RAMHM - Chapter 14 < Birthday Party For Ghosts >



Count Acacia and I usually don't eat together. We are like thorns to each other. But today, I definitely eat with him and have tea time. It's a peaceful time with a strange tension.

“I’m thinking about starting to prepare for divorce.”

I offered to the Count, who was watching me as if I was indifferent. This was my first time being out of the blue, so my heart was pounding, but it was easy to fool Count Acacia. The Count, who had collapsed at the victory ceremony and had come to his senses and searched for me as soon as he came to, had aged so much that he could have been lying in a coffin. 

His amber eyes sparkled between his droopy eyelids. He seemed to jump for joy at the thought of my wanting a divorce and handed me a document that seemed to have been signed in advance. His face was filled with the unfounded belief that it was the result of a discussion with Noevian. 

The edges of the document were already worn away because of his earnestness. I looked at the document for a while and then said quietly.

“What about compensation?”

“Oh, alimony?”

If I wanted to divorce Count Acacia and not live as Noevian's mistress, I had to start a new life, but I couldn't do it without money. I didn't know how to do anything, but I had to have money.

“Uh, how much?”

“Please give me your best.”

Since it was a marriage personally arranged by the Grand Duke, Blie must have brought quite a large dowry. Count Acacia shook his legs nervously, then raised his hand, which was shaking even more, and held up two fingers.

“Is this enough?”

He flinched at the sight of my frowning face for a moment at my un-aristocratic expression, then gave me a thumbs up.

“T, to this extent...?”

“Just think of the benefits this will bring to you, Your Grace.”

I was thinking of taking some maids. I wanted to take some of the workers who were just playing around in this house without an owner, so of course I wanted to get paid more for the labor cost. 

However, his eyes sparkled as if he thought the benefits he would gain were something like a reward that Noevian would give me. And I didn’t bother to correct that misunderstanding. I stared at the fingers that were about to be lifted, but eventually, I couldn’t stand it anymore and lifted two of them myself. The Count, who was trembling as if he had touched a bug, let out a long sigh and finished writing the divorce petition. 

As soon as the documents were accepted, the divorce petition that would deposit five fingers’ worth of money into Blie Acacia’s account came into my hands.

“And until I move into the Grand Duchess’ residence, I plan on using this mansion and the title of Count’s wife. Is that okay?”

He nodded fervently as if he would do anything if only he could get out. As the Count's body, which seemed somehow light, headed toward the office, I let out a tense breath. I took the first step toward breaking free from Noevian's influence.

'Let's just focus on my new life with my new body.'

Any resentment, revenge, or sadness can only be overcome if the ground I stand on is strong.

'And I say goodbye to Noevian, who thought he had Blie.'

I tried to ignore the still chilly back of my head and only think about the future.

*** 

I told the Count, who was going to work without fail, that if he didn’t want to upset Noevian, he shouldn’t say a word about divorce. Soon after, an invitation from the Grand Duke arrived at the Count’s residence without the Count. As the hostess, it was natural for me to open it myself, but I felt uneasy for some reason. I ignored the invitation that was presented on a gold platter with Marge’s hands all morning. I found the book <Elementary Elacon> in the study at home and was studying it on my own. I had only attended the Academy for a few years when I was young, so I had almost no memory of it. I studied really hard before I quit, but I had a hard time with Elacon during the first year...

“Ugh.”

Of course, the fastest way would be to hire a translator and ask him to translate it for me, but who would have thought that this diary contained such content? 

The words written in the diary are not that difficult, so if I diligently study the basics again, I will be able to recall my past studies and translate them.

'After all, it's just a diary.'

And as I realized that fact, I reflected on the days when I had studied so roughly that I couldn’t even interpret such basic sentences. I posted a job advertisement for a tutor, but even though there were many cases of learning the Imperial language in Elacon, it wasn’t common for the Empire to learn Elacon, so no one had applied yet. 

Elacon and the Empire didn’t have much exchange, but the distance was not that far, so there must have been people learning and teaching Elacon. If I could find someone who was tight-lipped and trustworthy, there was nothing I couldn’t learn. It would be very annoying, though. Compared to the intuitive Imperial language, Elacon, with its diverse grammar and vocabulary, was a very annoying language, at least for me.

“Madam, didn’t His Highness send you something?”

"Hmm..."

While I was reciting the alphabet of Elacon in my head, Jonah asked me cautiously. The maids who were busy doing their own work also glanced around, wondering where on earth the Grand Duke had invited me. I was equally curious, but I knew that I couldn't laugh no matter where he invited me, so I was putting it off. It was because I wasn't mentally prepared yet.

'A person who doesn't even like parties.'

What kind of party would he throw during the 100-day funeral for Adrienne? A tea party? 

I couldn’t help but laugh when I imagined Noevian touching the toy-like tea party set with his long hands. If he had sent me a tea party invitation, I could probably laugh like this. 

I slowly and quietly reached out for the invitation. The maids were getting tired and leaving the main hall one by one. The content was astonishing. “You are invited to the birthday party of Grand Duchess Adrienne Swann Trovica.” That was exactly how it started. And it was in Noevian’s own handwriting.

"It's crazy."

“Why are you doing this, Ma’am?”

As Jonah, who was diligently cleaning the window frame, tried to approach, I raised my hand to stop her. Who is hosting whose birthday party right now? 

I calmly read the invitation, thinking that perhaps Noevian had written the name wrong. 

“We would like to hold a ceremony in honor of the late Grand Duchess Adrienne Swann Trovica, the mother of the Northern Trovica Estate. The Grand Duchess, who should have seen only the most precious things in the world on a day like today, is now enjoying her glory by the side of the Lord, but those who miss her would like to have time to honor, remember, and remember her achievements during the remaining funeral period. Please attend without fail and remember Grand Duchess Trovica. For her who will live and breathe in our hearts forever.” 

The more I read, the more I couldn’t help but complain. Now, Noevian was handing out invitations saying that he would hold a ‘birthday party for a ghost.’ At the very top of the invitation, “You are invited to the birthday party of Grand Duchess Adrienne Swann Trovica,” was Noevian’s handwriting, and the nonsense written below it was the butler’s handwriting. 

I couldn’t help but laugh because it was so ridiculous. He must have known that the Grand Duke’s residence was an event that the Countess Acacia, a vassal, could never miss. This ridiculous birthday party for a ghost was a ploy to draw me in. Once again, it was so unfamiliar. Was he really a man who liked events this much? He hated change and didn’t like being in the spotlight. But what was this? Isn’t it just the kind of thing that people would talk about?

'It is said that Grand Duke Trovica, who was a devoted husband, went half-mad after his wife's death and threw a birthday party for her ghost.'

Throwing such bait into the social circle. Why on earth? Because he really loves Adrienne? Oh, maybe that's possible.

“Huh-huh-.”

I laughed out loud. On the day of the victory ceremony, he clearly said it on the terrace. 

I love Adrienne. And I want Blie. 

He even invited me personally, so I couldn’t go. Besides, Count Acacia was running around here and there on Noevian’s orders again. There wasn’t even an old man to send in my place, so I had no choice but to go. And I had to face Noevian again and confirm. 

Was this crazy thing to honor ‘Adrienne’, or was he trying to get Blie to do something? 

Either way, I was planning to make him laugh, so I needed to accept his invitation and try to please him a little. While thinking that and getting dressed up, I couldn’t stop the tears from welling up in my eyes, unlike the morning I had tried to be cheerful.

***

“Madam, the carriage is ready.”

I quickly checked my outfit again at that sound. My reflection in the mirror was probably the same as the 'Countess Blie Acacia' that Noevian knew. 

Sensually flowing black hair and moderately dark eye makeup. Lively lips and rosy cheeks. Even if it was for a ghost, it was a party, so Noevian sent me a gorgeous red dress, and I wore it. It was an outfit that I wouldn't have worn in the past, and I wouldn't have thought of wearing it while I was sick.

“If I had known it would suit me this well, I would have tried it on at least once.”

"Yes?"

I immediately shook my head at Jonah's bewildered face. All the way to the carriage, I kept having stupid thoughts. Putting aside my resentment toward Noevian, why did he fall in love with Blie, who had the same face as me? 

While thinking about such things, I searched and searched for the cause, and eventually, all the arrows turned back on me.

'If only I had been a little healthier.'

If only I had been healthy, went out more often, and kept up with the latest trends. I could have shared with the ladies how to capture their husbands’ hearts. Just as Blie knew her charm, wouldn’t I, with the same face, have created a style like Blie’s today? 

I couldn’t stop thinking about the sick Adrienne, who only valued classic and elegant style and was lying down in her pajamas because she was sick. 

*** 

I stood blankly at the entrance to the party.

“I, I’ll get you a shawl, Ma’am!”

The party, which was supposed to be Adrienne's birthday party, had a very solemn atmosphere. No one wore clothes as colorful as my red dress. The gazes on me were so harsh. The wreaths placed in a corner of the main hall of the Grand Duke's residence had this written on them: 'In memory of the Grand Duchess Adrienne Swann Trovica.' 

A party. A banquet held in remembrance of someone. So everyone was dressed in black, and some even held Bibles in their hands. I was embarrassed, so I looked for a corner of the party hall and stood there. I was so embarrassed that my legs were shaking.

"This."

“!”

“My loyal vassal, the wife of Count Acacia, has arrived, but no one has welcomed her.”

A familiar voice. An unfamiliar tone of voice that was clearly sarcastic. It was Noevian.

I whispered to him, who was already holding my wrist, remembering that I had come to please him.

“...I didn’t know it was a place like this. And why are you wearing these clothes...”

"Then."

He nodded as if he understood everything and spoke to the people whispering around him as if telling them to listen.

“I understand that you are not familiar with the social circles of the capital. If it is not too much trouble for you, I will give you a blanket from my wife’s dressing room. I can also give you a gift there.”

At these parties, where people remember and commemorate someone, the hosts often give guests items that remind them of that person.

"...Thank you."

I first answered thank you to avoid the pouring gaze.

"Butler."

“Yes, Your Highness!”

“First of all, let me take care of Countess Acacia.”

"Yes!"

The butler smiled and held out his arm. I had been trembling for a while. Not only Noevian, who had been teasing me but also the soul that had been silently abused since the moment I entered this Grand Duke's residence seemed to be screaming. And the person who held out his arm to me was,

“Shall we go, Ma’am?”

It was the butler Gaspard who had been silent and indifferent to the maids' rudeness for the past two years.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments