ICTFF - Chapter 49




Witch vs. Fool (9)

It was the first time I saw a man. He was as big as a bear.

"Hugh, why? Is there a problem with Ellie?"

Hugh scratched his head at Rahon's question.

"I have a favor to ask of you, young lady..."

"To me?"

"Ellie, oh, my sister's name is Ellie. Could you look after her for a bit?"

"How can I help you?"

"Young Lady, could you please wash her..."

You want me to wash when I've lost my eyesight?

I was more careful than usual because Nadia wasn't there, but did it still show?

Hugh continued to speak with an embarrassed expression.

"Uh, I've been asking the volunteers to do it for me up until now, but today, the young lady came... I'm sorry for asking such a big favor."

It seems that today, of all days, he came here and after much thought, finally found the courage.

Wouldn't it be weird if I came forward?

To me, who was unable to answer with that thought, Rahon spoke nonchalantly.

"Why don't you give it a try? I think you'll be able to do well since you have a keen sense of humor."

"..."

After hesitating for a while, I said to Hugh.

"I can't see. Do you know that?"

"Oh, I know. You're the one who walks first. But I think it's better than me doing it."

"Then please guide me."

"Thank you! Come this way!"

Ellie was a girl of about twelve years old and she had a terrible smell.

It seems like she accidentally defecates, but since she's a girl, it seems like it was difficult for Hugh to clean her up.

Ellie glared at me and then snapped.

"Are you an idiot, brother? How can someone who can't even see wash me?"

"Hey, Ellie, you shouldn't say that to the person who came to help you. I'm sorry, Miss. She's not usually like this, but she became sensitive when she was sick."

I told Hugh that I was okay and then walked over to Ellie.

"Ellie, you can be my eyes."

"..."

"Will you help me?"

Ellie nodded, seemingly relieved.

I asked Hugh. 

"Is there anything I can hide?"

"Yes, we have a screen that we use when washing patients."

"Please put it around the bed." 

Hugh put up a curtain around the bed and brought in some warm water and towels.

As I entered the screen, the stinging gazes of the people who had been following me were blocked.

Only then did my shoulders, which had been tense the whole time, relax. It wasn't easy to pretend not to see.

"I'll take off your clothes first. If I get lost. you let me know." 

"...These are pajamas. Just unbutton them."

The other children were able to move, although it was difficult. But Ellie couldn't move at all.

When I took off her clothes, I could see why. Ellie's limbs were abnormally thin.

I hid my surprise and put away the dirty pajamas. Then, as I was about to wet the towel, I could faintly smell the familiar scent of soap in the water.

"Do you also buy soap from Rahon and use it?"

"Who buys soap? Just give it away. There's plenty out there."

I bought them for 10 gold each...

It was absurd, but I soon laughed it off. The price of an item is up to the seller.

"Your brother seems like a deep thinker. Do you have any other siblings?"

"I lived with my older brother since I was little."

"It must be sturdy."

"He's being stubborn. He's just an idiot. He's saving up money to get me treated by Lord Rahon. This isn't an illness, it's a side effect."

"..."

"Oh my. If he has that kind of money, he should get married."

As Hugh said, Ellie was a cheerful person, just sensitive because she was sick.

At first, the child only answered questions, but gradually the child began to talk more.

In the interim, I was able to obtain information that Ellie had lost the use of her limbs in an accident when she was young, and that Hugh was a fairly skilled painter.

When I lost my sight, I felt like I was trapped in a coffin.

Everywhere I looked it was pitch black, so I would have trouble breathing even when I was sitting still.

But Ellie can see ahead, but she cannot move.

The fear that comes from that distance is no less than mine, if not more.

But Ellie didn't lose her brightness. For me, who had dug endlessly into the ground, it was admirable.

"You are better than me."

"Tch, what is it? Even if you flatter me, nothing will come out."

"What would you like to do if you could move?"

"I want to wash by myself. I'm tired of always asking other people to do it for me."

"Yes."

I changed Ellie into clean clothes.

When I buttoned it up wrong on purpose, Ellie started nagging me, saying. 

"There's another one here, sister."

I'm glad you're feeling better after being depressed.

As soon as I knocked on the curtain, Hugh, who had been waiting anxiously outside, came inside.

"Thank you for your hard work. I wonder if our Ellie didn't make it difficult for you."

"She was very kind. It was much easier with Ellie's help."

"Phew, that's a relief."

Hugh laughed as he said that. His expression, which was a bit scary when he had a blank expression, changed to an innocent one the moment he smiled.

"If it's okay with you, can I help Ellie tomorrow too?"

"Then I would be so grateful!"

Hugh, who had bowed, took me to Rahon.

"Then I'll see you tomorrow."

"Now, Just a moment, Miss..."

Hugh stopped me as I was about to turn around. After a moment of hesitation, he opened his mouth.

"There's something I really want to ask you."

"Go ahead."

"Is it true that you have been saving up Montpain to give to us?"

"That's right."

"Then, are you going to prophesy for us now?"

"Yes."

I answered briefly and bowed. Hugh was startled and waved his hand.

"Why, why are you doing this, Miss! Lift your head!"

"I'm sorry to ask you that question."

"Uh..."

Hugh blinked his innocent eyes. The other guardians had similar expressions.

The day's volunteer work ended only after the sky turned a deep red.

That evening I ate the most food I've ever eaten in my life. I was so hungry after moving around all day without even sitting down.

At night, I slept like I was dead.

Before going to bed, I would always think about this and that and then fall asleep after a long time, but as soon as my head hit the pillow, my memories disappeared.

It was true that work was the best sleeping pill.

So I went back and forth between the quarantine zone and Castle Eldern all week long.

As time passed, I became accustomed to dealing with children and to people's gaze.

To be honest, it's true that when you're working, you don't have time to care whether someone is looking or not, but anyway.

Today is the 8th day. Tail also joined us.

He had been avoiding me until now, but I guess it was a mistake. He got into the carriage as if nothing had happened and asked me this.

"Are you feeling okay?"

"...?"

When will that be?

Rahon welcomed his third assistant.

Nicola changed the bed sheets as usual, I checked on the kids, and Tail picked up the soiled sheets and clothes and carried them outside.

"Sister, sister, hug me!"

"Hmm, who should I hug first... Should I hug the child who ate all his food?"

"Me! I ate them all without leaving a single one behind!"

At first, the children were shy, but after a week, they reached out to me and asked for hugs without hesitation.

As I was hugging the children one by one who were quietly waiting for their turn, Tail suddenly interrupted and grabbed Vanessa.

As they spin around in that state, Vanessa laughs hysterically. Now the children's target has changed to Tail.

My arms were already shaking from holding the kids, so phew, thank goodness.

I barely managed to get away from the kids and head towards Ellie.

The sixth bed is on the left. Now that I was used to the layout of the barracks. I could find it with my eyes closed.

"Ellie, how are you today?" 

"That's just it, huh? When will the cure be ready?"

"I think it will be finished soon. Just hold on for a little longer." 

"I wish that day would come soon. Whether I'm here or out, lying in bed is the same, but home is still nice."

"You're right. Home is the best."

"It's the most uncomfortable when he's stuck to me. It's not like I can do anything just because he's next to me. It's so annoying."

It's not that she's annoyed, but she's worried about her brother who's taking a break from work to take care of her. Ellie was cute as she grumbled for no reason.

"Wouldn't it be better to just be honest and say that you're worried because your brother is taking a break from work?"

"Ugh, how can you make such a ticklish sound?"

"Does this tickle?"

I washed Ellie thoroughly. She was pretty used to it since it was the 8th day.

Ellie, who had been quietly surrendering her body, suddenly spoke.

"I told people that sister wasn't a witch."

"I see. Is there any place you want me to clean more?"

"...Did you hear? I told you?"

"Yes, thanks. Now get dressed. You'll catch a cold."

"Oh my."

As I was coming out with the clothes Ellie had been wearing, I didn't notice the bucket the guardians had left in front of me while washing the child.

My body tilted in an instant, losing balance as my foot got caught on the bucket.

At that moment.

"Huh?"

"Catch her!"

"Are you okay?"

Hands reached out from all sides.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments