FYERIL - Chapter 40 < (9th Cord For Insomnia (3) >




"..." 

Of course, I wasn't expecting applause or cheers, but this level of inaction was unexpected. I quietly moistened my lips which were strangely dry and thought. 

Was it useless? Did I do something in vain? 

'Well. He's someone I couldn't even put to sleep with strong alcohol.'

It was a semi-impulsive decision to give him this music as a gift. It occurred to me the moment I found him asleep, leaning against the terrace doorway yesterday. 

When I spent almost every night preparing for the stage, whenever I looked out the window, the lights in his office or study were always on. I just thought he must be a great workaholic. Until I saw Dante, who was closing his eyes as if he was dead yesterday.

'It's not that he doesn't sleep, it's that he can't sleep.'

A vicious and persistent demon that gnaws away at night. People called it insomnia. The man who seemed stronger than anyone else was also being consumed by that demon. The reason I could be sure was simple. I had nights when I suffered from the same symptoms. 

At one time, this music cured my insomnia which had gradually deepened while waiting for Lucas who never returned. 

'But I guess there are still individual differences.'

That was the moment I turned to look at the man who still had no words.

"..."

My eyes grew slightly wide. The eyes that looked like shadows due to the backlight were directed at me. The gaze stared straight at me without a single waver. 

I couldn't move an inch as if I was pierced by that gaze. I carefully took a deep breath and watched Dante's expression. I had become so good at reading reactions that I could accurately predict the success of this performance just by looking at the audience's expressions. However, I couldn't read that man's expression at all. 

Why was there no response or reaction?... What was the meaning of that gaze that didn't move a single bit? 

He suddenly started walking toward me. 

Taran. 

His startled fingers pressed the keys, making a sound. 

"..." 

The air was disturbed for a moment by the ridiculous sound, like a sound effect in a play. 

Heh. 

Dante let out a laugh and reached me. I was about to put my hand in embarrassment. Dante's hand overlapped under the piano, swallowing the back of my hand. Despite his cold appearance, his hands were warm. I could feel the calluses firmly embedded in each protruding part of his palm. 

I held my breath, accepting all those sensations without any sense of reality. 

"Talent." 

A large hand slowly turned my hand over. I felt a deep gaze quietly scanning my palm. As if to confirm whether I had played the music just a moment ago with this hand. Soon, he raised his gaze and met my eyes. I blankly watched Dante's eyes fold. 

"You're fascinating, after all." 

Thump thump. 

My heart pounded loudly. I felt my breathing becoming irregular and I clenched my fist. When I reflexively tightened my fist, Dante let me go. Even though my body temperature had dropped, my rapidly beating heart did not slow down. That person likes my music. Dante likes talented musicians. 

In my last life, he kept trying to recruit me, and in this life, he readily offered me a large sum of money for a single song. So it was not an appropriate reaction to feel embarrassed and strangely cringe like this. I should have felt proud and confident.

However, even when I tried to puff out my chest, it didn't work. All I could do now was barely hide my agitation. I was grateful that the darkness was covering my expression. I tried to look up at Dante, trying to put on an Indifferent expression. 

"It must have been thanks to your efforts that I was able to get an article in <Empire Dawn>, right?" 

If Dante hadn't taken action himself, there was no way that the conservative newspaper would have published an article this quickly. Of course, Dante must have acted in a way that was more beneficial to him. If Lucas and Elena's misdeeds were revealed to the world, my reputation as Dante's wife would rise in return. 

"It may be insignificant in return, but I couldn't think of anything else I could give you right now. It's a type of music that helps calm the mind and body. I heard that in the Kingdom of Ende, they even use this type of music for psychotherapy... If you like it, I'll write the sheet music and bring it to you." 

"The sheet music is fine." 

I looked up at Dante with surprised eyes at his unhesitating answer. 

"You can come and play it yourself. Whenever I want." 

"..." 

"For example, on nights when you can't sleep at all." 

The last words were vague, like a soliloquy. I blinked quickly. It was common for artists who received patronage from nobles to show off their talents to their patrons. However, my lips wouldn't open easily. Somehow... I felt like I shouldn't spend nights like this again. 

Instincts were sounding such a warning. Dante, who had been staring blankly at me without saying a word, suddenly said, 

"And you don't have to thank me. I do it because I enjoy it." 

"... Yes?"

When I opened my eyes wide at the unexpected answer, Dante's lips curled up. 

"You've been entertaining me quite a bit lately. Thanks to you, it's quite fun to watch. More than I expected." 

"..." 

"Of course, you don't have to thank me, but you'll have to pay a price, Lopez." 

The voice he spoke softly was captivating. Like a devil demanding a soul in exchange for granting a wish. 

"It's nice to see your revenge cruising along, but don't forget. What you've put up for using me." 

His gaze stared straight at me without a single waver. I couldn't move as if I was pierced by that gaze. I slowly nodded, feeling my palate dry up. 

"Of course. I'll do my best to fulfill my role as a Duchess." 

Dante smiled lightly, perhaps liking the obedient answer. 

"Starting tomorrow, people will come to visit. We have to hurry up with the wedding preparations." 

Dante's smile deepened a little as he nodded once more. Was he the type of person who smiled this often? 

Every time a smile appeared on his features that was filled with a cold feeling, my heart pounded loudly. 

"For your information." 

I blankly watched the smile on Dante's lips for a moment, then was slightly surprised by his next words. 

"I intend to make you the most precious bride in the capital." 

Another voice overlapped the low whisper.

"Don't be foolish and come this way. Who knows? I might treasure you like a jewel."

The days when I was dying miserably without even knowing what this misfortune was. The voice from the past, who had no connection with me, approached me, saying that he only recognized me and wanted my music. 

'Is it a coincidence?'

In both my past life and this life, you were the only one who said that you would treat me preciously. Is it just a coincidence that you are the only one who whispers the same thing to me at any time? 

"So be prepared." 

I bit my lips and lowered my eyes. Dante seemed to be looking down at me like that and then suddenly said, 

"But did you remember something you forgot?" 

"..."

That story again. After Dante said something meaningful last time, I racked my brain for a long time, but I couldn't find a clue. I moistened my lips slightly and said, 

"If you give me a hint..." 

"I would have said no."

Why on earth? 

I looked at him, unable to hide my resentment for a moment. As if he had read my gaze, Dante curled his lips. 

"Recall, Lopez."

"..."

I bit my lip tightly. This man is the only one who calls me that. Normally, 'Lopez' was used to refer to Edward, the head of the household. 

Could this unfamiliar title be one of the reasons why I'm strangely nervous around this person? 

The moment I opened my mouth to protest a little more, I held my breath. 

"I'm sorry, but I..." 

Dante, who was holding my chin, tilted his head. 

"I don't intend to make you wait that long." 

The hand that was holding my chin. The angle of my tilted head. What came to mind at that moment was the moment when those beautiful lips swallowed my breath. The heat and dizzying sensations of that time. It was so intense that I thought I'd never forget it. 

I clenched my fists so hard that my nails dug into my palms and bowed my head. 

"Well, I hope you have a good night." 

Then I ran out of the room as if I was running away. My face flushed at the faint laughter coming from behind me. 

*** 

I sighed as I returned to my bedroom. The breath I had been holding back came out deeply. 

What on earth could it be that I couldn't remember? 

Suddenly, I remembered what Dante had said when I first met him in Paradise.

"Nice to meet you, Your Highness." 

"First time?"

His expression was strangely frowning at that time. 

'Have we... met before?'


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments