IHMEB - Chapter 243 < The True Master >



“What if I don’t open the gate? Do you trust me?”

“Bianque.”

Valquiterre glared at her, calling her name strictly.

It was late at night, and darkness filled her blue eyes as the candle flickered.

“No, what can I say!”

Bianque frowned.

“There are many people who will open the door for me even if it’s not you. Don’t even think of foolish thoughts or pranks.”

“Yes. Yes. That’s right.”

“But while I’m away, you are the most powerful person in this castle. If anything happens, send me a telegram.”

“I will.”

“I will assist her well, Your Majesty.”

Makie, who had been standing on one side like a statue, bowed his head.

“I’m counting on you.”

“Are we done talking?”

Bianque jumped up as if she was annoyed.

“I might not be able to see you off tomorrow morning.”

“I won’t even expect you to.”

“Yes.”

As soon as she disappeared out the door, Valquiterre sighed.

Everything was going according to plan.

‘No. Some things went off the plan, but even those were part of the plan.’ 

He had planned to steal Claudel, who was looming before his eyes.

He knew that Kaian thought of the woman from his enemy’s family as special, but he didn’t know that Kaian thought of her so much that he would even abandon his territory.

In the end, the plan went awry, and on the surface, it was a bitter failure for Valquiterre.

However, in reality, he didn’t suffer any losses.

Kaian chased him to the capital, took a woman who was dying, and under that pretext, he had to give up everything he had.

Ever since he was young, Valquiterre couldn’t shake the thought that Rowen Castle was originally his whenever he saw it.

The fact that it was so far away that he couldn’t see it often made him even more anxious and showed off his presence.

“It will soon be mine.”

It was his turn to become the true owner of the castle where he had always been a guest.

At that moment, the Princess who had been laughing at Valquiterre for being so stubborn was in the middle of receiving some kind of report.

Count Makie handed her a bundle of documents while she was leaning back on the sofa.

“What is this?”

“A letter of protest from the nobles.”

“A letter of protest?”

“Yes. His Majesty the King has withdrawn the appointment of Lord Rowen as Lord and they expressed their opposition to the civil war.”

“Yes.”

She snorted and untied the string that bound the documents, which were much larger than they looked, and they fell to the floor as if they had burst.

“Put them away.”

Count Makie picked up the letters that had fallen to the floor himself.

“What do they want?”

Bianque asked, not even showing enough sincerity to read the letters.

“They want us to not go to war.”

Count Makie explained slowly.

“Isn’t a title supposed to be passed down to the next generation of the family? But, to withdraw the appointment of a prestigious family that has served the kingdom for a long time. Wouldn’t the other nobles be anxious?”

“If there is no impure intention, then there is no need to be anxious, right?”

“I think that this Rowen War was actually unjustified and started to go against His Majesty’s will.”

At first glance, the disloyal words were spoken nonchalantly by Count Makie.

“Well, that’s true.”

Compared to Valquiterre, Bianque was always indifferent, and it was hard to tell whether she was being generous or indifferent.

However, Count Makie felt a chill running down his spine.

Originally, the previous Queen Sylvia had always been like that when it came to important matters.

That was why it was very difficult to guess the Queen’s intentions.

Many high-ranking officials of other countries who had to deal with the Oberon Kingdom through diplomacy had a hard time because of the queen who was difficult to read.

“Anyway, you think that Valquiterre made a mistake, right?”

“Yes. That’s right.”

“I wish there had been no war.”

“That’s right.”

“I hope Kaian can continue to serve as Lord of Rowen.”

“That’s right.”

Bianque nodded.

“It shouldn’t be difficult. If Valquiterre continues to treat me well like he is doing now.”

“...”

“You should go now. I should probably get some sleep so I can wake up at dawn tomorrow.”

Count Makie asked her, placing a bundle of documents on her desk.

“What do you think we should do with this?”

“Burn it.”

Bianque lifted one side of her lips as if mocking.

“The fact that His Majesty the King should have seen the letter that came to me means that it is already something that should not have existed.”

“...You are right.”

Some of the letters contained passionate courtship of Princess Bianque, but it was impossible for the interest that had not existed before to arise if she read them herself.

“Will you see His Majesty the King off at dawn?”

“Yes. My only brother is going on a long journey, so shouldn’t I do that?”

“I will prepare accordingly.”

When Count Makie left, Bianque smiled contentedly.

“Count Makie is certainly good at his job.”

She understood why he had followed in her mother’s footsteps and captured Valquiterre’s heart.

“I must see my brother off. I also have things to receive.”

Bianque, who had been waiting like that, stood in front of Vaquiterre’s rounded eyes the next morning as if surprised.

“Of course, I thought I wouldn’t even be able to wake up.”

Bianque yawned and held out her hand to Valquiterre.

“You should give what you have.”

“What?”

Everyone lowered their heads and pretended not to see the Princess, who held out her hand to the King with her head held high, disregarding the palace etiquette.

“Golden keys.”

These were the only two keys that could open the golden cages of the hanging gardens and were only permitted to the King and Queen.

Bianque was irritated.

“You leave all the miscellaneous things of the castle to me. What if you don’t give me the important things?”

Her words were true.

He had thought that would never happen, but he had given Bianque the authority to manage the castle and informed him of it in case of an emergency.

“But why are you so unpleasant?”

Even on a battlefield where victory was certain, it was a matter of life and death. It was right to leave behind something that could be taken responsibility for as he headed there, but it felt like she was boldly asking for it as if it were hers, and he felt very depressed.

“Hurry up.”

Bianque urged.

As he hesitated, the expedition was delayed, and the lined-up soldiers began to look around, wondering what was going on.

“Here.”

Valquiterre took one out of his belt where he habitually kept his golden keys and handed it to Bianque.

“Why one? You should give me both.”

So she was right, but he couldn’t understand why he was feeling so upset.

Valquiterre reluctantly handed her the remaining golden key.

“I’ll give it back to you when you come back.”

“You’re saying the obvious.”

Bianque smiled brightly at him.

“Have a good trip.”

Still, the words “Have a good trip” sounded nice, so Valquiterre mounted his armored horse instead of responding.

“Trust me and go. I won’t lock the gates without you.”

“Nonsense.”

Valquiterre glared at her and kicked his horse’s flank.

“Let’s go!”

With the loud trumpet sound, a small procession began to descend the hill along the narrow slope.

Watching them, Bianque muttered,

“Really.”

***

The Rowen Castle, which had been bustling for a while, became quiet.

The reason why they could feed the uninvited guests without any burden was because Rowen was a blessed land.

They boarded a boat and disappeared in an instant, just as they had come and gone.

The affectionate castle gatekeeper, who said that even if the place where they entered was not noticeable, the place where they left was noticeable, sighed toward the northern sky, missing the copper-stained men of the Sol Continent who were noisy and talkative.

I, who had been watching Julien sleeping for a long time, said,

“Is it okay?”

Madame Cronach, who was embroidering the baby’s swaddle, raised her head at my words.

“What?”

“I didn’t know he was so hot-tempered.”

It was very important for Evan to go to the capital first and disturb the Duke of Vermont and the royal army.

They would advance south, knowing that Kaian would be tied down in Rowen Castle and in a standoff.

In reality, Kaian had no intention of turning Rowen into a wasteland with war, so he planned to lie in wait at Fromhunt in the northern part of the territory and face the royal army.

"His emotions are all showing. I don't think he can lie."

"You worry a lot."

Madame Cronach laughed.

"Don't you remember that your father lied every time he opened his mouth?"

"I did... do?"

Only when teasing his young daughter would he talk smoothly, Evan's lips dry as if the real was fake and the fake was real.

“It’ll be okay. I waited very long before he left.”

While pretending to worry about my father, I had other concerns.

Finally, Kaian’s departure was approaching tomorrow.

Madame Cronach knew my anxiety but pretended not to know.

However, as the day I had hoped would never come approached, it was hard to pretend to be calm.

That night.

I asked Madame Repel to take care of Julien.

Every night after coming to Rowen Castle, I tried to put Julien to sleep in my bedroom.

I didn’t want to leave the baby who had been separated from me right after birth without feeling any warmth somewhere where I couldn’t see him.

Tonight, I wanted to gather all the time I had spent on the baby and share it with Kaian.

However, the cozy time I had hoped for did not come.

“The departure was delayed, so we used up a lot of the food storage.”

He seriously showed me the ledger.

“After the unit departs, supplying the rear is important.”

Kaian explained Rowen’s supply line to me for a long time.

“Each legion commander will take care of that, but we need to properly fill the food storage with what we harvest in late fall. That way, the supply soldiers can take it out of the storage.”

“...”

“Claudel. Are you listening?”

Kaian suddenly asked when I didn’t say anything.

The golden eye turned her head at his call, trembling aimlessly.

“Kaian. Don’t go.”


Previous                Next


Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments