RAMHM - Chapter 41 < Finding the Body >



Marie was a maid who had been working at the Grand Duchess Trovica for less than a year. Marie had a different origin from the other servants who had been selected by the Emperor's instructions. 

The Grand Duchess's servants were mostly wealthy commoners who hoped to one day have a chance at rising in status. Among them were servants from fallen noble families who did not want to do any menial work at all, and Annie was one of them. 

Boom! Boom! Boom!

“Stop it, stop it! What on earth did I do wrong!”

“Hehehehe... It’s dawn, it’s dawn now!”

“What the hell are you planning on doing without letting me sleep? Just hit me, you damned bastards!”

When Marie, who came from a poor commoner backgrounds, entered the Grand Duke's residence, she had hopes that her life would turn into a rainbow.

“Just catch who it is, and I’ll destroy that woman!”

At the sound of Annie's screams, trapped in the closet, Marie wiped away the sweat that flowed like rain and shivered. Not only Marie but also the servants who had accumulated a lot of things came rushing in and kicked the closet without warning and insulted Annie's group. At first, it was because the Countess told them to do it, but when Annie, who had endured in the closet for nearly three or four days without a sip of water or a piece of bread, gradually went crazy and cried, Marie even thought it was a waste of time. After about five days, when she heard the sound of nails scratching the closet door, she knocked and heard a voice from inside, just before it dried up and died.

“Call that woman... that woman...”

Aside from Annie's closet, dry sobs continued to leak out from other closets. Marie steeled herself and lifted her foot. 

Boom!!  

'If she comes looking for me, kick the closet harder instead of answering. And don't ever bring me in until she begs you politely.'

As the lady said, Annie started looking for the lady. Marie kicked the closet hard a few more times and then started running to find the lady who was having a meal.

*** 

Meanwhile, Grand Duke Trovica's butler, Gaspard, leisurely left the guest room and stared at Blie, who was moving around the mansion as if it were her own home.

'There wasn't as much of a fuss as I thought.'

The noble lady came down to the dining room at mealtime and began to eat elegantly, attended by maids brought from her mansion. Gaspard, who was watching this, felt his face flush for no reason.

“Are you experiencing any inconveniences while staying here?”

“?”

Gaspard had felt the lady's gaze constantly on him for the past few days, and he remembered that when their eyes met, she smiled with such a meaningful smile that his heart fluttered. Was that why?

“I will take all measures under my authority to ensure your comfort.”

Originally, according to the orders of Grand Duke Trovica, the lady should have been under a little more strict surveillance, but he tended to let it go a little. Gaspard wanted to make it known that it was his merit. 

The lady, who was staring at Gaspard with his chest puffed out, smiled quietly and had languid eyes.

“You seem to be a pretty important person in this mansion. Is it because you’re competent?”

“I am currently staying here as a butler, but if you ask me who the Grand Duke trusts as much as his adjutant, Lord Jimsker, I dare say it is me.”

“I guess you're a very useful person.”

“I won’t stay like this.”

Gaspard, unable to control his pounding heart, approached the lady who showed interest in him and bowed his head.

“If I can achieve great success and earn the title of Baron...  I will become a rising noble and assist His Highness the Crown Prince.”

At that moment, the lady’s eyes seemed to sparkle. Gaspard wanted to attract her attention a little more. If he, a young and capable man, were to become a new nobleman someday, a wife of moderately noble birth would be essential. However, he knew very well that no one in power would give his daughter to the new nobleman. But what if she was a divorced lady? 

Even better, a widowed lady. Blie Acacia’s status had already been washed once by marrying Count Acacia. From the moment Gaspard took interest in this lady, he had a strong feeling that she was a divine arrangement for him. If the master abandoned her, couldn’t he have her as a servant? 

The dead Grand Duchess was a woman like a high mountain that could not be climbed, but Blie, who resembled the Grand Duchess, was a woman he could easily obtain if only the master abandoned her. 

*** 

Today, I looked at Gaspard, who had unusually oily eyes, suppressed my disgust, and looked at him.

“...I am curious as to why the Grand Duke trusts you and wishes to use you so greatly.”

“I do a lot more of the clerical work on His Highness’ behalf than Sir Jimsker.”

I wanted to push that sullen face away, but I smiled faintly.

“For example?”

“It’s top secret...”

“Is even simple something difficult?”

“The gifts sent to Her Royal Highness the late Grand Duchess always passed through my hands, not his. It was because he highly regarded my taste. The letters that accompanied them were also sent.”

“You wrote the letter on behalf of His Highness the Grand Duke.”

“Yes, you already know that much.”

I barely managed to chew and swallow my food and rinse my mouth with red wine. Gaspard was looking at me as if he was possessed.

'Perhaps, the letters exchanged after marriage were not with Noevian, but with this guy.'

Or maybe Noevian had received my letter and had told Gaspard to reply in this way. My mouth felt like it had been chewed and swallowed full of sand.

“Of course, I know. I also highly value your talent for copying other people’s handwriting. Maybe I can ask you to do it for me when I need it.”

“Just let me know anytime.”

Clang! 

The fork I was holding was sharply thrown onto the plate. I wanted to punch Gaspard in the face for taking the bait after hearing my words. The handwriting of these three people, Rhodnes, Noevian, and Gaspard, was not the same. Noevian was just using Gaspard to imitate Rhodnes’ handwriting. 

I finished my meal with a dejected expression.

“Ma, Ma’am! Hey-.”

Marie, who had quietly entered the dining room, approached me and whispered in my ear. I smiled politely at Gaspard, who had helped me out a little and went to find Jonah. 

*** 

The palace of the 2nd Prince Rhodnes was firmly closed and silent again today. The Emperor's call and the Crown Prince's call were all dismissed for the time being, so only the adjutants were dying under them.

“Can I really have this?”

"Yes."

Neil clicked his tongue as he watched Rhodnes throw away the letters and packages sent by Countess Acacia. The lord who had been confident that he would seduce the Grand Duke's mistress with beauty and get what he wanted changed his mind just a day after making up his mind. 

Over the next few days, the lady sent him several letters and cookies and puddings that she said she had made herself. She even sent him a whole basket of flowers as if she had a talent for flower arrangements. Rhodnes's eyes fell asleep again as Neil packed the gifts from the lady and left. For several days, he had not been able to go to his bedroom and had been waking up and sleeping in his office. The office, which had been so refreshing that it was hard to tell if it was a bar or an office, was now filled with the smell of alcohol. Rhodnes decided not to handle any matters related to Blie Acacia himself anymore.

'You shouldn't meet that woman.'

Just because he was going to help, it didn’t mean he had to step forward himself. He couldn’t just ignore her right away since he had made a promise. So he had no choice but to help her without meeting her. There were many talented people in the Second Imperial Knights, including Vincenzo and Neil. 

After gritting his teeth and holding his temple for a while, Rhodnes hesitated and opened the desk drawer. The cookie package that Ariadne had made for the first time in her life was still rolling around in the drawer, with the ribbon still untied.

“Adrienne...”

According to the woman, if I confirm the body and admit death, can I cut you off? 

As soon as he thought that, a laugh burst out of his mouth.

'That's funny.'

If he could forget her just by seeing someone else and touching them with his hands, he wouldn’t have loved her so much in the first place, and he wouldn’t have been distressed that she had become another man’s wife. It was a meaningless assumption. Just because his heart sank every time he ran into a woman who resembled her, who reminded him of her... 

Could I forget you? No, should I forget you?

Adrienne was the only person who made him want to be a better person, his sanctuary. Adrienne, who had already given her heart to someone else, might think he was foolish like this and not the image of a great man. Others might say he acts like he's her husband, but he still can’t let her go. No...

'I don't want to let go.'

When he dreamed, Adrienne appeared and shed tears silently. Even when he woke up from the dream, he could only remember her face vaguely, which was painful.

'Don't be sad, Adrienne.'

Your husband betrayed you, but I didn't.

'If I still feel drawn to that woman after identifying your body...'

 Then I will take my own life and go to you. I don’t care even if I can only stay by your side until your husband dies. If I don’t do that...

'I feel like I'm going to choke to death right now.'

“Your Highness! Your Highness!!”

Rhodnes, who had been screaming silently, slowly turned his gaze to the sound of a loud knock on the dark office door. Neil, with his face flushed as if he had come running in a hurry, entered his office with a maid.

“Countess Acacia sent someone again!”

“...Do you think what I’m saying is nonsense? Ignore me.”

“This is not a letter, this is a message delivered in person!”

Neil hurriedly pushed the maid forward.

“Her Grace has found the person His Highness was looking for, so she has sent a message to come immediately and confirm it.”

A young maid with a solemn expression trembled slightly as she spoke, and the color completely drained from Rhodnes’ face. Rhodnes immediately understood what it meant. She had found Adrienne, so he was to follow this maid and examine the body. 

*** 

I ordered the maids in the closet, who had collapsed and were sweating, to take care of them, and quietly headed down to the basement. I personally opened the dungeon, which was always empty. The thick iron door, which seemed to have not been properly oiled, opened with a scraping sound.

“Madam, madam, is this okay...”

“Did you do as I told you?”

“I opened the liquor storehouse, made medicine, and put everyone to sleep. Fortunately, the security was tight only outside the Grand Duke’s residence, and there were only a few servants inside, so there were hardly any people in this annex.”

Marge, who was called to me in the middle of the night, worried but completed her mission like a seasoned maid. Annie even pleaded with me, saying that all she knew was that Noevian often went to the dungeon in the annex. It was the moment when my guess that he might have hidden it in the annex where guests lived was confirmed. Once the location became clearer, things got easier. Because I kept the number of people guarding the front to a minimum to prevent the body’s location from leaking out, I didn’t have to deal with many people. 

I instructed everyone working in the annex to stay put and to leave the back door wide open. While Marge went out to look around just in case, I went down to the end of the dark dungeon with a candle and followed the moonlight pouring in through the small window. I could clearly see my body inside the glass case. The dungeon on an early winter night was as cold and chilly as if it were covered in ice.

"...Hi."

I walked slowly and finally greeted myself, whom I hadn’t seen in a long time. The body was still healthy and beautiful as if it was still asleep. I thought it was fortunate. 

If An saw my body and remembered my ugly appearance for the last time, I would be very sad. 

Thump. Thump. Thump. 

The sound of footsteps that were clearly military boots and the sound of someone following them gradually grew louder from above the dungeon. When I could hear the sound of footsteps and heartbeats intersecting, I saw Rhodnes, who had stopped at the entrance. 

The Prince’s face, which had been polite, arrogant, and relaxed, was nowhere to be seen, and his beautiful eyes were shaking violently like the candles I had.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments