ICTFF - Chapter 24 < There Is No Flower With One Leaf (4) >




There is no flower with one leaf (4)

In the quiet office, Marquis Astrod and Kjer exchanged opinions while looking at documents.

"How are the preparations for the return of the little Prince going?"

Ian, who had been granted permission to return by the Emperor yesterday, decided to stay one more day and leave for Eldern early tomorrow.

So outside, work was in full swing to load Montpain onto a huge wagon.

"It is proceeding without a hitch."

"Yes."

Marquis Astrod answered bluntly and handed over the documents.

"Is this the youngest's property?"

"First of all, this is the amount for selling one silver mine. The diamond mine and gold mine are so large that it would be difficult to find a buyer."

"What are you going to do with the cash? Have you heard, son?"

"I didn't ask."

"Hmm. Wait a little longer and if no buyer shows up, buy it under someone else's name."

"Yes."

The two men closed their papers and drank their tea. Kjer, who had been slowly savoring his tea, opened his mouth.

"It seems that His Majesty will proceed with the engagement of the Third Prince."

"It's not a very satisfactory disposition. I expected something like confinement. Does Chevio know?"

"I gave him a heads up because he was being so rude."

"I don't know if the Third Prince will fall away easily. He seems to be quite obsessed with the youngest."

"What can I do now that they're engaged? I have to give up."

At that moment, the office door opened wide without a knock and Chevio rushed in.

"Brother!"

Kjer rebuked him coldly.

"When are you going to become a human being?"

"Now is not the time to be doing that leisurely! My sister is getting engaged to the third Prince! Is that our youngest?"

"What nonsense are you talking about? Speak so I can understand."

"Look at this!"

Chevio opened the newspaper. The bold headline caught the eyes of Marquis Astrod and Kjer.

<Exclusive! Interview with Prince of Oslo Royal Antiete: Breakup Rumors Groundless! We Are Engaged>

For them, who believed the matter was resolved, it was like being hit in the back of the head.

Crisp!

Marquis Astrod grabbed the teacup. In an instant, it shattered, and blood-mixed tea dripped onto the carpet. There was silence for a moment.

"Father, the youngest is sensitive to the smell of blood. Please wipe it with this."

Marquis Astrod wiped his soaking wet hands with the handkerchief that Kjer offered.

Even though a long gash appeared on his palm, he didn't even bat an eyelash.

"It seems that the Third Prince has noticed His Majesty's intentions."

So he used the newspaper to announce his engagement to Millenia and got ahead of the curve.

The corner of Kjer's mouth twisted cynically.

"Now the Third Prince's engagement will be a piece of cake."

"Of course. What father would give his daughter to a man who is engaged to another woman?"

"Should I kill him?"

"..."

"I'm joking."

To be honest, this time, Chevio felt the same way as Kjer.

"Father, we have to take care of this quickly. Otherwise, the Third Prince might come back to our youngest."

Millenia was gentle and kind from a young age.

She didn't throw tantrums and didn't cry much. She was a child who would just laugh bashfully if someone took away her food.

She was the type of person who would give everything she had to someone she gave her heart to. That's why she was often used by clever kids.

Moreover, Oslo was the one whom the gentle Millenia loved so much that she rebelled against her father fiercely.

If such a person persists, it will be difficult to maintain composure until the end.

"Does the youngest know?"

"I couldn't speak because she was talking to a guest. Should I call her over?"

"You can't do that when she's with guests."

After a long silence, Marquis Astrod opened his mouth.

"Send the newspaper to the youngest."

***

Same time.

"Miss, Lady Ibida Claster has arrived." 

I sat on the living room sofa and slowly stood up.

"Welcome, Lady Claster."

Ibida Claster came into the reception room and bowed slightly.

"Thank you for inviting me, Young Lady."

"I'm worried that you might have had a hard time coming in. Please take a seat."

As Ibida sat down on the sofa opposite her, Nadia prepared tea for her.

"There were quite a few reporters. I think it was a good idea to come in through the back door as you told me to."

"I'm sorry to call you under these circumstances."

"Young Lady can't move, right? It's right for me to move."

She was halfway through drinking her lemonade, and she fiddled with her pigtails as if embarrassed.

"Honestly, I was happy to receive Young Lady's letter. It reminded me of when I was young."

She left her territory when she was young and came to study in the capital, and we had been meeting regularly until I was chosen as a guardian.

Although we grew apart after getting closer to Sierra.

"Are you okay?" 

"Yes?"

"You were treated so badly by those people who were worse than beasts."

"Ah... That's what you mean. It's okay."

"I was reading the newspaper and I was so upset. Oh my gosh, if that happened to me, I would probably be dead."

Ibida shook her head and took another sip of lemonade.

"Lady Coelle has been buried in high society. Her family seems to be trying to get her married off, but it doesn't seem to be going well."

It wouldn't be easy to find a spouse with such a scandal, Ibida continued.

"Oh, I heard a strange rumor."

"What is the rumor?"

"Lady Coelle is selling all of her dresses and accessories."

"Yes."

Since the repayment period was approaching, it was only natural that she had to sell her dresses and accessories to make money.

Please don't sell my jewelry.

For Sierra, who has already fallen into the worst situation, even worse things will happen.

I held back a laugh and changed the subject.

"Have you thought about what I mentioned in the letter?"

"Of course. I contacted your father as soon as I received the letter. But, do you really intend to purchase all of our family's wheat?"

 "Yes."

"This is a great thing for us, but... Do you know that grain prices have fallen a lot? Even if you buy wheat, you won't be able to resell it."

After several years of bumper crops, the value of grain was literally less than human excrement.

If you go out into the fields right now, you will see wheat that has been abandoned for harvest, so it is understandable to wonder if you are buying grain with money.

"I have no intention of reselling it."

"Then where do you use all that wheat?"

"I plan to send it to Eldern."

"I knew there was an epidemic in Eldern but is the situation that bad?"

Currently, Eldern is in no condition to farm due to the plague.

Of course, if Ian returned with Montpain, the cure would be created right away, but considering the recovery time, farming would be impossible for the time being.

"Isn't farming difficult since there's an infectious disease going around?"

"Is that so? Well, since Eldern is a rather harsh place, farming every year is important."

Ibida looked at me.

"But the Eldern family probably has that much money. Is there a reason why Young Lady would have to pay for it?"

Duke Eldern was dealing with the food situation in his territory by releasing grain he had stored up.

But those reserves could run out before the end of the year.

Duke Eldern belatedly tried to purchase grain, but the lords of the area had already been bribed by Oslo.

Eventually, they had to buy grain from distant lands, which incurred enormous transportation costs and took a huge toll on their finances.

But this will happen in a few months.

As Ibida said, there were currently no problems with Eldern's finances. Let's answer with a smile. Ibida tactfully changed the subject.

"Thank you very much for contacting us. Our territory is close to Eldern, so if we start transporting it right away. It should only take a few days."

"I'll pay for the shipping. Please do it as quickly as possible."

"It's been a while since I've been able to be filial to my father. He used to scold me for always spending money."

Ibida smiled brightly.

I was looking at her cute, pure white cheeks for a moment.

Nadia came in with a knock.

"Miss, I'm sorry to interrupt... The Marquis sent me a newspaper."

"Newspaper?"

"Shall I read it to you later...?"

"No, read it now."

Nadia glanced at Ibida and opened the newspaper.

"Interview with Prince Royal Oslo Antiente. Breakup rumors are groundless, we are engaged..." 

"Oh my God!"

Ibida covered her mouth with a shocked expression.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments