FYERIL - Chapter 41 < 9th Chord For Insomnia (4) >



Come to think of it, I really didn't know much about Dante. That he was an illegitimate child. That his childhood wasn't easy because of the fierce succession struggles of the Heigenberg dukedom. Even so, other than the fact that he silenced the mouths of the elders and seized the ducal throne through successive victories, I didn't even know why he built paradise. 

"... Ugh." 

A sharp headache pierced my brain. It was a symptom that always appeared when I tried to recall memories from my childhood, more specifically, from when I was ten years old when I lost my maternal grandfather and mother. 

I bit my lip tightly. Normally, I would have given up tormenting my own brain at this point. But... Why? 

Every time I heard Dante urging me to keep recalling, a strange compulsion seeped into my chest, feeling like I had to follow his words. It was as if I was missing something very important. 

That night. I was running through an endlessly dense forest. My breath was already reaching my chin, but I couldn't stop. 

"Huh, hah, huh-eup..." 

The young voice continued to sob. Covering my own mouth, I kept running. I would die if I didn't. 

'This isn't real' 

I vaguely realized that I was dreaming, but even so, the fear that seemed to have been brainwashed did not go away. 

"Huh, huh." 

As I was running, I eventually tripped on a rock and fell. I tried to get up, but a terrible pain crushed my knee. When I looked down, I saw that my knee was soaked in blood. There were countless bloodstains next to the wound. They were old, dried marks. 

I couldn't get up. I staggered like a deer that hadn't learned how to walk and eventually collapsed completely. 

"Huh, huh, uh, Mom. Grandpa..."

The cold, the darkness, the smell of blood stinging my nose. I was so scared of everything that I couldn't even think of making a sound and just sobbed. 

*** 

One of the servants cleaning the lobby of Count Lopez's residence whispered. 

"Did you see it? Today's <Imperial Morning>."

"Of course you did! 'Duke Heigenberg's Wedding Preparations, Full Analysis!!?"

When <Imperial Morning>, which had only published decent news, suddenly started spewing out gossip, the island's people were taken aback, but everyone began to enjoy the level of articles that even reported scandals in detail and precision as if proving that it was a first-class newspaper. There was even a story that <Imperial Morning>'s subscription rate soared by 10% in just one week. 

"Madame Evelyn was called in today." 

"Wow, it's a place where you can't get a reservation even if you wait a year." 

"Is it just Madame Evelyn? Designers and jewelers line up at the Duke's residence every day." 

"All the famous dress shops are running there and opening their catalogs." 

The Duke, who had been quiet for a while, began to move. There were rumors that a huge amount of gold coins were scattered over the island for Dante and Ariana's wedding. 

"What about the jewels? Yesterday, the Duke gifted Miss Ariana a diamond necklace totaling 10 carats!" 

"Wow..." 

One of the servants who had been absentmindedly exclaiming muttered. 

"I still can't believe it. Miss Ariana..." 

The servants exchanged glances. They all sighed as if they had made a promise. 

"I never thought she would become a Duchess." 

"That's what I'm saying." 

It was an unconventional marriage for Marquis Pedegreen as the daughter of a declining count's family, but the Duke was on a different level. 

"When on earth did she seduce the Duke? She was always a shut-in in her room." 

"I'm saying. To be honest, she was such a nondescript lady that I didn't even notice her even though we lived under the same roof." 

"She was pretty, but... wasn't Miss Elena always more popular?" 

"Ah, by the way, where did Miss Elena go?" 

"She's in her room, isn't she? Where would she go in this time of year? Oh, If she had known this would happen, she would have taken Miss Ariana in line." 

"That's what I'm saying. Then she would have followed Miss Ariana to the Duke's residence by now!" 

At that moment, the servants were grumbling. Knock, knock. 

Butler Wilhelm knocked on Elena's door. Elena, who was covering herself with the blanket, cried out. 

"I told you I hadn't eaten!" 

Elena cried out and hid back under the blanket. It had already been several hours since she had been locked in this room, even sending out her close maids. Even the servants were sick and tired of seeing her. The gazes were clearly mocking her for falling from grace due to a dirty scandal. 

Not long ago, they had been bowing down and trying to please her, hoping that she would throw them a single silver coin...

"It's Wilhelm, Miss." 

Elena lifted her head slightly at the voice coming from beyond the door. 

'Butler?' 

Butler Wilhelm had been working in this mansion since the days of Count Eduardo, the first Count of the Old World. He was an old and quiet man. Even after the incidents had occurred one after another, Wilhelm, unlike the other servants, did not laugh at or look down on Elena. However, he was not friendly either. 

"...What's going on?"

Elena asked defensively, sticking her head out of the blanket. The atmosphere in the house was literally a mess these days.

After the stage failed, Lopez House had to refund all the tickets that had been sold out. However, most of the refunds had not been paid yet. As the refunds were delayed day after day, the people banded together and sold their right to collect the money to the Imperial Bank. It was a waste of time to fret over getting a refund for a single ticket, and it was too much of a bother to just ignore it. 

The Lopez family suddenly found themselves in a situation where the Imperial Bank was urging them to repay their debts. Edward would work hard outside during the day and come back at night to drink heavily. The sound of bottles being thrown and servants screaming could be heard from time to time. She hated that kind of atmosphere in the house so much that she went out for a walk to get some fresh air and explain herself... 

Elena gritted her teeth as she recalled what had happened that afternoon.

"I heard you've been staying in your room since you came back from going out."

 "..."

"Did you happen to meet Marquis Pedegreen?" 

Elena's eyes widened at the voice coming from outside the door. 

"...How did the butler know that?"

"Seeing you so heartbroken, I thought that might be the reason." 

Elena bit her lower lip.

"There is one way to survive."

Lucas, who had started his story like that, told an incredible story.

"There is still a newspaper where our family has influence. I will connect you with a reporter there, so confess." 

"Confess...??" 

"Elena. Said that you attacked me."

Elena doubted her ears for a moment.

"What...??" 

"If you look closely, there is only one picture of us kissing openly. You, who admired me, kissed me then. The only time we met after that was because I wanted to persuade you not to do this."

Lucas's eyes sparkled as he calmly recited his plan. Elena licked her lips in astonishment. 

You want me to say that I attacked you? You were just trying to persuade me?

"That, now...? Then my reputation will fall even further than it is now!" 

"That doesn't matter, Elena."

Elena's eyes widened. Lucas grabbed her shoulder and whispered in a gentle voice.

"It's just a scandal anyway. It's just a little noisy in the system. Elena, I'll find you a good match abroad." 

"What the heck...?"

Elena touched her throbbing forehead and barely managed to calm her anger. 

Yes. He was born a high-ranking noble, so it was only natural that he would feel uneasy in this crisis for the first time. They say that when a family is shaken, a woman is the one who comes to her senses.

"Marquis, listen to what I have to say."

Elena clung to Lucas' chest.

"That's just running away, not a solution. What if my evil sister hasn't solved the crucial evidence yet? If I lie like that and my sister releases more explicit photos, then it's really over." 

"I'll deal with Ariana somehow-." 

"Don't run away with lies, let's confront it head-on."

Elena fluttered her eyelashes and gave Lucas a longing look.

"At first, I liked you, but as time passed, I came to love you because you were next to me. That's why I admit my wrongdoings and apologize."

In aristocratic society, a husband's infidelity was not a flaw. It was unusual for the other person to be a relative of the wife, but it wasn't that rare. Above all, Lucas wasn't even married to Ariana. So if he formally apologized for not keeping his fidelity in their engagement, the aristocracy would eventually accept him back. Then, she could use this disaster to her advantage.

"And then... Marry me, Marquis."

"... What?" 

"There will be a lot of uproar right now. I know. But think about it. We're in the cultural business. If we use it well, a scandal can actually be a means of publicity." 

"..." 

"I'm confident. I'm confident that I'll be a better wife than my sister."

Elena shyly revealed her dream. It was a dream of becoming a Marchioness that she had never been able to express while being entangled with Lucas because she was careful about what she said.

"My sister only stays in her room, so she lacks social skills and worldly wisdom. But I'm different. I'm just as beautiful as you, and I'm younger than you-" 

"Wait. Wait. Elena."

Lucas shook his head and let out a hollow laugh. Elena's eyes opened wide. What hung on his lips was an obvious sneer.

"You can't be my wife."


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments