In that case, now that Marilyn had disappeared, this was the chance. I felt a sense of urgency.
"Do you know how to write?"
Tara nodded, her eyes wide at the sudden question.
“Good.”
I placed a pen and paper on the table.
"If you write down the time, date, and place, wouldn't we be able to meet? I can deliver the letter."
It was a statement that omitted a lot of details.
"Just like the boy who went back home in the novel."
"Miss, surely not..."
I put my finger to my lips.
"You have to keep everything to yourself. So that not even I know."
Tara wiped her hands once on her skirt and then picked up the pen and paper. The only sound in the room was the scratching of the pen nib on the paper.
Tara's letter was not the only thing to deliver to her father, Eaton. I also intended to deliver a letter I had written in advance. While I had a good intention to help Tara, my ultimate goal was to receive help from her in return.
'Eaton is facing Eon?'
Of course, that would have been nothing more than hitting a rock with an egg. I had no such intention from the start. Eaton was merely a go-between to help me meet someone who could truly help me.
'Karina.'
My letter contained a request to meet with Military Police Lieutenant Karina. After all, it seemed that the protagonist of the novel was the only one who could stand against Eon.
***
It was already morning after I sent Tara back. As I held her letter in my pocket, I wanted to run to the city center right away.
'Given the commotion yesterday, won't it look strange that I'm going out right away today?'
Even while worrying about that, my feet naturally led me to the stable.
There were no separate coachmen in the Magic Tower. It was said that the horses fed with magic stones by Eon would automatically head to the post station in the city once a person rode them. Fortunately, it seemed I was the first passenger of the day.
'Do I just have to get on and go out?'
I looked around and saw Eon walking in the distance. It was a relief that I hadn't gotten into the carriage right away. I took my eyes off the carriage and walked as if I were just taking a stroll around the area.
The distance between him and me soon narrowed.
"Are you feeling alright?"
I was about to nod, but then I remembered that Eon hated it and opened my mouth.
“Thank you.”
"I was worried that you might be very shocked, but you are just as expected of Miss Selinia."
I didn't know what was so obvious about it, but such praise didn't make me happy at all. The reason I could remain sane after going through that terrible ordeal was that I knew something even worse awaited me if I lost my mind.
"You came out into the cold morning air."
"Yes. It actually feels stifling staying only in my room."
"Oh dear, wouldn't it be better to stay indoors? Wouldn't that be better than taking a carriage out of the magic tower or wandering around the city?"
It was a very specific metaphor. It was as if he knew what I was trying to do.
'Surely they didn't come out just to prevent me from leaving?'
It seemed best not to even think of a plan in front of Eon. I quickly changed the subject of the conversation.
"When I'm inside the magic tower, I keep thinking about what happened yesterday... and another maid might launch an iron attack..."
He expressed his fear by trembling his shoulders. He wanted to look like someone who was simply terrified, without thinking.
"The maid will never attack Miss Selinia."
"Until yesterday, I never imagined I would be attacked like that by a maid."
Neither Eon nor I mentioned why Marilyn had done such a thing. I was afraid that if I brought it up, my violation of the Magic Tower's rules would be exposed. Seeing that Eon wasn't asking about the situation at the time, it seemed he had something to hide as well.
I asked as I passed by Eon.
"Marilyn is…"
"I kicked her out just as I said yesterday."
I remained silent for a moment. There must have been something that could not be simply dismissed as being kicked out. However, prying into it would not benefit me in any way. Besides, it was a rule of the Magic Tower not to mention the expelled.
"What about the collapsed maid?"
I felt nervous for no reason when Tara's story came up.
"Fortunately, she feels fine. Still, she should avoid overexerting herself for a while because she was so shocked."
"It seems you care quite a bit about that maid."
In fact, I didn't have much contact with Tara before coming to the Magic Tower. I simply considered her trustworthy because I knew her origins for sure.
"Wasn't there a rule not to talk about what happened before coming to the Magic Tower?"
A smirk escaped Eon's lips. It was a reaction that suggested he was playing a ridiculous trick.
"You managed to notice that the maid was being manipulated."
"Anyone would have known. The tone of voice and the look in their eyes changed in an instant, so is it mind-control magic?"
“Yes.”
"The high-ranking maids of the Magic Tower are certainly different in some way. To think they use such magic without hesitation."
I blurted out a sarcastic remark without realizing it. I glanced at Eon to gauge his reaction. Fortunately, it didn't seem like I had offended him.
"It is a long-standing tradition of the Magic Tower. For the efficient operation of the Magic Tower."
No, it wasn't just that it didn't offend him; he even seemed to be secretly proud of it. The reason for this was soon revealed.
"Actually, that magic was devised by Sally."
"Ah... Sally."
That name came up again. I didn't really want to get involved with the name Sally, but I ended up facing it like this.
"That is how she managed my employees when she was with me."
A wistfulness lingered in Eon's voice, as if he were recalling memories of Sally. However, memories of manipulating employees using mental magic were not romantic at all.
'I thought they were just a simple victim, but maybe they weren't an ordinary human being either.'
Realizing that Eon was watching my expression, I quickly put on a perfunctory smile.
"Come to think of it, were you out for a walk, Tower Master?"
"No. I have something to go out for."
Eon gestured toward the carriage.
“Would you like to accompany me?”
I had that thought earlier, but it seemed like Eon was acting this way because he knew I was going out.
"No, as the Tower Master said, I need to rest in my room. There is no one to attack me anymore."
Going out with Eon? No matter how urgent the situation, that was absolutely out of the question.
***
The next day, I finally left the Magic Tower under the pretext that I needed crafting materials. Karen also joined me in the carriage, saying she happened to have something to buy. It was a companionship that felt quite intentional.
In the carriage, Karen asked if the food at the Magic Tower suited my taste and if I was uncomfortable with anything. However, she asked nothing about Tara. In a way, it was only natural that there was no mention of the Marilyn incident.
"I think I'll be finished with work by around three. If the timing works out, would you like to go back with me, Researcher? We could meet at the post station."
Karen asked when we arrived in downtown Baynan.
"Well, I'm not sure when I'll be back. We might miss each other, so let's go our separate ways."
“Yes, I understand.”
She, who had readily agreed to my words, added a remark that sounded like a warning.
"Don't forget to be back by five."
Then, watching me step onto the main road, she asked.
"Ah, are you going that way?"
"Yeah. I have to buy materials at Kiena's jewelry store."
Karen wore a look of dismay. It was clear she had followed me just to keep an eye on me.
"Was the material actually a gem today?"
"Why? Did you have to report even that in advance?"
"Ah. No. It's not like that, but..."
Kiena Jeweler was the most luxurious jeweler in Baynan. The customers coming and going were also dressed in splendid dresses. Family carriages were lined up in front of the shop.
This was precisely why I brought up this place. Due to its luxurious atmosphere, it was a place where Karen could never claim that her paths crossed with mine.
"Do you have business at the jewelry store too?"
Karen gave the answer I had expected to my question.
"A jewelry store? Why would I have any reason to go to a place like that? I was actually just about to go to a fabric shop."
"Okay, buy your things and go inside."
I watched Karen disappear in the opposite direction, then turned around.
'The troublemaker is gone, so now it's my turn too...'
It wasn't a lie that I was going to the Kiena Jeweler. I needed to buy crafting materials first, as returning empty-handed might arouse suspicion. The gemstones frequently used in high-end crafting would come in handy if I bought them in advance.
I opened the door to the jewelry store. Beneath the huge chandelier, colorful jewels were emitting light in their own unique ways.
"Welcome to Kiena, the best jeweler in Baynan."
The clerk, who had rushed over, greeting me loudly, spoke softly once he stood before me. It wasn't just his voice that had softened; it seemed as though even his passion for customers had vanished.
I was a bit flustered, but thanks to the clerk's gaze, I was able to figure out the problem soon.
'Ah. My clothes'
My pitch-black cloak was reflected on the gleaming floor. It was the outer garment I had hurriedly grabbed when leaving the Count's estate.
'Is it significantly... over the limit?'
Having never had occasion to stand in front of others to begin with, I did not have any decent clothes. The Count’s family did not provide any for me, nor did I have any particular desire for them. To an orphan, clothes were merely items that protected one from the heat and the cold.
'If I had known this would happen, I should have at least prepared some decent clothes to go out in.'
Even though I knew there was nothing I could do right now, I couldn't help but feel my face flush slightly.
"Which item would you like to see? A ring? A necklace?"
"I came to look at gemstones, not accessories."
"Raw stone, I see. You mean a raw stone."
The clerk did not hide his disappointment, as if he had expected it. It was likely because raw stones are much cheaper than processed gemstones.
"Please wait over there."
"I wish I could see it soon."
"There are guests who arrived first. Shouldn't we serve them in order?"
'This is a hassle.'
Being ignored was one thing, but the delay was a big problem. After sitting for a few minutes, I stood up. I didn't necessarily need to buy a raw gemstone. All I had to do was take something with me.
It was then.
"I didn't expect to meet you in a place like this."
A familiar voice spoke to me. Hoping my hunch was wrong, I slowly turned around.
"Tower Master?"
Support Novellate!


Comments
Post a Comment