RAMHM - Chapter 15 < Take It Off >



“Please wait here for a moment, Countess Acacia.”

Butler Gaspard gave me a secret nod, then closed the door to the living room and disappeared. 

I forced myself to catch my breath. Then, with trembling legs, I headed to Adrienne’s bedroom, which was connected to the living room. I clearly remembered the jewels I had brought from my parent’s house in the drawer of the nightstand next to the bed. And the relics of my deceased mother.

'I should at least take that.'

If Noevian had given me something to remember Adrienne by as a host, it would have been something like that. The jewels I had brought from my parents’ house. 

I clenched my teeth because I was so angry at him for deceiving me. I was so consumed by the thought that since I had come this far, I had to get something that would help me. 

The bedroom was exactly as I had always lain there. It seemed to have been swept and cleaned every day, judging by the lack of dust. I opened the nightstand drawer with trembling hands.

“...Where did you go?”

But a few were empty. It must have been the maids’ work. Only a few noticeable jewels remained, and all the gold rings and bracelets were gone. Of course, there was also a pendant necklace with my mother’s portrait. 

I first emptied everything that was left and put it in the pocket in my bosom. The small pocket that contained a few silver coins as emergency funds was soon filled with expensive jewels that Noevian and my brother Gregory had bought for me. Of course, they were mine, so I should have them, but my heart pounded as if I was stealing someone else’s. Then I returned to the living room with my steps as fast as my heart. 

Just then, Noevian came in with Gaspard, who had brought a black shawl. I tried to shake off the heat by fanning one of the few fans on the table. It had been a long time since I had run like this, and although my body was fine, I felt tired.

“Gaspard.”

“Yes, Your Highness.”

“Go out and greet the guests.”

“Yes? Oh, yes!”

Gaspard smiled meaningfully as if he knew everything, then quietly closed the door to the reception room and left.

“...”

In an instant, silence flowed through the drawing room. Noevian walked in slowly, carrying the shawl he had received from Gaspard.

"Ha."

He stopped in front of me and spread out his shawl as if he was going to put it on me. I put down my fan and slowly got up, turning my back to him. Time passed incredibly slowly. As we were alone in the living room, I thought back to the brief happiness of our honeymoon. Noevian was such a kind man to both Adrienne and Blie. He even put the shawl on me like this. A sad laugh lingered in my mouth.

“...Blie.”

And then he hugged me from behind. His hot breath touched the nape of my neck. My heart was beating like crazy and I felt like crying, but at the same time, my body froze.

“Blie, Blie...”

Had he ever called Adrienne's name so passionately? It had always been soft and affectionate, but never so passionately.

“Why, why did you do that?”

Oh. I blurted out the words that had been on my lips without realizing it. I felt Noevian's arms tightening. I trembled slightly and tried to recapture what I had already said with different words.

“Why, this is a birthday party. And why this dress...”

“...Today is really my wife’s birthday.”

'My wife.'

Noevian still calls Adrienne that.

“But, in a hall called ‘Reminiscence Party’, like that...”

“If I tell them I’m throwing a birthday party, they’ll all think I’m crazy.”

So, let's have Adrienne's birthday party just the two of us, Noevian whispered to me. He'll have his dead wife's birthday party secretly with the secret mistress. What a tearful love! Should I like it? Should I be angry?

“So take off this mourning outfit, Blie.”

“Now, just a moment!”

Noevian, who had snatched the black shawl that had been draped over me, lightly turned my body. His burning blue eyes stared into mine. I had clearly seen those eyes with Adrienne’s. Eyes that truly desired someone. His beautiful eyes. His hands naturally grabbed my shoulders and secretly pushed the shoulder straps of my dress away. I suddenly remembered the heavy pockets I had hidden in my arms.

“No, no, no!”

“...”

Noevian held my shoulder tighter, hia face showing deep patience. It seemed as if he was going to listen to my excuse. The shoulder that was being held felt damp and hot because of his hand. My mind was blank, wondering what to say. I soon thought of the maids standing outside the reception room. And I opened my mouth to him, who was persistently waiting for an answer.

“...I want to see the Grand Duchess’ bedroom.”

I said clearly and without hesitation that I wanted to see the place I had just visited. Noevian's face hardened noticeably.

“Wouldn’t the Grand Duchess’ bedroom soon be mine?”

Noevian's face turned pale for a moment, somewhat successfully distracting his attention.

“If I make love to you, I want to do it there.”

It was such a bold statement that I wondered how I could have come up with such a thought. Yes, at this point, I wanted Noevian to slap me in the face. Why? 

After spitting out the words full of anger and thinking about them, I realized that this was the opportunity I kept giving Noevian. A silent laugh burst out of my mouth. I felt sad that I was ruined because I couldn’t get hurt myself. 

Noevian, who had been thinking for a long time, grabbed my arm. He opened the bedroom door and slowly walked over to stand in the middle of it. He didn’t tell me to come in or look around. I left him standing there blankly and went to the side table where I had brought the jewelry earlier. Then I plopped down on the bed. Noevian just turned his head and stared at me.

“Drawer, can I open it?”

“...”

He looked at me sitting on the bed for a long time and slowly nodded. I bit the inside of my mouth and put my hand on the side table drawer that I had opened earlier. Noevian's gaze felt harsh. At that moment...  Perhaps, Blie would have said something like this?

“They say that noble ladies keep their most prized jewels by their bedsides, but I guess that’s not the case with her. I just wanted to take a look.”

Blie likes flashy things. That's why. I said that as I slammed shut the drawer I had already emptied. Noevian's frown deepened, and he approached me with his long legs, roughly opening the drawer again.

“Gaspard!!”

And his surprisingly angry voice echoed through the room. 

*** 

Gaspard, who seemed to have been struck by lightning from a clear sky, called the servants together, trying not to be noticed by the guests.

“What on earth is going on?”

“I heard that woman came?”

“That woman?”

“Why, the woman who was said to be His Highness the Grand Duke’s secret lover.”

“Your Highness has a lover? Does he have a government? That’s ridiculous!”

“Didn’t you hear from the butler?”

Except for the maids who greeted the guests, all the servants were called to the Grand Duchess’s bedroom. At first, they were bewildered by what was going on, but they were overwhelmed by Grand Duke Noevian’s sharp eyes and dropped their heads to the floor. 

Although they didn’t know what was going on, they had a feeling that if they said something wrong, they would at least be kicked out. The person who didn’t want to be kicked out the most in this mansion was definitely the maid, Annie, who had been watching over the deceased Grand Duchess until the end. 

The Grand Duchess, who had been living in luxury and had been whining even after meeting the best groom in the empire, had finally died. Grand Duke Noevian, who was so beautiful that she had been admired so much that he could be in her dreams, had finally started staying in the mansion. There were many ways to seduce him. Every night, he would drink so much that the bottles of liquor that filled the walls of his office would become empty bottles and roll around on the floor like fallen leaves. 

Annie was considering whether or not he would fall for her if she dyed her hair blond, similar to the Grand Duchess’s hair color, and seduced him. She was the one who knew best that they were a couple who had not even spent the night together. And among the servants, there were rumors that the great Duke Noevian had a lover. It was natural for a young and beautiful Duke to not want to embrace a sick body. Thinking so, she tried to show off her fresh and innocent self. Until she saw a woman sitting on Adrien's bed.

“Her Highness?”

“Watch your mouth.”

Gaspard whispered behind her. But Annie couldn't take her eyes off the woman sitting on the edge of the bed, watching them line up. She knew it, even if others didn't. How could she forget those green eyes? She had seen the fading eyes of the Grand Duchess Adrienne right next to him.

“I came straight here without stopping anywhere, Your Highness!”

As Gaspard shouted, Grand Duke Noevian, who was standing next to the black-haired woman, strode toward them. Annie, as well as all the servants, trembled. His master was beautiful but merciless.

“There was a rat in the Grand Duchess’ bedroom.”

The servants who dared not whisper gasped, gasping. Those who felt something pricked their stomachs, and those who did not were startled. Who dared to invade the bedroom of the dead Grand Duchess?

“Who dares touch my wife’s jewels?”

Annie felt her body freeze, but she tried to calm herself down. She stole without showing it, leaving behind all the colored jewels that stood out. A few gold pieces, and Adrienne’s old pendant necklace that she had cherished so much...

She hid them all under her bed except for that one. Annie exchanged glances with the maids she had stolen with her. It was a signal for them to shut up. But their exchange of glances was cut off immediately.

“The servants’ bedrooms have already been searched.”

“Could it be hidden on the body?”

The voice of an unfamiliar lady suddenly mingled with Gaspard's report. Noevian, who was scanning the servants, felt herself listening to him.

“...Take it off.”

In the Grand duchess' bedroom, where silence flowed, Noevian gave an order in a firm voice.

"Yes?"

The chef was also dragged in, he asked back. Noevian didn't even look at him and just nodded.

“Take off all your clothes and prove your innocence.”

Behind the Grand Duke, who was speaking like that, a beautiful lady was staring at them with sparkling green eyes.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments