KTBYM - Chapter 16






To think Eon would appear so suddenly. I would have been surprised even if it were the Magic Tower, let alone here in the middle of downtown Baynan.

"Why here..."

"Wouldn't it be the same reason as Miss Selinia?"

“Same reason?”

It was a frightening answer. After all, I could interpret it as meaning he knew my entire plan.

'Did you come to punish me? Or to interfere?'

Let's not jump to conclusions; it was better to erase such rash thoughts from my mind.

"Um... it looks like you've come to buy raw stones."

I forced a smile, feigning nonchalance. Eon merely nodded vaguely. It was unclear whether that meant affirmation or denial.

Eon's interest was elsewhere, not in talking to me. It was extremely fortunate for me.

"They said it was the best jeweler in Baynan."

"As expected, there are a lot of people, right? I heard we have to wait a long time."

"Because there are a lot of people... Did the clerk say that?"

"Yes, so I was just about to leave."

Eon let out a short sigh and shook his head.

“Wrong.”

'You're wrong.'

What on earth was wrong? The clumsy acting? The plan itself? He, who had made my heart sink to the ground, calmly shifted his gaze. At the end of that gaze was the clerk who had treated me coldly.

'Did you have brown hair and green eyes?'

I hadn't noticed it earlier. Then again, that murderer would be the only one checking the color of a passing person's hair and eyes.

"It looks like I'll have to step in to educate instead of Miss Selinia."

"Education? What on earth is that all of a sudden..."

The words that came out of Eon's mouth lost their original meaning and sounded like a death sentence.

"Isn't it only natural that employees who disrespect customers need training?"

"Yes?"

"Please stop making that dazed face. Miss Selinia was ignored to the point that even I, standing far away, could tell."

It seemed that Eon had been watching the entire conversation between me and the employee.

'Were you at the jewelry store before me? Then, I guess our schedules just happened to overlap by chance?'

The relief was short-lived, however, as I was suddenly overcome with fear at the murderous look in his eyes.

"So, are you saying you are going to educate the clerk who ignored me?"

"They showed such a rude attitude to my person, so I can't just let it slide."

Eon's gaze was still fixed on the clerk. To be precise, it was fixed on the brown hair and green eyes.

"Couldn't you leave that to the shop owner or manager? There is no need for you to get involved personally, Master of the Magic Tower."

"I'm not sure if they can provide the education I want."

It was a remark that felt like it would turn my anxious imagination into reality. Naturally, the method he wanted would be different from standard employee training. After all, no matter how rude a clerk might be, no owner would demand that they pay the price with their life.

I hurriedly stood in front of Eon to block his path. I forced a smile as I looked at Eon, who seemed to be asking what I was doing.

"I think a little differently. The problem isn't them; it's me."

"To say Miss Selinia is a problem? That is a novel remark."

"Look. Dressed like this, you’ll have to wait a long time at any shop on the main street of Baynan. The clerk will likely want to get a customer who looks more important than me first."

I waved my cloak. Eon looked back and forth between the other ladies around me. Then, he nodded as if he had reached a conclusion.

"I see. That makes sense."

"I'm not saying the clerk did a good job, but it was unreasonable to expect special treatment dressed like that."

Eon continued to nod, expressing excessive agreement.

"Since Miss Selinia shone simply by her presence, I did not even notice that she was wearing such shabby and wretched rags."

"..."

At this point, I couldn't tell if he was mocking me or the clothes. What was more unsettling was that I couldn't even guess what on earth he was trying to do.

'I thought it was too easy.'

Eon finally stopped nodding and turned around without hesitation.

"If that is the extent of their discernment, then it can't be helped. Follow me."

"Follow me?" This, too, was quite ordinary language, but since it came from Eon's mouth, it no longer sounded like a normal remark.

“Where?”

“Over there.”

Eon merely pointed outside the shop with his fingertips. It was impossible to know exactly where he was referring to. Then again, there was no need to know the exact location. Even if it were Paradise, I didn't want to go there with this murderer.

"I'll just stay here. I have to buy something, too."

I quietly slipped away. Not only was I reluctant to go with Eon, but it would also disrupt my plans.

"I don't think the clerk will show you a high-quality gem if you stay dressed like this."

"I'll dress up a bit better next time."

"Do you have any nice clothes to wear?"

"If I wear a nicer dress under the cape..."

“Miss Selinia.”

Eon's voice lowered.

"How about you follow me?"

It was the second suggestion. The cold expression indicated that this was by no means a suggestion. It didn't seem like anything particularly good would happen even if I held out any longer.

Eventually, I chased after Eon.

***

“Here?”

“Yes, here.”

"Why here..."

A kind voice greeted us before the answer came back.

"Marquis. It has been a long time since you visited."

It was a face I was seeing for the first time, but I knew exactly who she was.

It was Jean, the owner and chief designer of the Jean-Tierre Boutique. Although I had no connection to such a high-end fashion house, it was so famous that I couldn't help but know it.

"What clothes do you need today?"

“This one, not me.”

Eon pointed at me. I flinched as I stared blankly around the shop.

'You came here to buy my clothes? Really? No, why on earth?'

Countless question marks popped up in my head. It was better than being dragged to a dangerous place, but I was confused by the actions whose intentions were unclear.

“Why?”

I asked the question once more, but it was drowned out by a high-pitched voice. No. Even so, he must have heard my question, but Eon ignored it.

"Oh my. This lady is..."

Jean's eyes sparkled excessively. It was the exact same look Sally had when she spoke about the rumors about me. I felt like I knew what she was imagining.

'Do I look like a young lady who came with Eon to get a dress fitted?'

The fact that others did not know I was being held captive by a murderer brought a sense of isolation.

'I guess this is what it feels like to walk past a police station without being able to report it.'

"I’d like to see my person’s clothes."

Furthermore, Eon gave an answer that only fueled Jean's misunderstanding. I quickly revealed my identity.

"Hello. I am a researcher from the Magic Tower."

"Ah. So you are a researcher."

Jean's excited voice had just subsided at the mention of the word 'researcher.'

"Yeah, I'm a researcher too."

Eon emphasized the word 'do' and added, 'If I'm a researcher, I'm just a researcher; it was a nuance as if I had some other role.'

"Oh my, I see."

Jean gave another strange smile. Eon always had a hateful knack for making the situation his own.

'We can't just sit here and take it, can we?'

I don't know what his ulterior motive was for coming here, but I also had the right to take advantage of this situation.

There was an air that she would be more than willing to act as if I were a noble lady with a special relationship to her, if that were the case. After all, it would be to my advantage as well.

"Eon, are you planning to give me a gift?"

I spoke in a highly excited voice. I wanted to blush slightly, but the best I could do was just lower the corners of my eyes and smile happily.

“Eon?”

He looked down at me at the sudden title change.

'If it's me, shouldn't I at least be able to call them by their name?'

Thinking that he was reading my mind, I spoke to myself. If he was offended that I dared to call the Tower Master by his name, he could simply send a telepathic message or scold me directly.

However, there was no sign of anger or displeasure on Eon's face. Only his purple eyes wavered for a moment.

'Do you really want to pretend to be a couple on a date?'

I called out to him once again, as if to confirm.

"Isn't that right, Eon?"

"That is correct. If there is anything you want, feel free to choose as much as you like."

"Wow, just like the rumors say, the dresses at Jean-Tierre Boutique are truly beautiful. I'm so happy to get to wear such lovely clothes thanks to Eon."

I walked among the displayed clothes, showering them with exclamations of awe. Even I thought it was a bit excessive, but I couldn't help it. It was impossible for me to suddenly deliver a natural performance when I had never acted in my life.

'At this rate, do I look like a Young Lady enjoying a date?'

My existence had already been discovered by Eon anyway. Now, rather than hiding myself, it was better to let many people know that I knew him. So that if something were to happen to me, Eon could be identified as a suspect.

In that sense, Jean-Tierre Boutique was a great place to make our relationship known. I don't know why Eon handed me a hand that was in my favor, but since things had turned out this way, I had to make the most of the opportunity.


Previous                Next



Comments