ICTFF - Chapter 50




Witch vs. Fool (10)

I sat still with my buttocks bent.

As I was blinking in embarrassment, the people who reached out to me started muttering.

"Miss, are you hurt badly?"

"What kind of idiot put a bucket here? I told you to put it away in advance!"

"By the way, shouldn't I be waking her up?"

"Commoners like us shouldn't be touching a precious young lady so carelessly, right?"

"She hugged all our children."

"That's because the young lady hugs me first."

"Oh my, what should I do? Your clothes are all wet. You're going to catch a cold if you keep doing this."

People hesitated, not knowing if they could touch me, and they all looked worried.

I thought their gazes following me were surveillance, but it seemed they were watching me to make sure, I, who couldn't see, didn't get hurt.

My head dropped. An indescribable emotion filled my heart. It was a strange feeling, overwhelming and yet making me want to cry a little.

At that moment, Tail came walking towards me and woke me up.

He brought a gown, put it over my body, and headed to the changing room without saying a word.

"Just wait a minute. I'll call Vivian and you can change your clothes."

As Tail said that and turned around to leave, the woman who had been talking nearby cautiously grabbed my arms.

"Young Lady, we will help you."

I had never spoken to them before, but their faces were familiar. They were volunteers in charge of providing meals in the quarantined area.

Tail nodded instead of me standing there blankly.

"Please."

"Don't worry, Miss. Come in."

The volunteers took me into the changing room and changed my clothes. I could feel the sincerity in their rough hands.

I didn't have to lift a finger.

I was just standing there like a doll, but before I knew it, my hood and mask had been changed into new ones.

Finally, the volunteer who put on the gloves held my hand tightly. It was warm. My nose tingled.

"I'm done. Is there anything that bothers you?"

"...It's comfortable."

"Then shall we go out?"

Eldern is the region that suffered the most damage because of me. I wanted to atone for them, but I didn't expect them to forgive me.

If you curse at them, they will listen to you kindly, and if you throw stones at them, they will just take the hit. In reality, wasn't their gaze cold at first?

But will they forgive me for only serving for a few days?

Northerners are said to be old-fashioned and closed-minded... This is just too soft.

Rather, I am worried. How can these people, who are so weak-hearted, survive in this harsh world?

Tail was waiting outside the locker room. He approached me, arms folded and lost in thought.

I grabbed his arm and bowed my head toward the volunteers.

"Thank you."

"Oh my, what a difficult task this is, just bow your head. Go ahead and try."

The volunteers answered nonchalantly and waved their hands.

Now I could definitely feel it. The warmth was hidden in that stiff tone.

Tail grabbed my arm.

"Young Lady."

As I was walking back to the barracks, I noticed that the luggage that had been piled up messily here and there along the road had all been cleared away.

Not only that, there was a guide rope running between the barracks.

So that even people who can't see ahead can easily walk by just holding on to the rope.

The kindness that I had not noticed before is now beginning to be seen.

They were really stingy with expressing their emotions...

Even when they showed hostility, their kindness was not flashy. 

I just knew what I knew, and if I didn't know, I left it as it was.

I pressed my chest for no reason. My heart kept pounding.

Tail arrived in front of the barracks and asked, kicking the ground.

"By any chance... you can't solve the puzzle from the start just because you're the 'first one to walk.' Do you know what that means?"

"Um... I can't see the future I want. I just randomly put together scenes that come to mind and then I figure out what the picture is. I think it's like comparing it to a puzzle, but I don't know whose idea it was, but it's fun."

Tail was silent for a moment before opening his mouth.

"I'll cancel that."

"What?"

"I'm saying you're not qualified."

"..."

"I made a mistake. I apologize."

Tail bowed his head politely. When he raised his head again, a blush spread across his cheeks.

When I burst out laughing at the cute sight, Tail's face turned even redder.

Did you feel bad because I laughed too much?

But Tail, who knew how to lose his temper, just stared at me.

Somehow, it felt awkward and my smile disappeared.

"Um... Should we go in?"

As he was about to enter the barracks while saying that, he ran into Rahon carrying a large laundry basket.

"Good. Bring this over."

He handed the basket to Tail and looked me up and down. 

"Did you change your clothes?"

"Yes."

"Then follow me. Ian is looking for you."

"Really? How are the kids? Is it okay?"

"I'm here, so of course I'm in good shape. Vanessa's fine too. She didn't even vomit today."

Instead of Rahon, I held onto the rope connecting the barracks and walked slowly.

I closed my eyes and remembered the day I had escaped the garden maze by relying on a rope. 

"There's something that worries me a little."

"What."

"I think the people of Eldern are too weak-hearted."

"What... These are people who would cut off a monster's head if you just gave them a knife. You're the only one who would evaluate them that way."

I opened my eyes again. I saw people coming and going busily.

No one walks near the line or places their luggage. Any luggage that was already placed there is carelessly moved aside as they pass by.

I think you're really weak-hearted.

"Ellie, Is there any way to cure her?"

Rahon let out a long sigh.

"Just like your father. Ellie needs rehabilitation, not treatment, and it's just been a while."

"..."

"But it's not like there's no way. You just have to use your power."

"Then, can you give Ellie the power?"

Rajon stopped walking. 

"Millenia."

"Yes."

"Do you know what the first thing I realized when I was chosen as a "Savior'?"

"No."

"God does not want everyone to live."

Power is not infinite.

Just as I abused my powers of foresight and ended up not being able to see the future, so did Rahon.

That's probably why he only uses his powers once a day.

"Then why did you tell me to use my power? You also wanted to heal Ellie."

"..."

"I'm not saying let's save everyone. I'm saying let's save those who can be saved right now."

Rahon did not answer.

"How about this? If you don't need to use your powers before midnight today, heal Ellie."

"...My power is expensive."

"Everything you touch is expensive, I know. But I have a question."

"What is it?"

"I clearly paid 10 gold for the soap, but they are just handing it out here? How did this happen?"

"10 gold to you is like free to them."

"Ah..."

When power is not valued, it is bound by the shackles of the duty of neutrality, but when it is valued, It becomes equal.

Because anyone with money can have power.

Even if we differentiate based on the other person's financial ability like in Rahon, the line of equality becomes lower.

'In fact, isn't it true that Rahon receives money because he wants to heal everyone?'

So if he were paid to do healing, it was a really ingenious idea.

I finally felt like I knew what kind of person Rahon was.

He was not a vulgar person who only cared about money. His somewhat frivolous and rude behavior was merely a disguise that hid his true nature, which was deeper and wiser than anyone else's.

This is the 'Savior'.

I felt more than admiration, I even felt respect.

On the one hand, it was sad. Even though we were both Guardians, we were so different from each other.

I envied him for being able to act freely according to his own beliefs.

"Why are you laughing?" 

"I have a lot of money."

"I know you have a lot of money. I heard that your family is the richest in the empire. Wait a minute, isn't that the richest in the world?" 

"You just have to know."

As I arrived at the entrance to the containment area, conversing with Rahon, Ian was waiting for me. He quickly approached me and grabbed my hand.

"Grain has arrived from the Clester family."

"Oh, I was already worried because it was late, so that's a relief. But why am I..."

"Father told me to bring Young Lady. Let's go together."

"Me?"

Is there any problem?

Let's hurry back to the castle, where Duke Eldern was standing with a bewildered look on his face.

"Millenia, didn't you say you bought a little?"

"Hmm..."

There was a reason why the grain arrived later than expected.

The grain sent by the Clesters was 1,200 cartloads.

The endless procession of wagons turned Eldern Castle upside down.

Even though all of the castle's storehouses were mobilized, there was not enough storage space. Duke Eldern decided to distribute grain to the people of the fiefdom earlier than planned.

The next day, the cure for the plague was completed.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments