RAMHM - Chapter 61 < Roan's Secret >


In the end, Rhodnes pretended to give up and lay down on the guest room bed. Neil, who had been looking at his master who seemed peaceful at a time when a lot was going on due to the Baroness Kuroseda incident, forced a smile when Rhodnes looked at him and left the guest room. 

I sent Neil out and leaned against the door to watch Rhodnes. He covered his eyes with his arm in embarrassment and exhaled deeply for a long time.

“You said you’ve never had a ‘minor’ illness like a stomachache?”

“...What you gave me wasn’t trivial.”

"Your Highness."

“What you gave me was not trivial, was it?”

Although I didn't mean to suggest that he was being condescending in this situation, Rhodnes responded quite earnestly.

“Then I guess I’ll have to stay by your side since you’re sick after eating my ‘great’ cookies.”

The eyes that had been covered by the arm peeked out. It was heartbreaking to see his eyes reddening without even telling me where exactly it hurt. 

Knock knock. 

I felt a vibration in my back and opened the door, and there was Jonah.

“Madam, Madame Leblaix has arrived.”

“Oh, is the date already that much?”

“I’ve already invited her to the reception room, but should I tell her to go back since there are guests?”

“No. I have a prior engagement and I have something to say, so I’ll go now.”

As I closed the door after Jonah answered vigorously and disappeared, I felt a cold gaze. Rhodnes, who had completely lowered his arms from his eyes, pulled the blanket up to his eyes and stared at me intently. It was a little funny to me that if I took that blanket away, his chubby lips would come out.

“An important guest has arrived. I’ll be back soon.”

It seemed like he had something to say, but as I continued to stare, Rhodnes nodded almost imperceptibly and closed his eyes.

*** 

When I headed to the reception room, everything was already set up. Madame visited the mansion at least once a week to make me clothes, and today was that day. As soon as I entered, Madame’s expression brightened, and she dismissed all the staff members who had come with her, her eyes sparkled until I took my seat.

“I think you have a more important guest than me. It is an honor, Ma’am.”

“We need to make employees more disciplined about their mouths.”

“I guessed it because the Imperial Knights were standing guard at the main gate, the servants were terrified, and the lady’s maid was going up and down the third floor where the guest rooms were.”

“Madam, you might have a talent for something like a private detective.”

“Oh my, actually, it was a dream I had when I was little.”

Madam, who had become close enough to exchange silly jokes, laughed and smiled secretly.

“I also read gossip magazines often, so I’ve been keeping a journal of Madam’s stories these days. I’ve also been watching your love life from up close, haven’t I?”

“Madame, there's actually a reason why I made you wait for the Second Prince and came out here.”

Madame's lips, which had been talking excitedly, suddenly stopped. As her eyes, open in confusion, stared at me, I quietly opened my mouth.

“I may not be able to serve as the Crown Princess’ maid for the time being. That’s why I’m going to ask Madame to check up on the Crown Princess’s current situation and the surrounding activities whenever you enter the palace.”

“Suddenly? Did something go wrong with Her Highness the Crown Princess...?”

“I have some news that I would like you to keep quiet about.”

Madame suddenly got up and moved to the seat next to me. As her sparkling eyes drew closer, I lowered my voice as if I had been waiting.

“I have been selected as the next Grand Duchess.”

Madam, who had been rolling her eyes as if to ask what I meant, widened her eyes as if she understood the meaning of those words.

“A, are you talking about Grand Duchess Trovika?”

The title of Grand Duchess in the Empire was the only title, so it was the correct answer. When I nodded slightly, Madame covered her mouth with her hand, which had all sorts of jewels on its nails. However, the size of her sparkling eyes had grown much larger than before, so I could easily guess how surprised she was.

“That, that, that, then... Madam's second marriage partner is His Highness the Grand Duke of Trovika, and your lover is His Highness the Second Prince of Rhodnes?!”

“Well, that’s what it is. For now.”

I thought I heard a silent scream. Madame let out a loud moan and came closer to me with a flushed face. She wiped her hand that had been covering her mouth with a handkerchief and then held my hand, which was neatly placed on my lap, tightly so that it did not hurt.

“I have something to tell you, too. In fact, thanks to you, our clothing store sales have increased significantly in the past month. Rumors that you are the second Prince’s lover appear in the gossip magazines periodically, so your style is often mentioned.”

“I remember hearing that last time.”

“Perhaps if Madam can capture not only the Second Prince but also His Highness the Grand Duke of Trovika and ascend to the position of Grand Duchess, sales will increase even more!”

Leblaix took out the notebook she had brought along and showed it to me. It was a table summarizing the increased profits. At first glance, it was clear that there was a big difference from before.

“I’ve heard a lot of compliments about the artistic quality of my dresses, but I had the image that only the most high-class people would buy them. But thanks to Madam, my customer base has expanded a lot. So I’m thinking of opening a branch this time.”

“Madam’s reputation has already grown, so don’t say such things.”

“That’s why I decided to share the profits from this branch with Madam and really promote you as my muse.”

To see if she meant it, she opened up the briefcase she always carried and saw that there were some papers that looked like contracts inside.

“But such great news... Congratulations! Is there anything else I can help you with? Now that you’ve reached such a high position, I don’t know if you can be my muse.”

While Madam was fumbling around, I held her hand.

“It’s enough for you to deliver news while I’m not working as a maid. We help each other, right? And the position of Grand Duchess is only an internal one, not a set one, so don’t get too excited.”

“Even if you don’t become the Grand Duchess, Madam is already becoming more and more famous. The moment you become involved with His Highness the Grand Duke, you will become even more famous.”

Madame's eyes lit up. I smiled and decided to say what I had been thinking about for a while.

“So, I have an idea that I think we could try out this time when you make clothes for Her Highness the Crown Princess and myself. What do you think?”

“What is it?”

Her eyes sparkled with an expression that said she would accept anything.

“How about adding a lot of jewels? Or maybe something like a jewel craft?”

“...Jewels?”

In Ronta, jewels were mainly placed on the center of the chest or on the hem of the skirt, because jewels were expensive.

“I believe that if you just present the material like this, Madam, inspiration will come to you.”

“Of course, Ma’am.”

Madame clenched her fists as if she didn't want to disappoint.

“And there’s a jewelry store I’d like to recommend...”

“Just speak.”

“I wonder if we could get supplies from the jewelry shop of Countess Noura Giuseppe.”

“Are you referring to Countess Giuseppe, the lady-in-waiting of Her Royal Highness the Crown Princess?”

“Yes. It would be good if we helped each other. Of course, if she feels the same way.”

“...I understand what you are saying.”

“Madam, I wish you would just drop a line and tell her that I am bored while I am not working as a maid and would like to see the Countess.”

“Please leave it to me.”

Looking at Madame Leblaix’s dreamlike face, I had a feeling that the day Noura would come to me on her own would not be far off. 

*** 

Madame chattered on for a while after that, then finished up her work perfectly and left the Count’s residence. Feeling like I had climbed a big mountain, I took a deep breath and headed to the guest room. I had left the seat empty for longer than I had thought. 

Knock-. 

When I knocked on the guest room, I heard a busy sound.

"Your Highness?"

I quickly opened the door, wondering if Rhodnes, who was feeling unwell, was in pain or something, and saw Rhodnes, who was sweating profusely as if he had been exercising, and hurriedly putting on a shirt over his bare body. I quickly closed the door and went inside, afraid that someone might see me.

“Are you feeling unwell or uncomfortable?”

When I saw the sturdy body shining in the sunlight, my pronunciation became slightly slurred. Rhodnes was buttoning up his buttons with trembling hands as if he was not feeling well.

“Can I... help you?”

And his hand stopped moving. The face of Rhodnes, who was standing with his back to the light, was clearly pale, but slightly flushed. I slowly approached him, feeling the tension as if the air had disappeared. As he buttoned up his half-buttoned shirt one by one, I could see his bare chest trembling through the gap in his shirt.

“You’re sick, why are you taking off your clothes...Did you exercise or something?”

“...Because I felt like I only showed my weak side.”

“When you’re sick, you should get plenty of rest.”

He always had a strange smell of sweat mixed with the scent of lavender. Rather than being disgusting, it was a strange body odor that made me feel strange. My eyes kept going to his prominent collarbone and his cracked, angry muscles, and I tried to button up his clothes by looking only at his hands.

I buttoned up the top button and looked up at him. His dark, sparkling eyes were looking down at me. I felt his breath surprisingly close and took a step back in surprise. 

Knock knock-.  

“Madam! There is a letter from Grand Duchess Trovika!”

I put aside the strange tension and went to the door and held out my hand. The footsteps of Jonah, who had quickly delivered the letter, grew distant. 

“You may live in the Grand Duke’s residence starting tomorrow. I will send someone.” 

As I read the letter, I felt Rhodnes’ gaze quite earnestly. I moistened my dry lips with my tongue and smiled slightly as if it was okay.

“I will be going to the Grand Duke’s residence starting tomorrow.”

Rhodnes was still standing where he had been looking down at me. Was he in a lot of pain? I went over to support him. At that moment, Rhodnes’ mouth slowly opened.

“Should I say congratulations?”

Smirking, Rhodes washed his face a couple of times and stared deeply at me.

“Tell me anything. If you tell me to disguise myself as a maid, I’ll do it.”

“No one would believe it, even though it looks like a man’s body.”

“...Is this the kind of strong man you wanted when you were young?”

"Yes?"

“Right now, I mean.”

Rhodnes slyly changed the subject and pointed at himself. It was an unexpected question. Has there ever been a man as strong as Rhodnes among those I’ve met? 

I looked at his shoulders that I couldn’t wrap my arms around and his sturdy body that seemed like I would break if I bumped into him. Then, as I suddenly raised my gaze that had been scanning him, to his face, I saw that his ears were strangely red.

"Your Highness?"

“I asked if I was the ideal type you had been looking for.”

Although I found it a bit ridiculous that Rhodnes was talking about ideal types in such a serious situation, I nodded seriously. Rhodnes, who had been mumbling something to himself and rubbing his cheek a few times, quickly changed his expression. He was a really fun man to watch. He would be relaxed as if he had nothing to fear, but he would also tense up and look around at strange points. Rhodnes, who had been like that for a while, spoke with a slightly raised voice.

“I can’t send you alone.”

“Jonah is going, and I'm taking Marge with me if I can.”

He didn't answer. He probably couldn't hide his worry even though he knew my plan.

“...First of all, it would be a good idea to take Cowan with you.”

I couldn't help but chuckle as I recalled Cowan, whom Rhodnes had let loose in the backyard of the Count's mansion, saying he would be my guard dog. I shook my head.

“The Grand Duke knows of Cowan’s existence and name. I asked him about Cowan’s whereabouts before.”

“...What did he say in reply?”

The voice that had suddenly lowered was quite ominous. I approached him, whose mood had suddenly changed, and quickly changed the subject to something else.

“Well, he doesn’t remember. I was curious before that, but what does the name Cowan mean?”

His face, which had been cold, began to turn red again. I was looking up at the surprising change in a strange way, and I was startled by his answer.

“It’s named after our middle names.”

Is his face about to burst because he has a fever and is in pain?

“The Co of Rhodnes Cosma de Ronta, the wan of Adrienne Swann Piretta.”

Or maybe it was because of the shame that came from having a secret that only he knew exposed?


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments