TPITT - Chapter 109


It was clear that, out of the blue, they were trying to discuss the qualifications for ascending to the throne.

'He came in with a bang.'

Unlike before, it was a direct question with no escape route. I nervously tried to think of an answer.

'Where are you from?'

My weakness, which anyone could easily recall, was the fact that my mother was of commoner origin.

The best way to compensate for the weaknesses of one's origins is to marry into a family with a long history.

Even so, starting with the banquet to commemorate my return to the palace yesterday, my marriage became a topic of interest in the aristocratic society.

It was a natural time for Desmond II to discuss marriage.

However, I did not want to acknowledge that my mother was my 'lacking part'.

I knew in my head that I had to be calculated to appear in front of Desmond II. But there was a line that no one could cross.

'Princess...'

It was when Michael was watching me, who was in deep silence, with a pitiful look on his face from afar.

Soon Desmond II announced the answer.

“Tsk tsk. Don’t worry about easy questions. Eve, what you lack is... You have no stamina.”

"Yes?"

I blinked my eyes at the answer that defied my expectations.

“Why are you surprised? I just pointed out something obvious. Did you not know that you were so absorbed in your alchemy research, shut in a corner of your room, that you didn’t even go for a walk properly?”

“...That, that’s right. I’m sorry.”

I felt ashamed that I had been lost in such strange anguish alone. I hurriedly lowered my head.

Desmond II continued to nag like any other parent.

“Both alchemy and magic are spiritual achievements, so the Empire places great importance on the physical body. It tends to be overlooked, but taking care of the country requires health and physical strength. It is the law that must be given. Eve, your current weak body is not capable of carrying the burden of the task.”

“I am so sorry for showing you my poor self-care.”

“I wish you knew now. From now on, you will learn horseback riding, swordsmanship, and culture. Let’s do one or two moving activities.”

“Yes, Father.”

Suddenly, my father seemed to be a solid warrior rather than a scholar.

It made me think about Desmond II's appearance.

I thought about it as consistent management, and for the first time in a long time, I truly felt respect for my father.

'As expected, becoming an Emperor is not easy.'

It was a difficult task for me, who had been working out and building walls, but I decided to think positively about it.

'Sister Betty, did you learn swordsmanship through education? I saw it before. The sight of the sword being drawn is cool. I think it would be a good idea to learn it too.'

The exhibition effect is an important law, so if you learn some cool moves, you will be able to use them well.

At that time, Desmond II showed signs of looking at the papers again. I thought I should step aside.

I tried to say goodbye.

But then it happened.

“Michaelis Agnito.”

Suddenly, Desmond II called out to Michael.

“Yes, Your Majesty.”

Michael immediately got down on one knee.

He bowed his head. Desmond II's gray eyes narrowed as if he were assessing the submissive look.

I was very nervous.

'No, Father. Why are you calling Michael? What kind of harm are you going to do?'

Desmond II gave Michael a meaningful smirk.

“It’s been quite some time since an interesting rumor has been circulating in the palace.”

“The imperial servants have no eyes or ears. Forgive me for not knowing what Your Majesty's means.”

“Tsk. You’re so clueless. It’s an uncomfortable topic to discuss between a father and daughter, so I’m going through you.”

Desmond II opened his mouth with a displeased expression. He continued speaking indirectly but with enough hints.

“Everyone knows that my seventh daughter is of poor physical strength, but the rumor that she favors you is far-fetched.”

For a moment, I almost swayed from the confusion that was creeping in.

'Ugh! I should have known from the moment you announced that this would be an uncomfortable topic.'

It was a very bad topic. It even revealed that the concept I and Michael had been holding onto was false.

'Did I overdo the settings?'

I looked at Michael nervously. A severely trained expressionless face.

Although he was hiding his emotions, I could see that his eyes were slightly hardened.

Fortunately, Desmond II did not act like the older Princesses who were nitpicking the night shift. He finished the uncomfortable business by giving Michael a brief warning.

“The premarital education of the royal family is the responsibility of the direct knight. There is still time to discuss the marriage of the Seventh Princess, but it should not be insufficient for your role."

“...I will keep that in mind, Your Majesty.”

Of course, the content of the warning wasn't all that pleasant.

Desmond II scolded me one last time.

“The basis of stamina is also physical strength. Diligently cultivate your physical strength so that you will not bring shame to the bloodline of Hadelamid”

“...Yes, Father. I will keep that in mind.”

Desmond II, who was discussing stamina, was serious. After all, I had to succeed to the throne.

The atmosphere of the cult of energy created by the duty to do so had long been a royal custom.

'Ugh. It's my family, but it's really perverted.'

After that, I politely greeted him and ran out of the Emperor's office.

It was when I left the main palace and entered a garden full of greenery. I took advantage of the quiet place.

Michael opened his mouth.

“Everyone is preparing for the Princess’s wedding.

"That's right."

"I know."

Unlike usual, the conversation between the two did not go well.

This time, I stepped forward to break the awkward silence.

“Michael, you don’t have to worry about the duties and roles of a direct knight.”

“Is there any solution?”

“Uh, um, wouldn’t it be okay if I just taught myself sex education?”

Is it because it sounds unpleasant? I am looking at this book.

Michael's eyes grew dim. I rolled my amber eyes to the side, avoiding his gaze.

Michael said.

“I’ve been feeling this since yesterday, but the Princesss seem to think of your marriage as someone else’s business.”

“Oh, is that so?”

"Yes."

“Hmm, I guess it’s because it doesn’t feel real. I have to continue the imperial line. I’ll probably get married someday, but I’ve never really thought about it specifically.”

It wasn't for nothing that I had no dating experience in my past life.

“You can’t just remain vague forever, can you? It’s a matter of finding a companion who will support the Princess.”

Michael lowered his eyes, offering the kind of advice anyone would give.

He didn't notice it himself, but his voice had lowered slightly.

After a while, Michael realized that he could not hear my reply and raised his gaze.

In his sight was Eve, staring blankly at him.

“Princess? Why are you looking at me like that?”

“It’s just that it seems a little strange when Michael says something like that.”

“It’s different after all.”

What is strange? What is different?

Eve's meaningful words confused Michael. Now that I think about it, for some reason, he felt stabbed in the back, as if I had done something terribly wrong to Eve.

Especially now, Eve's gaze looking at him was hazy and bitter, and it made his left chest ache even more.

Then Eve smiled brightly. The atmosphere was livened up.

“It would definitely be better to think about this issue carefully from now on. Even if you have several concubines after becoming an Emperor, you will not have a spouse until the time of the Crown Princess."

“There’s only one. As Michael said, it’s an important ‘companion’ to choose, so I have to be careful."

Although the advice was accepted, Michael felt his mood sinking even more. Especially the word companion coming out of Eve's mouth stung like a thorn.

However, it was not something he could change his attitude about now.

Michael muttered some affirmative words as if trying to convince himself.

“That’s a good idea. A political partner is absolutely necessary for the Princess.”

“Yes. I need someone who will help and support me politically.”

Eve said she had never thought specifically about marriage before.

I began to reveal my views on my spouse to the point of being colorless.

“If possible, I would rather have someone with military power than someone from the political or financial world. In the future, the battle to subdue the Demon Dragon will be a major turning point, so we must prepare.”

“I see.”

“And above all, I want someone who understands my intentions and can stay with me until the end. He has to be a man. Let's see. If he's that kind of groom..."

In an instant, the stage of selecting candidates was reached. Michael swallowed his saliva nervously and waited for the next words.

But for a long time, Eve did not reveal her candidate.

She just blinked, staring intently at Michael's face.

Michael, tired of waiting for the blood to dry, finally decides to ask Eve.

“Princess? Why are you stopping talking?”

“Uh...Huh? No, that’s..."

Eve seemed to come to her senses and looked bewildered after hearing Michael's call.

It was reflected.

In fact, she had just come to a major realization.

'No, wait a minute. Michael is the King of the Homunculus.'

He will be the one who possesses the strongest army, and we have the same purpose.

'It is only natural that he will support me until the end. Moreover, the union between me and Michael also has symbolic significance in promoting human rights for homunculus.'

Yes. The more I think about it, the more I realize that Michael was the perfect marriage partner.

'The answer was Michael!'

Once a goal was established, it was natural that there had to be a means and plan to achieve it.

My head began to spin more violently.

I was so focused that I blurted out part of the plan without even realizing it.

“Hmm, the status issue might be a bit difficult, but we can change the law to get a single win, and the next issue will be quite difficult, but I think I'll be able to do something if I study infertility with alchemy..."

“Princess? Why are you talking to yourself like that?”

“Ah, Michael!”

Just as I was thinking about having a baby, I was startled as if I had been caught doing something bad.

It would have been difficult to be interrogated in this situation. I decided to quickly isolate Michael.

“Oh, right. Michael. I’m a little tired today."

“You look tired, but you can leave work right now.”

“Oh my, we’ve finally arrived at the villa. I’m going to go in now. Bye.”

I left the garden, leaving Michael behind with an evasive look on my face.

Michael, who was left alone, stood there for a long time, nailed to the spot. He softly repeated one of the words Eve had said.

“Military power... If that’s the case..."

For a moment, Michael flinched in surprise at the sound of his own voice.

Why is he looking to himself to the standards of companionship that Eve said?

Even if it was an unconscious thought, it was disrespectful. He covered his mouth with his hand as if he was embarrassed and wiping his face.

'Are you really crazy these days?'

The early summer wind, carrying the scent of grass, blew. But it wasn't enough to cool down his flushed face through the gap between his hands.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments