That night, instead of sleeping, I ruminated on Eon's face all night long. His pale complexion and attitude of pretending to be a good person contrasted with his chilling gaze and the mockery lingering on his lips.
'It was strange that he left Tara in the room when he attacked me. The next morning, he even tried to gauge if I was planning to go out, and today he followed me like this, didn't he?'
No matter how I thought about it, there was only one conclusion. He had figured out my plan. There was no other reason.
'So you know my plan, too?'
I threw off the covers and sprang out of bed. The cool night air seeped in through the gaps in my thin negligee. Normally, I would have burrowed back under the covers, but the sensation of feeling more alert wasn't bad.
'Even if Eon knows everything, should we proceed as planned?'
My eyes were drawn to a music box placed on one side of the display cabinet. When I wound the spring, a ceramic doll shaped like a ballerina spun around and music played. The music didn't last long. I wound the spring again. The ballerina spun around and danced to the same music.
The sight was exactly like me dancing to Eon's rhythm. Watching the ballerina unable to escape that stage no matter how many times I repeated it, I ended up throwing the music box onto the bed.
'I don't want to give up like this.'
I wasn't his doll.
'If there is even a slight possibility.'
Possibility. Even for me, an extra not even mentioned in the novel, there was hope. Something that even the most brilliant mage like Eon could never have imagined.
'Right, I'm a possessed person who knows the original story.'
Behind the hope that had barely bloomed, worry soon reared its head.
'But even so, what can I do?'
'Isn't it best to just wait patiently until Karina arrives?'
'But what if I die before then?'
A metallic taste spread through my mouth in an instant. I reflexively pulled what I was holding in my mouth. Blood was flowing from under my battered fingernails. Seeing the sight, I let out a hollow laugh.
It was funny to see I biting at my own nails when Eon hadn't said or done anything to me.
"Let's do it."
I wiped the blood from my finger and murmured softly. It was better to try than to tremble in anxiety like a fool. I put the music box that had fallen on the bed back in its place and crawled under the covers.
Of course, going out again the next day would have looked suspicious in many ways, so I immersed myself in research for two days. In the meantime, the incident where Marilyn attacked me had become a forgotten matter in the Magic Tower.
"Hmm, you make quite a secretive drug."
At Sally's words, I couldn't help but flinch in surprise, like a thief caught red-handed. It seemed she knew what I was making just by looking at the ingredients.
"I was thinking of sneaking into a forbidden area."
I answered with a feigned mischievous smile.
"Are you planning to enter the forbidden room?"
Come to think of it, she told me there was a room like that on the fourth floor.
"That would be fine, too."
I hadn't even thought about it at all.
"If you're going, let me join you. It's a secret, but I'm interested in that room too."
Sally lowered her voice and joked as if she were serious.
"Don't you feel like the Tower Master's secret might be hidden in that room?"
"The Tower Master's secret?"
At that moment, things like green eyeballs filled in a cylinder or brown hair hanging up with the scalp intact came to mind.
"Yes, things like magical items or books containing the secrets of alchemy that existed in the past."
"The alchemy of the past?"
"They say that a few hundred years ago, alchemy existed at a much higher level than it does now, don't they? Although now we only manage to make things like medicine."
It was a fresh story to me, having only learned practical alchemy techniques at the Count's house.
"I heard there was also alchemy that dealt with life. Haven't you heard of it? Like alchemy that extends human life or creates new life."
Sally's eyes sparkled as she gazed at the books shelved on one side. They bore titles such as *The History of Alchemy* and *Lost Alchemy*. They appeared to contain serious research and the truth about this fantasy world.
However, I did not have the luxury to discuss such weighty topics with Sally right now. I did not care what kind of history alchemy had. My only thought was to help Tara escape immediately and break free myself.
"Do you think the Tower Master knows that secret?"
"At the very least, it is clear that he is the one closest to that secret."
I suppose he knows best if it is the secret of secretly taking lives. I just shrugged my shoulders and promised to share it if I succeeded in making the medicine.
***
And so, on the morning of the third day since my last outing, I left the magic tower once again.
"Miss, are you going out?"
It was just as I was about to get on the carriage.
"Yeah. Since I'm starting new research, there are a lot of things I need to buy."
"That’s perfect timing. I had business in the city center as well."
Karen followed me again. At this rate, I wondered if Eon had instructed her to keep an eye on me every time I went out.
"Surely you aren't going to the jewelry store again today."
Karen tossed out a remark as if testing me. I could sense her determination to move with me no matter what. It seemed unlikely that I would be able to shake her off like last time.
"Yeah. There are a lot of things to buy at the market. It seems like my ankle hasn't fully healed yet; this is a big problem."
I stroked my perfectly fine leg several times and said.
"Wouldn't Karen go along with me and help out a bit?"
I smiled brightly, as if I had no idea what her intentions were. Karen’s eyes widened, as if she hadn’t expected me to say something like that, but quickly returned to normal.
"Of course. Just give me the order."
Karen also nodded like an obedient maid.
The market was bustling as usual. On one side of the street, goods were being unloaded from carts, and people were coming and going busily. The sound of owners and customers haggling could be heard, followed by voices eager to sell even one more item.
But that was only for a moment; as soon as a herbalist came into view in the distance, this scenery vanished completely before my eyes. The letter in my inner pocket felt as heavy as a gold nugget. I turned to look at Karen beside me.
"Do you know where the blacksmith's shop is?"
"Yes, are you going that way?"
"I wish Karen would buy me some Halon minerals from the blacksmith."
"Just me? Are you telling me to go to the blacksmith?"
"Yes. In the meantime, I'll look at the other materials over here. Wouldn't that finish the job faster? I'd like to request thinly processed haron minerals."
It would take time to process the haron mineral, which is usually used in bead form, into thin sheets. I planned to tie Karen up at the blacksmith's and meet Eaton at the herbalist in the meantime.
“Are you okay?”
"Yes."
Karen had a hesitant expression, but she couldn't refuse my request.
"I'll go buy it right away."
“Please.”
Karen looked back several times, like a maid worried about leaving her noble mistress alone.
'So, with this, I've gotten Karen out of the way for now.'
I headed to the herbalist. Since herbs were essential ingredients for making medicine, no one would suspect me merely for visiting.
Even after seeing the box full of herbs, I made a point of checking the shop sign one more time. I took a deep breath and exhaled. In the meantime, Eaton recognized me and greeted me.
“Welcome back.”
Hands trimming medicinal herbs were busy on one side.
“Are you busy?”
"Yes, we received a lot of medicinal herbs gathered from the mountain today. You have arrived at just the right time.
As I picked out a few familiar medicinal herbs and headed to the checkout counter, Eaton approached me while taking off his gloves.
"Please wait a moment. Let's see, one hundred grams of mandrake root and..."
While Eaton was weighing the herbs on one side of the scale, I placed the letter on top of the pile of herbs. When Eaton discovered it, he laughed and informed me, as if he had simply assumed it was my mistake.
"Oops, Miss. You've put the item out in the wrong place. Haha."
“Daughter..."
"If you're not careful, dirt will get on the letter."
I spoke in a louder voice.
“It’s a letter from your daughter.”
Eaton's hands, which had been moving busily, stopped.
"What did you say? Could you please repeat that?"
"This is a letter from your daughter."
The scale fell to the ground with a loud crash.
"Are you.... making fun of me?"
"Your missing daughter is in the same place as me."
At those words, Eaton grabbed my hand. He was trembling violently. I pulled my hand away and instead handed the letter to Eaton.
"I am not in a good situation, so I cannot give a detailed explanation. Please read the letter for now."
He looked as if he were about to collapse, so I brought a chair from the side of the shop and had Eaton sit down. He just stared intently at the letter in his hand.
'It’s understandable that he would be surprised, since his daughter, whom he thought was dead, sent a letter. No, it’s more than just surprise.'
He would need time to sort out his surging emotions and the confusion in his mind. I understood his feelings, but I couldn't help being impatient. I urged him on in a roundabout way.
"The information Mr. Eaton might be curious about is probably written there. It would be good to hear the details after meeting your daughter."
"..."
"So... I mean, Tara wrote down where she is here. She wrote it herself."
I raised my hand to signal him to read it. As if he had finally made up his mind, Eaton opened the letter. Eaton's face, which had been deathly pale, flushed, and soon the corners of his eyes turned red. He covered his mouth with one hand and swallowed his sobs.
Even though it was a deeply moving moment, I was simply busy taking turns looking out the door with Eaton. I had to deliver not only Tara's letter but mine as well before Karen arrived. To do so, Eaton needed to calm down somewhat.
"I don't know the contents of the letter either. Since this matter needs to be handled in such secrecy, Mr. Eaton, please keep it to yourself if possible. I think it would be best to keep it a secret from the rest of the family as well."
I doubted whether Eaton, who was shrugging his shoulders with his head bowed, had properly understood what I said.
"Mr. Eaton, you really need to handle this well. This might be your last chance to see your daughter. Understood?"
At my words, Eaton suddenly stood up.
"I must go catch that guy right away."
"No. No, that won't work. Even is not a match for him."
"Are you a high-ranking noble? If so, I will submit a petition to the royal court."
It seemed that Tara hadn't noted down where she was. I was trying to stop Eaton once again when Karen appeared outside the door.
Previous Next

Comments
Post a Comment