FYERIL - Chapter 53 < Titles Between Spouses (4) >





Watching the Emperor's eyes widen, I continued. 

"I'm afraid you don't have to prepare an orchestra either. My people are already prepared."

"... Huh." 

After a brief silence, the Emperor let out a short sigh. I bowed politely and said.

"I beg you, Your Majesty." 

There was no word from the Emperor for a while. Perhaps it was an unreasonable request. There had never been a precedent in the Empire where a woman performed art on her own during the founding of the country. 

'If the Emperor refuses, I'll have to use another method.' 

That was the original plan, but it was an overly roundabout way. 

'However, if he refuses, I have no choice but to choose that...'

That was the moment I thought that. 

Clap, clap, clap. 

I turned around absentmindedly at the sudden sound of applause. 

"Congratulations, Your Majesty." 

Dante said, clapping his hands leisurely. 

"You earned 500 million."

"... How much did I earn?" 

"500 million." 

Dante smiled wryly. 

"That's the price I was willing to pay when I first heard her song." 

I looked at him with my mouth slightly open. Who would have thought he'd tell that story here? 

Unlike me who lost my voice in surprise, Dante continued speaking smoothly. 

"Your Majesty, you've earned 500 million by saying that you'll release it to the Founding of the Nation for free." 

Dante finally turned to me and smiled brightly after saying that. 

"As expected, you're a great disciple. Just like my wife." 

The look in his eyes directed at me was as kind as a loving husband. I felt a faint goosebump on the back of my neck. The Emperor blinked a few times, then rubbed his forehead and said.

"What the heck... What the hell are you talking about? You were willing to spend 500 million on a single song? Huh, exaggeration. It's not worth it even if you were to gild your wife's face!" 

Dante answered without changing his expression at the Emperor who waved his hand and laughed in vain. 

"Good art is worth more than that." 

I looked at Dante with wide eyes. The thoughts I always had were flowing out of his mouth. Culture and art have the power to control people's souls. I saw the future paradise and the Lopez Opera House leading people's fashion and culture. People bought whatever clothes and jewelry the singers wore, and the nobles who hosted balls willingly paid a lot of money to rent the waltzes I composed for one night. 

On days when popular singers or musicians performed, fans would flock like clouds to the point that it was considered a social phenomenon. 

'But music would have that much power only a few years later.' 

Nevertheless, Dante emphasizes the power of art without a shred of doubt. As if he had experienced that power firsthand. 

"Unlike objects that are finished once sold, music has no form. That means it can maintain its value even after being sold." 

The Emperor seemed to be listening to the neatly laid out logic. Dante continued. Like a seasoned businessman, straightforward and easygoing. 

"It might even be possible to suppress the pride of the Kingdom of Ende, which is arrogantly calling itself the mecca of art. Don't you know? They openly ridicule the Empire, saying that it only knows how to make money and has no idea about artistic elegance or subtlety." 

"...Ugh." 

A low groan escaped the Emperor's lips. The Emperor, his brow furrowed, began to complain. 

"I spend a huge amount of money on the founding of the Empire every year. The events that represent the Empire are the face of our country. But those Ende guys..." 

The Emperor clenched his fists. 

"Every time, every year, they don't hide their mocking gaze. No matter how much money we invest in the stage, they say that the 'art' is lacking...!"

 "What was it like when the great musician was alive?" 

"Things were different back then!" 

The Emperor slammed the armrests of his throne. 

"Even the royal family came to ask if we could perform the songs he composed in their own countries. Even those Ende guys couldn't hide their admiration! Eduardo, just because of his presence, the Foundation Festival would break the record for the most visitors every year." 

"And that granddaughter is here." 

The Emperor turned to me at Dante's words. The eyes of the Emperor who contained me gradually widened, and finally, as if he had made up his mind, he opened them wide. 

"Lady." 

The Emperor called me with great force. For a moment, a bull with a red flag appeared on the Emperor's face. 

"If I allow you to perform on the Foundation Festival stage, will you be able to firmly suppress the noses of the Ende guys?" 

I caught my breath as I met his blazing eyes. There was only one answer I could give.

"... I will definitely raise the national prestige, even if It means sacrificing my soul." 

"It's refreshing. I like that answer!"

The Emperor glared at me with sharp eyes, even as he laughed heartily. It seemed that he hadn't finished weighing things yet. I couldn't just be frustrated. In a conservative empire, putting a female artist on stage for the Foundation Festival would be a risky undertaking. After thinking for a moment, I made up my mind and opened my mouth. 

"With all due respect, Your Majesty. If the fact that I am a woman is causing Your Majesty any hesitation."

The Emperor's eyebrows twitched. It seemed that he had hit the nail on the head. I continued speaking in a tone that was neither too arrogant nor too subservient. 

"I dare to promise. I will make it so that even the Kingdom of Ende will not be able to deny Your Majesty's judgment in selecting me despite being a woman." 

"... Hahaha!" 

The Emperor suddenly burst into hearty laughter. 

"This is truly a masterpiece of an answer. You have the spirit of a man. You are a very cheerful lady!" 

"... Thank you, Your Majesty." 

I did not expect this kind of reaction, so I answered a little bewildered. The Emperor stroked his chin with a smiling face and muttered. 

"Yes. I like the Duchess's spirit, and since the Duke has vouched for me... I will trust you once." 

The Emperor's eyes folded into crescent moons. 

"I will allow you to take the last stage. My expectations!"

My eyes widened slightly. The last stage was always reserved for the most outstanding artists. This was definitely an unexpected feat. 

"...Thank you, Your Majesty. I will never disappoint you." 

A slight thrill spread through my heart. I was able to sing on the same stage as my grandfather. Unlike before, under my own name. A completely different feeling from when I had only planned it in my head ran to my fingertips. 

I turned my head and looked at Dante. 

You helped me.

In just a few short words, Dante had instantly removed the Emperor's stereotype. He had made the Emperor see me not as a 'woman who had never learned composition' but as the 'grandchild of a master musician'. 

If it hadn't been for that person's help, it wouldn't have been this easy. Of course, Dante must have stepped forward because it would have been more beneficial for me to perform on National Foundation Day. However, that didn't dilute my gratitude. 

A feeling of pure gratitude tickled my heart. As I was thinking about how to repay this feeling, Dante sensed my gaze and looked at me. A strange color flashed across his red eyes. 

"Oh, Ma'am." 

Dante leaned toward me and whispered. 

"You should only look at me with such passionate eyes when we're alone." 

"..." 

How could he say that without blinking an eye? 

I was silently shocked when I heard a delighted voice. 

"You're in your prime, you're in your prime." 

"Stop it. It's embarrassing." 

Dante chuckled in a voice that wasn't embarrassing at all.

The Emperor burst into laughter at that sight and shouted.

"I can't hold on to the newlyweds for too long, so I'll let you go. Listen, take care of the Duke and Duchess!" 

"Yes, Your Majesty."

The servants who came over guided us. The eyes of the servants who glanced at us were filled with unconcealed curiosity. 

*** 

The next day. Even though it was broad daylight, which should have been full of energy, the interior of the Lopez mansion was strangely damp and quiet. 

The servants gathered in a corner and whispered in low voices. 

"Did you all see <Empire Morning> today?" 

"Of course I did. Oh my, is that true? Even if it's <Empire Morning>, I can't believe it." 

"I'm telling you. It's so sudden. Marquis Pedegreen..." 

The maids looked at each other and whispered at the same time. 

"He's been stripped of his title!" 

The incident surrounding Lucas Pedegreen was by far the hottest potato in the system today. A prestigious family with a long history was stripped of their title overnight. And that too because they joined hands with a rebel group. 

"I still can't believe it. Does that make sense? He was so proud of being a founding father and a loyal family with a long history." 

"I'm telling you. But then I found out that the Marchioness were borrowing money from a rebel group? And paying that high interest? This is unbelievable!" 

"If he had just married Miss Ariana, wouldn't the Lopez family have been entangled with traitors and almost been torn apart?" 

The servants nodded in agreement. 

"No matter how much I think about it, Miss Ariana calling off the marriage was truly a stroke of genius."

"What can I say? Miss Ariana's life has completely turned around, you know. Just today, did you see the article? The wedding dress Miss Ariana wore. It must have cost at least 50 million cardinas." 

"What?! 50 million cardinas for one piece of clothing?"

"Wow, this is a whole other world. Haaah, I'm jealous." 

The servants, who had been distracted for a moment, focused on today's main news again. The starting point of this shocking incident was Elena Lopez, and Ariana Heigenberg, who is always on everyone's lips these days. 

"According to the article, Miss Elena's testimony seems to have played a big role. As you know, Marquis... No, he's not the Marquis anymore. He had immunity. If Miss Elena hadn't accused him of another crime, the Investigation itself wouldn't have been possible." 

"But that crime, honestly, was kind of funny." 

The servants frowned as they recalled the accusation that Lucas had repeatedly sexually assaulted Elena. 

"Do you remember what Miss Elena would tell us to do every time the Marquis stopped by the mansion?" 

"Of course. She would shout, 'I have to be prettier than my sister, and more eye-catching!" 

"And the person who said that couldn't tell the truth because she was afraid of hurting Miss Ariana... Oh my, really." 

"Honestly, well. Even a dog passing by the Lopez mansion wouldn't believe that." 

The servants exchanged sinister looks. 

"Huh. What should we do? Why don't we report this?" 

"To <Empire's Morning>? Will they give us some money if we report It?" 

"I bet they'll give us a lot of money? It's the hottest case these days." 

Clang!

The servants screamed at the sound of the glasses shattering. 

"Gyaaaaah!" 

"Shut up!" 

Edward suddenly shouted, appearing from somewhere. 


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments