ICTFF - Chapter 52




Your taste is (2)

The plague that had plagued Eldern for over half a year has finally been cured.

Of course, taking the medicine didn't magically cure the illness. For the time being, I had to recover my health through treatment.

But ten days after the cure was distributed, the mood in Eldern changed markedly.

The once eerie streets without a single pedestrian became lively, and laughter erupted from all over.

Shop owners were busy welcoming customers who had not visited their stores for a long time. Middlemen who supplied goods to the stores also became busy.

Rahon's remedy heals not only people's bodies but also their minds. 

"I envy you."

"Yes?"

"No, Vanessa, eat quickly."

Vanessa was declared cured and allowed to leave the quarantine area three days after taking the treatment.

Today, after hearing the news that the child had gotten healthier, we came to a dessert cafe to eat cake together.

"If you allow me, I would like to go eat cake with Vanessa. The place is called 'Handel's Desserts. I will keep an eye on Vanessa and take her home without delay after she finishes eating."

How dare a witch harm my child!

Although I explained in detail, afraid that they would reject me, Vanessa's parents' answer was very concise.

"Okay, then."

I couldn't help but laugh again when I recalled that blunt tone of voice. I could feel the change in people. They didn't approach me warmly, but they didn't look at me coldly either.

Many people would step aside or put things away for me as I passed by. Every time that happened, I would feel strange.

I pushed the cake plate towards Vanessa.

"Eat a lot."

The child greedily bit into a piece of cake that was larger than her mouth. The area around her mouth was covered in cream.

Nadia wiped Vanessa's mouth as I nodded.

"Vanessa, you're choking. Drink some juice and eat it too. You too, hurry up and eat."

"I'm eating it. It's delicious."

"This is the most famous place in Eldern."

Tails said that and drank his tea.

He's been following me around every day these days.

He said it was because his brother told him to, but he didn't seem as displeased as he did at first. I asked him if he didn't have enough time to train because of me. He was a little worried.

"Tail, when do you train?"

"In the morning and evening."

"When do you sleep?"

"I go to bed around 12 and wake up at 5. Why are you curious about that?"

It seems like he's making up for the lack of training time by cutting down on sleep while chasing me around.

Oh, that's wonderful.

I would like to give him some pocket money, but there's no way Tail would accept it, and what on earth should I give him so he won't refuse?

"I just asked. Do you want some more?"

"...Then one more lemon madeleine."

"Vivian, order plenty of lemon madeleines."

"Yes, Miss."

Vivian hesitated after ordering and returned, then spoke carefully.

"Thank you, Miss, for taking care of my little brother."

"Little brother?"

"Luther is my brother."

Luther was an eleven-year-old boy who was cared for in the quarantine area.

"Because he is the youngest, there is a bit of an age difference."

"I see. I didn't know."

"When my brother came home, he talked a lot about you. He said you were really nice to him."

"I didn't even know he was your brother and I didn't treat him particularly well. That's not something to be thankful for."

"I thought you'd say that. Thank you."

As she said this, Vivian bowed her head deeply.

Why do you bow your head to someone who can't even see?

As I remained silent without answering, an employee came over pushing a tray.

The tray was filled with not only lemon madeleines but also other desserts and drinks. Nadia's eyes widened.

"Huh? Vivian, you ordered this much?"

"No, all I ordered was lemon madeleines..."

As Vivian shook her head in bewilderment, the employee answered with a big smile.

"Our boss told us to bring the drinks, and the guests to bring the cakes and cookies."

"...Why?"

Nadia tilted her head.

Yeah, why?

"Miss, how about just eating it?"

"Yes?"

Vivian, who always took a step back, intervened today. Tail also quickly picked up the madeleine.

"Yes, If you can't eat it, you can just take it to go."

Then someone suddenly appeared and bit into the madeleine Tail was holding.

"Oh, it's pretty tasty?"

Rahon, who had captured everyone's attention the moment he appeared, finally let out a sigh after downing eight madeleines and three drinks.

"Ugh, I thought I was going to die of hunger. Millenia, I was so busy looking for you that I didn't even get to eat. Now, whenever you go somewhere, you have to tell me."

"Why were you looking for me?"

"Looking for incense."

"Have you found it already?"

"No, I haven't even started yet. There are a lot more similar herbs than I thought."

"Do you need herbs?"

"Spices are processed herbs."

"Then..."

He put his hand on my shoulder.

"Assistant, I need your sense of smell."

Ah, I want to stop smelling the scent now.

"Let's go after eating quickly. We don't have time.

"Yes..."

At Rahon's urging, I packed up the remaining dessert and took Vanessa home.

"Go home safely. Let's go eat something delicious again next time."

"Yeah, sis."

As soon as Vanessa entered the house, Rahon picked me up and put me on a horse.

Then he waved his hand in annoyance at Nadia, Vivian, and Tail, who looked bewildered.

"You go back to the castle."

Tails' eyes widened.

"Why?"

"We're busy now. We'll go home and find some herbs."

"Find it. Who stopped you from doing it?"

"It's so cramped and uncomfortable. There's no room for you guys to come in."

"What are you talking about? It's not like I haven't been there before, and it's not so small that only a few people can fit in there."

"What can you do if you come here?"

"..."

"I absolutely hate crowds. Especially the useless piles of luggage that just take up space."

Tail gritted his teeth. However, he eventually backed down, unable to argue with Rahon.

Vivian hesitated a little but didn't object, but Nadia was the problem.

"Absolutely not. I am our young lady's eyes. Have you ever seen someone walk around with their eyes gouged out?"

"I'll do those eyes for you, okay?"

"No? Nothing happened. How could I leave my lady alone with another man unless I was crazy?"

A look of bewilderment spread across Rahon's previously indifferent face.

I thought I knew his mind. How could he say that he was the safest man in the world for women?

I stepped forward out of regret.

"Nadia, you don't distrust your guardian, do you? Lord Rahon is not the type to be rude."

He likes guys.

"I trust him. If I can't trust the Guardian, who else can I trust? But..."

"We'll get there before It's too late, right. Rahon?"

"Of course. Stop being the babysitter and go on your own."

Rahon answered and climbed up behind me. The arm holding the reins brushed my waist.

The chest that touches my back is quite firm. You have a really good body. Do you train separately to build up your stamina?

"Hyah."

The horse began to run, leaving behind the three men standing in a daze.

"How long does it take from here?"

"About three hours?"

"It's quite far."

"It's not far from the castle. It only takes an hour to get to the blockade."

If you ride north from Castle Eldern for about three hours, you will come across a white birch forest.

The villa there was Rahon's residence.

"Oh, I cured Ellie."

"Really?"

"Her body has recovered, but she won't be able to walk like a normal person right away. The power can't restore the muscles that were lost naturally. If she keeps moving hard, she'll be able to fly in no time." 

"When will she be able to wash by herself?"

"That is still possible."

Just imagining how much Ellie would like that makes me smile.

I unconsciously grabbed Rahon's arm. He paused for a moment, then asked after a long while.

"What."

"Thank you."

"...It's not free, so what? I'll just take 50,000 gold."

"It's cheaper than I thought. I have a lot of money."

"Why do you have such a lack of sense of finance? No. It's good for me. I gave it to you cheaply because it was your first time. Next time, you'll pay the full price."

"Okay, then."

As we continued our conversation, we entered a birch forest.

The narrow path was separated by dense white birch trees. They were so tall that I had to tilt my head back to see the tops of the trees.

At the end of the endless path, there was a house. It was a small two-story villa that had recently been renovated.

"They're all here."

Rahon grabbed my waist and lifted me up, then lowered me down.

Just as he was about to take my hand and lead me into the villa, Rahon stopped and asked.

"Are you sure you're okay?"

"What is it?"

"It's just the two of us..."

"Weren't you staying with the priest?"

"That's true, but he's out running errands right now."

"What about the employees?"

"Eldern Castle sent me a few servants, but I sent them back because they were annoying. I hate having someone next to me when I'm resting."

"I see."

He turned his head away from me and said.

"If you want to go back, I'll take you there."


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments