






"Ah. And regarding the land sale contract, I will handle it directly with the Attorney next time and ensure my name is excluded. We can do it on a date of your choice."

I was actually planning to discuss the contract with him as well.

I nodded.

"Thank you. Anyway, I needed a husband with higher wealth and legal status than a Count..."

"So, were you trying to propose a contract marriage to me?"

I nodded at him.

"I looked it up and found that there are only two unmarried men with titles higher than the Counts: the Marquis of Rivandel and the Duke of Lakan."

At my words, Carcel seemed to avert his gaze from me for a moment.

I said to him as if it were only natural.

"But frankly speaking, Carcel might not even need to marry me, right?"

Of course, I also clearly remember that Carcel said he wouldn't marry anyone he didn't truly love.

And the fact that the person he likes right now is me.

But would I try to do that knowing that I don't feel the same way yet?

Just as I was about to continue speaking, Carcel answered hastily.

“It is very necessary.”

"Yes?"

"Marriage to Asha is necessary."

"Yes, yes. Please listen to more for now."

That’s why I felt burdened bringing up the contract marriage.

"According to the original plan, I intended to fulfill Carcel's needs as much as I could, and make a deal with you by asking you to help me register Linea on my family register."

"Have you changed now?"

"The more I talked to Carcel, the more I felt that it wasn't something to do to someone sincere with me."

It is Carcel, who looks like a Doberman but actually seems to be wagging his tail vigorously like a Golden Retriever.

I felt that it was not right for me to treat his feelings so carelessly.

Of course, Carcel's opinion was different.

"I’m fine with that kind of contract. If Asha marries me."

"It’s hard for me to do that without a conscience. Anyway, so I gave it some thought."

If you are uncomfortable using him without emotion, isn't it enough to just resolve the cause?

I gave a clear answer.

"I just need to fall in love again enough to repay Carcel's feelings, right?"

"Ah..."

"Let's go on just three proper dates!"

It is said that even on a blind date, the decision of whether a man and woman will date is made after three tries.

Ever since I realized that Carcel was not as dangerous as he looked, I had opened my heart to him to some extent.

However, Carcel asked an unexpected question.

"What if Asha doesn't feel any feelings for me even after three dates?"

"Then I’ll have to find another way. Whether I find someone else to help besides Carcel, or solve it on my own without looking for anyone else."

It was also possible to stay at the Delmore estate a little longer and, once I became an anonymous tycoon, elope with only Linea.

I could ask the Guild Master to create a new identity for me, leave the Empire, and start a new life in a completely different country.

Of course, that comes with the premise that Linea wants it, though.

However, I also honestly felt that this was somewhat illegal and burdensome.

So I quietly added.

"Of course, I don't think that will happen."

"Honestly... I'm not confident I can win Asha's heart. I don't know how to seduce anyone." 

"Huh?"

Then what was all that tailing up until now?

I was dumbfounded, so I stared at him with a look of disbelief.

Then Carcel continued speaking, wearing a sharp sneer on his lips once again, just as he had on the day we first met.

"Until now, I have never received any affection from any woman other than Asha. I suppose it is because I lack charm as a man."

I was bewildered that an incredibly handsome man, even though he had a dangerous-looking impression, made such a low-self-esteem remark.

"Where and how should I even begin to refute those words?" Carcel muttered self-deprecatingly as I blinked in disbelief.

"It's not like I'm particularly handsome, nor am I eloquent; the only thing I can boast about is my wealth..."

"Hey, Carcel?"

I raised my index finger to stop him from continuing his nonsensical remarks.

Frowning, I cautiously sounded him out.

"Are you trying to joke right now?"

"Yes?"

"It's just humility out of politeness, right?"

Surely you don't firmly believe that you have no charm, do you?

However, Carcel frowned slightly. He still seemed bewildered.

In the end, I shouted at him.

"Carcel, you may look scary, but you're handsome! Incredibly handsome, in fact!"

He heard my words and slowly closed and opened his eyes.

"You're so handsome that at first I thought you were a con artist relying only on your looks to swindle women, so don't think like that."

Upon hearing those words, Carcel looked at me. His gaze clung to my face.

I snapped at the ridiculous thing without realizing it and yelled, but now that I've said it, I wonder if I went too far.

With the remaining few pieces taken, my cheek also heated up slightly.

So I added something else belatedly.

"Of course... A handsome face isn't everything, though."

"Then, would I be Asha's ideal type?"

Carcel tested me.

He's my ideal type.

I met the eyes of Carcel, who was sitting across from me, tilting his head slightly and waiting for an answer.

I wanted to give a plausible answer, but I couldn't tell him something that wasn't true.

"Hmm. Honestly, I haven't really thought about it. Life is so busy that I've never even liked anyone."

“Is that so?”

"Ah, there is just one thing I wish wasn't this!"

I blurted out a thought that suddenly came to mind.

"As long as he isn't a scary man like Duke Lakan."

"As long as he isn't a scary man like Duke Lakan... Yes?"

He continued speaking as if following my lead in empathy, then cast a puzzled look and asked, "Huh?"

With a serious face, I nodded to him.

"Really. It would be nice if he were handsome, but it doesn't matter if he isn't; it would be even better if our personalities and values matched well."

"No, no, before that, why are you saying that Duke Lakan is absolutely out of the question?" 

"Yes."

Carcel asked somewhat impatiently.

I answered as if it were obvious.

"Isn't it because he is a terrifying man who can take human lives like swatting flies and never reveals his true identity?"

He was one of the only two men who met my requirements, but that was also the reason I never considered him a marriage candidate.

"...It might be prejudice, doesn’t it?"

Carcel asked me with a strangely restless attitude.

"Well, do you know him?"

For a moment, I almost said, "But the names are the same," but I kept my mouth shut tight, afraid it would give the impression that I knew about Duke Lakan.

“That can’t be right.”

"Right? You weren't offended by what I said because you have a personal relationship with Duke Lakan, were you?"

Carcel seemed to break out in a cold sweat, but then seemed to regain some sense of stability.

“I don’t know anyone like that.”

Carcel lowered his gaze strangely and answered firmly.

I nodded with a look that said, "I knew it."

"It’s such intense mysticism that Carcel couldn’t possibly know."

"I guess... that's kind of the case."

“Then Carcel.”

When I called his name, Carcel raised his gaze toward me again.

I smiled slightly at him and asked.

"How about we go on three more dates, including today, and get married if we develop feelings for each other?"

I thought you would ask for some time to think.

He simply conveyed his intentions to me in a low, deep voice.

"It doesn't matter if it's not number 3; I just hope that someday Asha comes to like me."

But I don't think you need to worry about that.

I felt embarrassed saying this, so I lightly touched my lips.

"I've already started to take an interest in Carcel."

First caution, then suspicion, and now even curiosity.

Now that I had confirmed he was a somewhat trustworthy person, it seemed hard not to like him.

Instead of answering me, Carcel bit his lip tightly.

Ah. Again.

'It wasn't just the cheek that was red; his neck was burning up with heat.'

Is that why his face was all red earlier?

'Is it because he's conscious of me since I carelessly stroked his cheek?'

As that thought crossed my mind, it felt as if my heart rate was suddenly rising rapidly as well.

For some reason, the room became stiflingly hot.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

Buy Me A Coffee

Comments

  1. He is actually so cute omg😂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for translating this novel. I will wait for new chapters ❤️

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment