TSFHA - Chapter 155



After Max's confession attack, he disappeared somewhere with a bitter expression on his face.

...it's an emergency!

Kali, Max, and two members have both temporarily escaped!

But even at this very moment, the deadline for the group project is approaching!

I said to my crew members, who were shocked and had their mouths wide open.

“Let’s do it among ourselves for now.”

***

In the afternoon of the same day.

Nike, who was in the palace, received a sudden telegram from Vania.

"Prince, this is Vania. I'm in big trouble right now. Please help me. Can you come to Belzer without anyone knowing?"

An urgent voice.

Nike was confused, but Vania had no other explanation.

***

It had been five days since the Crown Prince had requested help, and four days since I had sent a message to Nike.

“I don’t think he’ll come.”

I was worried.

If you set off as soon as you hear my voice and keep running without stopping, Nike will arrive in Belzer by today.

"I told you he's coming? If you tell him through the Crown Prince, he won't come."

The content of the speech was dictated by Ryan.

I lied a lot, saying it was an emergency and asking for help.

"No matter how much I think about it, the Third Prince seems determined to figure things out on his own. But if the Crown Prince were to come to us and beg for help, would we listen?"

Ryan had a point.

If you go through the Crown Prince in the middle, it can be a huge waste of time.

So I had no choice but to send the message as Ryan had told me to.

“I said he was worried because you were talking like shit, so he came right away. Trust me.”

Is that really true?

If he doesn't come, I'll feel embarrassed...

Anyway, we're waiting for Nike. We can't meet at the subjugation site in two weeks without prior consultation.

“When the Third Prince comes, let him know our plan, and we can talk a little bit... Phew.”

Ryan muttered and then sighed deeply.

This is our training ground, where we have been attending practice for four days straight.

Since the day of their childhood friend's confession attack, Kali and Max have been diligently participating in their group projects, but they haven't said a word to each other.

“If they don’t communicate like that, we’ll all be ruined.”

“Hey, they’re both veterans, so no way.”

“Have you memorized all the passwords?”

“Ah, just memorize a little more.”

I'm studying something that's not even in my field.

Not only did I study everything, including the types of demons and formations, but I also memorized the codes for each and every emergency that could occur.

A battlefield where every second is a matter of life and death. The goal is to send a message to Ryan as quickly and efficiently as possible.

“Look here!”

At that time, the prince of shining beauty passed by the training ground and called out to us.

It looks like he went for a walk after lunch.

“Vania, are you busy?”

“Um, no!”

“If you’re not busy, why don’t you take a walk with me? I have something to tell you.”

“Oh? Yes!”

I was typing a password on the dirt floor of the training ground when I suddenly got up.

***

A walk along a quiet path.

Merchen asked first.

“How did you decide to resolve your concerns?”

"Oh, actually, I don't know exactly what problems will arise, so I can't solve them in advance. So I'm just going to tackle them myself."

"How?"

“I’m going to go with Dad when the monster comes out this time.”

“What, what?”

Merchen's eyes widened.

"You're going? You're going straight into the middle of a place teeming with monsters?"

"Yes. But don't worry. I'll sneak in secretly, so it's not dangerous at all."

I told him so, but Merchen seemed shocked.

“...Is there anything I can help you with?”

"Yes."

"...Really?"

"Yes."

“...If you need help, just let me know.”

“No need.”

“Vania.”

Merchen stopped. Then, with a deep sigh, he spoke.

"Actually, I came first because it seemed like you had no intention of speaking. I clearly thought you needed me. Was I mistaken?"

“Oh, uh... yes. It’s okay.”

Now I understand. I was wondering why Merchen was suddenly saying something like this.

'You read my expression that day!'

Five days ago, I looked at Merchen with burning eyes, thinking about asking him for help, but it seems my feelings were read.

I said with an apologetic smile.

"I was a little crazy. I did indeed think about asking the Prince, but no matter how much I thought about it, it just didn't feel like something a human would do."

“...? Why are you going that far again?”

Merchen grabbed my shoulder.

"Vania, I know that the monster inside me can command smaller monsters. Perhaps we can stop the monster crisis?"

“That’s true, but why should the Prince stop it?”

"What?"

Merchen was dumbfounded.

"You must practice morality. You said that those with power should know how to use it properly?"

“Aha! But not the Prince. You’re a different case.”

“What’s different?”

"It's different. People with special abilities can catch monsters with a snap of their fingers. It's not a burden, so it's only natural to step forward."

I stopped talking and sighed.

“But the Prince has to intentionally injure himself every time to get Ratan out.”

“Anyway, when I come back, all my wounds will heal.”

“Yes, but I’m not feeling well.”

For a moment, Merchen stopped.

“There’s no way a normal human being would be sane enough to destroy their own body.”

“...”

"You deliberately get hurt, endure pain, injure yourself thinking you'll get better anyway, and then self-harm again once you've recovered. Then, at some point, you might even think that death won't be so hard."

“I’m fine.”

"How would the Prince know if it would be okay or not? You're never used your body like that before."

Using Merchen, no, Ratan, made things easier. But there was a problem.

"Ratan can command other monsters and kill them with ease. With him, the damage we take from monsters is reduced by more than half."

“Yeah, I know.”

"But the problem is, it won't end with just one time. Once you show Prince Ratan's power, he'll continue to be used."

Yes. To preserve Merchen's ordinary happiness, Ratan must not be revealed.

Just because he didn't fall into the hands of those with superpowers, do you think Merchen won't be exploited?

No. Even if he falls into the hands of the imperial family, the ending of Merchen is that of a battle slave.

Before the return, he had to fight for the greed of those with superpowers, and this time, he will have no choice but to follow the imperial orders that demand sacrifices for the greater good.

"Vania, think rationally. What would be more helpful to this world?"

“I’ve thought about it rationally dozens of times already, Your Highness.”

If only rational judgment had been made, it would have been right to send Merchen to the battlefield.

“But the world doesn’t always revolve around reason.”

"I'm trash. I have absolutely no sense of justice. I'd rather pretend I don't know than kill you and save a hundred people... What should I do?"

Something Ryan once said to me.

It's stuck in my head, and I can never forget it.

“Cause? Sounds good. But I don’t like it.”

I feel the same way as Ryan.

“If it were a stranger who didn’t know me, I might push him to sacrifice himself for the greater good.”

I'm not some saint, isn't that just how it is for all humans?

I have a selfishness that puts the happiness of my family and my people first.

"But I don't want that to happen to my family. I just want the Prince to live a long, happy life without any worries."

Merchen's eyes widened.

He asked hesitantly, his expression surprised.

“...Vania, do you think of me that... close to you?”

"Yes?"

"We haven't spent that much time together yet. And it's not like I'm related to you by blood."

“What the heck is this? Didn’t the Prince think we were your family?”

“Oh, no! I think of you as family!”

Merchen, whose ears were red, added hastily, unable to meet my eyes.

"I'm left alone in the world, so you guys are the only ones I can rely on. So I felt close to you faster than I expected, but it was a little embarrassing."

“Why?”

“It’s only been a short year compared to the number of days I’ve lived, but I wonder if I can call you my family...”

...Oh my. That's what I was thinking.

“Me too, Prince!”

"Yes?"

"I left home! I was a loner until I met my dad and brother, Revan. Shortly after, I started living with the Prince. Judging by the time we spent together, the Prince is as close to me as my dad."

“...”

"And what does the time we spent together matter? We're going to spend the rest of our lives together anyway. The Prince has already become so precious to me."

Merchen stared at me for a long time. His eyes began to redden.

Suddenly, he turns his head away.

"Oh, the Prince is crying! How precious to be a handsome man who cries!"

“No, don’t tease me.”

We played around for a while. Then, with wet eyes and a smile, Merchen spoke to me.

“Thank you so much for saying that, Vania.”

“What~”

“But there’s something you don’t know.”

"Yes?"

"I'm not necessarily willing to sacrifice myself for the greater good. Working is monstrous, so I don't even consider it a sacrifice."

He suddenly stepped back, facing me, and put some distance between us.

He made a gesture telling me not to come near him, then threw the robe he had been holding to the side.

“For you, not for the cause.”

I sighed as I watched Merchen continue to distance himself.

“I know what you want to do, Prince.”

Actually, I was suspicious from the beginning because of his strange behavior.

Merchen's left forearm. It's wearing a holster, like those worn by mercenaries. A dagger is attached to it.

Besides, he brought a robe too.

Since all the clothes will be torn once he turns into Ratan, I guess that means he wants to wear those when his come back.

"You're precious to me. I'm too embarrassed to say it, but I consider you family, and I'd do anything for you. If I could help you, I'd help you. If you needed to do something dangerous, I'd do it for you."

“...Your Highness.”

"I know you need the monster right now, and that having it will save you from suffering. I want you to talk to the monster to see how I can help you."

After a while, Merchen, who had moved far away from me, pulled out the dagger that was stuck in his holster.

And of course me.

The Eyes of the Mirror - The Shackles of Bondage

I tied him up before he committed suicide.

“I’m sorry, but if the Prince runs, I run...!”

“Oh, really?”

...uh?

But at that moment, I was dumbfounded.

Merchen's left forearm with a holster.

The white shirt was instantly soaked with red blood.

The drawn sword is in Merchen's hand, and he hasn't even harmed himself yet.

“Me, me. Ugh.”

The Prince said with a pained expression and a faint smile.

“I’m flying faster than you...”


Previous                Next



Comments