KTBYM- Chapter 19






'Karen? Why on earth is Karen already?'

I considered pretending not to notice for a moment. After all, Karen wouldn't be sneaking around the shop searching stealthily. However, the problem was what would happen afterward. What if Karen, unable to find me, were to contact Eon? If he were to step in, neither Eaton, Tara, nor I would be safe.

"Miss!"

It was a useless worry. Karen, having spotted me, waved her hand and approached me as if she were incredibly happy to see me.

“Mark my words.”

Leaving only those brief words behind, I quickly picked up the mandrake root and left the store.

“Did you buy some herbs?”

"Yeah. I bought everything. Let's go."

"Is that just one root?"

Hearing that, the mandrake in my hand looked quite shabby.

"The others haven't dried properly yet."

"Oh my? That can't be right. I'll find you something good!"

Karen showed unnecessary enthusiasm. I couldn't tell if she was doing it to genuinely help me or if she was doing it because she suspected me. I interrupted her and changed the subject.

"What about Halon minerals rather than that?"

"I heard that they ran out of Halon, of all things. I'm sorry."

There was no sign of apology or pity on Karen's face as she said that.

“That common mineral?”

"Yes. I had bad luck."

'I don't know if you're just unlucky or if you're lying.'

However, since Karen had already returned early, arguing about the truth was pointless. I simply had to consider myself lucky to have distracted Karen from Eaton. It was when I was leading Karen, suggesting we visit the general store. The problem, however, was caused by an unexpected party.

"Are you just leaving?"

Eaton called my name along with the ringing of the doorbell. When I turned around reflexively, the look on Eaton's face was clearly that of someone whose troubles had arisen. Sure enough, Karen approached him, showing interest.

"Oh my, handsome gentleman. Is something wrong?"

Her attitude seemed quite friendly. As a maid of the Magic Tower, she must have frequented the herbalist to buy alchemy ingredients. It was only natural that she was acquainted with Eaton.

"You look very unwell."

Eaton was likely more familiar with Karen than with me. Worried that he might say something useless, I frowned and shook my head from behind Karen.

"Uh, is that so? I overexerted myself because of work at the shop..."

Fortunately, Eaton understood my signal and made up an excuse. However, it was no use shaking off Karen once she had taken her prey.

"Oh my. I should have brought a bottle of vitality potion. It’s a shame you look this tired, surrounded by herbs."

Karen stepped inside the shop and looked back at Eaton.

"It’s exactly like the time your daughter went missing."

The low voice was speaking to Eaton, but her eyes were fixed on me. Sweat dripped from my tightly clenched fist.

"There is no way you would have read about your missing daughter again. Could it be that she contacted you?"

I stepped forward, pushing past the flustered Eaton.

"That is rude to say."

"Is it rude? I'm just asking because I'm worried about you, Mr. Eaton."

Saying that, Karen picked up the scale that had fallen to the floor and placed it on the shelf. She was truly nonchalant, even though she knew who the culprit was that had kidnapped 'Mr. Eaton's daughter.'

"N-no way. If that were the case, would I be here? I would have closed the shop immediately and rushed over there."

Fortunately, Eaton was following my instructions to keep Tara's letter a secret. The problem was his acting skills. His anxiously trembling eyes and the sweat trickling down his forehead told me he was lying.

"Is that so? But perhaps your daughter is in a place where she cannot meet you right now, so she sent a letter or something..."

Karen's gaze turned to the paper sticking slightly out of Eaton's pocket. Noticing this, Eaton quickly shoved his hand back in.

"If it were a place that received, or rather, a place that could have sent, wouldn't I have sent it long ago, long ago?"

"What are you doing? Mr. Eaton is uncomfortable."

I grabbed Karen's arm, but she slightly twisted her shoulder and lightly shook my hand away. Then she reached for Eaton's pocket.

"Then what is this? To me, it looks just like a letter sent to your daughter..."

"Karen, stop it!"

Her hand stopped in mid-air as she turned to look at me. The mad green eyes I had seen a few days ago were flashing.

'So you're saying the commanding tone bothered you?'

The blades that had been sitting naturally in the medicine shop felt dangerous. The cleaver in Karen's hand looked as though it would slice off a human head rather than herbs.

"Stop bothering him and let's get out of here."

"Are you giving me an order right now?"

"You're a maid, aren't you? Isn't it only natural to obey orders?"

"So you're saying you just gave me an order?"

Thud. A sickle caught Karen's toes. Karen, who was about to just walk past, realized it was a sickle and bent down with an indifferent look.

At my gesture for him to get out of the way, Eaton scrambled up the stairs to the second floor. The thumping of his footsteps was deafening, but fortunately, Karen paid no attention to that direction.

"It's dangerous to have a sickle in a place like this. Someone passing by could get hurt if things go wrong."

Karen insisted on holding up a sickle and asked for my opinion.

“Is that so, Miss?”

"Right, I see."

I found myself backing away without realizing it. It was different from when I was attacked by Marilyn. If I ran outside, I could blend in with the crowd and avoid Karen's attack.

'Then what about Mr. Eaton? And Tara's letter?'

Conversely, this time, unlike before, there was something I had to protect. While I hesitated, Karen, holding a scythe, was getting closer and closer. Now I had to decide whether to run outside or stop Karen here.

"Miss? Miss!"

A high, cheerful voice drew attention. Someone suddenly cut between Karen and me.

"May?"

"That's right, miss. It's Mary! I never expected to meet you here."

The savior who embraced me was none other than Mary.

"Oh my goodness, I'm so glad to see you."

Mary must have seen only me. Otherwise, she would have been shocked to see Karen holding a scythe and radiating killing intent.

In the meantime, Karen pushed the sickle she was holding to one side.

"What are you doing here? Did you come to buy medicinal herbs?"

"Yeah, I came out to buy the necessary ingredients myself."

"Oh my, oh my, young lady, are you going out now too?"

I had refrained from going out to avoid Eon, so naturally, there was no longer any need to do so. On the contrary, I was in a situation where I needed to go out frequently to create opportunities to escape. Of course, Mary, who had no way of knowing the circumstances, seemed to think that my madness had been completely cured.

"How is the Magic Tower? Is it comfortable?"

"It's good. The Tower Master treats me well, and the maids are diligent and kind."

I answered while looking at Karen over her shoulder.

"Karen, especially over here, is helping me a lot."

"Oh my, thank you. Please take good care of my young lady."

At Mary's polite greeting, Karen also put on the mask of a diligent maid.

"My name is Karen. Nice to meet you."

"Right, instead of doing this here, shall we go to a cafe for a bit?"

I led the two of them out of the shop. I knew very well that Mary, who was obviously out on an errand, wouldn't have time to stop by a cafe. I just wanted to get Karen away from the herbalist as quickly as possible.

"I'm sorry. I thought the head maid would be timing."

"It looks like the head maid still has a terrible temper. Mary is having a hard time."

"No. A maid going to a cafe during working hours—that is a luxury."

"It's such a shame to part ways like this."

I buried my head in Mary's shoulder, pretending to hug her again as a farewell. Then I whispered quickly.

"Mary, don't ask anything, just give this letter to Mr. Eaton."

At the same time, I dropped the letter into Mary's shopping basket. For a moment, Mary's eyes widened in surprise, but she was a maid who had been with me for several years. She likely had many questions she wanted to ask, but I simply kept my mouth shut and signaled that I understood.

"Watch out. A wagon is passing by."

At Karen's words, I moved away from Mary. But there was no sign of a wagon.

"It's going that way, not this way."

Karen grinned and pointed to a spot so far away it was invisible. It seemed she just wanted to separate Mary and me.

“Then Mary.”

I asked her for the letter with a glance.

"Don't you have something else to say?"

Karen interrupted again, as if she had sensed something was wrong.

"I’d like to chat, but we’re both busy right now. Would it be okay if Mary came to the Magic Tower later?"

"Of course. The Magic Tower is a space open to everyone. Guests often visit, don't they?"

I nodded as if I understood, but I had absolutely no desire to call Mary to that murderer's hideout.

Then, waving my hand at Mary, I shouted.

"Mary, make sure you finish every single errand meticulously before you go inside!"

I just hoped that Mary understood my intentions.


Previous                Next



Comments