RAMHM - Chapter 8 < The Most Foolish Fool, Countess Acacia >



The Count's pleading voice did not reach my ears. Instead, I suddenly remembered what Bianca had firmly told me before I became the Grand Duchess.  

'Lien, even if the Grand Duke has a government... just pretend you don't know.'

Everyone keeps their mouths shut and says they have another lover. Bianca said that as advice for me, who doesn't have a mother. At that time, the words I didn't pay attention to came to my heart along with the Count's sobs. 

At that time, I was so discouraged because of my already weak body that I couldn't even sit up on the bed by myself...  

'If he takes another healthy and beautiful woman as his government, how can I tell him not to do so?'

I think I also had those thoughts very occasionally. That's why I repeated the cycle of suffering alone and then felt relieved when I saw his loving gifts and letters. Because he was always affectionate and warm. Because he treated me so delicately, like a glass doll.

'But why?'

Why did Noevian take a woman who looked so much like me as his wife? The face, height, body shape, and even the color of her eyelashes were the same. What on earth could he have discovered in this woman? 

Black hair was abundant in this country. Most people passing by outside had black or brown hair. Was Noevian really so terribly consistent that she caught his eye?  And if so, what about the passionate feelings he and I had shared for so long? 

If he had wanted it so badly, we could have slept together. My body wasn’t that glassy from the beginning of our marriage.  

'Because you are precious.'

Those words warmed the nervous bride’s body and mind and made me believe that this man was the one I could trust and be with. At 20, I was young. At 28, he was much older than me. 

It was a well-known story in the noble society that Grand Duke Noevian, who had a young bride, was very devoted to her and her in-laws, the Duke of Piretta. Adrienne was a beloved Grand Duchess. At least to her husband, Noevian Trovica. 

*** 

One day when the dreary wind blew. Neil felt a terrible chill and was more nervous than ever. His master, Lord Rhodnes, had not been able to sleep since returning to the capital. Someone might have thought that the husband of the Grand Duchess was Rhodnes himself. 

Everyone thought it was the Prince’s whim, but Neil, who had served him closely for two years, thought differently. Lord Rhodnes was clearly shocked by the death of the Grand Duchess. The reason was easy to understand. Isn't there a colder wind blowing right now than in the northern Trovica territory?

"My Lord."

This was because, in the palace where he should have been treated with respect, Rhodnes, with bandages wrapped around his bare body, a cast on his arm, and only a jacket on, was facing his uncle with a cold expression.

'Please, don't say anything weird and just pass by.'

Neil, standing behind, held his breath at the ominous atmosphere. The pale face of Grand Duke Noevian looked dangerous enough to make anyone want to comfort him. The Grand Duke was the first to bow his head slightly. His blue eyes, which were always sharp and cold, had dark shadows under them and he looked thin. 

On the other hand, Rodnes, who was equally pale but seemed to be filled with all sorts of light, did not bow his head. His eyes, which were shining red in the light, looked down at his uncle, who was about the same height as him.

'Is Adrienne Piretta really dead?'

All he had to do was spit out that one sentence. Despite his arrogant expression, Rhodnes's mouth was so dry that he couldn't even roll his tongue.

“They’re having a useless event called the victory ceremony...”

“Congratulations on your victory, Your Highness.”

“Of course, the Grand Duke will grace the occasion.”

“...”

From behind, Neil gently tugged at Rhodnes's jacket as if to tell him not to open his mouth, but his mouth did not stop.

“I won the battle that the Grand Duke personally sent me to, so wouldn’t I be disappointed if you didn’t come?”

“As you know...”

Noevian's blue eyes were turned directly to Rhodnes.

“I am in mourning right now.”

“...”

“I must watch over my wife’s final journey, so I will now retire.”

Soon after, Noevian's rough voice echoed through the cold hallway. Rhodnes forced himself to tilt his head. The last path. His ears became deaf at those words.

“...I’ll go pay my respects.”

Noevian forced a smile on his face. It was unclear whether it was a gesture of gratitude or something else. Noevian, who showed a subtle and sad smile, soon lowered his head and left. 

Neil, who had been watching this pointless fight with trembling hands and feet, approached Rhodnes, who was standing still.

“Have you returned from the funeral, Your Highness?”

“I haven’t checked the body, so I haven’t paid my respects yet.”

“The report of His Highness’s visit must have already reached the Grand Duke’s ears.”

“It doesn’t matter.”

“But Your Highness, the Grand Duke has not produced the body since the first day of the funeral.”

Vincenzo, who had been quiet, spoke up.

“..."

“He reported directly to His Majesty the Emperor that I did not want the Grand Duchess’ body to become a spectacle.”

“Wow...Isn’t that coming out pretty strong? They say he’s the romantic of the century, and as expected...”

“Even if you are the Grand Duke, how many days can you hold out? This is a procedure that even the late Empress Letina could not avoid. If you wish to pay your respects formally, I will follow the procedure.”

“There is no need for that.”

"Yes...?"

“There’s no way that kid would give up the body.”

“What is that...”

As if letting out a long-held breath, Rhodnes, who was running his fingers through his hair, took a deep breath and suddenly opened his mouth again.

“...Send that fucking victory celebration invitation to Count Acacia’s residence.”

“Suddenly?”

“He is a vassal of the Grand Duke’s family, so he probably won’t attend?”

If the lord doesn't want to go, how can the vassal laugh and chatter there? 

Neil muttered to Vincenzo and then suddenly looked up at Rhodnes again.

"If...?"

“The Lady of that house is a young woman. Then she must have a maid who always follows her around.”

Neil and Vincenzo both stopped dead in their tracks, their eyes wide open.

“Do you want to meet Lady Marge in person?”

“Why is the maid of Count Acacia suddenly...!”

The hallway where the Grand Duke disappeared, standing tall and staring for a long time, disappeared in another direction without answering their questions. 

*** 

I stayed in the mansion for a while in shock. I was flipping through the newspapers and gossip that Marge brought me, but my will had disappeared and my body that had been brimming with strength had sagged. 

“A ball to celebrate the victory of His Highness the Second Prince of Lords. What are the latest fashion dresses and hat brands that will captivate the veiled, beautiful, and dangerous unmarried prince?!?”

As I flipped through the gossip, it was all about the Second Prince. It seemed that the nobles were quite interested in the news that he had recently returned to the capital earlier than scheduled after wiping out all the remnants of the Western rebels and monsters. 

It was understandable. The Second Prince of Lords had not visited the capital for several years. The Crown Prince and his wife took the lead in external activities, and the Princes and Princesses below them did not show their faces here and there unless they were close friends. 

Second Prince Rhodnes was often mentioned in gossip because of his outstanding character, but he also traveled to battlefields to build up his achievements rather than to attend parties with music and dance. Perhaps when his older brother, the Crown Prince, ascends to the throne, his achievements will be recognized and he will become a Grand Duke or a Duke of a land like Altolan.

'Just like Noevian did.'

As I thought of Noevian, my heart suddenly became heavy.  

'I don't want to be entangled with you anymore. I don't want to be stuck between you two. In the first place, wasn't the reason you had this ridiculous wedding with me to become His Highness's legal mistress?'

Count Acacia told me clearly that the reason Blie married him was to become Noevian's 'legitimate' mistress.

'That's not even funny.'

In the first place, where is there such a thing as a legitimate government? 

That would implicitly mean that they followed the customs of the aristocratic society that did not allow unmarried men and women to be their governments. Even if the spouse had both eyes wide open, this empire, which was very generous in allowing a government, washed away its guilt by specifying the qualifications for the government as already married people.

"Ha."

It felt really dirty to me as someone who didn't know anything about it, but that's how everyone lives. Everyone...

“Madam. I heard that the dresses that have been fitted have arrived.”

"Dress?"

The one who broke the pessimistic thoughts was the maid, Jonah. Jonah, who was in charge of me along with the head maid, Marge, was a child who often spoke to Blie as if she had not been afraid of Blie before.

“Yes, they remake it as you instructed me last time.”

I thought about the things crammed into the dressing room. Originally, I rarely had to wear clothes outside. However, in the name of maintaining dignity and as a gift from Noevian, I had quite a few clothes, but Blie had an absurdly large number of clothes compared to the size of the mansion.

“You said you definitely wanted to make your debut this season, right?”

When I furrowed my eyebrows and didn't think of answering, Jonah asked curiously. 

A debutante. Originally, a debutante is not a one-time thing but is held throughout the season at parties. Of course, I originally received a proposal from Noevian right after my first debutante, so I didn't participate in many parties...

“I... haven’t even had my debutante party yet?”

“That’s what you said.”

“I thought I was twenty-two?”

“Yes! You said to the Count that you would burn down the mansion if he did not prepare you properly because you were so resentful that you had not had a debutante party by the age of twenty-two.”

In an instant, my face turned bright red. In fact, it wasn't even my words, but I was the one who was embarrassed because I had taken over this body. What on earth was this woman thinking when she said such things? 

In any case, it was clear that she was not of noble birth.

“So... where are my dresses now?”

*** 

Mathias, who worked in Madame Leblais's dress shop, swallowed hard. Countess Acacia, who was known as the most foolish of fools, was wiggling her eyebrows while looking at the bill today for some reason. She had no discerning eye for things and was a fool, but she had a great temper. 

He felt dizzy when he recalled the time when she threw a perfume bottle at him while complaining about the poor finishing of his dress and almost broke his head.

'But how much do I know if I know?'

It was impossible to fool great ladies, but ladies from such humble families who were trying to keep up with the great nobles were easy to fool. If she started by saying, “You don’t know what you’re talking about, but if you were to talk about this part...”, there would be countless ladies who would nod their heads, fooled by his flowery words. 

Countess Acacia was one of those customers. She would order “the best” or “the most splendid” things that didn’t match her finances, and she couldn’t even tell if they were real jewels or not. But...

“You’ve really done a great job of trying to make the fraud legal.”

The cold voice of Countess Acacia, the most foolish of fools, echoed through the main hall.


Previous                Next



Support Novellate!

        Buy Me A Coffee

Comments