RAMHM - Chapter 69 < Thinking of Changing My Husband >


As soon as Doris received my letter, she sent an official document saying that she would come to pay her respects to Grand Duchess Adrienne, and then she left the palace herself, accompanied by the Crown Prince. 

The Crown Prince, who had always looked uncomfortable with Doris, seemed surprised when I told him that I had something to say. However, he was still a moment away, and suddenly opened the first envelope of documents I handed him, and a look of shock appeared in his once gentle eyes. Doris, who was looking at the documents from the side, was equally shocked, but soon exchanged glances with me, unable to hide her excitement. It seemed that she could not hold back her mouth from tearing, unable to believe that Blie Acacia had done so well without being asked to do something. The more the Crown Prince’s face distorted, Doris bit her lips to keep herself from laughing.

The Crown Prince’s flawless white hand went to the second envelope I held out. As he took them out and read them one by one, his barely maintained facial expression changed moment by moment. The first was the fact that Noevian had deliberately sent rebels and monsters to the West. The second was the envelope containing the fact that he had ‘created’ them and sent them. The Crown Prince, who had not blinked as if he had stopped breathing, raised his head in surprise when Doris lightly touched his arm. I met the Crown Prince’s eyes, who had fallen into silent despair.

“I need time to think, to think.”

“Your Highness! Can’t you see it with your own eyes? What on earth has this royal family member done behind the scenes! And to do such a thing in my hometown of the West, of all places! I can’t believe it. If my father finds out...”

The expression on the Crown Prince’s face became even more shocked at the word ‘father’ coming out of Doris’ mouth. He must have been under severe pressure from the Duke of Castagna. I already knew the Crown Prince’s current situation in detail through Noura. The moment the Duke found out about this, it was obvious that there would be a bloody uproar within the Crown Prince’s faction. 

Bardenaldo, who had barely managed to place the documents on the table with trembling hands, quickly wiped his face. It seemed like he was trying to come to his senses somehow. I, who had been watching silently, met Doris’ gaze telling me to do something and opened my mouth heavily.

“Your Highness. I think His Highness needs some time to think.”

“Blie!”

“He is not a commoner, but the Emperor’s younger brother and His Highness’s uncle. He has great influence on His Highness’s power, so it won’t be easy to ally him with the rebels and get rid of him.”

Bardenaldo nodded slowly as if he was a little comforted by my affectionate voice, and drank the cold tea. Still, he shook his head several times as if he still hadn’t come to his senses. Doris furrowed her brows slightly and then followed the Crown Prince’s rise from his seat. If the Crown Prince ever took Noevian’s side again, she would shake his soul.

“Your Highness, please finish paying your respects to the Grand Duchess and slowly return to the palace.”

“Your Highness. After seeing this, you won’t be going to discuss it with the Grand Duke, will you?”

“Doris.”

The Crown Prince called her by name. His voice was so quiet that Doris flinched.

“This is a grave matter that could throw this empire into great chaos. As long as I remain Crown Prince, something like this must never happen again.”

We simultaneously held our breath at his firm voice. The Crown Prince looked up at the ceiling with a deep sigh, then suddenly turned his gaze to me.

“...I can’t help but say thank you. Regardless of your intentions, I will never forget the part where you revealed a truth that I could have lived my entire life unaware of.”

The Crown Prince spoke with great sincerity. Common sense would have thought that the best scenario for me would be to just bury this matter and live a life of luxury as a Grand Duchess. He bowed his head slightly toward me, which was unusual, and left the annex with a solemn expression. 

Gaspard followed him from the door with a bewildered expression. Doris, who had been standing there staring at him for a moment, sat down refreshingly. She looked very relieved. Not only Noevian, who had been a thorn in her side but even the Crown Prince had been caught in great weakness, so she couldn't hide her smirk as if she already had the world in her hands.

“Ahhhh-. Blie. I didn’t think you would do this well. How refreshing. Perhaps Blie will soon feel the same way when she sees the fall of the Grand Duke. How about a toast between the ladies?”

Doris opened the champagne bottle that was on the table as a decoration with the vase. The maid who came out of the palace with her reached out for the bottle in shock, but she stopped her lightly and poured it into a glass. The champagne, which was just for decoration, was lukewarm and tasteless, but Doris drank it very sweetly and poured me another glass. I toasted and drank the champagne, which was still lukewarm and tasteless.

“I don’t know what decision His Highness the Crown Prince will make. I thought that if I showed him something like this, he would immediately summon the Grand Duke and press him.”

“Huh-huh-. Blie. You’re saying that because you don’t know His Highness the Crown Prince very well yet.”

Doris laughed wickedly, filled her glass with her own hand, and took a sip.

“I don’t have the stomach to have everything, but I have a husband who has so many useless affections. How tiring must it be? If he just ignores this after seeing this, don’t worry, I won’t let it go this time.”

She looked rather pleased. I paused for a moment, unable to understand, and tilted my head. Was that the only reaction she got after finding out that her husband had sent a rebel army to the West? I thought Doris would be a little more angry.

“Oh, I’m only telling Blie.”

She moved closer to me, telling me it was a secret from the other maids. Even so, I couldn't get too close because there was a table between us.

“If he doesn’t abandon the Grand Duke like this, I’m thinking of changing my husband.”

“!”

I barely placed the champagne glass on the table and stared at her. Doris stared at my face and raised the corners of her lips. What she really wanted to say seemed to be something she was going to say from now on, rather than thank you.

“For example, what about His Highness the Second Prince of Rhodnes?”

I had to grit my teeth before a sigh came out. What kind of nonsense is Doris trying to say now?

“Lord Rhodnes has accomplished too much to be discriminated against based on the color of his eyes. Especially in my homeland to the west. Didn’t the Grand Duke give him wings out of greed? Furthermore, he is also the direct descendant of the late Empress Letina. It seems that my father had the 9th Prince of Elacon in mind rather than Lord Rhodnes, but I’m not sure. Someone more manly than such a young Prince...”

“What are you talking about, Your Highness?”

When Doris' face, which had been smiling brightly until just now, became clouded, I was so flustered that I cut her off. Fortunately, Doris didn't seem to mind my behavior. However, she seemed to have observed exactly how I would react to her words. Doris, who had been staring at me as if she could see through me, grinned like a crazy woman.

“I’m joking. But that’s a possibility. It all depends on whether His Highness the Crown Prince abandons the Grand Duke or not. It’s up to His Highness to decide whether to abandon the Grand Duke and go higher or to die in a sinking ship with the Grand Duke. There’s no way Castagna’s daughter would be with a husband who can’t even make that kind of judgment.”

Doris emptied the champagne glass she was holding lightly and stood up lightly. I didn't even think about following her. Doris, who was wearing furs and served by a maid, was smiling with a face flushed with alcohol.

“Oh, by the way, I was a visitor today. I feel bad because the visitor seems to have opened a champagne bottle to congratulate me and left. Blie, please write this in the guestbook instead.”

I raised my trembling head.

“You look great, Adrienne Trovica.”

Doris continued to speak, looking straight into my face as if Adrienne were alive.

“It’s useless once you’re dead.”

Even after Doris left, saying she was done seeing me off, I couldn’t get up from my seat for a long time. Until Marie and Jonah, who had been standing outside, came and loitered around me, I thought over and over what Doris had said. Seeing Doris express her hostility toward the dead Adrienne without reservation was, in a way, something I gained. The fact that she showed me her true face, who had been a pretty decent Crown Princess, meant that her trust in me had increased. 

However... If the Crown Prince can’t bear to abandon his uncle, then why don’t we just change her husband?

'You can make Rhodnes your husband?'

My hands were shaking. Just thinking about Rhodnes standing next to Doris with a gloomy expression was heartbreaking. I knew he wouldn’t be easily defeated, but on the other hand, I thought that Doris and the Duke of Castagna could do that if they wanted to. Rhodnes couldn’t get involved in this dirty filth any longer.

'Everything depends on the Crown Prince's decision?'

The Crown Prince needs the power of the West. However, the Crown Prince cannot let go of his uncle because of his affection. If this level of pressure is not enough...

“Jonah, call Annie to the Grand Duchess’ office immediately.”

“The office?”

“To the dead Grand Duchess’ office.”

*** 

Annie was dying these days. She had never thought that living like a mouse in the Grand Duke's residence, where she had always been so active, would be so suffocating. The only good thing was that she didn't have to work in the hardest laundry room. And the damned Countess Acacia wasn't looking for her.

'You said you wanted to use it for something big.'

Annie was very scared because she had been locked in the closet for a long time, but she was also worried because the person who said she would use her for something big was keeping her mouth shut and pretending not to see her. It was a strange ambivalence. She was scared and didn't want to go near her, but when she said she would use her for something big and pretended not to see her, she felt impatient.

'I wonder if that woman will really become the Grand Duchess.'

The famous second Prince, the Grand Duke, and now the Crown Prince and Crown Princess. Seeing her meet the woman in person under the pretext of paying her respects, it seems that her confidence is not completely vain. 

Since she couldn’t go around here and there, it had been quite some time since she had been able to report to the Duke of Castagna. Annie, who had been chewing her nails, soon pressed the seal of the Grand Duke hidden deep in her bosom onto her clothes. How many imaginations had she had as she pressed this seal onto a blank piece of paper? She had fantasized countless times that if she could become the Duke of Castagna’s right-hand man, do as he says, and sleep with him when the Grand Duke is drunk, this seal could be hers. 

She knew that Blie Acacia’s origins were not good, and even though she had fallen, there was no reason why she, who had once been a noble, could be bad. She threw away the rag she had been pretending to clean, but she heard a sound.

“Annie. Madam is calling.”

She was that woman's young maid.

“You, are you short-spoken?”

“Is there any reason for this?”

Jonah was quite a courageous child. She was so shocked that she had been fooled by her cute face and underestimated her. She followed her, glaring at the head of the small maid, and felt a sense of discomfort. She was standing in front of the dead Grand Duchess's office.

“Why here...?”

“Come in and take a look.”

Jonah opened the door with such ease and winked at her. This place, which was always locked, was opened without the owner's permission, and that too.

“You came, Annie.”

The woman she had been thinking about was sitting in the office with a surprisingly upright posture. She was talking about the office with the butler, but did she really take over the office of the dead Grand Duchess? 

As soon as Annie had that thought, the door closed behind her, and when she came to her senses with a start, Blie had already come up to her. Annie, who had been startled without realizing it, took a step back, and the feeling of the cold door against her back gave her goosebumps. And then she held her breath at the woman’s next words.

“How long are you going to hold the Grand Duchess’ seal?”


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments