Kendrick started reading. Stella would stroke Kendrick's back a few times because he looked cute while reading.
'I haven't heard from Sercia Lanedict either.'
She was also concerned about what had happened at Lanedict. Stella had sent Rincasta to Kendrick and kept a close eye on him to see if he was up to anything. However, every time she secretly visited, Rincasta was busy massaging Lara's lower back. Stella tapped her cheek.
'There's no way she just gave it as a gift.'
Now, just thinking of Lanedict gave Stella a headache. There wasn't a single good person among the connections she had made there. Not Duke Argent Lanedict, not Duchess Sercia, not even her brother Skyle.
Even if I fully recover from my loneliness, I wonder if I won't be able to easily sever my ties with them.'
Stella shook her head.
'Let's just get better first.'
She reread a few of the books Kendrick had given her. Kendrick approached as if he had something to say. Stella turned her gaze to look at him.
"I think the ending of this book is really good."
"Is it so?"
Kendrick rattled off a list of reasons why he thought the ending was good. Stella nodded and listened attentively, fascinated to have such a conversation with Kendrick. A short while later, Kendrick spoke to her again.
"Stella."
"Why?"
"I think this kind of character is attractive."
It was a character who gradually grew more independent as he went through various events. Once again, Kendrick went on and on about that character. As this repeated itself, Stella became puzzled.
'Kendrick wasn't originally this interested in literature?'
Even when he studied, he only studied things that would be helpful to Adrian.
"That's right. I thought that character was good, too."
"Right? I guess there is a connection between us because we are a married couple."
Then Stella found out.
'So you wanted to talk to me.'
She felt the corners of her mouth curl up slightly. Then she grabbed Kendrick's chin. A hum escaped her lips. Stella moved Kendrick's face from side to side, examining him closely. He frowned as if asking what she was doing.
"By the way, is something wrong?"
"Why?"
"Your skin seems to have gotten rougher lately."
As she leaned closer, the change in his expression became more pronounced. Kendrick's pupils widened in surprise.
"Aren't you pushing yourself to read books?"
Kendrick shook his head slightly. Reading a few literature books wasn't that difficult. When he read with the anticipation of talking with Stella, the book was finished in no time. What he cared about was something else.
"There is a problem with the accounting books."
"...Suddenly?"
He nodded. Kendrick tended to be meticulous about such matters. Perhaps because of this, no such problem had ever occurred even once while Stella lived as the Duchess. It was the same even before the regression.
"It seems like someone is deliberately manipulating it to create flaws."
'Is there a traitor in this life who didn't appear in the previous one?'
Stella naturally couldn't help but suspect Rincasta, like a heroine from a classic fairy tale.
'There's no way our Rincasta would do that. Let's find someone else!'
She wasn't naive enough to think that. Nor was she absolutely certain it was Rincasta. After all, there was no concrete evidence.
"Is it serious?"
"No. I'm just creating a slight opening to get in the way. Since someone might just be making a mistake for now, I plan to just wait and see."
Stella nodded.
'Let's wait and see how things develop for now.'
Rincasta used to run various errands. One day, he delivered a letter to Stella. It was mixed with invitations to parties and tea parties for noblewomen and gatherings for writers. As a Duchess, Stella always received invitations, though she didn't attend very often.
"Hmm..."
As she flipped through the letters one by one to check them, a particularly plain-looking envelope caught her eye. The reason it looked plain was that it lacked the sender's name.
'If it's this, it means they didn't deliver it through a postman, but brought it themselves.'
She had a strange feeling, so she checked the letter.
[Don't trust Kendrick Adrian too much. I'm saying this because I'm worried about you.]
The moment she read the letter, jer hair stood on end. Who on earth would have delivered such a message to Stella, and for what purpose?
"Why, is something wrong?"
Stella looked up. Rincasta was looking at Stella with a bright smile. His blue eyes crinkled beautifully, but somehow, the sight felt strange. Ever since he arrived, gaps had appeared in the accounting ledgers, and a mysterious message had even arrived warning to be careful of Kendrick.
"Do you know who left this?"
"I don't know. I just collected the letters sent to Lady Stella."
"Yes."
Stella took a sip of tea. Snacks were in front of her. Rincasta looked at Stella, who had a stern face, with a puzzled expression, then bowed deeply.
"Well then, I'll be going now."
She shook her head.
"Have some cake before you go."
Stella fed her share of dessert to Rincasta as usual. It seemed that if she pretended to cherish Rincasta, Rincasta would lower his guard.
"Today too?"
"Why? Do you dislike chocolate cake?"
Perhaps because he was still a teenager who liked sweets, his face lit up whenever he saw sweet food. He was the complete opposite of Kendrick, who disliked desserts.
"No! It's just because I like it so much!"
Rincasta scooped a generous amount of chocolate cake and put it in his mouth.
"By the way, what did you do at Lanedict?"
He didn't get flustered by Stella's sudden question and swallowed the cake in his mouth first.
"I initially joined as a knight apprentice. But I was kicked out after a short while."
"May I ask the reason?"
"I can't hit people. I was worried that the other person might get seriously injured because of me, so I couldn't even swing the sword properly."
He did not know that he had been expelled from the Order for this reason. Stella poured him some milk and encouraged him to continue speaking. Rincasta moistened his throat with the milk and continued speaking.
"After that, I just became a servant doing miscellaneous tasks. Then, Sercia said she liked my appearance, so I became Lady Stella's gift."
For some reason, there was a reason he was so perceptive in his role as a servant. Stella watched his arm as he picked up the cake with a fork. Was it certainly because he had applied to be a knight? Unlike the other servants, he had muscles.
"Then, you must be able to do some swordsmanship?"
Rincasta shook his head.
"No. I'm really bad. If I had been even a little bit good, I wouldn't have been kicked out as an apprentice."
Rincasta, having finished eating the cake, left Stella's study still wearing an innocent smile. There was a cake stain on the corner of his mouth, but Stella, distracted by the letter she had just received, did not even think to point it out.
'Watch out for Kendrick...'
She wondered if she should tell Kendrick that she received this letter.
'Is he hiding something else from me?'
Naturally, the face of Lady Decrit came to mind. However, this was something she had already clarified once. She did not want to be misunderstood again. As she looked out the window with a troubled heart, she spotted Rincasta. He seemed to be arguing with two other servants. Stella rose to her feet and walked toward the garden. Fortunately, Rincasta and the servants did not notice Stella's presence. Holding her breath, she could hear voices faintly.
"It's because you guys are incompetent, so what am I supposed to do about it?"
Only Rincasta's shrill voice was heard particularly loudly. Unlike when he spoke in front of Stella, his tone was somewhat aggressive. As if angered by Rincasta's words, the two servants appeared to be getting angry.
"This arrogant bastard..."
"I wonder if Lady Stella knows that you are so two-faced?"
"If that were the case, Stella wouldn't have been particularly fond of this kid."
Several arguments went back and forth. Stella opened the window so that the children's voices could be heard better.
"So, if you're so clueless, why don't you at least learn some common sense? Stop badmouthing people who are minding their own business for no reason."
She glanced over and saw that the child arguing with Rincasta was the offspring of a Duke's servant, working at the estate just like their parents. She didn't know their exact names, but they were children whose faces she had memorized from seeing them often.
"Do you think a nobody like you is the same as me, who has served the Duke of Adrian's family for generations?"
Rincasta chuckled in disbelief.
"Stop just babbling, and if you're angry, bring it on."
The children responded to Rincasta's provocation with harsh words, but as if they had no real intention of fighting, they took small steps back and left. It was a sight Stella would not have known had she not happened to look out the window. After a moment of hesitation, Stella revealed herself to Rincasta.
"Lady Stella...!"
Flustered, Rincasta opened his eyes wide.
"Did you hear everything?"
Stella said nothing. Silence was an affirmation.
"Well... Lady Stella remembered my name and even gave me cake. So I guess those kids got jealous and ganged up on me. I just played along with them."
Stella wondered what to say, but simply walked away. She felt Rincasta's gaze sting. Right, peers can have that kind of power struggle. Stella tried to calm herself down.
However, she couldn't just stand by and watch Rincasta like this.
Evening came, and Kendrick returned.
"Honey."
'Are you looking unwell lately simply because of the accounting books?'
Stella bit her lower lip, debating whether or not to say the next thing. She tucked the letter she had received earlier that day, which was tucked between the pages of a book, back in so that the corners wouldn't stick out.
"Huh? What is it, Stella?"
After much thought, she said.
"I think there must be a reason why Mother sent Rincasta. I will keep Rincasta with me for the time being."
Kendrick was silent for a moment. He knew exactly what Stella had been thinking when she originally sent Rincasta to him. She wanted to keep him because she feared he would be abused if sent back to Ranedict, but since Kendrick would be displeased with that, she had sent him instead. However, as Kendrick bossed Rincasta around, he confirmed that he wasn't such a strange child after all.
"Yes, I understand."
Although his smile was excessively bright and he was good at controlling his expression, his nature seemed kind. At Kendrick's answer, Stella smiled gratefully. Kendrick's gaze shifted past Stella toward the window. It had been difficult to see a clear sky lately. Kendrick draped a blanket, brought by a servant, over Stella's shoulders. It was a light, warm, high-quality blanket.
"What is this blanket for?"
Dark clouds filled the sky and then vanished, and occasional showers fell. It was an unusually severe rainy season.
"The weather has been a bit strange lately. Be extra careful in case you catch a cold. You're not feeling well to begin with."
"Thank you."
[Don't trust Kendrick.]
The letter she had received earlier came to mind. She was able to hide her worried expression thanks to Kendrick holding her tightly in his arms.
'It's probably nothing.'
Stella thought the sender of this letter was either Rincasta or Anton Geron. Kendrick patted her back. Stella smiled leisurely and met Kendrick's eyes.
'I don't want to suspect this man anymore.'
'I haven't heard from Sercia Lanedict either.'
She was also concerned about what had happened at Lanedict. Stella had sent Rincasta to Kendrick and kept a close eye on him to see if he was up to anything. However, every time she secretly visited, Rincasta was busy massaging Lara's lower back. Stella tapped her cheek.
'There's no way she just gave it as a gift.'
Now, just thinking of Lanedict gave Stella a headache. There wasn't a single good person among the connections she had made there. Not Duke Argent Lanedict, not Duchess Sercia, not even her brother Skyle.
Even if I fully recover from my loneliness, I wonder if I won't be able to easily sever my ties with them.'
Stella shook her head.
'Let's just get better first.'
She reread a few of the books Kendrick had given her. Kendrick approached as if he had something to say. Stella turned her gaze to look at him.
"I think the ending of this book is really good."
"Is it so?"
Kendrick rattled off a list of reasons why he thought the ending was good. Stella nodded and listened attentively, fascinated to have such a conversation with Kendrick. A short while later, Kendrick spoke to her again.
"Stella."
"Why?"
"I think this kind of character is attractive."
It was a character who gradually grew more independent as he went through various events. Once again, Kendrick went on and on about that character. As this repeated itself, Stella became puzzled.
'Kendrick wasn't originally this interested in literature?'
Even when he studied, he only studied things that would be helpful to Adrian.
"That's right. I thought that character was good, too."
"Right? I guess there is a connection between us because we are a married couple."
Then Stella found out.
'So you wanted to talk to me.'
She felt the corners of her mouth curl up slightly. Then she grabbed Kendrick's chin. A hum escaped her lips. Stella moved Kendrick's face from side to side, examining him closely. He frowned as if asking what she was doing.
"By the way, is something wrong?"
"Why?"
"Your skin seems to have gotten rougher lately."
As she leaned closer, the change in his expression became more pronounced. Kendrick's pupils widened in surprise.
"Aren't you pushing yourself to read books?"
Kendrick shook his head slightly. Reading a few literature books wasn't that difficult. When he read with the anticipation of talking with Stella, the book was finished in no time. What he cared about was something else.
"There is a problem with the accounting books."
"...Suddenly?"
He nodded. Kendrick tended to be meticulous about such matters. Perhaps because of this, no such problem had ever occurred even once while Stella lived as the Duchess. It was the same even before the regression.
"It seems like someone is deliberately manipulating it to create flaws."
'Is there a traitor in this life who didn't appear in the previous one?'
Stella naturally couldn't help but suspect Rincasta, like a heroine from a classic fairy tale.
'There's no way our Rincasta would do that. Let's find someone else!'
She wasn't naive enough to think that. Nor was she absolutely certain it was Rincasta. After all, there was no concrete evidence.
"Is it serious?"
"No. I'm just creating a slight opening to get in the way. Since someone might just be making a mistake for now, I plan to just wait and see."
Stella nodded.
'Let's wait and see how things develop for now.'
***
Rincasta used to run various errands. One day, he delivered a letter to Stella. It was mixed with invitations to parties and tea parties for noblewomen and gatherings for writers. As a Duchess, Stella always received invitations, though she didn't attend very often.
"Hmm..."
As she flipped through the letters one by one to check them, a particularly plain-looking envelope caught her eye. The reason it looked plain was that it lacked the sender's name.
'If it's this, it means they didn't deliver it through a postman, but brought it themselves.'
She had a strange feeling, so she checked the letter.
[Don't trust Kendrick Adrian too much. I'm saying this because I'm worried about you.]
The moment she read the letter, jer hair stood on end. Who on earth would have delivered such a message to Stella, and for what purpose?
"Why, is something wrong?"
Stella looked up. Rincasta was looking at Stella with a bright smile. His blue eyes crinkled beautifully, but somehow, the sight felt strange. Ever since he arrived, gaps had appeared in the accounting ledgers, and a mysterious message had even arrived warning to be careful of Kendrick.
"Do you know who left this?"
"I don't know. I just collected the letters sent to Lady Stella."
"Yes."
Stella took a sip of tea. Snacks were in front of her. Rincasta looked at Stella, who had a stern face, with a puzzled expression, then bowed deeply.
"Well then, I'll be going now."
She shook her head.
"Have some cake before you go."
Stella fed her share of dessert to Rincasta as usual. It seemed that if she pretended to cherish Rincasta, Rincasta would lower his guard.
"Today too?"
"Why? Do you dislike chocolate cake?"
Perhaps because he was still a teenager who liked sweets, his face lit up whenever he saw sweet food. He was the complete opposite of Kendrick, who disliked desserts.
"No! It's just because I like it so much!"
Rincasta scooped a generous amount of chocolate cake and put it in his mouth.
"By the way, what did you do at Lanedict?"
He didn't get flustered by Stella's sudden question and swallowed the cake in his mouth first.
"I initially joined as a knight apprentice. But I was kicked out after a short while."
"May I ask the reason?"
"I can't hit people. I was worried that the other person might get seriously injured because of me, so I couldn't even swing the sword properly."
He did not know that he had been expelled from the Order for this reason. Stella poured him some milk and encouraged him to continue speaking. Rincasta moistened his throat with the milk and continued speaking.
"After that, I just became a servant doing miscellaneous tasks. Then, Sercia said she liked my appearance, so I became Lady Stella's gift."
For some reason, there was a reason he was so perceptive in his role as a servant. Stella watched his arm as he picked up the cake with a fork. Was it certainly because he had applied to be a knight? Unlike the other servants, he had muscles.
"Then, you must be able to do some swordsmanship?"
Rincasta shook his head.
"No. I'm really bad. If I had been even a little bit good, I wouldn't have been kicked out as an apprentice."
Rincasta, having finished eating the cake, left Stella's study still wearing an innocent smile. There was a cake stain on the corner of his mouth, but Stella, distracted by the letter she had just received, did not even think to point it out.
'Watch out for Kendrick...'
She wondered if she should tell Kendrick that she received this letter.
'Is he hiding something else from me?'
Naturally, the face of Lady Decrit came to mind. However, this was something she had already clarified once. She did not want to be misunderstood again. As she looked out the window with a troubled heart, she spotted Rincasta. He seemed to be arguing with two other servants. Stella rose to her feet and walked toward the garden. Fortunately, Rincasta and the servants did not notice Stella's presence. Holding her breath, she could hear voices faintly.
"It's because you guys are incompetent, so what am I supposed to do about it?"
Only Rincasta's shrill voice was heard particularly loudly. Unlike when he spoke in front of Stella, his tone was somewhat aggressive. As if angered by Rincasta's words, the two servants appeared to be getting angry.
"This arrogant bastard..."
"I wonder if Lady Stella knows that you are so two-faced?"
"If that were the case, Stella wouldn't have been particularly fond of this kid."
Several arguments went back and forth. Stella opened the window so that the children's voices could be heard better.
"So, if you're so clueless, why don't you at least learn some common sense? Stop badmouthing people who are minding their own business for no reason."
She glanced over and saw that the child arguing with Rincasta was the offspring of a Duke's servant, working at the estate just like their parents. She didn't know their exact names, but they were children whose faces she had memorized from seeing them often.
"Do you think a nobody like you is the same as me, who has served the Duke of Adrian's family for generations?"
Rincasta chuckled in disbelief.
"Stop just babbling, and if you're angry, bring it on."
The children responded to Rincasta's provocation with harsh words, but as if they had no real intention of fighting, they took small steps back and left. It was a sight Stella would not have known had she not happened to look out the window. After a moment of hesitation, Stella revealed herself to Rincasta.
"Lady Stella...!"
Flustered, Rincasta opened his eyes wide.
"Did you hear everything?"
Stella said nothing. Silence was an affirmation.
"Well... Lady Stella remembered my name and even gave me cake. So I guess those kids got jealous and ganged up on me. I just played along with them."
Stella wondered what to say, but simply walked away. She felt Rincasta's gaze sting. Right, peers can have that kind of power struggle. Stella tried to calm herself down.
However, she couldn't just stand by and watch Rincasta like this.
***
Evening came, and Kendrick returned.
"Honey."
'Are you looking unwell lately simply because of the accounting books?'
Stella bit her lower lip, debating whether or not to say the next thing. She tucked the letter she had received earlier that day, which was tucked between the pages of a book, back in so that the corners wouldn't stick out.
"Huh? What is it, Stella?"
After much thought, she said.
"I think there must be a reason why Mother sent Rincasta. I will keep Rincasta with me for the time being."
Kendrick was silent for a moment. He knew exactly what Stella had been thinking when she originally sent Rincasta to him. She wanted to keep him because she feared he would be abused if sent back to Ranedict, but since Kendrick would be displeased with that, she had sent him instead. However, as Kendrick bossed Rincasta around, he confirmed that he wasn't such a strange child after all.
"Yes, I understand."
Although his smile was excessively bright and he was good at controlling his expression, his nature seemed kind. At Kendrick's answer, Stella smiled gratefully. Kendrick's gaze shifted past Stella toward the window. It had been difficult to see a clear sky lately. Kendrick draped a blanket, brought by a servant, over Stella's shoulders. It was a light, warm, high-quality blanket.
"What is this blanket for?"
Dark clouds filled the sky and then vanished, and occasional showers fell. It was an unusually severe rainy season.
"The weather has been a bit strange lately. Be extra careful in case you catch a cold. You're not feeling well to begin with."
"Thank you."
[Don't trust Kendrick.]
The letter she had received earlier came to mind. She was able to hide her worried expression thanks to Kendrick holding her tightly in his arms.
'It's probably nothing.'
Stella thought the sender of this letter was either Rincasta or Anton Geron. Kendrick patted her back. Stella smiled leisurely and met Kendrick's eyes.
'I don't want to suspect this man anymore.'

Comments
Post a Comment