It was evening, not long after she returned home. Just as the sunset light began to filter through the curtains, Kendrick came back. Stella looked up to acknowledge him and went back to reading. She hadn't yet sorted out how to set Kendrick free.
"The... the child who said he wanted to be your second husband?"
Kendrick sat down next to Stella. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pressed his body close to hers. Stella's gaze was on her book, but all her attention was focused on Kendrick.
"Did you send him back?"
Stella slowly closed and opened her eyes.
"I gave that child a room. It seems like he will stay longer than I thought."
"Why?"
A faint chill ran through his voice.
"Mother had that photo. The photo of you with Lady Decrit."
Stella lowered Kendrick's arm wrapped around her waist, turned her body, and met his eyes.
"She knows your heart is with another woman. That is why she sent that child, intending to provoke jealousy to restore our relationship."
Kendrick's eyebrows twitched. He let out a sigh, looking troubled.
"If that's the case, it would be faster if I explained it."
Stella forced a smile and shook her head.
"It was no use."
Stella had already offered an explanation. However, Sercia had no intention of listening to it in the first place. Kendrick stared intently at Stella. It looked as though he was hoping she would ask him for help. Stella read Kendrick's expression.
"It's okay. I can still handle it."
"But you brought that child back, didn't you?"
Stella nodded. There was a reason she had brought Rincasta along. The first was that she was worried he might be harmed if she left him behind. The second was to keep him close and watch over him. Kendrick, unaware of Stella's thoughts, still wore a displeased expression.
"No. Send him again."
"Are you worried I might get a second husband?"
Kendrick looked as if he had been caught red-handed. Stella held back a chuckle and stroked Kendrick's cheek.
"What's the use of keeping that kid around? You should put him to work."
"Work?"
"If you're really worried, I'll send him to you. If there's any menial work to do, just make him do it. Just enough so he doesn't suffer too much."
Kendrick's expression softened a little. After all, he hadn't imagined he would end up bossing that kid around.
"They say he's too weak to even get accepted as a knight apprentice candidate. If you have time, may we have him participate in our Duke's Knight Order apprentices' training?"
Kendrick nodded at her explanation. He wasn't entirely enthusiastic, but he felt he could vaguely understand why Stella had brought the child along.
"Yes."
Stella smiled faintly at Kendrick's answer, which sounded like he was reluctantly agreeing.
The next morning, Stella immediately called Rincasta into the room.
"Good morning, Lady Stella."
He came to see her, still beaming. He gave a 90-degree bow to Kendrick, who was sitting with his legs crossed, and smiled sweetly. To think he smiled so innocently, even knowing that Kendrick didn't like him. He certainly wasn't an ordinary kid.
"I'm so happy that you called me first thing in the morning."
Stella intended to find out what Sercia was thinking when she sent this child here. However, knowing that Kendrick would obviously be bothered if she just kept him by her side, she had sent him to him for now.
"Say hello."
Stella pointed at Kendrick with her hand.
"He is someone you must serve from now on."
Rincasta blinked as if he couldn't understand the situation.
"I came as a gift for Lady Stella."
"Fine. You're my gift, so how I use you is up to me. I want you to guard the Duke's side in my place."
Stella gave a gentle eye smile.
"Go and help the Duke with his duties."
Rincasta let out a short sigh.
"Ah..."
"No?"
"No! I'll do my best!"
As soon as he finished speaking, Kendrick stood up first and strode forward. As he stood still in front of the door, Eincasta scurried over and opened it.
"Then, see you in the evening."
Only then did Kendrick greet Stella and leave to work. Rincasta also quietly observed the situation and followed Kendrick out of the room, and as soon as the two disappeared from view, Stella also stood up.
'Those two will be okay, right?'
After sending Rincasta to Kendrick, Stella went to see Harald. It was to talk about Kendrick's symptoms. His heart, which had been quiet for a while, had recently let out a tremendous roar again.
"Hmm... In that case, you could say the condition was improving but is worsening again."
"Again?"
"Yes. Did something happen to Kendrick in the meantime?"
The two biggest incidents were those. Visiting the scene with Roy because of suspicions that Kendrick was meeting Lady Decrit, and Rincasta was coming to say she would become his mistress.
'Come to think of it, it is strange that Roy left without saying anything.'
However, Roy didn't say much after that day.
'What did you hear back then?'
However, since she didn't know for sure, it was better to drop that idea. That leaves Rincasta.
'But...'
Rincasta's behavior wasn't just a little audacious. It was enough to surprise Kendrick.
"A boy came to visit. He said he would be my second husband."
"I'm sure that must have provoked Kendrick."
Stella nodded.
"If that is the case, Kendrick's symptoms worsening again could be a kind of way of asking to be acknowledged."
"Hmm... I'm struggling this much. I'm this anxious, this exhausted. Isn't it something like that?"
Stella returned to the bedroom after finishing the conversation up to this point.
Although it was just Doctor Harald's conjecture, it was quite credible. The love potion seemed to be deeply connected to the heart.
Worried, Stella peeked into Kendrick's office. The first thing she saw was cute Lara.
'Lara. I heard you had leg surgery; it looks like you're much better.'
Lately, it seemed Kendrick hadn't been bringing Lara into the bedroom; instead, he kept her at the office and then returned her to the veterinarians. Stella, delighted to see Lara after such a long time, opened the door a little wider. There, she saw Rincasta diligently massaging Lara's back.
'Yes?'
Stella silently watched the situation. After massaging Rincasta for a few minutes, Rincasta approached Kendrick, who was looking at documents.
"Your Excellency, I have finished the message you ordered. Lara looks wide awake now that her fatigue has worn off."
"Really? Then take her out to the hallway and play."
When told to take Rincasta and have him do the chores, it seemed he had made him Lara's playmate and attendant. Lara was panting and laughing happily in Rincasta's arms. Stella, finding Kendrick's subtle revenge cute, smiled slightly and was about to close the door again when she ran into Rincasta, who was bringing Lara out.
"Huh? Lady Stella."
When Rincasta called Stella, Kendrick also looked up. He looked here, stood up from his seat, and approached. Lara waved her legs happily to see Stella. Stella stroked Lara's head. Kendrick spoke to Rincasta.
"You go back in."
"Yes!"
Stella looked at him.
"You seem to be doing well."
"Did you come to see me, or did you come to see that child?"
She smiled shyly.
"Of course, I came because I wanted to see Kendrick."
Kendrick grabbed her wrist. He hadn't noticed it well in the bedroom because the lighting was dim, but coming outside, her thin body stood out particularly.
"It feels like your body is getting thinner and thinner."
"I guess it's because I'm busy."
In the past, he would have hoped Stella would take it easy. However, after hearing from Roy the reason why Stella is obsessed with the position of Imperial Writer, his mind changed. He came to earnestly hope that she would write better.
"How many fairy tales have you written so far?"
"I have three full-length novels and about ten short stories. I also have a few unfinished pieces."
Stella tilted her head. It was the first time Kendrick had asked about Stella's work in such detail.
"But why?"
"No. Just."
After a brief conversation, Stella and Kendrick parted ways again. She went to write, and Kendrick went back to work. He saw the face of Rincasta, who had peeked his head out, realizing the conversation was over. Kendrick felt uneasy whenever he saw that fresh, boyish face.
'How dare you say you would become Stella's second husband?'
Kendrick gestured to him with his chin and said.
"Go to the bookstore right now and find the bestsellers."
Kendrick also wanted to help Stella.
Ten days had passed since Rincasta had stayed at Adrian. So far, there was nothing suspicious. He seemed to be getting along well with Lara, following Kendrick's orders. Stella received Kendrick's permission and called Rincasta into her study.
"Rincasta. Don't you need a vacation?"
Watching where Rincasta headed on his day off. She intended to check if Rincasta had any contact with anyone else.
"Vacation?"
"Yeah. It's the age when you want to have fun."
However, Rincasta wore a sour expression.
"I never once rested, even when I was at Lanedict. So I don't even know what I'm supposed to do for fun."
Stella made a proposal to him once more.
"Then I'll give you some allowance and a vacation, so do you want to go have some fun?"
Rincasta shook his head.
"It's okay. I feel more comfortable helping out on Lady Stella and Lord Kendrick's side."
Even after doing all this, he refused, so it was hard for Stella to persuade her any further.
"Yes, then."
Stella had Rincasta organize the study. Thanks to Kendrick gifting her several sets of books, there was plenty to sort through. Rincasta, who had been diligently moving books, straightened his back as if he were tired. Then, as if something had suddenly occurred to him, he looked at Stella and asked.
"By the way, did you throw away the crane I gave you last time?"
"No. It's safe over there."
Cranes folded by Rincasta. About five thousand of them were in a container in Stella's study. However, since it was in a secluded corner, they were not immediately noticeable. There was a small shelf next to the bathroom inside the study, and it was filled with letters and drawings received from the children at the orphanage.
"Why did you move it here instead of keeping it in the room?"
"Ah, I keep things worth keeping in my study for personal use."
"Storage..." he muttered briefly. She could feel his attention, which had been focused on moving the books, constantly drifting toward where the crane was.
"Do you want to go take a look?"
"Is that okay?"
"Yes."
Stella explained the items displayed on the shelf. Rincasta looked around the place in wonder.
"Don't read the letter. The kids wrote it just for me to read."
"All right."
Rincasta still smiled brightly and stroked the container holding his paper crane. Then, as if he had discovered something, his expression changed.
"This painting is...?"
"A child at the daycare center I run drew this for me."
It was a drawing Lina had made as a thank you for the bracelet Stella had given her. Rincasta's gaze did not leave the drawing.
"Why? Do you want it?"
"No, it's not like that."
He stroked the painting with a smile.
"Someone I know also drew a picture like this."
"The... the child who said he wanted to be your second husband?"
Kendrick sat down next to Stella. He wrapped his arms around her waist and pressed his body close to hers. Stella's gaze was on her book, but all her attention was focused on Kendrick.
"Did you send him back?"
Stella slowly closed and opened her eyes.
"I gave that child a room. It seems like he will stay longer than I thought."
"Why?"
A faint chill ran through his voice.
"Mother had that photo. The photo of you with Lady Decrit."
Stella lowered Kendrick's arm wrapped around her waist, turned her body, and met his eyes.
"She knows your heart is with another woman. That is why she sent that child, intending to provoke jealousy to restore our relationship."
Kendrick's eyebrows twitched. He let out a sigh, looking troubled.
"If that's the case, it would be faster if I explained it."
Stella forced a smile and shook her head.
"It was no use."
Stella had already offered an explanation. However, Sercia had no intention of listening to it in the first place. Kendrick stared intently at Stella. It looked as though he was hoping she would ask him for help. Stella read Kendrick's expression.
"It's okay. I can still handle it."
"But you brought that child back, didn't you?"
Stella nodded. There was a reason she had brought Rincasta along. The first was that she was worried he might be harmed if she left him behind. The second was to keep him close and watch over him. Kendrick, unaware of Stella's thoughts, still wore a displeased expression.
"No. Send him again."
"Are you worried I might get a second husband?"
Kendrick looked as if he had been caught red-handed. Stella held back a chuckle and stroked Kendrick's cheek.
"What's the use of keeping that kid around? You should put him to work."
"Work?"
"If you're really worried, I'll send him to you. If there's any menial work to do, just make him do it. Just enough so he doesn't suffer too much."
Kendrick's expression softened a little. After all, he hadn't imagined he would end up bossing that kid around.
"They say he's too weak to even get accepted as a knight apprentice candidate. If you have time, may we have him participate in our Duke's Knight Order apprentices' training?"
Kendrick nodded at her explanation. He wasn't entirely enthusiastic, but he felt he could vaguely understand why Stella had brought the child along.
"Yes."
Stella smiled faintly at Kendrick's answer, which sounded like he was reluctantly agreeing.
***
The next morning, Stella immediately called Rincasta into the room.
"Good morning, Lady Stella."
He came to see her, still beaming. He gave a 90-degree bow to Kendrick, who was sitting with his legs crossed, and smiled sweetly. To think he smiled so innocently, even knowing that Kendrick didn't like him. He certainly wasn't an ordinary kid.
"I'm so happy that you called me first thing in the morning."
Stella intended to find out what Sercia was thinking when she sent this child here. However, knowing that Kendrick would obviously be bothered if she just kept him by her side, she had sent him to him for now.
"Say hello."
Stella pointed at Kendrick with her hand.
"He is someone you must serve from now on."
Rincasta blinked as if he couldn't understand the situation.
"I came as a gift for Lady Stella."
"Fine. You're my gift, so how I use you is up to me. I want you to guard the Duke's side in my place."
Stella gave a gentle eye smile.
"Go and help the Duke with his duties."
Rincasta let out a short sigh.
"Ah..."
"No?"
"No! I'll do my best!"
As soon as he finished speaking, Kendrick stood up first and strode forward. As he stood still in front of the door, Eincasta scurried over and opened it.
"Then, see you in the evening."
Only then did Kendrick greet Stella and leave to work. Rincasta also quietly observed the situation and followed Kendrick out of the room, and as soon as the two disappeared from view, Stella also stood up.
'Those two will be okay, right?'
After sending Rincasta to Kendrick, Stella went to see Harald. It was to talk about Kendrick's symptoms. His heart, which had been quiet for a while, had recently let out a tremendous roar again.
"Hmm... In that case, you could say the condition was improving but is worsening again."
"Again?"
"Yes. Did something happen to Kendrick in the meantime?"
The two biggest incidents were those. Visiting the scene with Roy because of suspicions that Kendrick was meeting Lady Decrit, and Rincasta was coming to say she would become his mistress.
'Come to think of it, it is strange that Roy left without saying anything.'
However, Roy didn't say much after that day.
'What did you hear back then?'
However, since she didn't know for sure, it was better to drop that idea. That leaves Rincasta.
'But...'
Rincasta's behavior wasn't just a little audacious. It was enough to surprise Kendrick.
"A boy came to visit. He said he would be my second husband."
"I'm sure that must have provoked Kendrick."
Stella nodded.
"If that is the case, Kendrick's symptoms worsening again could be a kind of way of asking to be acknowledged."
“What do you want me to know?”
Stella returned to the bedroom after finishing the conversation up to this point.
'Did his desire for me to understand how hard it was for him actually make Kendrick's condition worse?'
***
Worried, Stella peeked into Kendrick's office. The first thing she saw was cute Lara.
'Lara. I heard you had leg surgery; it looks like you're much better.'
Lately, it seemed Kendrick hadn't been bringing Lara into the bedroom; instead, he kept her at the office and then returned her to the veterinarians. Stella, delighted to see Lara after such a long time, opened the door a little wider. There, she saw Rincasta diligently massaging Lara's back.
'Yes?'
Stella silently watched the situation. After massaging Rincasta for a few minutes, Rincasta approached Kendrick, who was looking at documents.
"Your Excellency, I have finished the message you ordered. Lara looks wide awake now that her fatigue has worn off."
"Really? Then take her out to the hallway and play."
When told to take Rincasta and have him do the chores, it seemed he had made him Lara's playmate and attendant. Lara was panting and laughing happily in Rincasta's arms. Stella, finding Kendrick's subtle revenge cute, smiled slightly and was about to close the door again when she ran into Rincasta, who was bringing Lara out.
"Huh? Lady Stella."
When Rincasta called Stella, Kendrick also looked up. He looked here, stood up from his seat, and approached. Lara waved her legs happily to see Stella. Stella stroked Lara's head. Kendrick spoke to Rincasta.
"You go back in."
"Yes!"
Stella looked at him.
"You seem to be doing well."
"Did you come to see me, or did you come to see that child?"
She smiled shyly.
"Of course, I came because I wanted to see Kendrick."
Kendrick grabbed her wrist. He hadn't noticed it well in the bedroom because the lighting was dim, but coming outside, her thin body stood out particularly.
"It feels like your body is getting thinner and thinner."
"I guess it's because I'm busy."
In the past, he would have hoped Stella would take it easy. However, after hearing from Roy the reason why Stella is obsessed with the position of Imperial Writer, his mind changed. He came to earnestly hope that she would write better.
"How many fairy tales have you written so far?"
"I have three full-length novels and about ten short stories. I also have a few unfinished pieces."
Stella tilted her head. It was the first time Kendrick had asked about Stella's work in such detail.
"But why?"
"No. Just."
After a brief conversation, Stella and Kendrick parted ways again. She went to write, and Kendrick went back to work. He saw the face of Rincasta, who had peeked his head out, realizing the conversation was over. Kendrick felt uneasy whenever he saw that fresh, boyish face.
'How dare you say you would become Stella's second husband?'
Kendrick gestured to him with his chin and said.
"Go to the bookstore right now and find the bestsellers."
Kendrick also wanted to help Stella.
***
Ten days had passed since Rincasta had stayed at Adrian. So far, there was nothing suspicious. He seemed to be getting along well with Lara, following Kendrick's orders. Stella received Kendrick's permission and called Rincasta into her study.
"Rincasta. Don't you need a vacation?"
Watching where Rincasta headed on his day off. She intended to check if Rincasta had any contact with anyone else.
"Vacation?"
"Yeah. It's the age when you want to have fun."
However, Rincasta wore a sour expression.
"I never once rested, even when I was at Lanedict. So I don't even know what I'm supposed to do for fun."
Stella made a proposal to him once more.
"Then I'll give you some allowance and a vacation, so do you want to go have some fun?"
Rincasta shook his head.
"It's okay. I feel more comfortable helping out on Lady Stella and Lord Kendrick's side."
Even after doing all this, he refused, so it was hard for Stella to persuade her any further.
"Yes, then."
Stella had Rincasta organize the study. Thanks to Kendrick gifting her several sets of books, there was plenty to sort through. Rincasta, who had been diligently moving books, straightened his back as if he were tired. Then, as if something had suddenly occurred to him, he looked at Stella and asked.
"By the way, did you throw away the crane I gave you last time?"
"No. It's safe over there."
Cranes folded by Rincasta. About five thousand of them were in a container in Stella's study. However, since it was in a secluded corner, they were not immediately noticeable. There was a small shelf next to the bathroom inside the study, and it was filled with letters and drawings received from the children at the orphanage.
"Why did you move it here instead of keeping it in the room?"
"Ah, I keep things worth keeping in my study for personal use."
"Storage..." he muttered briefly. She could feel his attention, which had been focused on moving the books, constantly drifting toward where the crane was.
"Do you want to go take a look?"
"Is that okay?"
"Yes."
Stella explained the items displayed on the shelf. Rincasta looked around the place in wonder.
"Don't read the letter. The kids wrote it just for me to read."
"All right."
Rincasta still smiled brightly and stroked the container holding his paper crane. Then, as if he had discovered something, his expression changed.
"This painting is...?"
"A child at the daycare center I run drew this for me."
It was a drawing Lina had made as a thank you for the bracelet Stella had given her. Rincasta's gaze did not leave the drawing.
"Why? Do you want it?"
"No, it's not like that."
He stroked the painting with a smile.
"Someone I know also drew a picture like this."

Comments
Post a Comment