FYERIL - Chapter 52 < Titles Between Spouses (3) >





"If you're talking about the Dawn Squad... are you talking about the Proken Pawnshop?" 

When I opened my eyes wide in surprise, Dante's eyes narrowed in response. 

"I didn't know the two groups were intertwined." 

Thump, thump. 

I felt my heart, which hadn't wavered even when I sent the 'anonymous complaint, beating faster. I pretended not to notice and slightly changed the subject. 

"The reason I thought the Marchioness borrowed money from the Proken Pawnshop was simple." 

The reason the Marchioness borrowed money from the Proken Pawnshop was mainly because of jewels. In particular, the pink sapphire, a trend that had taken the social world by storm last season, had ignited her impulse. And the Proken Pawnshop, owned by the Dawn Squad, handled unique pink sapphires. The heart-shaped impurity in the center was its characteristic feature. 

"I saw an article that the Proken Pawnshop recently started trading with the only merchant group that trades with the Kuren Kingdom beyond the volcano." 

"..."

"And the heart-shaped impurities I saw in the lady's pink sapphire are characteristics of minerals mined from the Kuren volcanic zone... Isn't that right?" 

I asked with a puzzled expression, and Dante remained silent for a while. After a while, he finally spoke. 

"That's strange." 

Dante muttered slowly and bent down. 

"My wife smells." 

As the distance became closer, his body scent wafted in. My heart pounded, making its presence known. 

"The smell of a liar." 

Dante blurted out and smiled. I was momentarily distracted by that beautiful smile, and soon lowered my head slightly and said. 

"... If you don't believe me, then there's nothing I can do. I wasn't sure either. I almost thought that the mere fact that she used a loan shark could belittle the Marchioness's reputation. But the Dawn Sect..." 

I raised my gaze again and asked subtly. 

"Did I, by any chance, touch your sore spot?" 

Dante let out a short laugh and stared at me intently. 

"The Proken Pawnshop was previously suspected of collusion with the Dawn Clan, but this incident will be a major investigation." 

Just before my death, the front pages of all newspapers, including <Empire's Morning>, were covered with the Dawn Clan. It was also revealed that the Proken Pawnshop was the Dawn Clan's biggest source of income. 

That day, the Marchioness had her servants secretly crush all the pink sapphires she had in her possession, make them into powder, and let them float down the river. It was a story that should have been well-known. I was the one who led the servants back then. The Marchioness must have been thinking of blaming me for everything. 

"If it turns out that you were really involved with the Dawn Clan." 

Dante whispered secretly. 

"The Pedegreens will fall into the abyss." 

If things had gone as planned, the family wouldn't have been torn apart just because they had done business with a pawnshop secretly run by a rebel group. However, the Marquis' family had always been very proud of themselves as a family of founding fathers.

Moreover, the fact that he had embezzled taxes for decades had been revealed. The three ropes would become a perfect noose, entangled together, tightening the Marquis's leash. 

"Oh."

I covered my mouth with my hand.

 "A noble family known for being the founding fathers of the country ended up like this. It's sad to even think about it."

"Your eyes are smiling, Ma'am." 

"Oh, I'm sorry." 

I reflected with a light smile. 

"I'm still not good at controlling my expressions."

Heh.

I heard a low laugh. 

"There are times when you're cute."

"..." 

I stared blankly at Dante, dumbfounded. 

Cute. I hadn't heard that word since I was seven. It was an unfamiliar, almost bizarre, modifier. 

"Oh, and get ready. We have to go to the palace."

"Yes?" 

Go to the palace? I blinked at the sudden mention. 

"His Majesty wants to see you."

***

I slowly exhaled in the luxurious and solemn space. It wasn't my first time at the palace. On the days of the foundation day and the New Year's ball, I would enter the palace holding Lucas' hand like any other noble. However, this was my first time meeting the Emperor alone. All I could do was bow to him from a distance along with everyone else. 

'Strictly speaking, it wasn't a private meeting.'

I glanced at Dante, who was standing next to me. Unlike me, who was careful not to break etiquette with every step and every glance, Dante seemed indifferent as if he had come to his own home. His composure was strange, but at the same time, it seemed natural to him.

'Unlike me, who would never see him even from afar unless it was a special day, he must have seen His Majesty dozens of times.' 

He was a member of the ducal family, so he was related to His Majesty. I felt once again that Dante and I were from different worlds. 

The door opened and the servant announced.

 "His Majesty the Emperor is here!" 

As I bowed my head, I heard heavy footsteps. The Emperor sitting on the throne commanded. 

"Raise your head." 

"..." 

I met the Emperor's gaze and was momentarily embarrassed. Up close, the Emperor looked much friendlier than I had expected. His clothes were simple, and if it weren't for his extravagant crown, he looked like an old man out for a walk... 

I shouldn't be caught having such irreverent thoughts. 

"You must be Ariana." 

"Meet His Majesty the Emperor." 

"Hmm." 

The Emperor stroked his chin. 

"You are definitely a completely different type from my daughter." 

"... Yes?" 

Dante sighed and stepped forward as I blinked at the unexpected story. 

"Don't say strange things to my wife." 

"Oh, right. You're being overprotective, not letting me say something like that." 

"Your Majesty." 

"Good, good. I'm sorry. I apologize, Lady Heigenberg." 

"No, Your Majesty." 

I lowered my head in embarrassment and the Emperor burst into laughter. 

"I called you here to express my gratitude. You have helped me discover the great boil of the country."

'... Ah.' 

Receiving praise from the Emperor. I took a deep breath in secret. This was not the harvest I had calculated. The despair of Lucas and the Marchioness was sweet enough for me. 

"I cannot forget the award for such merit. Tell me, Lady Helgenberg. Is there anything you want from me?" 

The face of the Emperor who spoke of the award was flowing with a natural dignity unlike before. I stared at his face in silence for a moment. It was a reward given directly by the Emperor. It was an unexpected gain, but my answer was already decided without hesitation. 

"Then I will dare to ask, Your Majesty." 

"Oh." 

The Emperor raised one eyebrow, perhaps surprised by the immediate answer, and opened his mouth, thinking, somewhat uselessly, that his expression resembled Dante's, perhaps because they were distant relatives. 

"It would be an honor beyond compare if you would allow me to perform on stage at the upcoming National Foundation Day." 

"... Stage?" 

The Emperor's words trailed off slightly. I suppressed the tension that was slowly rising and waited for the Emperor's answer. After a few seconds, the Emperor slowly opened his mouth. 

"...Yes. You speak as befitting the granddaughter of a master musician." 

My heart suddenly thumped at the mention of my maternal grandfather. The Emperor slowly stroked his chin and looked into space as if lost in thought. 

"I also liked his music." 

"..." 

"It was a tragic accident. He was a talented person who should not have been lost so easily." 

I slightly lowered my head. I didn't want to be caught with my childish expression. 

"Now that I think about it, I remember." 

The Emperor looked at me and smiled. 

"The scene where Eduardo entered the palace holding his granddaughter's hand." 

"..." 

My eyes widened for a moment. 

"She was a girl who sang beautifully like a lark." 

The on the Emperor's lips grew deeper. 

Thump, thump. 

I felt my heart pounding. 

"That girl grew up to be such a lady." 

I couldn't respond to the delighted smile. 

'...Yes. There was a time like that.'

The days when my grandfather held my hand tightly and led me up onto the stage. The days when I would flutter the hem of the dress my mother had made for me, sing a poor song in front of people, and be happy with the applause they gave me. But all of that was in the past. The last time I sang was a long time ago. That day, I... 

Thinking about that, I secretly held onto the hem of my dress. A faint cold sweat formed on my palm. 

"Has that happened?" 

Dante suddenly opened his mouth and stared at me. 

"You must have been cute. I'm sure." 

"Yes, she was." 

The emperor burst into laughter and continued. 

"Lady, you've already shown your skills back then, so I don't think you need to prove your qualifications again now. Feel free to sing. I'll prepare an orchestra for you." 

I looked up in embarrassment. Sing? The Emperor had completely misunderstood my intentions. 

'Well, it's not easy for a woman to compose music and perform it on stage.' 

I had no intention of singing at all. That would be a punishment, not a reward, to me. I took a deep breath and slowly opened my mouth. 

"With all due respect, Your Majesty." 

The Emperor's eyes turned suspicious. 

"I am most grateful for your willingness to grant me this, but it is not what I asked for." 

"Hmm?" 

The Emperor said curiously. 

"Really? I must have misunderstood. Would you like me to state my request again?" 

"Yes, Your Majesty. What I asked for... was to perform on stage with my own songs that I composed on stage."


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments