RAMHM - Chapter 7 < Your Husband's 'Legitimate' Government >




After attending my own funeral, I acted like a crazy woman all day long. I woke up in the morning, rejoicing at my healthy body, then crying and feeling sad... 

When I got out of bed, I would read newspapers and gossip in a daze. There was no more news about me in the Imperial Daily. Moreover, whenever I had time, I would take out the cards in Noevian’s handwriting and read them over and over again.

'What on earth did Noah and Blie promise?'

It's a note without any greeting or ending, but it's strangely nerve-wracking. Noevian is a man who is polite even though he is a nobleman of a humble family. As far as I know, he doesn't even have a close friend.

"Friend?"

Blie Acacia, whose name cannot be mentioned in the gossip magazine, and they are friends? And Blie and Noevian, who are both bold and not very close to women?

"Relative?"

He is of royal blood. If he is related to Blie, then she must also be of royal blood. There is no way that Count Acacia can marry a young and beautiful woman of royal blood.

"Colleague?"

Judging by the reactions of the people in this mansion who flinched whenever I read a newspaper or a book, Blie was not a very intelligent person. The people that Noevian, who graduated at the top of his class at the academy, despised the most were also those who had no brains. Even looking at the attitude of Marge, who seemed to think of me as comfortable, it seems like that. 

Headmaid Marge was not a bad woman, but she was not a very polite person either. It wasn’t that much of an annoyance to me, who had only seen clever maids at the Grand Duchess’ residence, but there was a subtle contempt in Marge’s attitude, who treated Blie as if she were her niece, even though she was only a Countess in name. 

I slowly approached the mirror and looked at myself. Blie was very beautiful even to me. It was because she resembled me so much that it gave me goosebumps. It wasn’t like Noevian, the so-called iron-blooded prime minister, had just gotten the title of Grand Duke that he fell in love with at first sight. She wasn’t weak enough to break, and she was full of energy for her age. It's not that she looks worthless because she has a physical defect or an odd appearance.

'I must have looked stupid.'

But not anymore. I had briefly attended the academy, and Noevian had even praised me as the only woman in Ronta who could communicate well. In fact, I felt that the servants of the Count’s house had changed their view of me a little. I hadn’t just been acting like a crazy woman for the past few days. I had even ordered them to change the bedroom and living room, which were filled with horrible pink, to be a little less horrible. I had even divided up the work of the head butler, who seemed to be overburdened with work. 

As the pink in the house disappeared, Marge cheered, and as the workload decreased, the old butler’s face began to warm up. Unlike the servants of the Grand Duke’s house, who had never tried to have a proper conversation with me, there were more and more people who were asking me, “What should I do about this?”

It was clear that they also needed someone who could properly run the household. I had no idea what would happen in the future, but I began to interact with them for now, wondering if I should become attached to the people in this household.

'I have to find out soon.'

What on earth did Blie and Noevian promise? 

Noevian invited the vassal's wife personally, and even delivered this strange note, but never came to visit. It was concerning that he didn't do anything after that, considering his uncharacteristic behavior. He wasn't surprised to see this face at the funeral, so Blie and he must know each other.

'If you look closely, will you know that I'm Adrienne?'

I was excited by the strange anticipation that he would recognize me if he looked at me a little closer. We had been together for several years. There was no more. I couldn't just wait for Noevian to contact me first without any promises.

'I have to go find Noah.'

But how? 

Without the seal of Count Acacia, it would be impossible for my letter to pass the roof of the Grand Duke's residence. I walked around the simple garden of the Count's house, anxiously watching for anyone who might hand me another note or come to visit. 

Soon, a loud noise was heard nearby, and the aforementioned face came running into the garden.

“Oh my, where have you been this time! If you’re going somewhere, at least tell me!”

"Why?"

“The Master is back! I thought he went out and didn’t even know he was in the garden.”

“!”

“The Master has returned to the mansion after a few months, so you should go see him quickly.”

“...Did he want to see me?”

“What are you talking about? You should go even if he doesn’t ask you to. That’s what a married couple is like!”

Yes, indeed. The duties of someone's wife were still unfamiliar to me. Count Acacia, who had been away from the mansion, returned after a few months...

After hesitating for a moment, I nodded and followed Marge to the office on the third floor. The sudden appearance of a new husband was disconcerting, but maybe it wasn't such a bad thing. Thinking about it another way, he was someone who could give me information right now.

*** 

Knock knock.

The door was already open, to the point where it was embarrassing to knock. The study was monotonous. A bleak space without a single painting or vase. It was a stark contrast to Blie’s bedroom, which was filled with all sorts of beautiful things. 

Leaving Marge outside, I cautiously stepped in and saw Count Acacia leaning against the large window next to the study desk. He was standing by the window, looking outside. It was the first time I had met Count Acacia and Blie, so I was a little nervous.

“Your Grace.”

"...Ma'am."

“You’re back.”

I bowed my head slightly toward the Count, who turned his head at the sound of footsteps. The old Count Acacia bowed his head slightly to me in a hunched posture. Then, naturally, he sat down on the sofa and motioned for me to sit down as well. That sight was so affectionate that I tried to relax.

“Have you met His Highness the Grand Duke?”

In an instant, silence fell. My heart pounded and my palms became sweaty. I did not answer for the time being. I simply stared at the Count without saying yes or no. 

As I was thinking about what to say, amber eyes as if looking at a disobedient daughter, scanned me. It was strange to see the vassal’s face looking so calm, even though his wife seemed to have gone out without a single maid, and he was asking if I had met his master.

"...No."

I, who was stiff with confusion and tension, barely managed to open my mouth. Then a voice mixed with a short sigh came out from the other end.

“Are you not planning on keeping your promise to His Highness the Grand Duke?”

My heart felt like it was falling to the floor. I sat up straight and stiffened my body. I finally saw no contempt or anger in the Count’s face. Naturally, he asked me about Noevian and if I had met him. 

Thump! Thump! Thump! Thump! 

My heart had been separated beating faster. Blie, who might have been a commoner, from a humble family. And Count Acacia, who was respectful to her. The conversation did not feel like a couple. And if I am not mistaken, his face was a little pale.

'Like someone who is really scared.'

“...What promise?”

What on earth was that promise? Did Noevian, who was so careful that he didn’t even write his own name on a note, tell this vassal about that promise? 

The Count looked surprised at my words. Then, holding his heart, he slowly got up and walked towards me. It was a short distance, but he was out of breath for a long time. The old vassal with a weak body soon knelt down in front of me.

“...Count!”

I tried to wake him up in surprise, but he opened his mouth faster. The Count held my knee tightly with his old hands and spoke desperately.

“Please, save me, Ma’am!”

“...!”

“Please, keep your promise, Madam. I don’t want to die a dog’s death in my later years! Please...”

“Get up, Count!”

“I’ve put it off this long, and it’s reaching its limit. At my age, other people are just leisurely playing poker, but I’m the only one who’s still working hard, going back and forth between His Highness the Grand Duke’s territory and the capital!”

I was confused once again. A man begging his wife to spare his life. I just asked what the promise was. Isn't it so strange?

“Don’t you know that His Highness is not very merciful? The Grand Duchess has become like this, and the Grand Duke has become even more vicious and is pressuring me... Even in this old body, I can clearly feel what You want.”

“I... I’m just curious about what that promise is.”

“If I tell the Grand Duke that, will my neck be intact?”

He said, wrapping his trembling hands around his neck.

Eyes were filled with fear as if their throats would fall off at any moment. Pale lips that said their throats were hanging on a promise. It wasn't a light promise like, let's meet up and have tea time. 

I hid my trembling hands and stared at the Count who was still kneeling. My mouth was so dry that even dry saliva couldn't pass.

“I don’t want to be involved anymore. I don’t want to be stuck between you two. In the first place, wasn’t the reason you had this ridiculous wedding with me to become His Highness’s legal mistress?”

“!”

My stiff body suddenly loosened as if it had never been there. At the same time, it felt as if someone had pushed me off the cliff! 

In the premonition that the ground beneath my feet had collapsed, the Count’s incessant muttering did not reach me. I didn’t need to go to Noevian to find out what the promise was. The image of my husband, grieving in front of my body, flashed before my eyes. 

My heart... hurts. But, but...

'...Yes, that's right. I, no, Blie... this Blie...'

According to my husband's vassal, Countess Acacia...

 In this Blie, Countess Acacia was the mistress of my husband, Noevian Trovica.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments