IHMEB - Chapter 265 < Anger Without Context >




“I heard that the Duke and Duchess of Temnes are coming to Valmonde to congratulate her.”

“Temnes? How dare those ugly bastards set foot in Valmonde Castle!”

The guard clicked his tongue as he watched him convulsively screaming and crumpling his facial muscles.

“Yes. Yes. That’s right. The new lord is a godsend who can even bring blessings from his enemies.”

One of them spoke sarcastically and overly politely, causing the others next to him to snicker.

However, Duke Vermont’s heart was seething with anger to the point where he didn’t even realize he was being ridiculed.

‘They set foot on my land.’

That was the only thing he could absolutely not tolerate.

Duke Vermont’s mind was a mess of various negative emotions.

‘How did I raise you!’

Starting with his resentment and resentment toward Irena.

'I didn't like that little brat from the first time I saw him. He's like a brat with no brains!'

Where did the problem start? If he went back again, it was none other than the Duke of Vermont who decided to cut off food to Valmonde.

Who knew that it would last so long in the first year of the ten-year drought?

It was when the previous Duke of Temnes was still alive.

He was coordinating interests with the Oberon royal family, and Temnes asked for an increase in the amount of iron ore imported from the south.

'More iron ore?'

The Duke of Vermont squinted his eyes as he read the telegram.

The external reason Temnes asked for more iron ore was to open up undeveloped lands and to make large farming tools using oxen and horses. It was a simple request to increase supply because demand had increased.

'How could I know that they would melt it down and make weapons?'

The Duke of Vermont snorted and flatly rejected the request sent by the Duke of Temnes through Queen Sylvia.

'Be thankful that you can live off the blessings of my land.'

It included a somewhat insulting message that if there were no mineral resources in Vermont, farming would not be possible, so he would be grateful for this much. He had never considered how angry Kaian, who watched from the side as a lord and successor, must have felt.

To Kaian, his father was the most respectable lord in the world, and he was the lord who protected Rowen like a great wall.

Seeing him rack his brain, and his lowly enemy ending the conversation with unnecessary words, he could not have imagined that the young rascal, who was in his teens at the time, would say, 'If I become the lord, I will definitely repay this debt.'

In the first year of the drought, he asked Temnes to increase food exports. Of course, it was through Queen Sylvia.

Then the previous Duke of Temnes repeated the insult he had sent.

'I am sorry that the grace you have given us is insufficient, and we have less to harvest.'

The reply was that since you did not give us iron ore, I cannot send you more food.

So it all stemmed from the fact that the drought did not last for ten years.

Furthermore, the relationship between people was such that even though they were lords who ruled over vast territories, they could not escape the childish pride battle that lasted for generations.

It was truly a strange fate that this had continued for hundreds of years.

However, the Duke of Vermont's twisted mind considered everything as it pleased him.

'Isn't that the place she has volunteered to go?'

Did Claudel ever volunteer to marry Temnes?

How could a woman who was suffering from pain even when she breathed or swallowed, waiting for her day to die, have the leisure to think about such things?

Since one of Vermont’s long pieces was broken, if it was a discarded piece, he calculated that the place of death should be a place that would be of the greatest help to the family.

And then, even though Claudel reluctantly said ‘yes’ to his pressure, he thought that she had agreed to go, and his narrow-minded thinking poured out anger without any context.

‘And you are causing trouble to the family?’ 

You should have died.

You should have died.

But didn’t he take care to bring the maid to Valmonde so that her body would not be damaged or insulted?

If she had, King Oberon would have taken his side and pressured Temnes. The reason all the plans went awry was because of Claudel.

“You are once again trying to find a way to save yourself.”

Even Kaian is coming to Valmonde Castle.

He thought of a clever way to deal with those guys at once.

“Heh. Keuhehe.”

The guards who had been tying him up flinched and sneered as he suddenly let out a laugh.

“Oh my. I know you’re not in your right mind, but that’s a bit much.”

“Yes. The Duke must be very worried. Weren’t they so affectionate and good friends?”

They quickly tied the Duke of Vermont to the bed and quickly left the cabin.

“I’m looking forward to it.” 

He decided to think about what to do with Irena later.

In the darkness, the Duke of Vermont’s golden eyes flashed with madness.

***

About a month ago, I received a telegram from Irena saying that she had arrived safely at the Castle de Valmonde.

[To Claudel. How have you been? I arrived safely. At Castle de Valmonde, there seems to be no great discomfort or complaint about me inheriting the title of Duke instead of Duchess. Perhaps it’s because of the presence of Queen Sylvia or Queen Bianque.]

I was also worried about how the loyal vassals to the Duke of Vermont would accept Irena who abandoned the duties and expectations imposed on her as a woman and stepped forward to become a Duke.

A being who simply had to find a husband and bear children.

That was the way to serve the family, and signing one's name on the marriage contract was a ritual of loss that did not allow one to pursue personal happiness.

Irena, I, and many other girls born into the family were more concerned about who our husbands were than our own lives, and the number of children we had in the family through marriage and whether we had a son who would become our successor were the standards for how well we lived.

[I will not think about the succession issue until the situation stabilizes. For now, I will prepare and work hard to be able to rule the territory well. I was worried because I told my vassals that I had to act as an emergency substitute due to my father's mental problems. The vassals who saw my father in person at the castle of Valmonde all believed that he had a problem. I should be thankful. I want to meet you soon and talk to you to my heart's content. From Irena.]

I was amazed as I read it.

'Sister. You really have become the Duke of Vermont.'

How could you not have shortened your words at all while sending such a long telegram?

Once upon a time, Kaian harshly criticized King Valquiterre for sending long telegrams and thought that this was the scent of power.

On the other hand, I was also concerned about the state of the Duke of Vermont.

The people of the castle believed that he was crazy. I thought that he must have thought so because he was so angry and wild. The Duke of Vermont had never been treated like this in his entire life.

In any case, this was my second trip since I was born.

I was very inspired.

The trip I took when I got married from Valmonde to Rowen was hardly a 'trip'. I was sick the whole time and the Duke of Vermont was just taking me on a trip that he had saved money on.

However, since I had enjoyed seeing many places on the way to the capital with Kaian, I was somehow looking forward to going with him.

After much thought, I decided to take Julien with me on the trip.

Bianque, who had become the Queen of Oberon, lent Kaian a royal ship at his request.

It was because Rohan, who learned that Valquiterre had arrived at the palace in three days with me on a better ship, wanted to drive the same ship himself. If he had just gone at a normal pace, it would have taken more than two weeks to get to Valmonde, just like when I got married. We planned to travel to the capital for three days for the baby and then slowly travel by carriage from the capital to Valmonde for ten days. We decided to take a break after traveling for a while so that Julien wouldn’t get too tired from riding the carriage for a long time, and that was the schedule we came up with.

In addition, since we were all going together with Evan, Leonie, Madame Repel, the nanny, and the guards, the number of people traveling was enormous.

The moment we crossed the border into the Valmonde territory, the air became strangely cold. While Julien was taking a nap, I and Kaian, who had come out to look around the market, opened our mouths and our breaths came out white.

“They’re busy preparing for spring down there. How strange.”

“Still, it’s not that cold. The surrounding area of ​​the castle of Valmonde must be frozen solid by now.”

“I never thought I would come here myself.”

Kaian said, looking at the lively market despite the cold wind.

“I promised myself that if I set foot on the land of Valmonde, I would not leave behind anything alive.”

“How is it now that you’ve come here?”

“I think I had that thought when I first brought you to the capital. I thought it would be nice to go with you since many women want to go to their parent’s house or suffer from homesickness.”

I widened my eyes and smiled awkwardly.

“I see. I don’t have any memories of Valmonde either. I guess I don’t miss anything enough to suffer from homesickness.”

If I were to look for a place in the Valmonde estate that could be considered a memory, it would be the village of Plogne.

Even then, it was a memory that remained, so what memories would I have in a village that had been burned down?

It was such a sad memory that I didn’t feel curious enough to want to go there again.

“I enjoyed traveling with you. I thought I wanted to go to other places.”

“I see. I didn’t know you’d bring Julien with you back then.”

Kaian smiled softly as he looked at me.

“I think it’ll be a very special memory for me.” 

The moment the man said that my memory was rewritten as a new memory.

“Kaian. It doesn’t feel like a good time, but I want to kiss you.”


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments